Start by marking “O Ye Jigs and Juleps!” as Want to Read:
O Ye Jigs and Juleps!

O Ye Jigs and Juleps!

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  35 reviews
With the pixiness of Eloise and the innocence of Dennis the Menace, Virginia Cary Hudson was a sprite of ten when she wrote these essays for a very understanding teacher at the Episcopal boarding school she was attending in 1904. With over 1 million copies sold, this humorous collection of small-town Americana has become a modern-day classic, celebrating the honesty and ch ...more
Published May 10th 2006 by Inspirational Press (NY) (first published April 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about O Ye Jigs and Juleps!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Ye Jigs and Juleps!

Ann
To this day, I have absolutely no clue whether or not Virginia Cary Hudson really wrote this book. I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that she was the figment of a very clever marketer, but I prefer to believe that she really traipsed around Louisville, Kentucky, getting the bishop to drink mint juleps and baptising babies in the rainwater barrels. This book is probably one of my favorite childhood memories, and while some might snipe and say there's no way a child could be this unintent ...more
Sara
Jigs & Juleps! The title of this book is so much fun to say. I had no idea what jigs or juleps were when I was a kid but I did like to read this book. I was so impressed the author was my age and she could write such a funny book. At least, I could tell it was supposed to be funny, though it was from another era and I didn't really understand a lot of it. I felt inspired that I, too, could write a book at such a young age and get it published. Didn't happen, but it did make me do some writin ...more
Cheryl
I don't see how it could've been written by a child, as is claimed. I don't even know how we could be expected to believe that. Perhaps she wrote it as adult, remembering her childhood as best she could. Be that as it may, it's darling. Laugh-out-loud funny, even if nostalgic. That is, the spin is 'nostalgic' - though some might say 'old' I won't.
Leah
An extremely short, lighthearted book written [ostensibly:] by a girl of around 12 years of age in the early 1900's. Each chapter is her interpretation of her world as she sees it. Her views on everything from religion to fashion is quite hilarious. Definitely worth digging on Amazon for a used copy.
Kaethe
It's old timey! It's folksy! It must have been on sale for pennies at Cracker Barrel 'cause it's considerably more ubiquitous than grits in the homes of older white southern folks.

Some phenomena cannot be explained by Science.
DeAnn Tollefsrud
This was not written by a 10 yr old. It was very clearly written by an adult that thinks they can write and think like a ten year old. They clearly fail at it.
O Ye Jigs & Juleps! is a collection of essays on different local and religious topics purportedly written by a ten year old girl named Virginia. I say ‘purportedly’ because, although the dust jacket assures me this was her age, I nevertheless find it hard to believe.

The style of writing is, indeed, juvenile and artless. But both the juvenility and artlessness are cleverly executed and highly styled. The disaffected jumble of words is, indeed, how a child might think, but it is almost never h
Schmacko
The mythology about this popular little book is that it was written in 1904 by Virginia Cary Hudson, a 10-year-old student at a Louisville Episcopal boarding school. These essays on small town Americana and turn-of-the-century childhood were supposedly discovered in an attic trunk in 1960 by Hudson’s daughter.

I don’t care if the story of their provenance is true or false, the essays are funny. Here’s the beginning of her take on church Sacraments:

Sacraments are what you do in Church. What you do
Amy
A very witty collection of short bits of life through a childs eyes. Enjoyable and entertaining.
MisterFweem
I teach composition to university freshmen and sophomore, and occasionally find a few students whoa re as lucid at writing as this little ten=year-old girl. They're fun to read, because they're past the point where they're worried about grammar and spelling -- though they both quite well, thank you very much -- and just have fun with the language. It's hooptedoodle at its finest.
Bill
Woot! I love Virginia Hudson! She covers the Church that I remember as a child with reverence and yet also with tongue in cheek... a very human look at religion. I have read and reread her short books on the Episcopal Church. She also wrote "Credos and Quips" but I don't see it listed in goodreads.
Trish
I believe Ben Merkle read parts of this book at a church dinner long ago - it is especially fun to read out loud. If you need a good belly laugh, this book will do it! I love Mrs. Harris and the Corinthian Julip! Written by a ten year old girl back in 1904, this is a must read.
Brooke
Super fun read. Whether or not this little book actually is a collection of essays by a ten-year-old girl from Virginia in 1904, it has a distinct, entertaining voice. I loved reading it.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Ye_Jig...!)
Teri
O Ye Jigs and Juleps by Virginia Cary Hudson is a quick fun read. It was a favorite of my mom's. This book is a collection of essays by the author in 1904 when she was just 10 years old. Oh the mind of a youngster. They'll say anything.
Emily
wicked and adorable.

also depressing, in its flagrant display of what a 10-year-old's vocabulary was like more than a century ago. i'm so rarely convinced that smartphones equal progress ...
Lou Alice
Dec 05, 2012 Lou Alice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lou Alice by: my mother-in-law
Shelves: humor, owned
This book was highly rated by my mother-in-law, and I have enjoyed it also. The type of wit would perhaps be better appreciated by someone my age or older than the current generation.
Aevalle Galicia
Overall, cute and light read that is good for a lazy afternoon. I wasn't crazy about the drowned cat scene--made me want to slap the narrator--but the rest of it was good.
Mollie
A short delightful read written by a 10 year old Virginia Cary Hudson in about 1904. It gave me insights to what life might of been like for my grandmother's generation.
Brodie
little book full of hilarity. told through the shrewd and whimsical voice of 11 year old Virginia, growing up in Kentucky in 1904. a delicious, joy-inducing quick read.
Joy
I have the 1964 edition which cost 60 cents! I got it from my mother. It has funny little essays written by a 10 year girl. The illustrations are charming.
Oreta
I re-read this book that I bought in the 1970's. Entertaining book of essays written by a 10 year old girl, Virginia Cary Hudson, in 1904.
Rebe
I thoroughly enjoyed and laughed at everything in this book except the incident of unspeakable cruelty to the neighbor's cat.
Adorable and slightly disturbing. Views and opinions are very much "of the time".
Christine
Hilarious essays on life by a ten year old girl at the turn of the century. Very, very, very funny.
Anne
An interesting glimpse at early 20th century life through the eyes of a very precocious child.
Jenelle
Yet another book I came across at a thrift store...

This is hysterical, by the way. A must read.
Linda
Sweet little book which shows us life through the eyes of a child in the 1900s.
Harley Bennett
Delightful collection of essays written by a ten-year old nearly a hundred years ago.
Kelly
All I kept thinkinkg while reading this was "is this really real?" It's very clever.
Nelson Long
My girlfriend and I read a story anight to each other. Hilarious.
  • The Trouble with Angels
  • Loyal Valley: Assassination
  • Mr. Bliss
  • Angel Unaware: A Touching Story of Love and Loss
  • Penn and Teller's How to Play with Your Food
  • More Anguished English: an Expose of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
  • Two Are Better Than One
Flapdoodle, Trust & Obey Close your eyes when praying Credos & Quips O Ye jigs and Juleps Flapdoodle, Trust & Obey: Sequel to "O Ye Jigs & Juleps!"