Start by marking “The New Atoms' Bombshell” as Want to Read:
The New Atoms' Bombshell

The New Atoms' Bombshell

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  9 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Despite the "first time in print" notation that appears on the cover of this paperback novel, a major portion of the text appeared in an earlier, hardcover edition entitled The Last Man Is Out, published under the by-line of Marvin Karlins in 1969. The addition of four new chapters and an occasional name change constitute the major differences in the new edition.
Mass Market Paperback, 212 pages
Published January 12th 1980 by Del Rey (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The New Atoms' Bombshell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Atoms' Bombshell

Bob Rust
Nov 06, 2016 Bob Rust rated it it was amazing
His first book The Last Man is Out (1969) vt The New Atoms' Bombshell (1980) a Near Future tale in which a bored scientist uses Computers and other devices to maximize outcomes for the Baseball team he has inherited.
Clive Young
Oct 30, 2011 Clive Young rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: sci-fi nuts who love baseball
Stephanie Griffin
Nov 25, 2012 Stephanie Griffin rated it it was ok
Published in 1980, The New AToms’ Bombshell is about a failing major league baseball team located in Chicago. Its set in the future year of 2002. The owner dies and in a weird bequest leaves the team to teacher Matt Paradise for one year. Part of the deal is that he has to be a starting pitcher AND disguise his identity by wearing bandages on his face AND change his name! Wait…What?! He has to wear bandages on his face for the entire baseball season?!

Matt/Michael Paradise/Alexander asks his old
Tom Triumph
Jan 11, 2014 Tom Triumph rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book--when I was in 8th grade. Neither a baseball fan or Sci-fi fan, other than a normal, casual interest, I randomly picked up the book (I was intrigued by the cover) and it captured my imagination. In the end, I wound up doing an English project on it (a poster, including mock tickets to an Atoms' game).

What I remember liking was the use of statistics to give the Atoms an advantage. Unlike other stories that involved magic and such, it seemed believable that an average sc
Kevin
Oct 30, 2011 Kevin marked it as avoiding
I can't imagine I shall have the stomach to even try to read this "comedic" scifi baseball novel, but it is certainly a genre convergence that invites involuntary rubbernecking.
Allan
Allan rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Doug Beechler
Doug Beechler rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2015
Ron Kaplan
Ron Kaplan rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2010
Douglas
Douglas rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Josh
Oct 02, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f
See my entry for The Last Man Is Out, instead. It is the better book, by my reading.
Dan
Tom
Tom added it
Sep 17, 2012
Merryjoycuevas
Merryjoycuevas marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Sam Colletti
Sam Colletti marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Matt Warner
Matt Warner marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016