Start by marking “Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)

Fablehaven (Fablehaven #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  74,957 ratings  ·  6,770 reviews
For centuries, mystical creatures of all description were gathered to a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic in a cynical world. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite ... Kendra and her brother Seth have no idea their grandfather i...more
Published June 14th 2006 by Shadow Mountain (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fablehaven, please sign up.

Joel Andrada Jr. u should ASAP, this is really a very good book,
spiderwick meeets narnia meets harry potter
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
43rd out of 18,149 books — 48,944 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Giver by Lois Lowry
Best Young Adult Books
86th out of 9,048 books — 57,589 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

It's very rare, in this day and age of Harry Potter mania (and yes, I admit I'm a very devoted victim!) to find a fantasy story that can actually hold your attention. With FABLEHAVEN, though, new author Brandon Mull manages to do just that from the very first page to the last. Not to mention, thank the fairies, that there's already another book planned in the series.

The premise is simple enough: two siblings, thirteen-year-old Kendra and her eleven-year-old br...more
The Holy Terror
This book was mediocre. The author has some good ideas but the execution is terrible. His writing is amateurish and frustrating to read. None of the main characters are likable. Still though, I find myself wanting to know what will happen next, strange as that seems. I didn't hate this book but I'm glad I didn't spend money on it.

Seth and Kendra's parents are going on a cruise and they need to dump their kids off at their grandparents' house. Of course, Seth and Kendra are grumpy for being left...more
Kathryn
May 26, 2008 Kathryn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: lots of people on GoodReads posts
It was hard to determine what rating to give this book--I think 2.5 is my verdict. For "interesting concept" I'd give it four stars--but for execution/delivery only two stars. On "fulfilling expectations" I'd give it one star. This is one of the most disappointing reads I've come across. Thankfully the final few chapters were decent, so that saved the book from being a dismal failure in my mind.

Without giving away too much of the plot, I must say that this book is NOT really about caring for ma...more
Eric
At first I was thinking, "Oh great, not another story about fairies." But after a while I realized that Mull puts some very interesting twists in his version of fantastical creatures. His adds some great morals and gives the reader a chance to see how great kids can be, as if we somehow lose sight of their potential when we become adults. A great read!
Angela
.I adored this book! Absolutely gripping and wonderful. Wonderful fantasy and strong characters without being too goody goody.
Recommended to everyone!
Lanette
Jan 25, 2008 Lanette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes Fantasy
Recommended to Lanette by: Kellie
Shelves: children, fantasy
I really enjoyed this book. It's different from many other popular fantasy books, because there is a complete family structure included. No orphan, no "who could the mother / father be?", no "who's going to be the 'father/mentor' figure that gets killed?" Not here -- there's a mother, a father, and two sets of grandparents, one set of whom die before the first book in an ordinary gas leak. Due to their maternal grandparents death, they are introduced to Fablehaven and its mythical creatures. I'v...more
Jolie
My daughter, Sarah, (8 years old, but a great reader) and I have loved this book, as well as its sequel, Rise of the Evening Star. She is currently reading the third, Grip of the Shadow Plague because she snatched it up before I could! Brandon Mull (another LDS author...they seems to be everywhere...) has created a vibrant fantasy series with great characters and snappy dialogue. Because there are both a brother and sister at the center of the intrigue, this will appeal to both boys and girls (t...more
Ann
May 26, 2008 Ann rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Multple people!
I find it very difficult to write a review for this book. I suppose I'll start with the fact that I'd expected the book to focus more on the actual "Fantastical Preserve" - ie, what a caretaker actually does day-in and day-out to care for magical creatures. However, there really wasn't any of that. Or very little at least. It was more like a giant patch of land where the magical beings could exist. Which, is fine, just not what I'd expected.
So, now for the unfortunate things - at least, in my op...more
Rollie
As Kendra and Seth’s parents off to a cruise, they visit their Grandfather Sorenson’s house for one summer vacation. But as they lived in their grandpa’s house, not just the rules are seem to be odd but also the place their grandpa claimed to be his own.

Kendra being the rule bearer and Seth as the rule breaker, one will try to break his grandfather’s rule while one will try to obey the said rule. However, both ways will unveil the secrets behind Fablehaven. And as they venture Fablehaven, they d...more
Shauna

I have no idea this book could be so awesome! I have to admit.... the cover scared me away (not a huge "fantasy" fan, generally....) but this was honestly one of the best books I've ever read. Fantastic writing for older elementary - but held me glued to it as an adult. Off to the library to get the rest in the series....
Cara Marie
The rep who brought in the reader for Fablehaven was really excited about it. And, you know, I'm up for reading about sanctuaries for magical animals. Pity then, I started reading and thought - I'm supposed to care why? I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting old. Which is silly because I read plenty of kids' fantasy. Such a plentitude that I'm probably getting pickier.

The main character, Kendra, was very bland. Her characterisation was, basically, that she didn't like breaking rules (although she...more
Tara
While their parents are off on a 2 week cruise, Kendra and Seth are sent to stay with their grandparents, which they think will be boring beyond belief... but they couldn't be more wrong! Their grandparents live on the magical preserve, Fablehaven, a refuge for fairies, trolls, satyrs, and many of the things that go BUMP! in the night.

Overwhelmed and excited by all that the house and its vast yard have to offer, Kendra and Seth both exhibit very different approaches to interacting with Fablehave...more
Kami
This book was so frustrating. I wanted desperately to like it, but it was a struggle to keep reading past the first few chapters. I had major issues with Mull's writing style, and his characters were little better than basic stock characters. His mythology seemed a little bit contrived, and the history that was offered for it was sketchy, abrupt, and in all honesty kind of difficult to believe... It did show promise though, and I'm sure that the series gets better as Mull is bound to find his st...more
Jen
I picked up this book after attending a "Meet the Author" event at our local library. I had to fight my 9-year old daughter for it..."Mom, are you reading my book AGAIN?" We loved it. Fablehaven is a fascinating place, brought to life vividly by Brandon Mull. But it was more than just magic, it had a moral and some very good discussion points that my daughter and I talked about after we finished. This book and its sequel were ones that you WANT to read with your kids. And both of us are waiting...more
Jess
I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy books with mythological creatures, especially dark creatures. There was one scene that gave me goosebumps, and books don't scare me easily. I can't wait to read more!
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
2.5 Stars

Hugo slackened his pace, and they came to a stop in front of the shadowy doorway. The church was completely still. There was no sign anybody had been there in a hundred years.

"I'd rather have the sun, but at least we still have some light," Grandma said, using a tool to set the silver-headed arrow to the string of her undersized crossbow and pull it into position. "Let's get this over with as soon as we can. Evil likes darkness."

"Why is that?" Seth asked.

Grandma thought about the quest
Brenda
When my sister-in-law suggested this book, saying she loved it, I was a little hesitant to read it. I thought we really didn't have the same book tastes, but then I was browsing in the library the other day (one of my favorite things), and I decided to give it a try. I absolutely loved it! I guess that means I'll have to listen to her more.

I really love the cover of this book. I'm amazed at the artwork on most fantasy books' covers. It really draws me in, especially when they're something going...more
Angela Spencer
This book was incredibly interesting, well-paced, and had appropriate tension/conflict. I suppose I had high expectations for what is considered children's fiction. After Harry Potter and the Twilight series, I thought I'd give this a try.
I really did enjoy how dangerous magic and magical creatures are portrayed to be. The author introduced a perspective that was unexpected and fun to watch unfold. What I didn't like, though, was when the plot became intense, the author's weak writing was a real...more
Stephen
2.0 to 2.5 stars. This book was okay but I was expecting to like it a whole lot more based on the reviews I have read. I really never liked the main characters (Seth really annoyed me for much of the time) and the fantasy elements weren't as interesting as in previous YA books I have read recently (The Lightning Thief being the most notable). Overall, it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't great.
Taylor
Feb 01, 2009 Taylor added it
"just give me your hand Seth!" Muriel said. This quote is talking about the amazing fable haven! In this book there is many different mystical creatures, but can people see them? No, they see them as bugs unless they get the special treatment that changes EVERYTHING. Seth and Kendra have to stay at grandpa Sorenson's house while there parents go on a cruise. Will it be fun or the worst thing in there life? This book is the greatest book! Well that is only ifyou like a little scary books! :)
Margotmajewski
Jun 19, 2008 Margotmajewski rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young and old
Recommended to Margotmajewski by: Devin
This is a great story. Despite the choppy writing in some areas, the plot and character development is very enticing. I'll be honest: this book was very difficult to put down. Just the thought of a place like Fablehaven existing in our world, right under our noses, is very exciting to my imagination. I believe this is Brandon Mull's first novel so I'm excited to see him develop a little bit more as an author. All in all, i really enjoyed this book and just ordered the second and third in the ser...more
Grillables
I'd heard great things about this, but was a little disappointed. The writing was clearly geared towards a slightly younger crowd than I'm used to, though the adult characters occasionally use more complex vocabulary than I might expect for the writing style. Some unconvincing character actions and oversimplified character development hampered an otherwise interesting (if somewhat predictable) plot.
[Name Redacted]
The protagonists are horrible sociopaths. The writing is flat and lifeless. The descriptions are practically non-existent. The author manages to make even witches and fairies and ogres seem banal. It took me over a week to finish this children's book because I kept falling asleep while reading it. Such promise, none of it fulfilled, and I'm wishing I hadn't ordered all five books on eBay.
Truly
Bingung copas repiunya, maklum di FB dibikin rada nyeleneh ^_^

Berikut disampaikan telaah sebuah buku yang sangat layak untuk dibaca dan dikoleksi. Ceritanya sederhana , tentang petualangan sepasang kakak-adik. Namun jangan tertipu dengan kesan sederhana yang ditampilkan. Karena banyak kejutan-kejutan yang menawan.

Kisah yang disajikan sungguh luar biasa , penuh dengan hal fantasi yang mencengangkan! Sejak mulai membaca halaman pertama, segan rasanya meletakkan buku. Menyesal buku ini tamat dalam...more
Brandy
I have mixed feelings about this book. So many people I know highly recommended this book to me. I can see that kids would love it, in fact my 11 year old daughter absolutely did love it! For me though, some things I liked and some things really bugged me.

Things I liked:

The fairies! I think I still have a little bit of the little girl in me who would love to see a real fairy. I think Mull did a great job of incorporating them in the book and even describing them.

The short battle scene. One of...more
Robert
I met Brandon Mull on myspace just prior to his publication of this fantastic series. Brandon was looking for a little help spreading the word about his new books and after reading them I was more than happy to oblige.

The story is a wonderful tale about a brother and sister who go to visit their uncle who is the keeper of a magical creatures preserve. As they begin to unravel the mysteries of the preserve a magical adventure ensues.

Some of my favorite aspects of this story include a manipulativ...more
Marianne
This book was such an easy read that it was fun. I liked how real the characters are (especially the obnoxious teenage boy, annoyed and scardey-cat little sister). I would let my daughter read this one, it was exciting but not too scary. I'll have to read the others in the series to see if the author can continue the saga in an interesting way.
Teri
Cute little fantasy book. It was a little young for me to really enjoy it (as I do the YA genre) mostly because I read to escape arguing children. Also, the little boy is such a brat.
Caroline
This is one of the best books I have ever read. I don't think I have ever spent so much time reading a book. One part I loved was when Seth and Kendra drank the milk because it added a serious element of surprise to the story( if I went into any further detail it would be a spoiler). One of my favorite parts of the book was mid summer's eve it was intense and had me on the edge of my seat wondering what could possibly happen next. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this amazing piece of...more
Francis
Esta saga va a estar GENIAL.

Mucha gente, después de leer Harry Potter o Percy Jakson, preguntan si hay sagas que merezcan la pena. Sobre todo sagas mágicas de fantasía, que enganchen y te sumerjan en nuevos mundos e historias originales. Fablehaven es una de ellas.

Desde la primera página narra una historia diferente. Mundos mágicos donde se ocultan seres extraños que pueden provocar situaciones excepcionales e interesantísimas.

Kendra y Seth son dos hermanos que después de la muerte de un familia...more
  • Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra (Leven Thumps, #4)
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • Land Keep (Farworld, #2)
  • Feathered Serpent, Part 1 (Tennis Shoes, #3)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1)
  • The Hound of Rowan (The Tapestry, #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Erec Rex, #1)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
  • Diamondback Cave (Wesley Mackey, #3)
"Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy...more
More about Brandon Mull...
Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3) Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4) Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5) Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2) A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)

24 trivia questions
19 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others.” 895 likes
“Drink the milk.” 260 likes