Start by marking “I Want to Be an Astronaut” as Want to Read:
I Want to Be an Astronaut

I Want to Be an Astronaut

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  31 reviews
From picture-book master Byron Barton, this is the perfect story for young readers who love outer space and want to know more about how NASA astronauts do their job.

Up into the sky goes the space shuttle! Once in orbit, the astronauts get a taste of ready-to-eat food, experience zero gravity, go for space walks, and even fix a satellite. It's fun to fly aboard the shuttle.
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published June 30th 1988 by HarperCollins (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about I Want to Be an Astronaut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want to Be an Astronaut

Vivian
What a good book to "launch" a library pre-school story time!

We began with our usual "Hello Everybody" action song.
--clap our hands
--drum our legs
--pat our cheeks
--reach for the stars
Good job everybody! Can you look at the stamp on your hands and tell me what story time is about today? (Yes, we stamp each child's hand as they arrive--they love this). Rocket ships! Hey, look at this book!

Hold up the book and read the first page
"I want to be an astronaut and fly on a..." what does that look like (
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
My 4 year old loves this very simple book. For me as an adult I wondered about its very simplicity, but my son was able to take these pictures and imagine a world flying the Shuttle. I did not have the heart to tell him it was being mothballed and who knows when we will return to space.
Amber Lewis
I Want to be an Astronaut is a fiction about a young girl who wants to be an astronaut and go into outer space. The young girl imagines what it would be like to do regular activities. She thinks about such things as having ready-to-eat meals, sleep in zero gravity, and walk around in space.
As a literacy teacher, I do not think it would be wise to use this book in a classroom. Although this text is one that may be an easy read for children, I don’t believe it is appropriate for instructional use.
Nick
I'll always remember this book as the first my daughter chose to take out of the library. Its colorful illustrations are ideal to her current age, and while she wasn't particularly interested in the story the same way she currently is with anything that has to do with an animal, she did not crawl away halfway through it, which, at this point, is a minor victory for any book not written by Eric Carle or featuring Sophie the giraffe.
Mary
I'm going to read this at my space story time today. I really like this one because it shows a diverse crew of astronauts. Boys, girls, and children of all colors will see themselves on this space mission.
Jana
Cute picture book that tells about what happens when a space shuttle goes into orbit.
Danielle
This book is a good introduction to outter space and astronauts. It is now a bit outdated because it includes the shuttle, but I think that is ok. There are simple pictures with primary colors that are fun to look at. There should be more females (there is one or none depending on the way you look at it. I suppose they could all just be women with very short hair...) in the crew, although there are two non-white crew members so that is something.
Melissa Gordon
This book is great for the science fiction genre! It goes through the adventures of an astronaut and how they have to do everyday things that we do but much more different! This book will definitely get kid's imaginations going. The illustrations are engaging for children and it's a great read! You could use this book to introduce a science section about space in a classroom! It's great!
Mary
This is a great story for kids who want to be astronauts or even just learn about the kinds of things that astronauts do. The text is very brief, but there are lots of new vocabulary words and concepts that might need to be explained to children who are hearing them for the first time. The pictures are colorful and easy to see, which make this a good read aloud book.
Mr. George
great for toddlers and prek.
Vicki
Great illustrations in true Byron Barton fashion. Unfortunately this is a bit out dated with the Shuttle program ended. I used this for Tiny Tots Story Time but would probably be better for PreSchool age. This book did provide great opportunities for new vocabulary for words like: crew, gravity.
Elizabeth S
Simple story about wanting to be an astronaut. Good for the young with short attention spans. It is a bit dated, now, because it talks about wanting to fly on the space shuttle, and the shuttles have been retired.
Paula
Very simple book with very simple but colorful illustrations that can be read to toddlers too.
A young child thinks about what it would be like to be an astronaut and go out on a mission into space.
Sally Staples
This is a nice book to introduce young children to space and being an astronaut. The vocabulary is perfect for introducing. The illustrations are colorful and large. Great book for the young learner.
Felicity The Magnificent
Someone wanted to be an astronaut. He wanted to be a member of the crew. He wanted to fly into outer space and sleep in no gravity, then come back to earth. -by Felicity
Phoenix
Phoenix loves LOVES space shuttles and astronaut so I had high hopes for the book but it was just OK. Wish the text was a bit more interesting and exciting.
Haley Lathrop
Great book to use for a variety of purposes in the K-1st classroom. I read this to my kindergarten class, and we did a whole lesson on career concepts.
jacky
William really enjoys this one. Like all Barton books, it provides the perfect amount of information for very young readers.
Kristie
Not too terribly exciting, however the matter-of-fact child will appreciate the simplicity.
Pam
The kids really really like this book and it works well with groups. Love the pictures
Larry Carter
this book is a great way to introduce space travel and the concept of outterspace
Emerson
Concise. Bold simple drawings. I just want to be an astronaut.
AmniconStudio
Not really much to say. My son, age 7, seemed to enjoy it.
Stacy
Cute book for anyone interested in space and astronauts.
Alfajirikali
Big, bold graphics that intrigue and stimulate little ones.
Susan
His books are perfect offerings for the toddler set.
Christy
This book was a little too simplistic.
  • I Love Bugs!
  • Road Work Ahead
  • Apple Farmer Annie
  • Harry and the Terrible Whatzit
  • Blue Goose
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • Two at the Zoo