Start by marking “Warren Buffett Speaks: Wit and Wisdom from the World's Greatest Investor” as Want to Read:
Warren Buffett Speaks: Wit and Wisdom from the World's Greatest Investor

Warren Buffett Speaks: Wit and Wisdom from the World's Greatest Investor

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  449 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
When Warren Buffett Speaks. . . people listen."If people want to improve their investing skills, it has to help to study how the Master does it. This short book outlines Buffett's philosophy and techniques."
--Peter S. Lynch, Fidelity Investments

"Common sense with a deft irony . . ."
--John C. Bogle, founder of The Vanguard Group and author, "The Little Book of Common Sense
Published August 1st 2007 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Warren Buffett Speaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warren Buffett Speaks

Chip
Oct 19, 2012 Chip rated it liked it
I thought this book was worth the read and had some good insights. While I don't believe in the entitlement mentality, Buffett made one of the best arguments I've heard for the redistribution of wealth. He believes that society creates the environment where certain talents have more value. Those same talents in a different society could be worthless (i.e. being good at basketball can make you lots of money, but being a good teacher or nurse doesn't give you that same money potential in our curre ...more
Garrett Haynes
Sep 05, 2014 Garrett Haynes rated it it was amazing
Some tremendous nuggets of wisdom from the worlds greatest investor. I stopped many times throughout this book to ponder a witty comment and found many times something deeper than what appeared at the surface. Many of us would do ourselves good if we simplified our way of thinking. The world often tells us we need more sophistication, a special genius or knowledge in order to become successful. Rather Warren Buffett has found and proved that common sense and sound principles make us more the gen ...more
JR
Sep 03, 2014 JR rated it really liked it
A great compilation of Warren-isms, presented clearly for all to understand. Like Warren himself, the book is plain spoken and covers a myriad of topics. This book is easy to pick up at almost any point. I feel like I learned some very helpful investing, as well as, life lessons.
Abhishek
Dec 06, 2015 Abhishek rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A great collection of experience tested wit and wisdom on all walks of life. More than anything, the book manages to distill instructions on sane investing and couple them with a philosophy of life - the most meaningful proceeds result from a process that one is passionate about. The book is full of other great pieces of wisdom such as really valuing one's time, need to focus on few things, maintaining an undiminished curiosity, the often overlooked but incredibly important art of thinking for o ...more
Juli
Apr 06, 2015 Juli rated it really liked it
"Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."

This is an excellent little book for gaining insight into the philosophy, thought processes, and methods of Warren Buffet.

While I was expecting a somewhat more serious, textbook-like approach to Buffet, this light-hearted overview of his personality and wisdom was a pleasant surprise! Easy to read, but still insightful.

The balance of direct quotes from Buffet, complemented by the personal experience of the author,
Viraj
Dec 29, 2008 Viraj rated it it was ok
Shelves: finance-etc
Overall: The Table of Content is overall the summary of the ideas listed in the book.

Directly from the book (my comments in brackets):

Pg. Quoted
22 Like Wayne Gretzky says, “go where the puck is going, not where it is”. (Invest the same way an expert plays hockey).
28 Cultivate good character: “Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken”.
33 Choose your heroes well: “You are lucky in life if you have the right heroes. I advise all of you, to the extent that yo
Jonathan Perez
Oct 16, 2015 Jonathan Perez rated it really liked it
After having read all the details about WB's personal life in the Snowball by A. Schroeder I have been looking for a book that would look meticulously at each of his biggest past investment decisions and their rationals. This is not it yet. Nevertheless it is a fun quick reminder of all the famous quotes that anyone caught by the value investing bug would already know. My main takeaways: i) aim high ii) focus iii) study failures not successes iv) reputation takes 20 year to build and 1 minute to ...more
Ross
Sep 25, 2013 Ross rated it liked it
Interesting and also amusing remarks and wisdom from the investing and business man genius.
One very puzzling item is Buffet's net worth stated to be $10,000 in 1950 when he was 20, equal to roughly $100,000 in 2013 dollars. Then just 2 years later it says he has $100,000, or roughly $1 million in today's dollars. There is no explanation of where this money came from. Buffet could certainly not have made this money in 2 years. In fact, where did the first $10,000 come from? This is hardly the se
Jessica Tornado
This book has been on my list, primarily because I am interested in WB's success. I found it interesting and I found sound advice that is relevant to my current goals.
Anuj Mag
Jan 23, 2016 Anuj Mag rated it liked it
"read" it via audio book version. Liked the book in parts but loved the man Warren Buffet is by the end of this book.
Charity Pandita
Jan 30, 2016 Charity Pandita rated it really liked it
Theres another wb book which is way better than this. Def worth the time. ...more
Yves
A fascinating collection of what makes Warren Buffet tick. Entertaining but light.
Karen
Sep 01, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
I have to admit that
1-I have heard the name Warren Buffett but didn't know who he was.
2-Didn't have a clue what he did.
3-Decided to listen to the book because it was available when I needed a book.

Having said all that, this book full of wit and wisdom should be a must read for every business minded student in America and anyone else that wants to understand how money works. Not only for the big corporations but the little people (like me).

It's a relatively short book, pick it up and give it a
Shannon
Dec 09, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I will be buying this book and using all of his tips.
Abdul Wahid Khan
Apr 21, 2013 Abdul Wahid Khan rated it really liked it
The book gives a good Amount of information on investing style of Buffet. All people around life of Buffet are introduced and roles explained well.
Language of book seems like a continuous interview with Buffet.
Not in much detail and not a biography but a good overview for those who have heard about Buffet.
Kate
Nov 12, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
At times amusing ... at times simply impressive. And I suppose at times he sounds like an ass... but the topics are interesting - a fair amount about investing toward the end, but also there is wisdom about life. "Working at a job you don't like is like marrying for money." :)
Lucas Remmerswaal
Sep 06, 2011 Lucas Remmerswaal rated it it was amazing
I love Janet Lowe, and this is an inspirational book of quotations, they are the basis of my research that I did for "13 Habits that made me Billions" series of books to help empower kids to make the world a better place.
Catherine
Sep 14, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it
I'd always wanted to know more about this man and now I do. The man is amazing. I listened to this on audio, and I think I would have enjoyed reading the actual book instead so that I could truly digest his truisms.
Robert
Nov 29, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it
This was a quick read and most of the quotes and stories I had already read in other places. However it never ceases to amaze me how rational he is and how he sticks to what he knows.
Michael
Sep 11, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money-business
Might be the easiest way to get acquainted with Buffett's investing wisdom. I read the first edition (from 1997), and will be ordering the second one for my library.
Sara
Mar 23, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
Not the best choice if you are interested in learning about Buffet's investment philosophy.....more of a light read with lots of quote's...
Katie
Oct 26, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-09
This was a great overview of Buffett's life and has a lot of examples of his outlook on life. I think he is pragmatic and a great person.
Noya
Apr 21, 2010 Noya rated it it was amazing
entertaining!!! indeed full of anecdotes on life, work & how to get rich! from the world's greatest investor ;-)
Kuku
Oct 23, 2009 Kuku rated it really liked it
Learned about his investment philosophy although I may not agree/subscribe to some of his personal practices
Phillip
Feb 20, 2013 Phillip rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Warren Buffett made billions by investing money in a rational way.
Ms.
Nov 17, 2007 Ms. rated it liked it
"I'd be a bum on the street with a tin cup if the markets were always efficient."
Rashid
Aug 18, 2009 Rashid rated it really liked it
how to be rich and live normal life with your kids
Dino Dinarga
Feb 09, 2008 Dino Dinarga rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance
A must read for Warren Buffett fan
Kimberly
Dec 18, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Mr Buffett is charming and amazing.
Kirk
Kirk marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
  • The Little Book of Value Investing
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • Theory of Investment Value
  • The Warren Buffett Portfolio: Mastering the Power of the Focus Investment Strategy
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • The Millionaire Maker: ACT, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers : The Guide for Achieving Success and Satisfaction (Crown Business Briefings)
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • Co-Opetition
  • Mark Twain
  • Money Masters of Our Time
  • Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing and Business
  • The Aggressive Conservative Investor
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • The Little Book That Beats the Market
  • Flip: How to Find, Fix, and Sell Houses for Profit
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
Janet Celesta Lowe is an American author, university lecturer and business writer.

Janet Lowe's career as a writer has included everything from freelance feature writer to technical writer, poet, reporter, editor, media spokesperson and author of many books.
More about Janet Lowe...

“The arithmetic makes it plain that inflation is afar more devastating tax than anything that has been enacted by our legislature. The inflation tax has a fantastic ability to simply consume capital.” 0 likes