Start by marking “The Girl in the Golden Atom” as Want to Read:
The Girl in the Golden Atom

Read Book

The Girl in the Golden Atom

3.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A classic work of science fiction, this novel was one of the first to explore the world of the atom. The Girl in the Golden Atom is the story of a young chemist who finds a hidden atomic world within his mother’s wedding ring. Under a microscope, he sees within the ring a beautiful young woman sitting before a cave. Enchanted by her, he shrinks himself so that he can join ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Bison Books (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl in the Golden Atom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl in the Golden Atom

Angus
May 30, 2016 Angus rated it liked it
This is a rather odd book, but not without charm. It is 1920s SF—but even by 1920s standards, the science is barking mad. The protagonist theorises that every atom contains a literal universe of its own, and naturally he turns out to be right. He invents a method of seeing inside atoms—apparently it just takes a fancy new lens on your microscope—and inside one of the atoms of his gold ring, he is startled to see a human-like girl.

Naturally, he falls in love, and just as naturally he invents a me
Emily
Mar 02, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
April
Dec 11, 2009 April rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
One of my first thoughts, as I read, was about those old, old text based computer games where, if you wanted the program to repeat a full description every time you entered a room, you could type the command "maximum verbosity"... Someone typed that command with this book!

Keeping in mind this book was written in the wee small years of 1900 this book is a delightful glimpse into the beginnings of Science Fiction. I was tickled with the titles the five men were given as they sat around together in
Denis
Feb 17, 2013 Denis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own
An early, pre-Doc Smith and Burroughs old school sci-fi (written between 1919 and 1920). "The Chemist said... to the Doctor next to the Banker... who sat by the Big Business Man and the Very Young Man". In spite of the time it was written, is a decent story. The miniaturization theme has often been used since. "The Incredible Shrinking Man", "Fantastic Journey" right up to Michael Crichton's posthumous "Micro".

A little long for what it was (it is actually two novellas combined as one novel). I d
Estott
Jun 09, 2015 Estott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Les
Aug 07, 2012 Les rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
The story was good. And the "science" was pretty much what you would expect from the era.

What really stood out for me was the not so subtle struggle between socialism and fascism (or capitalism, depending on your political viewpoint). A lot of these issues can easily apply to our society.

Rebecca
May 27, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
I probably wouldn't recommend this book to most people unless you like early sci fi. As with most books from the early 1900's the book drags on at points and had some questionable race/female comments but I still finished it and thought it was an ok read.
Tom Van Boening
May 04, 2013 Tom Van Boening rated it really liked it
This gem of a book is something I am glad to have discovered. I will certainly read a lot more from Ray Cummings in the near future.

If you are a fan of science fiction, you will very likely enjoy this novel.
Kenneth
They don't write adventure stories like this, any more! The characters have names like "the Chemist" and "the Very Young Man," the prose style seems torn from the pages of a Victorian-era National Geographic, and the natives of the tiny world inside the atom - the "Oroids" - are described with the sort of gravely stated praise that can never seem to emphasize enough how virtuous, comely, and noble they are. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's a remarkable, if scientifically ludicrous ...more
Dfordoom
Apr 04, 2012 Dfordoom rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
This is one of the early classics of American science fiction. It was originally published in the pulp magazine All-Story Weekly in 1919. Book publication followed in 1922. It was an immediate success and the basic idea was one that the author retuned to rather obsessively in his subsequent incredibly prolific career.

It’s undeniably a clever idea. A scientist develops an ultra-high power microscope and makes a startling discovery. There really are worlds within worlds. Within the atoms he observ
Kimbolimbo
Mar 30, 2012 Kimbolimbo rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book was a BIG waste of time. But it was what I chose to listen to when I was stuck at work without having planned in advance to have another book available. I don't even want to discuss this book because my brain is SO bored. Basically I think you could write a paper on what the author thinks is the ideal woman based on his descriptions of the girls found in the interior of a ring. Maybe the reader caused the book to be more undesirable because he sounded so pompous and bored so that means ...more
Daniel Garrison
May 06, 2016 Daniel Garrison rated it liked it
It's certainly a unique, vintage science fiction book and I don't think that a unique, vintage science fiction book is everybody's cup of tea. But if it is, I would recommend giving it the once over. It's an easy read and a cool story. I doubt you'll be mulling it over for days afterwards, but it will pleasantly fill in a few hours.

Robert
Jun 20, 2016 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original short story, which here is Chapters 1-8, is a great piece with a strong narrative and mode of narration. The rest gets lost in action, and loses the tightness of the narration so it's all a bit wishy-washy.
David Cain
Aug 22, 2012 David Cain rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Mediocre science fiction from the very early twentieth century. This is basically a pulpy combination of Gulliver's Travels and Journey to the Center of the Earth. The author seems to have a callous disregard for human life, as he has most of the main characters kill thousands of people without a second thought or any sort of moral qualms. His treatment of the female characters is quaint at best, and fairly sexist at times. One of the themes is socialism (good) versus a poorly-defined non-social ...more
Victor Mabuse
Jun 30, 2013 Victor Mabuse rated it liked it
If you are a fan of vintage science fiction, this is an acceptable book. It does tend to drag in places particularly where politics and government is discussed. The concept of a world, contained on an atom of a gold wedding band is rather intriguing to me. As a Green Lantern fan, fantasy ring stories appeal to me. As one who also wears a gold wedding ring, it just feeds the science fantasy side of my brain.
Not a great read, but it does have some good moments. Be mindful, it is a product of its t
CJ
Sep 19, 2008 CJ rated it did not like it
I'm really slogging through this book. I'm most of the way through and it's only starting to get interesting. Truthfully, I'm only reading it in order to delete it for room for something better on my PDA.
Tasha
I really don't think these kinds of books work for me.
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Carlos G.
Carlos G. marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
LitaVore
LitaVore marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Thomas Rowe
Thomas Rowe rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Chandra  Fry
Chandra Fry marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Mr. Peter J. Finn, Jr.
Mr. Peter J. Finn, Jr. marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Curtis Robison
Curtis Robison marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Kirk
Kirk marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Sierra Slaughter
Sierra Slaughter marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
David Forero
David Forero marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Claude
Claude marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Kathelijne
Kathelijne marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Invaders from the Infinite
  • The People Of The Black Circle (Dodo Press)
  • The Door Through Space
  • People Of The Ark (Ark Chronicles, #1)
  • Gulliver of Mars
  • Sinister Barrier
  • The Pirates of Ersatz
  • Run
  • Heretic Queen: Queen Elizabeth I and the Wars of Religion
  • The Legion of Space
  • The Well At The World's End: Volume I
  • The Works of Jules Verne
  • Mech 2: The Savant (Imperium Series, #2)
  • Spacehounds of IPC
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Badge of Infamy
  • Harvest of Stars (Harvest of Stars, #1)
Raymond King Cummings. His career resulted in some 750 novels and short stories, using also the pen names Ray King, Gabrielle Cummings, and Gabriel Wilson.

See Wikipedia
More about Ray Cummings...

“Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.” 804 likes