Start by marking “The Dead Pull Hitter (Kate Henry Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Pull Hitter (Kate Henry Mystery #1)

The Dead Pull Hitter (Kate Henry Mystery #1)

I’m Katherine Henry. My friends call me Kate. I am a baseball writer by trade. I’m forty, older than most of the Titans, including the manager. I’m tallish, prettyish, and a lot more interesting than most of the people I write about.

I’m good at my job, to the active disappointment of some of my male colleagues, who have been waiting for me to fall on my face since the day
Published March 1st 1991 by Onyx (first published April 23rd 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Pull Hitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Pull Hitter

Thad Allen
Jul 12, 2016 Thad Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. I usually have a small problem with baseball books that use a fictional name for a real team that is in a real city. Ms. Gordon did this calling the Toronto Blue Jays the Toronto Titans. I understand why this is done, but it is a small peeve of mine. Never the less I really enjoyed this one after the first few pages.

I just read Ms. Gordon's Wikipedia page and found that she was actually the first lady who covered a major league baseball team, the Toronto Blue Jays. Thi
Marika
Feb 14, 2015 Marika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, mystery
Great fun, neat if you know something about baseball, especially the Blue Jays who are clearly who the Toronto Titans are based upon. Fun, catchy, humorous. Written by Alison Gordon who was an actual sportswriter for the Blue Jays in the early 80s.
Dorothy
Written by one of the first female sports writers. Fair plot, with lots of baseball details (which will interest fans, and can be easily skipped by the non-fan). First in the Kate Henry series of 5 books.
Joelle Anthony
Mar 22, 2015 Joelle Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book if you love baseball the way I do. Not too gruesome either. Quite timeless considering it's almost thirty years old.
Paul
Mar 24, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
BOTTOM-LINE:
Nice start to the series
PLOT OR PREMISE:
Dead Pull Hitter feels like it picks up where Gordon's non-fiction left off: the Toronto Titans have finished in fourth place the previous year and are starting to pull it together for a pennant race; the protagonist Kate Henry is a woman sportswriter who's covered them for five years; she works for the Toronto Planet which is sandwiched in the news market between the stodgy World and the bimbette-littered pages of the Mirror. At times it was
Susan
Jan 14, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Henry is a sports reporter for a Toronto newspaper and her beat is the Toronto Titians, a major league baseball team. When pitchers start dropping dead of unnatural causes, her beat turns into homicide. I have to admit that I've read better mysteries but I've rarely read a novel by a writer who knows more about professional baseball. As a baseball fan, this book was a joy. I already have her others on my 'to read' pile.
Jan "don't blame me, I also voted for Hillary"
This is a fun read, particularly if you are baseball fan. Kate Henry is a sports writer covering the Toronto Titans who are going to the playoffs for the first time in years. All is well until one of the players is murdered. Kate uses her investigative journalist skills to help solve the murder--until she comes to the murderer's attention and may be the next victim.
Lane
Jul 29, 2016 Lane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A good mystery and good baseball book. After reading her book on her time as beat writer for the Blue Jays you can see the relationship the the real big league team.
Sharon Helfrich
Jun 11, 2012 Sharon Helfrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great traditional mystery for baseball fans!
Joe O'Connor
Very Good; Continuing character: Kate Henry (first in series); woman sportswriter for Toronto baseball team helps solve the mystery when two of the players are killed
Homerun2
Jun 27, 2016 Homerun2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michael-read
A mystery with a baseball setting, written by a pioneer woman sportswriter. Right up my alley, nicely written, and funny. A winner.
Gregory
It's baseball. It's a mystery. It has a charming feisty female reporter as the main character. Fun stuff.
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Faith Weitzel
Faith Weitzel rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Dawn Dowd
Dawn Dowd rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Mike R
2 pennant winning players murdered at clinching
Matthew Elmslie
Matthew Elmslie rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2013
Molly Weston
Molly Weston rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Darlene Lane
Darlene Lane rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2011
Nic
Nic rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Susannah
Susannah rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2007
Joellen
Joellen rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2016
shannon fairley
shannon fairley rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2017
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
May 03, 2017
John
John rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Kate North
Kate North rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Heather Henderson
Heather Henderson rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Markley Bond
Markley Bond rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Lena
Lena rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Alison Gordon was born in New York City. She spent her childhood in New York, Tokyo, Cairo and Rome because of her (Canadian) father's work with the United Nations. She attended Queen's University but left before completing her degree. Alison held various positions in television, radio and newspaper, including five years as a baseball writer for the Toronto Star (1979-1985). Foul Balls, her first ...more
More about Alison Gordon...

Kate Henry Mystery (5 books)
  • Safe at Home (Kate Henry Mystery #2)
  • Night Game (Kate Henry Mystery #3)
  • Striking Out (Kate Henry Mystery #4)
  • Prairie Hardball (Kate Henry Mystery #5)