Start by marking “Firefighters in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Firefighters in the Dark

Firefighters in the Dark

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  14 reviews
At night, a girl hears the sirens from the fire station near her house.
Even though it is dark outside, she knows where they are going: to a castle, to a garden, all the way to Pluto . . .

Dashka Slater and Nicoletta Ceccoli have crafted a dreamy ode to firefighters everywhere and the big, brave, spectacular feats they accomplish every day, and every night—all the world over
Published October 2nd 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Firefighters in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefighters in the Dark

Sheree
We originally borrowed this book from the library and ended up buying it for ourselves because of the beautifully illustrated drawings. It's about a little girl who hears sirens & makes up imaginative stories about how the fires get started and how the firefighters are going to put them out. The causes of the fires are whimsical (a woman in Mexico eats hot peppers and creates "fire flowers" that the firefighters have to put out), and the drawings hold the kiddos' attention. It's a bit long f ...more
Connie
This is amazing. I cannot believe I never heard of this book before!

It's clearly a bedtime story, though you can read it at any time. The focus of the book isn't on firefighters in the typical way, it's on a little girl making up bedtime stories about where the firefighters near her go every night.

The illustrations, first off, are gorgeous. I would have wanted this book for the pictures alone. At one point, the girl says that the firefighters are never scared, and are as strong as tigers, and y
Dashka
Mar 12, 2009 Dashka rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: with-msb
How thrilled I was to have Nicoletta Ceccoli illustrate this book. Isn't she amazing? I wrote this book when my son was obsessed with firefighters and have been gratified by how many other firefighter-obsessed kids have latched onto it -- one pair of twins even began calling themselves Bruce (both of them). This review is from Publisher's Weekly:
Slater and Ceccoli are ideally paired, with the incantatory rhythms of the prose mirroring the velvety surfaces and Zen-like vibe of the acrylic and pa
Shannon
Oh, I hated this book. But AJ wanted to read it at every bedtime.
Katherine Cowley
This is the first picture book I've read that makes me think "magical realism." It feels like reading Isabel Allende or Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Real facts about firefighters are mixed with imaginative journeys, and the illustrations add to the delight.
Meg
Fun, whimsical book featuring a girl who lives near a fire station and imagines fantastical scenarios that call the firefighters out in the night. I liked the adventurous main character, the racially and gender- diverse group of firefighters, and the imaginative scenarios. The ending felt kind of abrupt.
Bri
My brother's a firefighter so I have a habit of flipping through all the firefighter-themed children's books that come through the library. This one is mostly silly, but it's the perfect kind of silly. The part with the firefighters playing with bubbles in the bath was enough to make me check the book out and make my brother read it over the holidays. :)
Dolly
Oct 05, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Ethereal illustrations and fantastic, tall tale stories create a dream-like environment for this story. A creative and inventive little girl makes up a narrative for the sirens and sounds she hears outside her window. Great for bedtime reading.
Jenny
Disliked this book, kept wondering when it was going to be over so I could stop reading it to my son! Only read it once and it was back to the library!! Thought it was pretty strange.
Gail
Gentle and imaginative pictures. I thought my 2.5 year old would be scared of the fire pictures, but she wasn't. I think it's because she has no concept of fire yet.
Relyn
Aug 19, 2008 Relyn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the illustrator
ICK! What a icky book. As I read this one I found myself thinking, "How do these things get published?" Not even Ceccoli's illustrations could redeem it.
Jaimee
A little girl dreams about all the reasons fire fighters have to go out out fires! Its an imaginative story great for young adventurous readers.
Tiffany
Surprisingly imaginative prose for a children's book, and very colorful, stylized illustrations.
Becky
This is a spectacular bedtime story for boys and girls who love firefighters.
Jessica Blackwell
Jessica Blackwell marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Melanie Orr
Melanie Orr marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Carrie Charley Brown
Carrie Charley Brown marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Dashka Slater’s novel, The Wishing Box, was named one of the best books of the year by the Los Angeles Times, which called it “an impish novel, hopeful and full of humor.” She is the author of four acclaimed children's books: Baby Shoes; Firefighters in the Dark; The Sea Serpent and Me and Dangerously Ever After.

Slater is also an award-winning journalist who has written for such publications as N
More about Dashka Slater...
Dangerously Ever After The Sea Serpent and Me The Wishing Box Baby Shoes Lights, Camera, Alcatraz: Hollywood's View of an American Landmark