Start by marking “The Godly Man's Picture” as Want to Read:
The Godly Man's Picture

The Godly Man's Picture

Watson is always the essence of sanity and reliability. Christians of all stages will feel as if they have entered the gallery of a great portrait painter.
Published November 1st 1992 by Banner of Truth (first published June 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Godly Man's Picture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Godly Man's Picture

Linda
Jul 29, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
The Puritan preacher/writer Thomas Watson (1620-1686) is considered one of our church’s honorary elders (in absentia), since we enjoy reading and referencing his books and sermons so much. Although written some 350 years ago, the topic and illustrations of what it means to be a godly person are still quite valid and applicable to the Christian life today. Watson is a master illustrator, and as the title of the book states, he uses the Word of God to draw in some detail a portrait of what a godly ...more
Sheri Ingersoll
Apr 19, 2008 Sheri Ingersoll rated it it was amazing
I am in a puritan reading challenge for 2008 reading one prescribed puritan book per month. This has been my third book this year. I would have to say this is my favorite puritan book so far for two reasons. First, it is written in impeccable outline form (similar to AW Pink's writings) and second,its content characterizes the character of a believer in Christ. Modern preaching does not address what a true Christian is to look like. This book makes it clear. It was an easier read than other puri ...more
Secret Agent Gavin Ritsema
May 26, 2017 Secret Agent Gavin Ritsema rated it it was amazing
This book excellently shows the Biblical characteristics of a godly man. Watson constantly uses Bible verses (most often Psalms, or Song of Songs) to describe how the Holy Spirit works in someone to draw them deeper into their relationship with Christ. He provides practical uses, checks, and encouragements throughout. Watson also discusses Matthew 12:20: "A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not put out." And he pulls it all together by summarizing the relationship of ...more
Luke Burgess
Feb 16, 2017 Luke Burgess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reading
This book was a comb through my spiritual life. It caught on the snags and straightened the places that were crooked. It took me longer to read because it kept inflicting correction, and I needed time to recover before going back for more. There are few books that I would be willing to say that I intend to read annually, but this is one. While there are portions of the book that are better than others, I could give it no less than five-stars.
Pam
Aug 25, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing
I have a friend who gave me this book and said her husband reads it once a year. I can understand why. It is a wonderful reminder of what character makes up a Godly person. It is Puritan writing and somewhat difficult to work through, but a gold mine of insight.
Alan Alexandrino
Aug 06, 2015 Alan Alexandrino rated it it was amazing
O tipo de livro que te deixa constrangido por fazer você perceber que está muito aquém.
Natali
Oct 12, 2009 Natali rated it it was amazing
Great stuff--I love how clear, direct, convicting, and encouraging the Puritans can be. And they use such great metaphors!
John
Jan 30, 2017 John rated it really liked it
The fact that a book is still in print 350 years after its publication is all you need to know about the book's timelessness. Watson's work is well worth the time spent with it, although not as accessible as some of his fellow Puritan preachers.

Watson says that "Godliness consists in an exact harmony between holy principles and practices" (7). Christ's salvation doesn't merely pay a debt for us, it changes our legacy (9). We cry to him not just as our Savior, but also our Lord, "He will never b
Melinda
Aug 03, 2008 Melinda rated it liked it
Again a Puritan Challenge book, this one was harder for me to read. As the introduction says, the author works with a "Scripture pencil" to give you a sketch of the true believer.

The first section of the book literally is a list of characteristics from scripture that describe a godly Christian. A man of knowledge, a man moved by faith, a man fired by love, a man of humility, a man of prayer.... etc.

The latter sections speak about how to persevere in godliness.

I felt rushed to read this book, s
Mark A Powell
Oct 24, 2012 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it
A godly person is not merely one who professes God, but one who possess the same character traits and acts in a similar manner to God. In short, they display their godliness through their God-likeness of character. Although I was always intrigued by what Watson was saying, frequent heading and sub-heading breaks disrupted the natural flow of the book. In all, Watson paints a solid Picture that, while not his best, is certainly worth the read.
Jeremy Egerer
Sep 09, 2012 Jeremy Egerer rated it really liked it
Solid, Biblical teaching from a serious Puritan -- the kind of thing that doesn't make you feel fuzzy and philosophical, like Chesterton or Lewis, but something that really makes you be *stronger* in the faith.

A bit corny in some parts; extremely quotable; so-so writing for the most of it. Overall, I feel like this is something like a 3.5 star book... a solid presentation of Godliness, which will drive a man to prayer and confession; but presented in the most digestible manner possible.
James
Aug 19, 2011 James rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I've read this a number of times, and can't praise it enough. For anyone who is looking for practical Christian living, this is one of the finest works available.

It's language is more complex than most modern readers are accustomed to, so it is not only a work that challenges and, if practiced, improves your piety, but also your reading comprehension.
John
Jan 06, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
This is my second time reading it and found it both encouraging and convicting. The content is broad in that it covers a wide number of topics in regards the picture scripture gives us in both the Old and New Testament of what a godly man is to be. I can say this is a book that is beneficial for Christian males of all ages.
Alexis Neal
Aug 13, 2010 Alexis Neal rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-books, religion
Another excellent read from Watson. He does a great job of pointing out the characteristics of a godly man without falling into the trap of legalism or works-based salvation. The gospel is still front and center, and he offers encouragement for those of us who regrettably don't possess many of the markers of godliness.
Mulyoto
Apr 10, 2009 Mulyoto rated it it was amazing
One of the best companion book by Puritan Thomas Watson to examine yourself whether you are in the light by looking at characteristics of Godly man, exhortation to Godliness and exhortation to preserve in Godliness and to have the right motive towards Godliness. Simply a must book to read I reckon.
Alex
May 27, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing
Watson is a master at drawing illustrations and word pictures that cause his writings to come to life. In this book he touches on many characteristics of the godly man. What a timely book and one well worth reading.
Bob Ladwig
Dec 13, 2010 Bob Ladwig rated it it was amazing
This book is simply wonderful. It is an extremely brilliant description of the character of a Godly man. Watson lays out with beautiful imagery virtues to be treasured and sought after as well as vices and how to break their habits. I have read this twice and need to read it again.
Brian Collins
Sep 27, 2011 Brian Collins rated it it was amazing
Watson begins by challenging his readers to self-examination about their conversion, helpfully sketches out in concrete terms what a godly life is, and concludes with comfort for believers who recognize their failure to measure up. Excellent.
Lee Button
Jul 27, 2015 Lee Button rated it really liked it
Watson is not easy to read but the labor is worth the encouragement. He approaches godly attributes from a wide spectrum of angles and challenges us to meditate on and act out or lives as those who pursue godliness
Joshua Horn
Dec 02, 2012 Joshua Horn rated it really liked it
A very good book. It has a great message, covers a lot of ground in a simple and concise way. However A few of his examples are a bit outdated, like outlandish things written by the ancient historians.
Anthony Riccio
Jan 03, 2014 Anthony Riccio rated it it was amazing
Anyone who wants to take themselves seriously as a Christian should read this book! It redefines what it means to be a holy man, and it pushes you to the limits of what is humanly possible. Only by giving up the flesh do we put on the robe of godliness.
Jordan Rowland
Jan 01, 2016 Jordan Rowland rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, easier to read Puritan.
Paul Degraaf
Dec 27, 2015 Paul Degraaf rated it it was amazing
A clear picture of godliness.
Andrew
Apr 07, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-print, favorites
My all-time favorite book. Can't say enough about the rich and Christ-exalting words written in this book. Highly recommended to every believer, male and female.
Gregory Feguer
Oct 17, 2009 Gregory Feguer is currently reading it
Recommends it for: those who want to hear 16th Century writings
Josh Hair
May 07, 2012 Josh Hair rated it it was amazing
If you are a man, you must read as soon as possible!!!
Gabriel Barnes
Excellent little Puritan work on Godly Manhood! I heartily recommend this book!
Justin Andrusk
May 18, 2010 Justin Andrusk rated it liked it
So far this is an excellent and uplifting book.
Kathryn Judson
Jun 21, 2011 Kathryn Judson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a gem.
Vaughn
Dec 21, 2014 Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Excellent in every way. I learned, grew and was challenged by reading this book. This is one I'll read annually, as it is a clear and direct portrait of what a godly character is. Highly recommend.
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • Prayer
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • The Bruised Reed
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • A Lifting Up for the Downcast
  • The Glory of Christ
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • Charity & Its Fruits
  • Practical Religion
  • The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and a Rebuttal of Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • A Method for Prayer: Freedom in the face of God
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • A Quest for Godliness
  • The Freedom And Power Of Forgiveness
193655

Thomas Watson (c. 1620—1686) was an English, non-conformist, Puritan preacher and author. He was educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where he was noted for remarkably intense study. In 1646 he commenced a sixteen year pastorate at St. Stephen's, Walbrook. He showed strong Presbyterian views during the civi
More about Thomas Watson...

“To compare other things with God, is to debase Deity; as if you should compare the shining of a glow-worm with the sun. 3.” 0 likes
“The pardoned soul is out of the gunshot of hell (Rom. 8:33).” 0 likes