Start by marking “The Girl in the Golden Atom” as Want to Read:
The Girl in the Golden Atom
Open Preview read book

The Girl in the Golden Atom

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A classic work of science fiction, this novel was one of the first to explore the world of the atom. The Girl in the Golden Atom is the story of a young chemist who finds a hidden atomic world within his mother’s wedding ring. Under a microscope, he sees within the ring a beautiful young woman sitting before a cave. Enchanted by her, he shrinks himself so that he can join ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Bison Books (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in the Golden Atom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in the Golden Atom

April
Dec 11, 2009 April rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
One of my first thoughts, as I read, was about those old, old text based computer games where, if you wanted the program to repeat a full description every time you entered a room, you could type the command "maximum verbosity"... Someone typed that command with this book!

Keeping in mind this book was written in the wee small years of 1900 this book is a delightful glimpse into the beginnings of Science Fiction. I was tickled with the titles the five men were given as they sat around together in
Denis
An early, pre-Doc Smith and Burroughs old school sci-fi (written between 1919 and 1920). "The Chemist said... to the Doctor next to the Banker... who sat by the Big Business Man and the Very Young Man". In spite of the time it was written, is a decent story. The miniaturization theme has often been used since. "The Incredible Shrinking Man", "Fantastic Journey" right up to Michael Crichton's posthumous "Micro".

A little long for what it was (it is actually two novellas combined as one novel). I d
Dfordoom
This is one of the early classics of American science fiction. It was originally published in the pulp magazine All-Story Weekly in 1919. Book publication followed in 1922. It was an immediate success and the basic idea was one that the author retuned to rather obsessively in his subsequent incredibly prolific career.

It’s undeniably a clever idea. A scientist develops an ultra-high power microscope and makes a startling discovery. There really are worlds within worlds. Within the atoms he observ
Angus
This is a rather odd book, but not without charm. It is 1920s SF—but even by 1920s standards, the science is barking mad. The protagonist theorises that every atom contains a literal universe of its own, and naturally he turns out to be right. He invents a method of seeing inside atoms—apparently it just takes a fancy new lens on your microscope—and inside one of the atoms of his gold ring, he is startled to see a human-like girl.

Naturally, he falls in love, and just as naturally he invents a me
Kimbolimbo
This book was a BIG waste of time. But it was what I chose to listen to when I was stuck at work without having planned in advance to have another book available. I don't even want to discuss this book because my brain is SO bored. Basically I think you could write a paper on what the author thinks is the ideal woman based on his descriptions of the girls found in the interior of a ring. Maybe the reader caused the book to be more undesirable because he sounded so pompous and bored so that means ...more
David Cain
Mediocre science fiction from the very early twentieth century. This is basically a pulpy combination of Gulliver's Travels and Journey to the Center of the Earth. The author seems to have a callous disregard for human life, as he has most of the main characters kill thousands of people without a second thought or any sort of moral qualms. His treatment of the female characters is quaint at best, and fairly sexist at times. One of the themes is socialism (good) versus a poorly-defined non-social ...more
Victor Mabuse
If you are a fan of vintage science fiction, this is an acceptable book. It does tend to drag in places particularly where politics and government is discussed. The concept of a world, contained on an atom of a gold wedding band is rather intriguing to me. As a Green Lantern fan, fantasy ring stories appeal to me. As one who also wears a gold wedding ring, it just feeds the science fantasy side of my brain.
Not a great read, but it does have some good moments. Be mindful, it is a product of its t
Les
The story was good. And the "science" was pretty much what you would expect from the era.

What really stood out for me was the not so subtle struggle between socialism and fascism (or capitalism, depending on your political viewpoint). A lot of these issues can easily apply to our society.

Rebecca
I probably wouldn't recommend this book to most people unless you like early sci fi. As with most books from the early 1900's the book drags on at points and had some questionable race/female comments but I still finished it and thought it was an ok read.
Tom Van Boening
This gem of a book is something I am glad to have discovered. I will certainly read a lot more from Ray Cummings in the near future.

If you are a fan of science fiction, you will very likely enjoy this novel.
CJ
I'm really slogging through this book. I'm most of the way through and it's only starting to get interesting. Truthfully, I'm only reading it in order to delete it for room for something better on my PDA.
Tasha
I really don't think these kinds of books work for me.
Khadiga Adel
Khadiga Adel marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Narendra Khokhar
Narendra Khokhar marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Zaniar
Zaniar added it
Dec 19, 2014
biafra
biafra marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Burcu
Burcu marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Kat Dornian
Kat Dornian marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Frank Boase
Frank Boase marked it as to-read
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Raakhee Nagaonkar
Raakhee Nagaonkar marked it as to-read
Albara Qaid
Albara Qaid marked it as to-read
Zachery Chapin
Zachery Chapin marked it as to-read
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Antonius Hammerlock
Antonius Hammerlock marked it as to-read
Syed Mustafa
Syed Mustafa marked it as to-read
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Raymond King Cummings. His career resulted in some 750 novels and short stories, using also the pen names Ray King, Gabrielle Cummings, and Gabriel Wilson.
More about Ray Cummings...
A Brand New World Brigands of the Moon Beyond the Stars The Exile of Time Beyond the Vanishing Point

“Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.” 786 likes