Start by marking “I'd Really Like to Eat a Child” as Want to Read:
I'd Really Like to Eat a Child

I'd Really Like to Eat a Child

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  935 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
A scrawny little crocodile wants the opportunity to bite off more than he can chew. He's tired of bananas; today he'd like to eat a child. But he's smaller than he thinks, and the little girl he chooses for his first meal puts him in his place—she picks him up and tickles his tummy! The little crocodile is going to have to eat a lot of bananas and grow a lot bigger before ...more
Published April 24th 2007 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I'd Really Like to Eat a Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'd Really Like to Eat a Child

Julia
Dec 14, 2007 Julia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, 2007
finally someone had the courage to say what we've all been thinking.
E
Jan 12, 2014 E rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
It's cute, witty and, by virtue of adeptly mixing those two elements, very clever.

Or it's crass, fear-inducing and inappropriate for children.

What's the answer? That parents shouldn't conservatively assume children can't handle dark humor, but also that parents shouldn't liberally assume all children of all ages can.

As with the brilliantly dark works of Jon Sczieska and Roald Dahl, I would not give this book to any child under the age of six. Depending upon the child, I might not give it to them
Tiffany
Jun 03, 2009 Tiffany rated it did not like it
I saw this book recommended at the bookstore and then had to endure it during story time with my 3-year-old at the museum. It's bizarre and frightening - nightmarish stuff, really. What child wants to think about alligators who are plotting to gobble them up? I figured the end would be somehow redeeming, but no - at the end, the alligator plans to eat more bananas to grow big and strong "so I can eat a child." My 3-year-old kept giving me wide-eyed looks through the whole book - I wish I had jus ...more
أميرة
Aug 24, 2015 أميرة rated it did not like it
Shelves: chld-lit-picbks
Preachy
Benji Martin
Feb 19, 2014 Benji Martin rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I liked when I read it silently to myself, but once I read it out loud to some students, I knew immediately that I love it, and that it's a book I'll be reading to kids for years to come.
Janni
Oct 17, 2011 Janni added it
Brandi
Oct 12, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it
Achilles is a baby crocodile with a dream. Instead of the bananas his mom and dad feed him for breakfast, he would prefer a child. In an attempt to convince his parents to stop feeding him bananas, little Achilles refuses to eat. The tears and bribes of Mama and Papa Crocodile do not convince Achilles to give up his dream. When Achilles finally does come face-to-face with a child, it does not go quite as he planned.
Students will relate to not wanting to eat what their parents give them. Achill
Gregory Walters
Jul 07, 2011 Gregory Walters rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a book's title is too perfect. When I discovered this book on a shelf in a toy store in Seattle, I knew it would make a most amusing addition to the collection I keep in the principal's office. (Runner up that day: Monsters Eat Whiny Children. Oh, how I'd love to meet the store's buyer!)

One clever young office visitor spotted the book and fought unsuccessfully to repress his grin. It was a command reading.

Achilles the crocodile is seemingly content to feast on bananas and the occasiona
Johanna Huang
Feb 15, 2016 Johanna Huang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Although it seems like a scary title for a children's picture book, if you pick it up and read it through - there is a good chance that you will like this book. It's one of the picture books that my kindergarten students would beg me to do another read-aloud. The children can easily relate to the story line which is really about how a little kid (in the book it's the baby crocodile) sometimes just get tired of their parents telling them what they should eat and what they shouldn't. I read it onc ...more
Maggie
Nov 24, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it
"I'd Really Like to Eat a Child" is a cute story with funny illustrations. It left me with a smile on my face. It might not be great for younger readers who might end up fearing being eaten by alligators/crocodiles, but it's a perfect read for a slightly older audience that will appreciate the humor.
Heidi
I'd heard this book was great and even picked it for my Food theme ST. Can't believe I waited until the day before to read it. But it is fabulous as so many said. Adorable pictures. Hilarious story. Best part for me was when he found a child. I hope I do it justice when I read it.

2/15/12 This went quite well in both storytimes. Loved the crocodile. Wide-eyed about him wanting to eat a child. Seemed the river part was their favorite, since the ending was just OK with them. Still--fabulous choice
Maria Burel
Nov 01, 2012 Maria Burel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I’d Really Like to Eat a Child tells the story of a little Alligator, Achilles, who is tired of his daily fare of bananas and decides he has a hankering for a small child instead. Mama and Papa Alligator find this idea ludicrous, and try to dissuade him by offering sausage or a chocolate cake. No dice. The hungry Achilles finally wanders down to the river for a swim, and lo and behold…there sits a child. What happens next is a hilarious lesson in perspective. The story is clever, though make sur ...more
Marijke Plante
Oei, is dit niet eng? dacht ik toen we dit boek cadeau kregen. Een krokodil die een kind op wil eten, slapen ze dan nog wel?

Het krokodilletje leeft normaal op bananen, maar op een dag besluit hij dat hij die niet meer wil omdat hij liever een kindje eet. En ouders worden bijna van niets wanhopiger dan van kinderen die niet willen eten, geloof me. Het meisje dat hij vervolgens tegenkomt en op wil eten is niet bepaald onder de indruk van hem. Hij is namelijk zo schattig!

Het boek heeft een geweldig
Kimberly
May 06, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This book is hysterical. I might have a dark sense of humor, but apparently my 3 year old does too because he adores this book. He has picked it multiple times as the book to take into surgery with him (he likes to read a book while they put him to sleep) and I've found the nurses reading it and laughing when I meet them in recovery. I can relate to the parents attempts to get their kid to eat anything (I think all parents have those days) and their dismay when nothing they do works. The dialogu ...more
Jubilation Lee
So, I wouldn't read this to my infant child -- the book's suggestion that alligators are hungry for your flesh and that, even now, there is an alligator eating his breakfast so that he'll be big enough to chomp you down in a single bite is a little scary. But! For those of us who live in non-alligator-populated areas and who are looking for a fun children's book for slightly older readers, this fit the bill nicely.
Alia
Mar 06, 2008 Alia rated it it was amazing
Finicky eater Achilles is sick of bananas and thinks he's like to eat a child. But the little girl he wants to call dinner is much more clever than this little croc. Counting Crocodiles meets Gregory the Terrible Eater. Oh and the cutest picture book crocodile I've come across. Lyle ain't got nothing on Achilles.
Nancy
Jan 16, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
A lovely book with an obvious "listen to your parents" message and a very very cute baby crocodile...but still slightly disturbing to me and because of that, I love this book!
Michael
Fun, simple art, with great facial expressions for the crocodiles. The story appears to take place somewhere in Africa and the main girl character is dark-skinned.
Astri
Mar 16, 2009 Astri rated it really liked it
What better way to get kids to eat their veggies than to tempt them with an ultimate goal: growing big enough to eat a human child.
I <3 this book.
Kathy
May 07, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I laugh every time I read this book! The drawings of Achilles are adorable.
Sarah BT
Sep 23, 2012 Sarah BT rated it really liked it
Hilarious with an ending that you wouldn't expect.
Walter
Aug 07, 2008 Walter rated it liked it
Recommended to Walter by: Valerie Lewis
Oh, what fun it is to read this book aloud to children!
Heather
Oct 09, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really cute, good for outreach.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Nov 08, 2010 Erin Reilly-Sanders rated it really liked it
While this one seems to disturb other people, I find it adorably hilarious. The idea of a crocodile wanting to eat a child seems natural and appropriate and the simplistic charm of the illustrations suspends any aspects of fear for me. I know that other people think that a child reading the book might be afraid of being eaten after reading it, but the violent aspects of the book seem more funny and comical than harmful. If you compare it to fairytales, which often include physical and gory viole ...more
An Abundance of Books
Aug 04, 2011 An Abundance of Books rated it liked it
Featured at An Abundance of Books

Young Achilles wakes up one day and decides that he would really like to eat a child. His mother only has bananas for him and points out that "children don't grow on banana trees". Achilles refuses the bananas in hopes for a child for breakfast. Later on his father brings him a giant sausage. Achilles refuses this meal also, even though his father tells him that "there's no such thing as a sausage made from children".

His parents decide to appeal to their son's sw
S.N. Arly
Apr 19, 2011 S.N. Arly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This was one of those spontaneous purchases that really pays off. I'd never heard of this book when my son picked it out at the book store. It's clever, it's silly and it even gives some useful information (if you don't eat your breakfast, you'll feel weird and if you don't eat well, you won't be big enough to achieve your dreams). The language flows well, making it a pleasure to read aloud, and is definitely not dumbed-down for kids, which is the best way to add to their vocabulary.

The story fo
Shel
Jun 26, 2012 Shel rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Donnio, S. (2007). I'd Really Like to Eat a Child. New York: Random House.

Let me repeat. The title of this book is "I'd Really Like to Eat a Child." That alone made me want to read it.

I wasn't disappointed.

Appetizer: Achilles, a baby crocodile, is tired of eating bananas for breakfast. He doesn't even want sausage. So, he refuses to eat until he gets what he really wants and he would really like to eat a child. And when he sees a girl on the river's edge, all by herself, he tries t
YoSafBridg
May 25, 2008 YoSafBridg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-and-read

Now here’s a lovely sentiment: I’d Really Like to Eat a Child by Sylvianne Donnio • Illustrated by Dorothée de Monfreid (don't you ever just get to feeling that way [like when the little darlings are running about the library making lots of loud, annoying kiddie-type noises crashing into other patrons and library displays and such; and their parents are wandering about {or surfing the internet} blithely ignoring their responsibilities~makes a librarian want to rampage...]?). Achilles is a baby c
Molly
Mar 30, 2015 Molly rated it liked it
I cracked up and was entertained. This story though, like Klass's "I Want My Hat Back" or "This Is Not My Hat," has a dry, almost dark humor that just won't fly with some kids. Some will LOVE IT, others will be terrified, that's just how a book like this is going to be received. Proceed with caution and consider your audience. If you decide to go for it, leap in and have fun learning to eat well to get bigger and stronger (and perhaps you can too one day eat a child ;) ).
Kate
Feb 14, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
Hilarious! I've read it at a few different story times and it was a hit...I was worried it might be a bit dark but only one child out of multiple groups seemed nervous about it (she seemed pretty freaked out by the idea that anyone would want to eat children). Overall, the story was a hit and they loved the twist that the little alligator was too small to eat a child, they also loved little Achilles turning his nose up at delicious foods like chocolate cake!
  • Monsters Eat Whiny Children
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • Ugly Fish
  • Shark In The Park
  • Brief Thief
  • Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct
  • Punk Farm
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Grumpy Bird