Start by marking “The Hullabaloo ABC” as Want to Read:
The Hullabaloo ABC

The Hullabaloo ABC

Aha! Boo! Cock-a-doodle-doo! It's morning on the farm, and there are sights and sounds galore. Donkeys are braying, pigs are grunting, cows are mooing-even the jays are jabbering! From clucks and cackles to rumbles and whoops, this rollicking alphabet book takes young readers on a barnyard romp that is chock-full of noisy words they will love to hear and say out loud. Beve ...more
Published April 24th 1998 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Hullabaloo ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hullabaloo ABC

Brooke Seidel
Title: The Hullabaloo ABC
Author: Beverly Clearly
Illustrator: Ted Rand
Genre: Alphabet (ABC) book
Theme(s): Learning the alphabet and what letters stand for what words
Opening line/sentence: “A for Aha! I see you.”
Brief Book Summary: Two children are running around a farm talking about all of the sounds that they are hearing. Each sound starts with a different letter in the alphabet.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Publishers Weekly - Publisher's Weekly
As its title suggests, the energy level
Sep 12, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
The Hullabaloo ABC, written by one of my personal favorite children’s authors, Beverly Cleary, is a rambunctiously fun story intended to help children memorize their ABC’s. The illustrations are just as colorful and fun as the story itself. I love the sweeping brushstrokes and texture illustrator Ted Rand uses in the pictures on every page. Just by looking at the illustrations alone, a reader could follow the story and understand what is happening at any given point. One of my favorite aspects o ...more
Sep 07, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it
The Hullabaloo ABC by Beverly Cleary is a wonderful alphabet book for children in Pre-K and Kindergarten who are learning their ABC's and would be a good read for first or second grade children who can already read. In this book each letter of the alphabet is a verb or action and rhymes which I think would go well with Language Arts in the classroom. The Hullabaloo ABC follows two children as they run around a farm finding things to see, smell, touch, hear, and taste.
Victoria Long
Feb 04, 2014 Victoria Long rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Beverly Cleary has such a fun title for the book, I think kids would be attracted to it. However, I would not use it to tech the alphabet. Some letters have a nice barn noise and catchy rhyme to accompany them and it works, but others could confuse the letters and words. I do not think "Aha" is a great way to learn A, however "cockadoodledoo" works better. This book is completely based on a farm, so many children may not be able to understand or connect to the book if they are unfamiliar with fa ...more
Shannon Janik
Oct 07, 2012 Shannon Janik rated it really liked it
Beverly Cleary who is more well known for her books involving Ramona, is the author of the ABC picture book called "Hullabaloo ABC". This book has a very strong rhyme scheme that would help any children learn their ABC's. The pictures are very enjoyable. However, the only thing I think I would change would be the fact that the author does not use real word for some of the letters. She uses sounds such as "Shh" or "Ugh". I just felt like there are many different words that start with the letter S ...more
Kristy Sikora
Nov 07, 2010 Kristy Sikora rated it liked it
Shelves: abc
When searching for ABC books for my two year old daughter, I came across this book. I was immediately excited to read it with her because the author was one of my childhood favorites! My daughter giggled through the whole book as she explored the sites and sounds of a farm, with which she is already very familiar. We read this book three times in a row, and each time she laughed harder. She loved the illustrations, as well as did I with their classic, timeless look.

Lesson ideas:
This wou
Feb 01, 2012 Holly rated it liked it
Shelves: abc
Beverly Cleary's The Hullabaloo ABC does a good job teaching children about their ABC's. I can see parents reading this to their children before bed. Cleary goes through each letter of the alphabet, one per page. For example, Aa for ... This pattern repeats throughout the story. The words also rhyme when they can. The storyline is about two children, a boy and a girl, who are siblings. They experience all kinds of wonderful animal noises throughout the story. I can see children's happy faces a ...more
Blair Herron
Nov 28, 2011 Blair Herron rated it it was amazing
ABC Books:

I loved this book especially how each letter in the alphabet made up a specific part of the story that painted the big picture of the children playing hid and go seek around a farmyard. The bright colors that were used in the drawings would really grab a child's attention as well as make it fun for them to look through. I am going to read it to my preschool class next week for my unit of harvest/fall. :)
Apr 01, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library today. He likes ABC books.

I expected more from this book: It was written by Beverly Cleary and illustrated by Ted Rand. I expected something amazing from this book. I was disappointed. It isn't a bad book, it is just not especially engaging. And it does feel very dated. I'll stick to Cleary's Ramona books from now on.

Amanda_DJ n' Zac
LOVE the books that the kids can read an they are still learning the alphabet. They are reading, yet at the same time understanding the sight, shapes, sound and look of each letter! Something my son has been doing since he was 2. So anytime we can throw in some practice an its fun... good with us! This book did just that!
Feb 05, 2015 Amber rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this picture book. I found the text very random. I also found many of the words unrelated to children. For instance, Cleary used the word echo for e, inhale for i, and exclaim for x. I did not believe these were good choices for an ABC book. The illustration was okay, but it was nothing special to me.
Paul  Hankins
An alphabet book from Beverly Cleary will work very nicely in our ABCs of Categorization/Classification unit in Room 407. Stumbled onto this one while looking through ABC section at our local library.
Aug 14, 2009 Edna rated it it was ok
The illustrations are beautifuland the letters each have an appropriate "barn" rhyme attached to it, but the book has a feel that's "dated"; kids may not be able to either relate to it or find it very interesting (at all).
May 01, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
Alphabet book, Cleary-style, quite enjoyable. Has the feel of "Dick & Jane" with 1960 original copyright. Setting for the book is a farm.
Jon Wilson
May 20, 2013 Jon Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: word-play
This book uses the alphabet to, once again, feature alliteration. However, Cleary also uses rhyme and onomatopoeia to help engage the reader in understanding the alphabet.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A group of children (siblings) spend the day playing and being active on the farm, the alphabet is creatively woven into their day of fun. Lots of action and sound words!
Cana rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2010
Jackie rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2008
Amy Hughes
Amy Hughes rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Jared Leaman
Jared Leaman rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2013
Jeanne rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Apr 18, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Wonderful jumping off point for exposing younger children to the world of Beverly Cleary!
Heather rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Steven rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2010
Lorie rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2008
Christine rated it liked it
May 17, 2013
Emerson rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2014
Madeline Silvas
Madeline Silvas rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...