Start by marking “How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food” as Want to Read:
How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food

How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  4,315 ratings  ·  94 reviews
"A chatty, sometimes cheeky,celebration of home-cooked meals."
USA TodayThrough her wildly popular television shows, her five bestselling cookbooks, her line of kitchenware, and her frequent media appearances, Nigella Lawson has emerged as one of the food world's most seductive personalities. How to Eat is the book that started it all—Nigella's signature, all-purpose cookb
Published May 18th 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about How to Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Eat

Caulyne B
Aug 21, 2007 Caulyne B rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like food
Shelves: cooking
This is part cookbook, but don't buy it for that. Buy it for Nigella's lovely thoughts on how to cook, what to keep around, and a philosophy about food.

If you're trying to cook from it, this book may frustrate you-- sometimes I had to dig to find what I had remembered reading. Some are just simple paragraphs telling you what to toss in a pan.

I would hunker down on the couch on a Sunday morning and I could almost taste the ingredients as they were described. Happy times.
Anne
I still haven't made the majority of the recipes in this book — that will take years — but almost every one I've made has turned out fantastically (and the ones that haven't have been through my own errors, not the recipe's). What's more, the book is a fabulous read; I can read it even when I'm not in the mood for cooking. Not for nothing did it win a Book of the Year award in Britain. Lawson's prose is fabulous.
Beth
Nigella Lawson is one of those people you just like watching on TV. She could be making a tuna noodle casserole with Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, but the way her satiny voice describes food and ingredients, you'd think she was making the most delicious dinner ever created. I find myself frequently hypnotized by her way with words and she never fails to make cooking feel like a sensual experience.

Part cookbook, part dissertation to the merits of understanding food, Nigella wins you over in
devra
definitely another cookbook worth reading cover to cover, recipe by recipe. she’s very engaging, chatty even, and makes everything seem simple and doable.

i like her mantra of picking a skill to work on and then practicing it until it feels natural instead of a challenge. will apply this to making pie crust (pastry crust?) over the next several weeks...

i’m just in the “basics” section right now--it seems to dovetail with the ease and serendipity of the nigel slater’s recipes. which makes sense, g
Mariah
I received this as a Christmas gift, my dad decided to give everyone cookbooks this year. I had never heard of the author, but apparently she is a British lady that has a show on the Food Network.

Just from perusing through this book it seems many of the recipes call for exotic ingredients, like hare, quail eggs, etc. that would be likely expensive and hard to find, even if you live in a large metro area as I do. A lot of the traditional English dishes she has here are pretty fattening as well.
Beverly
The majority of the recipes sound really tasty, but there wasn't anything new or surprising to me in her recipes. It's kind of an updated, British, Joy of Cooking-type cookbook. Very useful for daily home cooking, not too exciting when you want to challenge yourself.
Kaajal Noorani
How To Eat.....the title at first can be a put off. But once you open it and glance through the pages and Content, it seems that you ought to buy this book. It is from Basics to just anything about cooking. Correct and appropriate tips that you can never Forget. Basics like broth and meats and how to treat them. She Shares alot from her experience as a child....recipes that have been passed on from her grandmother and some that she has chanced upon. How meals can be managed and combination Foods ...more
JoAnn/QuAppelle
Someone wrote that if one liked the writing of Laurie Colwin, this book of Nigella Lawson's would also be appealing. Well, that person was right!

While it is impossible to compare these two women, both write lovingly about food and eating. Lawson calls herself an eater, not a chef, and I am sure that Colwin would have described herself the same way.

This book is just so darn universally appealing. I bought three to give for Christmas gifts.

There is nothing not to like about this book....great stor
Marin
Anyone who watches "Nigella Feasts" already knows how beautifully and sensuously Nigella Lawson communicates about food. If you love to read cook books (and I do), you'll go crazy for this book. It is the reason you love to read cook books in the first place. It fills you up, just in the reading. If you think it's weird to like to read cook books, but you love food, you'll still love this book because it's mostly writing about delicious food--while there are a lot of recipes, I suppose you could ...more
Deborah
Yes, it's a cookbook - in that it contains recipes - but it holds so much more as well. Nigella's philosophy on not just cooking but eating really resonated with me on a lot of levels and as a result, this book sits not with the other cookbooks in the kitchen but on my "pull down, thumb through and often re-read" shelf in easy reach of comfy chairs. The tone is informative and conversational - it's like having one of your best friends over for a putter in the kitchen just to see what you can com ...more
Alex
Having already bought a couple of Nigella's cookbooks, I did not realize that this one was the first, and somewhat different in that it is mostly commentary about food and entertaining. The commentary is both engaging and affected, the recipes are fairly straightforward. The measurements are all metric, and some of the vocabulary is British (remind me what a mangetout is).

I went on to read a short biography of Nigella and discovered that she does in fact come from a background of wealth and priv
Penelope
This is such an irritating, smug book! Only useful to people with unlimited money & access to a deli!
Deodand
I want to call this book Why To Eat. The best parts of it are Lawson's heartfelt enthusiasms about cooking as education and a means of restoration of family bonhomie.

She is very opinionated about food. I don't always agree with her on matters of taste but I enjoy hearing what she has to say. The recipes? Again, not always to my taste. She states in the beginning that many of the recipes are relatively easy, but there are quite a few time-sinks in these pages. That's not my personal bag as a coo
Sarah Whitmore willis
This was my bedside book for years! Enough said!
Antonia
I come back to this book time and time again.

I love the writing - it's more than a cookery book, it tells a story - where the recipes came from, what they make her feel and when she makes them.

From a cooking perspective, if you like fool proof instructions to follow, without any deviation, then this isnt the best - it can vary a little so you have to 'feel' it more, but then again that is what cooking is about. Feeling it - it isnt a mathematical algorithm that you plug in to get a result!.

Love
Marie Claire
Fab...The wonderful Nigella writes beautifully. Ideal for those who are already confident in the kitchen and view eating as a sensual pleasure rather than essential. Like Nigel Slater, Nigella gives the reader credit for knowing what they want and this book is more of an informative guide rather than a step-by-step hold your hand type book you might get from Delia. The book itself is actually rather ugly to look at but the words are evocative and mouthwatering. Food writing rather than tradition ...more
Clare
This is an outstanding book. The chapters on cooking for one, and cooking for children are excellent.

My only complaint is that it's hard to get a high-level overview of what is in it. I find myself using it less than my other recipe books simply because I can't remember what she covers, or whether she has a recipe corresponding to the set of ingredients I have in mind.

For basics, such as roast meat and poultry, or sauces, this is a logical place to turn.
Kate
Good writing and a good book to read. Some of the recipes don't quite work as they should, and sometimes she uses ingredients that I can't get or are way too expensive.
Some of her recipes I make again and again. The best ones are:
Yorkshire pudding (always rises really well)
Birthday cake (the chocolate one, it's lush)
Gooey chocolate puddings
Moules Mariniere

I also like it for the childrens section with good recipes to make with and for your shildren.
Bittersweet
i like this style of a cookbook; meant for reading and collecting ideas as much as delivering recipes. Can't be beaten for feeding children and cooking in advance for guests. So many gems i don't know where to start in pinpointing favourites, but i know that just opening the book will immediately reveal a goodie .. today i found bakewell tart with fresh raspberries and beef stew made with thyme and anchovies on the same page. Both recipes i have made often.
Erin
Feb 09, 2014 Erin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
No pictures?! How did I miss the fact this cookbook has no pictures?
Lia
Buku ini menunjukkan kalau Tante Nigella memang seorang yang mencintai makanan dari proses persiapan sampai penyantapan. Bisa gitu ya, ada orang yang menulis tentang makanan sampai menghasilkan buku setebal ini. Di dalamnya memang ada resep, tips masak, tapi juga banyak filosofi hidup dan makanan (ya apa lagi?) yang ditulis tante cantik ini.
Habis baca buku ini rasanya selera makan tambah menggelora hehehe
Janet
I love Nigella's style. I have watched her food network show for years and the way she talks about food is so different from other television chefs. Her book is even better. It's more of a conversation...she talks you thru her recipes...giving you the background and the importance of why it's included in the book. I would have to say I haven't made a ton from this book but I love picking it up for inspiration.
Mrs.
If you want a cookbook with detailed instructions and loads of pictures, this book is not for you. No pictures, and many recipes assume that you have some cooking basics under your belt. Nevertheless, a worthwhile book with a dreamy, meditative quality. It's a book you sit down and actually read, instead of just thumbing through for a recipe. Nigella is one of the most interesting cookbook authors around.
Maria
Cooking for Xmas inspired me to pick this up and have a read. I didn't actually cook anything from the book, but it really is fantastic. A celebration of cooking at home conveying the real pleasure of preparing a meal and sharing it with friends or just cooking for oneself and developing a sense for what works. I will definitely be trying some of it out over the coming months.
Lorita Abdullah
Jun 28, 2010 Lorita Abdullah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Recipe Collectors
Recommended to Lorita by: Own curiousity
This is one of those books that's so comfortable and friendly it's less like reading and more like slipping your hand into the hand of a friend you've known for years. I've had it for a long while, and I've got a whole packet of stickies marking various recipes I want to try, but every time I sit down to try and pick something to cook, I get sidetracked just reading.
Eynat
I love the way Nigella Lawson writes about food - this is the one book that really made me want to cook and be adventurous. I love her commentary to the recipes, the way the book is laid out and the section about kids. I have made a fair few of the recipes and they are always a joy to cook. The only downside for me is a certain shortage of vegetarian recipes.
Ruhegeist
I'm actually no where near done with this book but will pick at it slowly. I have enjoyed her comments and philosophy. The structure of the book seems a little unorganized. This perception may change with further reading of the book. Seems way way over my head. A cook, I am not. Hopefully I can learn and grow as I read and experiment with this book.
Rachel Campo
This was the first Nigella cookbook I read after getting hooked in her show. I enjoy her recipes and chuckle along with her stories. Nigella loves good food and writes convincingly about the importance of sharing food with family and friends and even enjoying good food when alone.
Nicole
This is Nigella's best book, hands down. She is a MUCH better writer than a recipe crafter, and this book really is more about appreciating food than cooking. Not great for beginners, despite the way it's pitched, but perfect for reminding cooks why they're bothering in the first place.
  • Appetite
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper
  • Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantry
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon
  • Bake
Nigella Lawson is the daughter of former Conservative cabinet minister Nigel Lawson (now Lord Lawson) and the late Vanessa Salmon, socialite and heir to the Lyons Corner House empire, who died of liver cancer in 1985. Lawson attended Godolphin and Latymer School and Westminster School before graduating from Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, with a degree in Medieval and Modern Languages.
Lawson wrote a r
More about Nigella Lawson...
How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast Feast: Food to Celebrate Life Nigella Bites: From Family Meals to Elegant Dinners--Easy, Delectable Recipes for Any Occasion Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home

“Sometimes it's good just to be seduced by the particular cheeses spread out in front of you on a cheese counter.” 10 likes