Start by marking “My Prison Without Bars” as Want to Read:
My Prison Without Bars

My Prison Without Bars

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  575 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Pete Rose holds more major league baseball records than any other player in history. He stands alone as baseball's hit king, having shattered the previously "unbreakable" record held by Ty Cobb. He is a blue-collar hero with the kind of old-fashioned work ethic that turned great talent into legendary accomplishments.

Peter Rose is also a lifelong gambler and a sufferer of o

Hardcover, Large Print, 592 pages
Published May 14th 2004 by Thorndike Press (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about My Prison Without Bars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Prison Without Bars

Pete Rose's voice came through loud and clear in this autobiography, despite the use of a ghostwriter. I was hopeful that this book would give me some clarity regarding Pete Rose and his permanent suspension. Sadly, I am no closer to any resolution on this moral dilemma. He offered explanations that sometimes sounded like excuses, but sometimes didn't. And of course, he lied before. He's lied for years. How can I believe anything he says now? I am still in a quandary. But I am still glad I read ...more
This book is pretty bad. It actually reduced my sympathy for him. He talks about his psychological ailments that seem phony for the most part. Mostly it is one long awful excuse for the ways he has made a hash of his own life. Sad but true. On the other hand, understanding what happened to Rose definitely casts some light on the current mess in baseball. It looks to me like people like Bonds, McGwire, and Clemens have learned from Rose's mistakes. They will deny wrongdoing all the way to the wal ...more
Jeffrey Williams
I loved watching Pete Rose in his Hall of Fame quality baseball career, but was disappointed with this book. The admission to betting on baseball notwithstanding, the introduction of the medical terms and "Pete Rose Logic" was a huge distraction. Also, the narrative was poorly written (by the ghostwriter) and the transitions between speakers made it a clumsy read.

For an autobiography, I would have also expected to hear more about growing up and his family. He rarely mentions his brothers and sis
Todd Russell
Pete Rose attempts to come clean on gambling on MLB. I enjoyed some of the backstory and insight into Pete's past but felt the excuses rang a bit hollow. Props to him for writing the book, but I'm not sure if we still got the whole story. Maybe there will be a sequel.
Eddie Scroxton,01
My Prison Without Bars, by Pete Rose is a nonfiction book about the life of the baseball star and addict Pete Rose. Pete Rose tells his story starting when he was a kid, growing up in Cincinnati. He grew up with a perfectionist dad and a bold mom. They also were both perseverant. All of those character traits helped Pete be successful in his career in baseball and life. Growing up, he played baseball and football, but dropped out of school in 10th grade. Starting at a young age Pete went with hi ...more
Pete Rose's My Prison Without Bars is written for a purpose: to make Pete Rose's case for the Hall of Fame. On paper, Rose's credentials seem unassailable. The all-time career hits leader, Rose owns seven Major League and twelve National League records from his 24 years in baseball.
The controversy comes down to Major League Baseball's Rule 21: "Any... employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared perm
Nov 14, 2008 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Baseball fans
Shelves: sports
I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. It was quick to read and I agree with others he isn't a writer-- but it was Pete Rose all the way! I'm sick of these ghost writers that make normal people sound like English pofessors. He's a crusty guy with salty language and I enjoyed reading about him. There were also many funny parts in it.
Yes, he should have come clean years ago but I doubt if someone as self centered and arrogant as he is could admit he made a mistake. I always feel like politicia
Steve Van Slyke
Jan 21, 2011 Steve Van Slyke rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Baseball fans
Shelves: sports
Rick Hill does a good job of making the reader think he's listening to Pete Rose. Only a few times does it seem as if someone else is doing the talking, as when he talks about Jim Eisenrich, another individual that Hill has written about.

The book's publication was intended to follow Rose's confession to Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig as a confession to the public in general that he did in fact bet on baseball. It was hoped that it might help to lead to his reinstatement.

However, and even though
Shouldn't baseball be about baseball? Pete Rose is a great ball player and he should be in The Hall of Fame. Actually I have to take his word for that as I don't know anything about baseball. All of these more moral than thou types really give me the creeps. Mostly they are less moral than thou but love to spout the righteous line. I happen to like Pete Rose but regardless of what I or anyone else thinks of his behavior, you can't fault him as a ball player, and baseball is about playing ball. I ...more
It took me 10 years to read the book by my favorite baseball player of all time. It's far from a well-written book and, in fact, it exposes Pete for being a guy who really is so "old school" that I can see why some people aren't looking to do him any favors. At the time of it's writing, Pete had just acknowledged his gambling on baseball and was hopeful of being reinstated to baseball in the near future. Ten years later, he is still waiting.

Pete was a great player who, on the filed, was the ulti
As a life long baseball fan, I enjoyed this read thoroughly. In my opinion, this book gives me a better understanding of Pete Rose, his early years and his many early influences leading to the decisions he has made throughout his life. I believe what happens on the field is most important and what happens off the field stays off the field. No one can deny his hustle around the diamond, sprinting to first base on a walk is designed to intimidate the opponent and depicts confidence in he and his t ...more
Sep 13, 2007 JC rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Baseball fans only
A fun read. It's obvious Pete Rose isn't an author but he writes like he talks. By this I mean like a salty, veteran pro baseball player. He includes a lot of entertaining anecdotes which I would put down as the best reason to read the book. However, if you don't know much about Pete Rose and if you didn't know he got banned from baseball and barred from being inducted into the hall of fame because of gambling allegations then you're probably not a huge baseball fan and this book won't be of muc ...more
wonderful history from the best all round baseball player of all time! What a shame to be held to a different standard than Mantle and Babe Ruth! Great read for baseball and Pete Rose fans! Glad I read it! You will be too.
Gregg Strock
This was another surprisingly good memoir. As a baseball fan and pete rose fan, this was already an interesting topic. But, Pete rose makes it even better by not just focusing on the negative aspects of his baseball career. much of the book is actually a recollection of comedic moments and triumphant ones as well. but, the main point of the book is never lost, which is Pete Rose being locked in by his lie about gambling on baseball as a manager for the Reds. The comedy in this book is a great so ...more
Fernando Gonzales
My Prison Without bars by Pete Rose is a biography. He rights about his rise to fame in the baseball community and his ban in baseball. Its a good book. i recommend it to any person who likes baseball.
Lonnie Smith
I thought I remember liking this book a lot more when it first came out.

Billed as a tell all, it comes across more as a 320 page excuse. Rose admits to wrongdoing, but he is quick to shift the blame from himself to his home life, or his mental conditions. Sure he bet on baseball, but people with ADD are much more likely to gamble than normal folk. Some of the actions of other athletes make more sense in light of Rose's responsibility shifting memoir.

On a different note, it is obvious that even
This is being added in honor of the Phillies winning the World Series in 2008. Since Pete Rose was one of the heroes of 1980, he has a special place in my heart. He was also one of the greatest baseball players to ever play the game, more as a result of his desire and hard work than anything. Unfortunately, now that his playing career is over he would be better served to remain quiet. Not because he is a bad guy but because people often take advantage of some of the things he says either out of ...more
Jon Conners
Very poorly written book. Not recommended even to sports fans.
Tim Ryan
Pete Rose was the ultimate hometown legend. Born and raised in Cincinnati, he played 17 years for the Reds, including his first and last game. Pete paints a picture of himself as a victim, being made an example of by major league baseball. I tend to agree with that theory.
Mike Salmans
Good read but to little to late
Daniel Shields
Pete Rose is a dynamic, controversial baseball legend, and this book is essentially his hall of fame campaign, politically charged and obviously written to make you want Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame, it's a good read, that makes me even more of a fan of Pete Rose - and feel he is more deserving than *any* of the steroid era players. If you like Baseball, give it a read, you can spend your time doing far worse things
Tim Hickey
I love Pete Rose. With that how could I not like this book. Pete Rose did lie about betting on baseball and weather he altered games in which he was managing is still under question, but this man was a warrior in the years I was growing up love his "hustle".
I find it confusing how baseball would look the other way for the "steroid users", but did condone Rose for his betting.
for so long Pete Rose has been saying he should not have been banned from baseball- this book will not change your mind if you think he should be banned- it's very excuse filled and no acceptance of responsibility- like when Clemens threw the bat at Piazza and said he thought it was the ball!!!!-but after all the steroids revelations maybe Pete is not so bad
It was clumsily written at times, but overall, I was satisfied with Rose's blunt honesty. He provided interesting insight as to why he bet on baseball, what he experienced in prison, why he lied about betting on baseball and his bizarre encounters with Bud Selig. Good stuff for hardcore baseball fans and baseball historians.
Austin Davis
This book is about Pete Rose who is arguably the greatest baseball player of all time. Theirs just a problem he had gamboling problems and ocasonaly told a cuple of white lies. Its hes life story from when he was a young boy to his days as a Reds player and hes days as a manager.
Troy Kuhn
Good to hear this story from the horse's mouth even though it was about 15 years too late. Good details about how things occurred and the players in the Pete's gambling episodes. Did not compel me to sympathize with his side of the story.
Mason Wilkins
Apr 05, 2012 Mason Wilkins is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The book is right down to my level of dreading because its about sports and things i care about. Pete Rose was my dads hero growing up and now after readin ghtis book he is now my hero aswell because he did work hard for where he was.
All those years, and you think he is coming clean. But is he? What is he really saying? Semi-interesting reading, but what was the point of writing the book. I dont think much more was said than we already knew.
This was a fantastic book! I recommend it to all baseball fans, people who are both for and against Pete Rose. It is from Pete Rose's perspective and there is no other perspective like it!
This book isn't as bad as you'd think. The writing's lousy, and Pete repeats himself a lot, and seems a little insane, but you can't help but be a little sympathetic.
  • Living on the Black
  • Bunts: Curt Flood, Camden Yards, Pete Rose, and Other Reflections on Baseball
  • A Well-Paid Slave: Curt Flood's Fight for Free Agency in Professional Sports
  • Juicing the Game: Drugs, Power, and the Fight for the Soul of Major League Baseball
  • The Machine: A Hot Team, a Legendary Season, and a Heart-stopping World Series: The Story of the 1975 Cincinnati Reds
  • Season Ticket
  • Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball
  • Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big
  • The Mick
  • Cooperstown Confidential: Heroes, Rogues, and the Inside Story of the Baseball Hall of Fame
  • Willie Mays: The Life, the Legend
  • A-Rod: The Many Lives of Alex Rodriguez
  • Cobb: A Biography
  • Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain
  • Satchel: The Life and Times of an American Legend
  • Perfect I'm Not: Boomer on Beer, Brawls, Backaches, and Baseball
  • Sixty Feet, Six Inches: A Hall of Fame Pitcher & a Hall of Fame Hitter Talk About How the Game Is Played
  • Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero