Start by marking “The Hullabaloo ABC” as Want to Read:
The Hullabaloo ABC

The Hullabaloo ABC

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Aha! Boo! Cock-a-doodle-doo! It's morning on the farm, and there are sights and sounds galore. Donkeys are braying, pigs are grunting, cows are mooing-even the jays are jabbering! From clucks and cackles to rumbles and whoops, this rollicking alphabet book takes young readers on a barnyard romp that is chock-full of noisy words they will love to hear and say out loud. Beve ...more
Published April 24th 1998 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Hullabaloo ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hullabaloo ABC

Victoria Long
Beverly Cleary has such a fun title for the book, I think kids would be attracted to it. However, I would not use it to tech the alphabet. Some letters have a nice barn noise and catchy rhyme to accompany them and it works, but others could confuse the letters and words. I do not think "Aha" is a great way to learn A, however "cockadoodledoo" works better. This book is completely based on a farm, so many children may not be able to understand or connect to the book if they are unfamiliar with fa ...more
Melissa
The Hullabaloo ABC, written by one of my personal favorite children’s authors, Beverly Cleary, is a rambunctiously fun story intended to help children memorize their ABC’s. The illustrations are just as colorful and fun as the story itself. I love the sweeping brushstrokes and texture illustrator Ted Rand uses in the pictures on every page. Just by looking at the illustrations alone, a reader could follow the story and understand what is happening at any given point. One of my favorite aspects o ...more
Karen
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library today. He likes ABC books.

I expected more from this book: It was written by Beverly Cleary and illustrated by Ted Rand. I expected something amazing from this book. I was disappointed. It isn't a bad book, it is just not especially engaging. And it does feel very dated. I'll stick to Cleary's Ramona books from now on.

Kristy Sikora
Summary:
When searching for ABC books for my two year old daughter, I came across this book. I was immediately excited to read it with her because the author was one of my childhood favorites! My daughter giggled through the whole book as she explored the sites and sounds of a farm, with which she is already very familiar. We read this book three times in a row, and each time she laughed harder. She loved the illustrations, as well as did I with their classic, timeless look.

Lesson ideas:
This wou
Shannon Janik
Beverly Cleary who is more well known for her books involving Ramona, is the author of the ABC picture book called "Hullabaloo ABC". This book has a very strong rhyme scheme that would help any children learn their ABC's. The pictures are very enjoyable. However, the only thing I think I would change would be the fact that the author does not use real word for some of the letters. She uses sounds such as "Shh" or "Ugh". I just felt like there are many different words that start with the letter S ...more
Holly
Feb 01, 2012 Holly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: abc
Beverly Cleary's The Hullabaloo ABC does a good job teaching children about their ABC's. I can see parents reading this to their children before bed. Cleary goes through each letter of the alphabet, one per page. For example, Aa for ... This pattern repeats throughout the story. The words also rhyme when they can. The storyline is about two children, a boy and a girl, who are siblings. They experience all kinds of wonderful animal noises throughout the story. I can see children's happy faces a ...more
Blair Herron
ABC Books:

I loved this book especially how each letter in the alphabet made up a specific part of the story that painted the big picture of the children playing hid and go seek around a farmyard. The bright colors that were used in the drawings would really grab a child's attention as well as make it fun for them to look through. I am going to read it to my preschool class next week for my unit of harvest/fall. :)
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
LOVE the books that the kids can read an they are still learning the alphabet. They are reading, yet at the same time understanding the sight, shapes, sound and look of each letter! Something my son has been doing since he was 2. So anytime we can throw in some practice an its fun... good with us! This book did just that!
Edna
The illustrations are beautifuland the letters each have an appropriate "barn" rhyme attached to it, but the book has a feel that's "dated"; kids may not be able to either relate to it or find it very interesting (at all).
Paul  Hankins
An alphabet book from Beverly Cleary will work very nicely in our ABCs of Categorization/Classification unit in Room 407. Stumbled onto this one while looking through ABC section at our local library.
Jon Wilson
This book uses the alphabet to, once again, feature alliteration. However, Cleary also uses rhyme and onomatopoeia to help engage the reader in understanding the alphabet.
Randie
A group of children (siblings) spend the day playing and being active on the farm, the alphabet is creatively woven into their day of fun. Lots of action and sound words!
Tricia
Alphabet book, Cleary-style, quite enjoyable. Has the feel of "Dick & Jane" with 1960 original copyright. Setting for the book is a farm.
Cheryl
Original, creative - I got a headache just reading it to myself, but then I'm not a kid and face it, kids like noise!
Jennifer Ho
A good ABC book for young children and enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book.
Kim
Feb 21, 2012 Kim added it
Features: beginning sounds, rhyme, alliteration, letter shapes
Carolyn
Wonderful read-aloud!
Chrystal
fun rhymes and farm pics
Stacy
Stacy added it
Nov 14, 2014
Katy Cater
Katy Cater marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Ztyu
Ztyu marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Deidra
Deidra added it
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...
Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1) Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6) The Mouse and the Motorcycle (Ralph S. Mouse, #1) Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2) Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)