Start by marking “Through the wall” as Want to Read:
Through the wall

Through the wall (Miss Silver #19)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Lying lifeless at the bottom of a cliff, Helen Adrian made a ghastly sight. The clues suggested it was no accident. But would murder such an enchanting young woman? The prime suspects were a ne'er-do-well actor and a moody musician, but the evidence was exceedingly scant. With a murderer still on the loose, the authorities were lucky indeed that Maud Silver was there to he ...more
paperback, 230 pages
Published August 1st 1982 by Bantam Books (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Through the wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the wall

Sally
Number 19 out of 32 Miss Silver mysteries, this one has a rather unique setting of a house with duplicate wings, joined together by a door on each level of the house that is locked on one side and bolted on the other (a little like those doors in hotels/motels which can be opened if two rooms are to be used as a suite). Once again Patricia Wentworth has created characters that you like and characters that you don't like. Blackmail comes into this one, as it does in many in this series, but the w ...more
Starry
If you enjoy reading mystery novels of the "cozy" genre, like those by Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh, you'll love this book. But to me, this novel, published in 1950, exemplifies everything I dislike about the cozy genre.

Things I dislike about the cozy genre of mystery novels (with apologies to the many people who enjoy these books):

1. It's actually a romance novel -- though a very prim romance novel -- disguised as a mystery. (Note: if my library copy had come with the cover shown above, I p
Joy
Marian was barely making it through life, but her sense of responsibility recommended her to an unknown uncle who left her his fortune. He also left her his malicious, resentful relatives. Marian and her sister find themselves living cheek-by-jowl with at least one murderer. The setting of THROUGH THE WALL reminded me of a cross between OUT OF THE PAST and LADIES' BANE, but a very different jumble of cast members.
Grey853
I'm not sure why, but this is the first of the Silver novels I've read. It won't be my last. I found the characters quite engaging and well-drawn.

It was odd though that Maud Silver didn't show up until chapter 9 and wasn't seen again until 13. It was a very classical whodunit, with lots of characters with motives, and Maud Silver showing up to find out who's the real culprit.
Bronwen Stair
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes light english mysteries. The Miss Silver mysteries are in my home collection, and whenever I am feeling down I find her stories to be a help. Even though I may know "who done it" I enjoy her characters. In this book a poor young woman suddenly inherits a home and a fortune and a pack of jealous relatives.
CLM
When Marian unexpectedly comes into an inheritance and moves into the home of her recently deceased uncle, she find that danger awaits her - perhaps from one of her newly found relatives. Luckily, she has made a new friend who seems to be trustworthy, a writer named Richard Cunningham and he asks Miss Silver to get involved.
Denise
Dec 11, 2012 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: Deidre
Shelves: mystery
This is the 6th or 7th of the Miss Silver series that I have read, and the first where I couldn't guess who-done-it! Her writing style is drifting away from Agatha Christy (mystery mystery) to more of a Victoria Holt style (gothic mystery).
Theresa
A young woman inherits a home and a family that she never knew from an uncle she had never met. With that family came a mystery that only Miss Silver could solve. Another great mystery from Wentworth. One you can cozy up with and enjoy.
Elizabeth
Well, contrary to the cover's apparent representation, this was a very quick mystery with very little male/female relationship focus. Along the lines of Agatha Christie, only not quite as interesting or unexpected. Enjoyed though!
Ellie
i'm reading all of wentworth's 50 or so mysteries; many are from various libraries. there is a likeable crime-solver, usually a romance, and a surprise perpetrator
Carol
A train crash starts a chain of events that leads to murder and attempted murder. This one had more of Miss Silver being in the action which was good.
Pat
Oct 31, 2012 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
A nice mystery. I love the little details throughout the story, such as a bumblebee flying in the window then out again.
I liked this one better than the first one of her books I read. A good mystery after the manner of Agatha Christie.
Elizabeth S
Classic Wentworth. Not worth doing a review because most of her books are alike. Like one, like them all.
Darcy
Awesome Miss Silver mystery with a plot and main character to enjoy.
Jessica
Two lovely romances running through this one. Beautiful ending.
Rachel Piper
One of my favorite Wentworths so far.
Stephanie Herron
Stephanie Herron marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Death in Kenya
  • Last Ditch (Roderick Alleyn, #29)
  • The China Governess (Albert Campion Mystery #17)
  • The Night She Died
  • The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • The Cipher Garden (Lake District Mystery #2)
  • The Breaking Point
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...
Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1) Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16) The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2) Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29) The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver, #15)