The Stargazey: A Richard Jury Mystery (Richard Jury Mysteries 15)

The Stargazey: A Richard Jury Mystery (Richard Jury #15)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,837 ratings  ·  75 reviews
On a bleak November day, Richard Jury rides old double-decker bus #14 travelling to Fulham Road when a woman boards the bus in front of the Stargazey pub, leaves, reboards, and leaves again. Curious, he follows her to the gates of Fulham Palace. Had he gone beyond the gates, he might have averted a murder and later another at a crusty old men's club. Jury and his band of l...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 647 pages
Published April 1st 1999 by Thorndike Press (first published November 5th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Stargazey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stargazey

Sherry Chandler
Dec 27, 2007 Sherry Chandler rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Although they operate on the level of mystery, all Martha Grimes novels are also parodies. This one goes after noir -- cherchez la blonde in sable -- with a little bit of Nick and Nora Charles thrown in. Part Hitchcock, part Dashiell Hammett. Grimes is always more fun when she's having fun.
Johnny

While I am a fan of the Richard Jury series, I have to confess that this mystery was the most improbable and disjointed effort of the series. While I wasn’t surprised as to the murderer, I was briefly taken aback by the identity of the same. I feel like this story depended far too much on capriciously handled international intrigue without the kind of emotional involvement I’m used to seeing in either Melrose Plant or Richard Jury. In this episode, it seems like Jury manipulates Melrose like a p...more
Tasula
Martha Grimes always comes out with a thoughtful mystery, and perambulates around the core mystery with vignettes of her favorite characters from Northants and London's Scotland Yard. If you read her books without a break between them, you might get tired of the descriptions of Wiggins' hypochondria, Carole Anne's charm, or Cyril the cat's ongoing war with Racer (Supt Jury's boss at Scotland Yard), but I guess for new readers, some of the descriptions are necessary. And some of the little side s...more
Audrey
I think I'm losing my taste for Martha Grimes. I get tired of her characters' self-conscious approach to everything--they're always feeling complicated things. Why is Jury so lame with women? Why is Melrose always sliding so easily into unlikely situations (and he's lame with women too)? These two characters have become very unnatural. I don't think they bear much resemblance to real men. I also thought this book was slow to get started and then the mystery itself was a little unconnected. I thi...more
Arlene
Jury sees a woman in a sable coat on the bus. When she gets off the bus and walks a ways, then gets back on the bus, then gets off again, he follows her to the entrance to a public garden. The next day a woman is found dead in the garden wearing a sable coat. Is it the same woman? Then the coat on the dead woman is linked to a famous old movie star and the family of an art dealer. The case keeps Jury and his friend Plant puzzled. Another twisty English plot.
I didn't like this one as much as I h...more
Kt Thames
For once I was actually able to figure out "who did it" before it was revealed at the end. I thoroughly enjoy this series and highly recommend it, but the "mystery" in the book was a little more transparent than most. And while I adore Melrose Plant, Marshall Trueblood, Aunt Agatha and others, their escapades in this novel were far more tame than normal.
Lin Wollen
Martha Grimes is another really, really good mystery author. Her characters live their lives inside your brain. You care about the murder ( it's always murder!) but you care more about the characters.
Marge
This is the fifteenth book in the Richard Jury series and another clever story that adds another layer to the friendship between Jury and Melrose Plant.
Marian H.
Made me want to read all the other Richard Jury books - delightful balance of humor, mystery and great characters.
Leilaniolanai
Great writing with a twist that always make you think!
Sandra Strange
This series contains really good British mysteries, and features a host of repeating characters, Jury, a Scotland Yard chief inspector (so goes all over England and other places when asked), along with his rich aristocratic friend Melrose Plant, with the people (many eccentric, many real characters) surrounding both--Plant in his Northamptonshire estate and the small towns surrounding him, and Jury at his London apartment and with all the helpers and local police officials that surround him, whe...more
Jill Hutchinson
I like to read Martha Grimes stories for the characters surrounding Melrose Plant (Lord Ardrey).....no small village could have that many eccentric people and sometimes they can be tiresome. But for the most part, I find them rather delightful. Richard Jury from Scotland Yard, who is Melrose's best friend gets him involved in one more case, this one involving hired assassins, stolen art, murder, and mistaken identity. As this series proceeds, it is Melrose who becomes the central character and d...more
Kristen
Another Richard Jury novel. Interesting and a page-turner. I like books where I can get a general idea of what's going on and "whodunnit," but you don't know for sure and a lot of details aren't revealed to the very end. In this one, I knew there was something fishy about a certain character but couldn't put my finger on it until Jury himself figured it out. This one has to do with the art world. As always, Jury's sidekicks such as Melrose Plant, Marshall Trueblood and Wiggins are well-developed...more
Almeta
Because of the characters I keep reading another "Richard Jury Mystery". I think these stories should be called the "Melrose Plant Mysteries". Does Richard Jury really do anything but become infatuated with women and play the straight man for Sgt. Wiggens? It seems Melrose does all of the heavy lifting. It is hard to believe that Melrose can even tolerate the Cripps family, but he does. Oddly they become endearing.

With each book I got to know the cast more, and eventually could laugh when their...more
Miranda
I read this book after traveling to the UK and loved it. Martha Grimes is not from London,but she describes the city well enough that if you were just there, you recognize landmarks, street names etc. This mystery is great, there are tons of twists and turns in it that keep you guessing until the very end. I love British Mysteries and have recently discovered Martha Grimes after reading The Man with a Load of Michief prior sometime last year. I loved how that novel was sets in British pubs and w...more
Lisa
Fine, but more convoluted than some of the earlier Jury novels. I like Grimes writing, and enjoy the friendship between Jury and Melrose Plant, but there were just too many people in this one to stay on point.
Kaethe
To be Richard Jury is to invite the death of any woman who catches his eye. Not my favorite.
Jane Drager
Another good read from Martha Grimes. A Richard Jury story, one of many I've read.
Jean
Enjoyed the twists and turns all the way to the end.
Lynne Cosmano
Love all the Richard Jury books
Jenny
I enjoy international female killers. Take that Jury!
Stobby
I enjoy reading a light mystery once and a while. Martha Grimes creates fast paced, well-written pocketbooks that aren't pieces of literature you feel morally committed to, although some of intertwining characters can require a pen and paper.

In my opinion, Stargazey wasn’t as entertaining as her other novels. I predicted the climax while meandering through her endless descriptions of rooms and gardens. The dialogue induced a laugh or two but the crux of the book was a thriller and I didn’t finis...more
Pankhuree
Bloated by bad writing, the only mystery in this book is why readers would settle for subpar writers like this one. The city that goes by that name in this book is a caricature drawn by someone who wouldn't know London if it bit her on the ankle. Skip it and if you are in the mood for a genuine British mystery written with a light touch, art theft and memorable characters set in the English countryside, check out the Miss Seeton series by Heron Carvic starting with "Picture Miss Seeton."
Sara
Interesting, smart, British mystery

Really enjoy the Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes, this is the 15th in the series. I liked the first half of the book, but found the last half to be predictable. A lady is found murdered in a park, only Richard Jury saw her on a bus the day that she was murdered. He is not sure that the murdered woman is the same woman he saw on the bus, although the dead woman is wearing the same clothes.

L-V
This is actually the first Martha Grimes book that I read. I got started way in the middle. At first, I couldn't get into the book because all of the characters were new to me (and I could tell that I had missed some of their history in prior books). But this is where I fell in love with the Richard Jury series. After finishing this book, I started at the beginning and got caught up. I hope she never stops writing!
Miriam
Good beach book. That's about all the reading I can manage these days.
Mary
I can't say enough about Martha Grimes' works on audio. Pure heaven! Her character development and storytelling are sublime. In this outing, Jury is intrigued by a woman on a double decker bus. When a murder is committed, he is intent upon finding her again. While I guessed most of where this was going, the journey was still fascinating!
Writerlibrarian
Much better than the last three installment in the series. This closes a dry spell I hope. I think Grimes created a nemesis for Jury. Still Plant (without the annoying gang of the village) is good in this one. The reader reconnects with the very wrong side of the track Cripps family. Set in the art/gallery world. Solid 3 stars.
Janet Meissner
Sometimes, Jury doesn't get assigned to a case as much as trips over them. This is the second Grimes novel I've read where Jury focuses on a strange woman and follows her, only to discover a murder at the end, and he, of course, invites himself onto the case. I love the character interactions more than the mysteries.
  • In the Presence of the Enemy (Inspector Lynley, #8)
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • To Fear a Painted Devil
  • To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant #4)
Martha Grimes is an American author of detective fiction.

She was born May 2 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to D.W., a city solicitor, and to June, who owned the Mountain Lake Hotel in Western Maryland where Martha and her brother spent much of their childhood. Grimes earned her B.A. and M.A. at the University of Maryland. She has taught at the University of Iowa, Frostburg State University, and Montg...more
More about Martha Grimes...
The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1) The Old Fox Deceiv'd (Richard Jury, #2) The Anodyne Necklace (Richard Jury, #3) The Blue Last (Richard Jury, #17) The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)