Start by marking “Scattered, The inside story of ice in Australia” as Want to Read:
Scattered, The inside story of ice in Australia

Scattered, The inside story of ice in Australia

Going beyond the statistics and headlines, this book explores the human cost of crystal methamphetamine, 'Ice', and the escalating crisis in Australia.
290 pages
Published 2008 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Scattered, The inside story of ice in Australia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scattered, The inside story of ice in Australia

Bianca
First read this in 2009 and recently found it again hidden away in one of my boxes of books and thought I'd read it again. I have to be honest and say I skimmed through a lot of it this time around....as soon as I started reading it I remembered how depressing and shocking the stories are (well let's be honest, it is a book about ice so naturally there aren't any happy endings here). Don't let that put you off though, this is a well researched and interesting book and it covers a lot of people's ...more
Liz Barr
Dec 18, 2013 Liz Barr rated it liked it
Sometimes I have a hankering for true crime. It’s a bit shameful, yes. Anyway, this is a look at methamphetamine from a number of points of view — casual users, addicts, victims of ice-related crime, police, cooks. The only point of view not represented is that of the kingpins responsible for overseeing the manufacture and sale of large quantities, and I’m guessing they weren’t much for talking.

It’s an interesting book that argues that, while users of other drugs generally commit crimes only wh
♥ Marlene♥
Finished it this morning. I must say I read others books in between and I think I might have enjoyed it better if I would have read only this book cause now you had to get back into the drugs world every time.

Thought it was a very interesting read and written in a way it was interesting to read and not boring at all. I thought I knew a lot about drugs and maybe I did 20 years ago but not anymore. Glad though, all those new drugs, they are just killing people and if they are not they spoil there
Jacqueline Wales
Feb 23, 2011 Jacqueline Wales rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-reread-pile
This book is about meth addiction in Australia. I absolutely loved it, particularly the personal stories from people who had used meth. And Wollongong, my home town, gets a mention! It's written by Malcolm Knox, an Australian journalist who has worked for the Sydney Morning Herald and is the journalist who exposed the book Forbidden Lies (marketed as a memoir) and its author Norma Khouri as FAKE!
Liza
Jul 20, 2016 Liza rated it liked it
Very interesting but equally distressing, especially now that Perth is the Ice capital of the world. This book precedes this however.
Jo Case
Jo Case rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Sophie Benjamin
Sophie Benjamin rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Sarah Graham
Sarah Graham rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Joni
Joni rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2008
David
David rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2009
Boadi
Boadi rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Genna
Genna rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2013
Clare Trigwell
Clare Trigwell rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Cate
Cate rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Nikita Kashner
Nikita Kashner is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2009
tif flynn
tif flynn marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2012
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2012
Jolieske Loosjes
Jolieske Loosjes marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Kristy Lee
Kristy Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
Seven Black
Seven Black marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Al
Al marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
James
James added it
Mar 17, 2014
Natasha Luff
Natasha Luff marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Ardrearna
Ardrearna marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Yvanya Stekerhofs
Yvanya Stekerhofs marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Melissa Demaj
Melissa Demaj marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
MissInked84
MissInked84 marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Kenneth Johnson
Kenneth Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Craig Harrison
Craig Harrison marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Lukeethan Gracie
Lukeethan Gracie marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Sam N
Sam N added it
May 01, 2015
Daniel Taylor
Daniel Taylor marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Becka Burgess
Becka Burgess marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Benedict
Benedict marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Dominic Owen
Dominic Owen marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Malcolm Knox was born in 1966. He grew up in Sydney and studied in Sydney and Scotland, where his one-act play, POLEMARCHUS, was performed in St Andrews and Edinburgh. He has worked for the SYDNEY MORNING HERALD since 1994 and his journalism has been published in Australia, Britain, India and the West Indies.

His first novel Summerland was published to great acclaim in the UK, US, Australia and Eur
More about Malcolm Knox...