Start by marking “O Ye Jigs and Juleps!” as Want to Read:
O Ye Jigs and Juleps!

O Ye Jigs and Juleps!

With the pixiness of Eloise and the innocence of Dennis the Menace, Virginia Cary Hudson was a sprite of ten when she wrote these essays for a very understanding teacher at the Episcopal boarding school she was attending in 1904. With over 1 million copies sold, this humorous collection of small-town Americana has become a modern-day classic, celebrating the honesty and ch ...more
Published May 10th 2006 by Inspirational Press (NY) (first published April 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about O Ye Jigs and Juleps!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Ye Jigs and Juleps!

Jul 13, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To this day, I have absolutely no clue whether or not Virginia Cary Hudson really wrote this book. I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that she was the figment of a very clever marketer, but I prefer to believe that she really traipsed around Louisville, Kentucky, getting the bishop to drink mint juleps and baptising babies in the rainwater barrels. This book is probably one of my favorite childhood memories, and while some might snipe and say there's no way a child could be this unintent ...more
Jigs & Juleps! The title of this book is so much fun to say. I had no idea what jigs or juleps were when I was a kid but I did like to read this book. I was so impressed the author was my age and she could write such a funny book. At least, I could tell it was supposed to be funny, though it was from another era and I didn't really understand a lot of it. I felt inspired that I, too, could write a book at such a young age and get it published. Didn't happen, but it did make me do some writin ...more
Jul 08, 2014 Kaethe rated it liked it
It's old timey! It's folksy! It must have been on sale for pennies at Cracker Barrel 'cause it's considerably more ubiquitous than grits in the homes of older white southern folks.

Some phenomena cannot be explained by Science.
Mar 26, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
An extremely short, lighthearted book written [ostensibly:] by a girl of around 12 years of age in the early 1900's. Each chapter is her interpretation of her world as she sees it. Her views on everything from religion to fashion is quite hilarious. Definitely worth digging on Amazon for a used copy.
DeAnn Tollefsrud
Oct 21, 2011 DeAnn Tollefsrud rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This was not written by a 10 yr old. It was very clearly written by an adult that thinks they can write and think like a ten year old. They clearly fail at it.
Laura Verret
Jun 28, 2014 Laura Verret rated it liked it
Shelves: goodwill-finds
O Ye Jigs & Juleps! is a collection of essays on different local and religious topics purportedly written by a ten year old girl named Virginia. I say ‘purportedly’ because, although the dust jacket assures me this was her age, I nevertheless find it hard to believe.

The style of writing is, indeed, juvenile and artless. But both the juvenility and artlessness are cleverly executed and highly styled. The disaffected jumble of words is, indeed, how a child might think, but it is almost never h
Aug 31, 2008 Schmacko rated it it was amazing
The mythology about this popular little book is that it was written in 1904 by Virginia Cary Hudson, a 10-year-old student at a Louisville Episcopal boarding school. These essays on small town Americana and turn-of-the-century childhood were supposedly discovered in an attic trunk in 1960 by Hudson’s daughter.

I don’t care if the story of their provenance is true or false, the essays are funny. Here’s the beginning of her take on church Sacraments:

Sacraments are what you do in Church. What you do
Jun 27, 2016 Michigosling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Until today, when I saw what GR people had to say about this book, I thought I was the only one in the world who knew and loved it. Ever since the first time I read it as a child, I have wanted to write a book set in 1904. Now I believe it might simply have been Karla Kuskin's adorable illustrations that hooked me at least as much as Virginia's cheeky essays. I can probably also credit it with my lifelong interest in comparative religions (and not just those stated by Mr. Confuscius, Mr. Tao, an ...more
Aug 16, 2016 David rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this very short book. full of innocent humor and miss-thinking. Essays written by a 10 year old miss while at boarding school and then lost for a long time l long
Pam Kellim
Feb 02, 2016 Pam Kellim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cutest little book I've ever read. The writings of a little girl on the subjects of religion and adult behavior.
Daphne Kekis
Aug 02, 2016 Daphne Kekis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Charming! Kienzle does a great job capturing the humor of her grandmother in this lovely book”
Jane Fournier
Apr 06, 2016 Jane Fournier rated it it was amazing
This book is in my favorite book collection. Timeless. Have shared it with many, many friends.
Nov 23, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
A very witty collection of short bits of life through a childs eyes. Enjoyable and entertaining.
Oct 28, 2012 MisterFweem rated it really liked it
I teach composition to university freshmen and sophomore, and occasionally find a few students whoa re as lucid at writing as this little ten=year-old girl. They're fun to read, because they're past the point where they're worried about grammar and spelling -- though they both quite well, thank you very much -- and just have fun with the language. It's hooptedoodle at its finest.
Mar 07, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-unsorted
Did a ten-year-old really write these snapshots of her thoughts? If so, she was marvelously creative and a strong young writer. The first time I read this book, I kept insisting that my parents listen while I read them passages that I found particularly entertaining. I wonder how these vignettes have stood the test of time.
May 17, 2008 Bill rated it it was amazing
Woot! I love Virginia Hudson! She covers the Church that I remember as a child with reverence and yet also with tongue in cheek... a very human look at religion. I have read and reread her short books on the Episcopal Church. She also wrote "Credos and Quips" but I don't see it listed in goodreads.
Mar 14, 2011 Trish rated it it was amazing
I believe Ben Merkle read parts of this book at a church dinner long ago - it is especially fun to read out loud. If you need a good belly laugh, this book will do it! I love Mrs. Harris and the Corinthian Julip! Written by a ten year old girl back in 1904, this is a must read.
Oct 04, 2010 Brooke rated it really liked it
Super fun read. Whether or not this little book actually is a collection of essays by a ten-year-old girl from Virginia in 1904, it has a distinct, entertaining voice. I loved reading it.

Teri Beckelheimer
May 09, 2013 Teri Beckelheimer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
O Ye Jigs and Juleps by Virginia Cary Hudson is a quick fun read. It was a favorite of my mom's. This book is a collection of essays by the author in 1904 when she was just 10 years old. Oh the mind of a youngster. They'll say anything.
Oct 07, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funnies
wicked and adorable.

also depressing, in its flagrant display of what a 10-year-old's vocabulary was like more than a century ago. i'm so rarely convinced that smartphones equal progress ...
Lou Alice
Dec 05, 2012 Lou Alice rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lou Alice by: my mother-in-law
Shelves: humor, owned
This book was highly rated by my mother-in-law, and I have enjoyed it also. The type of wit would perhaps be better appreciated by someone my age or older than the current generation.
Aevalle Galicia
Apr 09, 2013 Aevalle Galicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, cute and light read that is good for a lazy afternoon. I wasn't crazy about the drowned cat scene--made me want to slap the narrator--but the rest of it was good.
Aug 21, 2009 Mollie rated it it was amazing
A short delightful read written by a 10 year old Virginia Cary Hudson in about 1904. It gave me insights to what life might of been like for my grandmother's generation.
Dec 19, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it
I have the 1964 edition which cost 60 cents! I got it from my mother. It has funny little essays written by a 10 year girl. The illustrations are charming.
Sep 19, 2011 Oreta rated it it was amazing
I re-read this book that I bought in the 1970's. Entertaining book of essays written by a 10 year old girl, Virginia Cary Hudson, in 1904.
Aug 20, 2012 Rebe rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed and laughed at everything in this book except the incident of unspeakable cruelty to the neighbor's cat.
Dec 20, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Adorable and slightly disturbing. Views and opinions are very much "of the time".
Jan 09, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing
Hilarious essays on life by a ten year old girl at the turn of the century. Very, very, very funny.
Nov 14, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
An interesting glimpse at early 20th century life through the eyes of a very precocious child.
History of author 1 4 Apr 04, 2016 12:35PM
  • Tom Sawyer Abroad/Tom Sawyer, Detective (Mark Twain Library)
  • The Trouble with Angels