Start by marking “Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People” as Want to Read:
Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People

Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Harriet Tubman was a runaway slave from Maryland who became known as the "Moses of her people." Over the course of 10 years, and at great personal risk, she led hundreds of slaves to freedom along the Underground Railroad, a secret network of safe houses where runaway slaves could stay on their journey north to freedom. She later became a leader in the abolitionist movemen ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Citadel (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Harriet Tubman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harriet Tubman

Eric
This is a biography written during the life of Harriet Tubman and updated with a second edition describing more of her life. Written with wonder and awe about this courageous heroine of the Civil War and beyond to Woman sufrage. Filled with actual photos and letters written to her and about her. A real gem of literature.

Dionne
"Behold here, in the little negro girl, the future deliverer of hundreds of her people; the spy and scout of the Union armies; the devoted hospital nurse; the protector of hunted fugitives; the eloquent speaker in public meetings; the cunning eluder of pursuing man-hunters; the heaven guided pioneer through dangers seen and unseen; in short, as she has well been called, 'The Moses of her People.'"--pg. 14

I have always been amazed by Harriet Tubman. This book, written while Harriet was still aliv
Gretchen
There should be a National Holiday named for Harriet Tubman.
Astrid
So far I like this biography but of course reading the details of the cruelty inflicted on slaves is difficult. She was a strong woman though.

60% into the book and it's not quite what I expected. I wanted a book that gave more details into her everyday life and the specifics of her journeys. Most of the book was difficult to understand when they used used Harriets' words but I figured it out. What I like most about this book is the continued validity that is given to her faith. Everyone that spo
Andrew
Not a bad book at all and as written whilst Harriet Tubman was still alive an interesting view given by friends and contemparies,I get a feeling better books with greater research have been written since as the book is kind of light with no real interest in sources.
However it's an interesting read and tells the tale of a formidable figure,Harriet uses her faith as the guide by which she accomplishes great things and is great to read of faith used as a positive driving force as to often these day
Jacquelyn
After reading The Book of Negroes, I got interested in learning more about Harriet Tubman, even though her life was quite different from that of Oliver's fictional character. While many books have been written about Tubman, I found this to be particularly compelling. It was written by a friend of Tubman, in an effort to raise money to finance a home for elderly ex-slaves in New York. Bradford wrote this in the 1800s, and reflects the language, perceptions and views that were common at the time. ...more
Kathy
"Farewell, ole Marster, don't think hard of me,
I'm going on to Canada, where all de slave are free."

What a remarkable woman! I need to find a better biography, however, one that is written more chronologically and in more detail about her experiences. Just as the author gets Harriet safe into the North, she lapses into generalities, and I have no idea who helped her or how she established herself there. This book does describe several of Harriet's rescues--she personally led about 300 men, women
Pamela (slytherpuff)
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

I got this book for free on Amazon and was excited to read it. I did a book report on Harriet Tubman when I was in fifth grade, and I've admired her ever since.

This book, however, focused more on her religion than her acts of daring and bravery. At one point, the author explicitly skipped over years of Tubman's life after slavery by saying that those were hard years and needn't be discussed. That was a shame, since I was interested in those years!

I gave
Onna
Seemed like it was written by an amateur, a little flowery in language from time to time, but considering it was written back in the late 1800's it was pretty good. Some stories were included that I hadn't heard before. I got a kick out of some of the racist comments that the author made obviously without knowing it. Times have, thankfully, changed tremendously since Mrs. Tubman's time. I think she'd be rather pleased with things now.
Cherie
Harriet Tubman was an amazing person. This book is good for the entire library.
Barbara

A nonfiction book about such an important woman should do more. It does cover details of what she did to help many slaves escape to freedom -- in Canada, because the North was sending them back (just FYI). I read this book and kept expecting more . . . It is probably a good book to have in high schools for the students with reading difficulties.
Bobbie Mission Viejo
A remarkable woman in every sense of the word. A heroine to hundreds of people whom she led to safety from the grips of slavery. Embarking on treacherous journeys with the lives of her fellow slaves in her hands she led them to freedom by her courage, her wits, and profound belief that God helped every step of the way.
Shari
I have always thought of Harriet as a Hero. She worked hard at getting the goal that she set finished. She didn't let anyone stop her for long. I think that as the trials that she went through she was a strong woman. I really enjoy reading about her and the other slaves that made the goals that they set for themselves.
Andrea
The book was interesting, but not the easiest read due to the format. It seemed like a lot of vignettes offering their perspective of various events. Some were short letters that corroborated Tubman's accounts, but didn't offer much. The parts that included quotes from her perspective were interesting, though.
Michelle Wegner
Astounded at the part Harriet Tubman played not only in the freedom of hundreds of slaves, but the influence she held over men in government and leadership in our nation. Loved this book
Jan
Very interesting - especially all the things I thought I knew but didn't! Written by a contemporary while HT was still living, so the language is a little old fashioned. Amazing woman!!!
Rose
I gave this book 4 stars as a period piece. If you want a more detailed biography look elsewhere. It's also worthy as it was written while Harriet Tubman was alive.
John
Controversial and oft-criticized biography of Harriet Tubman, but still one of the most important sources of information about the life of this important figure.
Seena
I liked this book so much. I had heard of Harriet but knew nothing about her life. She was an example of courage under the saddest of circumstances.
Evelyn
I found the book to be informative filling in information about the underground railway and Harriet Tubman. I only rated it a 3 because of the readablity.
Merc
The information gathered from this book is excellent. the way the book is written (outside if the letters) isn't. the organization is also off.
Kerry
I liked this book but was hard to follow and seemed to jump around. I would have liked to have read about how she helped slaves escape.
Sara
Such an important woman - so courageous. I wished this book was longer, and got into more of the actual rescues she did.
Gaye Sougstad
A very different format but enjoyed reading about this remarkable woman. Made me want to learn more about her.
Juliemae
Very disjointed. I found this difficult to read. However, I wish I could have read more about this amazing woman.
Brenton
Someone needs to write a good biography of Harriet Tubman. This haphazard account doesn't do her justice.
Susanna
Really great read... think I pulled this free from the Gutenberg Project. I recommend it!
Kim
Collection of letters and stories of Ms. Tubman from the 19th and early 20th century. Inspiring.
Jeff Whittum
Her story is worth a much better rating, but the book itself just didn't do it justice.
John Price
An enjoyable book. I would recommend for those interested in the Civil War.
  • A Narrative of the Life of Mrs. Mary Jemison
  • Farm Girl
  • Life and Death at Hoover Dam
  • Healing, Romance & Revolution: Letters from a Young American Nurse in 1926 China
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: Young Pioneer (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Elsie: Adventures of an Arizona Schoolteacher 1913-1916
  • Bound for Canaan: The Epic Story of the Underground Railroad, America's First Civil Rights Movement
  • Cleopatra
  • I'm Listening With a Broken Ear
  • Touching America's History: From the Pequot War Through WWII
  • Goodbye Junie Moon
  • The Adventures of Bindi Girl: Diving Deep Into the Heart of India
  • Where the Cherry Tree Grew: The Story of Ferry Farm, George Washington's Boyhood Home
  • Treasures of Tutankhamun: National Gallery of Art, Field Museum of Natural History & the University of Chicago, New Orleans Museum of Art
Educated at St. Mary’s Convent, Shaftesbury Dorset, where she won a State Scholarship and at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, where she won a College Scholarship in History, Sarah Bradford is an historian and biographer who has travelled extensively, living in the West Indies, Portugal and Italy. She speaks four languages which have been invaluable in her research for her various books, particularly Th ...more
More about Sarah Bradford...
Lucrezia Borgia: Life, Love, and Death in Renaissance Italy America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Diana The Reluctant King: The Life and Reign of George VI, 1895-1952 Elizabeth