Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)

Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  40,580 ratings  ·  1,382 reviews
Long ago, the Storyteller claimed, in this first book of THE BELGARIAD, the evil god Torak drove men and Gods to war. But Belgarath the Sorcerer led men to reclaim the Orb that protected men of the West. So long as it lay at Riva, the prophecy went, men would be safe.

But Garion did not believe in such stories. Brought up on a quiet farm by his Aunt Pol, how could he know t...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Del Rey (first published 1982)

Pawn of Prophecy by David EddingsMagician by Raymond E. FeistThe Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Elfstones Of Shannara by Terry BrooksQueen of Sorcery by David Eddings
Best Fantasy of the 80s
1st out of 203 books — 224 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMagician by Raymond E. FeistLegend by David Gemmell
Best Heroic Fantasy
7th out of 427 books — 595 voters

More lists with this book...

John Conrad
Jan 15, 2008 John Conrad rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone of any age who can read
Eddings has really created a beloved series of books that can be recommended to young and old alike. It is not deep or etremely thought provoking, it's just an enjoyable combination of adventure, humor, and fun. Garion, a naive farm boy, finds out that he is not ordinary at all. As he discovers his powers, he grows to adulthood through the ten books that comprise the Belgariad and the Mallorean. Critics might find some elements a bit formulaic, but few can deny that it is a fun series to read. F...more
Brad
At Gordon Ramsey's Pétrus restaurant (1 Kinnerton Street / Knightsbridge, London / SW1X 8EA...in case you're interested), I can get a "Roasted beef fillet with braised shin, baked celeriac and Barolo sauce" for the reasonable price of £65.00 pounds.

I haven't tried that dish yet (I probably never will), but it sounds fabulous. What I have tried, though, is my Mom's "Roast beef, mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables." I still make it whenever my kids are in the mood, and it costs me about $15.00...more
W.C.
Aug 19, 2007 W.C. added it
Review here for the entire Belgariad.

I noticed that most of the reviewers give this a nostalgic loved-this-when-I-was-young rating. And they're right to do so. This is the perfect series of books for a young reader: clever enough to hold its own, exciting without being too graphic, and the youth don't notice just how bad the prose is.

I mean, it's hilariously bad. It's not that the Eddings machine can't write for beans; it's that the writing does all the hackneyed nasty cliched things that you're...more
Wendell Adams
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

There is nothing I hate more than trying to review one of my all-time favorite books from my teenage years. We all know the reason: the book just never lives up to your memories of its perfection. A fact - which if we are honest with ourselves - is inevitable, because we personally have changed too much, the world has changed too much, and our tastes have changed too much since the initial reading. This is true to a certain extent with David Edding’s Pa...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, I see all the glowing reviews and all the 4 and 5 star ratings... sigh. Here I go again.

While I don't actually dislike this book I'm pretty far from liking it either. Mostly I struggled to stay awake and keep my mind on it. It starts out slow meanders around trying to find a plot in the midst of it's standard epic fantasy stereotypes and finishes telling me I should get the next book.

Not for now, thanks.

The book wants very badly to be a standout epic. I mentioned elsewhere that it felt...more
Barbara
I enjoyed the Belgariad books when I read them in high school, but looking at them now, there's a lot I can pick apart that I wouldn't have as a younger reader. And there was never a time, even as a younger reader, when I didn't want the character of Ce'Nedra to die a horrible death.
Phoebe
This is a review of The Belgariad, a fantasy series that includes the books: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit, Castle of Wizardry, and Enchanter's End Game.

Are the cares of life getting you down? Sky rocketing gas prices, financial and housing markets in ruins, high unemployment, an unending war sucking dry the country's coffers and recession looming on the horizon. Rather than resort to drink or despair, get away with some escapist fantasy! I read The Belgariad series when...more
Patricia
Aug 24, 2007 Patricia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fans
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SOME THINGS YOU MAY CONSIDER AS SPOILERS, though, I think they are just nuances because I'm not telling huge chunks of the story.

I like this book because I like Harry Potter, and they are very similar, but I’ll get to that later.

This is the first book in a series of five called The Belgariad, which chronicles the quest of a boy who learns he is a sorcerer. His parents were killed when he was a baby, and he lives with his aunt. Sound familiar? This book was published in 1982....more
Nathan
Sep 27, 2009 Nathan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Nathan by: Friends, Authors
Shelves: high-fantasy
When we're all looking for a good book to read, we usually look to our favourite authors and our best friends and trust their recommnendations as to what we should try next. Such as it was for me.
The Belgariad was suggested to me by just about everyone I knew who enjoyed fantasy, and a number of my favourite authors. Imagine my surprise when I start reading and keep waiting for the story's plot to begin, and it begins to dawn on me that no such relief will be arriving.
The problems I have with th...more
Nicolo Yu
This is the first of a series of books by David Eddings that comprises his epic Belgariad, the story of a young boy thrust into the eternal contest between two competing prophesies.

This is an important book if you follow Eddings’ work as he introduces themes here in this volume and the rest of the series that he continues and repeats in his other works. Eddings pens tales of Gods meddling in mortal lives and how the gods themselves are pawns in the greater scheme of the universe.

I found the book...more
Eric
May 23, 2007 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially fantasy fans
Recommended to Eric by: Bob Egan
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
This is my favorite fantasy series of all time. I have read the Belgariad so many times, the characters Eddings created in it feel like old friends. And reading it never gets old.

To me, it is the pinnacle of contemporary epic fantasy. It is not only interesting characters and exciting adventure that made this so great, it was the believable interaction between the characters and the moments of humor sprinkled throughout the story.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I can't quite make up my mind whether I like this one enough to try the next book in the series. On the negative side, this one is a bit too reminiscent of Lord of the Rings and too many other fantasy tales without bringing anything all that original to the mix. It's no ripoff like Sword of Shannara, but there is this ordinary young lad, Garion, on a farm with a destiny (tm) who picks up companions on a quest involving a dark object coveted by a dark lord. Like Garion, I also find it a bit much...more
Leon Aldrich
While this series doesn't quite measure up to Magician: Apprentice, The Riddlemaster of Hed, or Lord Foul's Bane, still it should be one series on everyone's list to complete.

This will be my third go around with the Belgariad. I wanted a fresh perspective. And even though this series doesn't quite reach 4 stars, this author has a happy place in my heart.
Shelly
This was fun if a bit on the lighter side from what I was expecting. It had a bit of a young adult feel to me. That fine, I just was expecting more of a epic fantasy in the traditional sense. I still thought it had a good story and I really enjoyed all of the characters, though Garion, the main character, grated from time to time. However, I'll read on in the series as I enjoyed myself.
Max
May 28, 2012 Max rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a sweet and simple introduction to true fantasy.
Recommended to Max by: My too-cool neighbour.
Shelves: favorites
This is one of those books that fit into the category of "If you EVER diss this book, I'll tear your face off". I KNOW the writing style is simplistic and childlike at times, I KNOW the imagery is somewhat rose-coloured, I KNOW that some of the characters have deal-breaker personality traits, I KNOW the plot has some lovely lacy holes, but I DON'T CARE.

This was the very first fantasy novel I ever picked up. It was loaned to me by a neighbour when she was 15 and I was 12 - I thought she was the c...more
Jim
This is the beginning of a fun, 5 book series. There is another 5 book series, the Mallorean, that comes after plus several additional books, "Polgara", 'Belgarath' & the 'Mrin Codex'. If you stick with the first 5 & maybe the second 5, you'll be happy. Unless this world totally captivates you, reading the 3 additional books is kind of a waste. While there are some tidbits you can pick up, mostly they're a rehash from different POV's of the other 10 books.

That said, the world captivated...more
Stephen
4.0 stars. Good beginning to solid Epic Fantasy series. The Belgariad is standard reading for fantasy buffs and it is certainly well done and enjoyable. My favorite aspect of the book are some of the supporting cast (Silk being my favorite of the bunch).
Damian Dubois
Pawn of Prophecy and the remaining four books that make up The Belgariad series are for me pure comfort reading, something that always manages to put a smile on my face and entertains me throughout.

Like many others I cut my fantasy teeth on David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series, once in my early teens and then again in my early twenties. And it was during last week and in between books that I heard the siren song of Eddings once more and knew that I had to heed the call.

I have read other...more
Lydia Presley
I love a good fantasy romp.

My brother-in-law has been after me to experience David Eddings' works and presented me with the first three books in The Belgariad series for Christmas last year. I was thrilled and apprehensive because, you see, I have this problem when it comes to fantasy - I get completely and totally sucked in.

That's not a bad thing, it's just fantasy has this ability to make me forget to eat, sleep, drink ... basically forget everything but reading. I walk around the house with...more
Julie
When I first started reading Pawn of Prophecy (Belgariad part 1) I was instantly drawn into this fantastic world that David Eddings created. The story is full of wonderful and intriguing characters, and that is what moves this story along. The plot has been done before, but it's slightly reinvented for this story. Garion is expertly written, and as I read his story I felt as if it were me who was taking this journey. Not many books have done this. Belgarath is reminiscent of Tolkien's Gandalf, o...more
Naeem
My 11 year old is a avid reader and rates books by David Eddings as his favorite. I wanted to see what he was reading. I thought one novel would do the trick. But I ended up reading the full 5 (the five are really one book).

Fantastic stuff. Different and similar to Pullman's Dark Matter series, Tolkien, and the Harry Potter stuff. Like Pullman, you get the sense that the author is working out something important. Like the Tolkien you are transported into a different world.

Maps are important.

I...more
Nan
While I was cleaning off my shelves yesterday, this series caught my eye. It had been almost 20 years since I'd read them, and I wanted to decide whether I should keep them on the shelf, box them, or give them away. In order to make up my mind, I started reading.

I was happy to discover that Eddings was a much better writer than I realized. I'd remembered his humor and the witty back-and-forth dialogue among the characters. I'd remembered the running gags (such as Barak's horses and their dislike...more
Jøℌαᾔηα »ℑ'м α ℓїттł℮ мøяℯ тℌαη υşεℓℯşş«
Jan 12, 2013 Jøℌαᾔηα »ℑ'м α ℓїттł℮ мøяℯ тℌαη υşεℓℯşş« rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jøℌαᾔηα »ℑ'м α ℓїттł℮ мøяℯ тℌαη υşεℓℯşş« by: Miriam
I really enjoyed this. Wasn't expecting to ... I was really wary of all the magic and gods - I'm not a fan of intense magic, and I was prepared to put it down if it got too bad. I was impressed, though. David Eddings' writing style is beautiful - he seems to pick exactly the right words for the right places. I was constantly going "Wow, I would have never thought to put that word there, but hey, it works perfectly!" He has a habit of using a more everyday word, that you wouldn't want to use beca...more
Wulfae
In the middle of listening to this book, and so far... I absolutely hate the aunt. There is a total of one main female character, and she's stupid. She keeps harping on our main character, insisting that he can't do anything. I get that it is difficult for someone to see their child grow up, and that she wants to protect him from whatever his destiny is, but it is driving me CRAZY that she is so over protective. And diminishes everything that he is interested in.

Also, when the kid asks a questio...more
Rhapsody
Mar 17, 2007 Rhapsody rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: newcomers to the fantasy genre
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This was one of the first fantasy books I ever read. It's a little formulaic and not at all spectacular like Bakker and Tolkein, but at the time it sucked me right in. Most of the standard fantasy elements are included in this series; the farmboy with the fantastic powers and great destiny, the eclectic group of travelers (including a wizard and a thief, so original) searching for an object of power, and the evil god that is slowly awakening. All in all it's a good read.
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Mr Wolf, the storyteller, says that according to the prophecy, the Evil god Torak seeks domination over the world, but the world remains safe as long as the Orb of Aldur is in Riva. However, farm-boy Garion thinks that this is only a story and has lived a good and quiet life with his Aunt Pol. But, when the orb is stolen, Garion realises that his life has been a lie, and is led on a quest to different lands that wil...more
Hwango
Eleanor
Meh? After reading high fantasy from the likes of George RR Martin and Robin Hobb it's tough to step down several notches in quality. This was recommended (and purchased) for me by my boyfriend who devoured the entire series six times and generally has a good track record for suggesting fantasy fiction. Though I can see the appeal of these books especially to someone new to the genre I just couldn't get enthusiastic. The protagonist is a whiny adolescent kid who realistically represents a child...more
Karen
My copy of this is a first edition from 1982 and I'm pretty sure that's the year I first read this book because I remember waiting, anxiously, for each book in the series to be published. I tried re-reading it again today, but alas, my very well-worn first edition now makes me sneeze.

In deference to my allergies, this review will have to be mostly from memory. The bits I did read today struck me as having a mildly dated style, but still very readable and quickly absorbing. This series follows th...more
Rachel
Young Garion, who has grown up on a farm with no idea of who he is or who his family was, is about to be dragged into a whole new level of reality. His Aunt Pol is more than he knows, and his mysterious friend Mister Wolf (who takes Garion to the tavern even when Aunt Pol specifically tells him not to) has seen more than Garion thinks. Soon he finds himself chasing something he doesn't know with a huge man from Cherek and a slippery, sarcastic merchant. The troop travels in disguise until Garion...more
Book Addicts: Idea for August read. 2 4 Jul 12, 2014 07:16PM
How racist is this series? 157 722 Jun 04, 2014 09:04PM
The Nerd Herd: Pawn of Prophecy 1 3 Feb 22, 2014 01:44PM
Fantasy Book Club: Planning to read, first impressions 24 66 Jan 31, 2014 06:28PM
Fantasy Book Club: Finished Reading - Reactions, SPOILERS OK 48 112 Dec 31, 2013 11:45AM
the start of a book 9 95 Jul 28, 2013 12:51PM
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • Legend (Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The Prophet of Akhran (Rose of the Prophet, #3)
  • The Mirror of Her Dreams
David Eddings was an American author who has written several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, is uncredited as co-author on many of his early books, but he has lately acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he...more
More about David Eddings...
Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3) Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5) Belgarath the Sorcerer Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4) Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)

“We're living in momentous times, Garion. The events of a thousand years and more have all focused on these very days. The world, I'm told, is like that. Centuries pass when nothing happens, and then in a few short years events of such tremendous importance take place that the world is never the same again."
I think that if I had my choice, I'd prefer one of those quiet centuries," Garion said glumly.
Oh, no," Silk said, his lips drawing back in a ferretlike grin. "Now's the time to be alive - to see it all happen, to be a part of it. That makes the blood race, and each breath is an adventure.”
78 likes
“Could you penetrate this palace, Prince Kheldar?" King Anheg challenged.
"I already have, your Majesty," Silk said modestly, "a dozen times or more."
Anheg looked at Rhodar with one raised eyebrow.
Rhodar coughed slightly. "It was some time ago, Anheg. Nothing serious. I was just curious about something, that's all."
"All you had to do was ask," Anheg said in a slightly injured tone.
"I didn't want to bother you," Rhodar said with a shrug. "Besides, it's more fun to do it the other way.”
47 likes