Start by marking “Get Up: A 12-Step Guide to Recovery for Misfits, Freaks, and Weirdos” as Want to Read:
Get Up: A 12-Step Guide to Recovery for Misfits, Freaks, and Weirdos

Get Up: A 12-Step Guide to Recovery for Misfits, Freaks, and Weirdos

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  18 reviews
As an atheist with a background in fundamentalism, Bucky Sinister was skeptical of 12-step groups when the time came for him to get sober. He was afraid of losing his artistic abilities and had big problems with the higher power concept. In spite of his hesitations, he stuck with the program and it rewarded him greatly. In Get Up, he shares the knowledge he gained on his j ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Get Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Up

Larry-bob Roberts
Nov 29, 2008 Larry-bob Roberts rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: artists of all kinds, people considering getting sober, people working on their sobriety
I am not the typical intended audience for this book, as I'm a lifelong abstainer from alcohol and other chemicals. I've been told by a sober person that I'm an abnormal normie. But in part because of my non-drinking ways, I have a lot of friends who've been through the 12-step programs, I know the lingo and can take somebody else's inventory like nobody's business. The big things that Bucky addresses are issues that a lot of people I know have with 12-step groups - atheism, being part of a grou ...more
Tatiana
Just what I needed, just when I needed it. This is book is great and not just for recovering addicts, I'd say its for anyone feeling super confused about what they're supposed to do and how. Easy to read, funny and inspiring.
M
Sep 18, 2008 M rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people in recovery
This book is fabulous, and I not just saying that because I think the author is fabulous (which I do). Bucky does a great job addressing the major land-mines and the safe paths around them for those in early recovery who are at-risk of 'thinking themselves out of the program.' I'd recommend this book to anyone in early recovery.
Saira
Hilarious and poignant, whether you are a "normie", addict, or recovering addict. Anyone who can relate addiction and recovery to both Joseph Campbell's Hero mythology, and the personality types in the A-team is someone I want as a friend.
John Marr
More fun than a pint of bourbon!
Bradley Knox
Ok, now I was born an alcoholic. Also, I have spent a lifetime struggling to stay sober. Or I’ve been dead drunk. And that’s it. There has been no middle ground, as a number of friends and family members can I'm sure attest. So AA became a force in my life very early on. As time passed, I started to sour on the entire concept of AA because of its overbearing god-consciousness, despite the prevalence of the ‘as you understand god’ rhetoric. And also because of the nauseating righteousness of a la ...more
Bethany Leah
truth- I was a little let down. I'm going to risk being mean for honesty's sake: I thought the author came off as a bit of a douche. A repetitive douche really into his schtick. And weak metaphors. An entire piece comparing different types of addicts to the roles of the A-Team (yawn).

I'll stick with reading substance abuse memoirs next time.
Alex
This is a fantastic book. I picked it outdoor out of curiosity, as you don't see too much recovery or 12 Step material from atheists. Bucky had an incredible take on what a higher power is that kind of blew my head open. I've taken his concept into work with me and it's been really useful. If you're getting sober or thinking about getting sober and aren't too sure if 12 Step will work for you, check out this book.
Ray
Nov 17, 2014 Ray rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I mean, I might recommend this to a certain brand of newcomer. But it's badly edited and organized and definitely the perspective of a straight dude bro. I like the atheist tips.
Jeannie
Very personal description of a 12 step recovery program for non-Christians. I'm not an alcoholic but I'm interested in recovery systems. This book is a good breakdown of why the steps are what they are and how to approach them as a non-Christian.
Mike
Interesting take on recovery; it re-frames the 12 Steps of AA in a way that may be useful for those who are not predisposed toward organized religion, as well as countering the reported self-pity that some may utilize to delay recovery. The author attempts to reach those who feel apart or ostracized from mainstream society by sharing his own story of alienation, addiction, and recovery. The book desires to be informational and empowering, it generally succeeds on both parts.
Mikelkpoet
I haven't started reading this book, yet, but plan to based on a friend's recommendation of it.

Sept 5 09

I started reading this book, today, Oct. 2, 2009. It is a really good book, so far, and I am almost 40 pages into it.

P. 39 "We've been there and come back. When you fall in the pit, people are supposedly to help you up. But you have to get up on your own. We'll take your arms, but you'll have to get your legs underneath you and stand again."
Kelley
Eh...some good advice, but much of it, one could figure out on one's own. Though it's helpful to see a weirdo/freak succeed in a 12-Step program for sure and have some of my own concerns justified/explained/echoed.
lola
This was actually a 12 step guide to 12 step guides tilted at people who aren't enthusiastic about some of the tenets, like loving Yahweh, but who desperately need the benefits. Good for you, Bucky!
Katlet
Hilarious. Also, one of the best 12 steps books I've read. He doesn't talk down to you, but gives a good kick in the ass where necessary. As a misfit, freak and weirdo, I could relate.
Whitney Mauldin
Finally a guy that speaks to me and doesn't tell me that I should just "Fake it till I make it" without a Higher Power. This dude helped me save my life. No shit.
Colleen
Way better and deeper than it seemed it would be. Read it if addiction is in your life, but 12 step programs put you off.
Jennafhur
Sounds right up my ally! ~ & it was!!
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Delilah Rose
Delilah Rose marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Tristy
Tristy marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Mellisa
Mellisa marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Dennis Matekenya
Dennis Matekenya marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Marsmannix
Marsmannix marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Kilo Doster
Kilo Doster marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Kristy Ford hinz
Kristy Ford hinz marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
All Blacked Out and Nowhere to Go King Of The Roadkills Whiskey & Robots (Gorsky Press Pocket Poetry) Time Bomb Snooze Alarm Still Standing: Addicts Talk About Living Sober

“Your best days are ahead of you. The movie starts when the guy gets sober and puts his life back together; it doesn't end there.” 83 likes
“We've been there and come back. When you fall in the pit, people are supposed to help you up. But you have to get up on your own. We'll take your arms, but you have to get your legs underneath you and stand.” 41 likes