Start by marking “Batman: Collected Legends of the Dark Knight” as Want to Read:
Batman: Collected Legends of the Dark Knight

Batman: Collected Legends of the Dark Knight (Legends of the Dark Knight #7)

Trade paperback.
Published May 1st 1994 by Dc Comics (first published March 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Mike
Feb 10, 2017 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
I've been a fan of the Batman for a while, with a scattered collection my youth and some version of "Best of Batman" before the movies ever came out. Long before the decision that there was a "Modern Batman" following Frank Miller's Batman: Year One.
So I "really like" when Batman gets back to his roots, as he does here in Batman: Collected Legends of the Dark Knight. There are three stories, starting with "Blades", a brilliant and temporary reinvention of The Cavalier. There follows a nod to the
Mizuki
Jul 13, 2017 Mizuki rated it really liked it

And most of all would I flee from the cruel madness of love
The honey of poison-flowers and all the measureless ill

Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1955)

Three short stories about Batman and villains. With writers like Alan Grant and illustrators like Tim Sale and Co. At first I didn't expect to enjoy this collection, but I warmed up to it later.

Here is what we get:

(1) Blades

Gotham has a new champion to fight crime! But is this new hero as righteous and heroic as he appears to be?

Basically this story is a
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
"Blades" by James Robinson still remains one of my favorite Batman stories ever. While other writers often fall into the trap of portraying Batman as so intelligent and infallible that he seems almost supernatural (cough Grant Morrison cough), this story reminds us that Batman is all-too-human, and he is a lot more sympathetic because of it. A powerful, emotional tale featuring a disillusioned knight and a tragic villain.

"Hothouse" by John Francis Moore is a fun Poison Ivy story. Hothouse doesn'
William Thomas
Oct 25, 2012 William Thomas rated it liked it
James Robinson and John Francis Moore hit it out of the park with their respective stories. Unfortunately, Alan Grant used his opportunity to write a- ugh- Bat-mite arc. Robinson and Moore did beautiful work crafting short, to-the-point, pulpy stories, and their artists were equally fantastic (Tim Sale and P Craig Russell). Definitely worth checking out of the library for the read. Only worth buying as single back issues.
Travis McClain
Nov 03, 2011 Travis McClain rated it really liked it
I actually own the original issues rather than this collected edition. "Blades" (Legends of the Dark Knight #32-34) is a fascinating look at two different aspects of Bruce Wayne: the obsessed Batman, and the traumatized orphan nostalgic for his youth before his parents were taken from him. The manhunt for "Mr. Lime," preying on the elderly of Gotham, is intriguing but it's really the main plot involving the flamboyant swashbuckler, The Cavalier, that makes "Blade" so fun to read.

"Legend of the D
Ronnie Jones
Jul 02, 2017 Ronnie Jones rated it really liked it
Batman: Collected Legends of the Dark Knight is a great value for money collection of 1 decent, 1 silly and 1 great short stories. Get it if you’re interested in Bruce’s early days as Batman and want to know what he was like before he was always right. If you’re a fan of the new stuff and don’t want to look at dated art however, this isn’t for you.

Score : 4/5

Read the full review here
JB
Jul 02, 2014 JB rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-dc-collection
Batman Blades is one of my favorite Batman stories! Tim Sale's art is great as usual.
I loved the character of the Cavalier. A Zorro-esque hero/anti-hero.
I can't recommend this story enough, it's worth a read, check it out!

Legends of the Dark Mite is a goofy story, a little trippy.

Hothouse was a good Poison Ivy story. Is she reformed or isn't she? That's the question throughout the story.

This trade paperback is worth getting just for the Blades story.
I found myself rooting for the Cavalier the ho
Jdetrick
The highlight of this volume is undoubtedly the art, which is gorgeous. Tim Sale and P. Craig Russell are always worth your time. Unfortunately, the stories which accompany the art, while perfectly solid, aren't anything remarkable. It's a very solid Batman collection, but it never rises above that.
Andrea
Jan 07, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Blades is the best of the 3 by far. The other two are okay. They are attempting to document a descent into madness, but feel incomplete and under developed. Blades is exceptional though. It is the best of what comic books/ graphic novels can be.
J
Nov 22, 2015 J rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
An odd little collection of short runs of storyline.
Chris
Sep 01, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Worth reading.
Blair Nelson
Blair Nelson rated it really liked it
May 01, 2015
A.S.
A.S. rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Ed Walker
Ed Walker rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2017
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2011
Gil Smith
Gil Smith rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Hikmat Kabir
Hikmat Kabir rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Manas Kanodia
Manas Kanodia rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Proinsias
Proinsias rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2017
Leander Linnhoff
Leander Linnhoff rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2012
Jared
Jared rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2009
Angelpoppet
Angelpoppet rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2011
Chas
Chas rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2011
Wayne
Wayne rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2010
Alex McFarland
Alex McFarland rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2016
Waylon
Waylon rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2011
Lukasz
Lukasz rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Stephen Theaker
Stephen Theaker rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2008
  • Batman: The Many Deaths of the Batman
  • Batman: Sword of Azrael
  • Batman: Fortunate Son
  • Batman: Blind Justice
James Robinson is a British writer, best known for his work in comic books and screenplays. He is well-known for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic book continuity, especially regarding the Golden Age of comic books. His earliest comic book work came in the late 1980s, but he became best known for his revitalization of the character Starman for DC comics in the 1990s. In addition, he has written ...more
More about James Robinson...

Legends of the Dark Knight (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Batman International
  • Batman: Sanctum (Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #54)
  • Robin: The Teen Wonder