Start by marking “Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)

Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery #3)

Quilt shop owner Dewey Pellicano intends to mix business with pleasure at the Sewing-by-the-Sea Symposium in Asilomar, California. But her plan is ruined by Mercedes Madsen, the militant conference organizer who acts more like a dictator than a director. Now tangled up in a bundle of trouble, Dewey is facing a notorious "ghost," a mysterious missing woman, a stolen ...more
Published April 8th 2009 by Midnight Ink (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ocean Waves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ocean Waves

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
441st out of 1,466 books — 1,538 voters
Fool's Puzzle by Earlene FowlerPlagued By Quilt by Molly MacRaeKansas Troubles by Earlene FowlerA Quilt for Christmas by Sandra DallasState Fair by Earlene Fowler
Sunshine & Shadow: Quilt Mysteries
41st out of 47 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

JayeL
Nov 04, 2016 JayeL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
Mary-Frances
Dec 30, 2011 Mary-Frances rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the main character of this series, probably because I'm a bit of a geek myself. The rest of the quilting world seems fairly accurately portrayed! I look forward to more!
LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Dewey Pellicano, owner of QP (Quilter Paradiso) is in just a little over her head. In her quest to learn more about quilting since her mother left her a quilt shop she decides to attend the Sewing-By-The-Sea Symposium in Asilomar, California. Everyone there has much more quilting experience than Dewey and the conference organizer is more of a dictator than a director. She collects their cell phones and car keys, only allows the public phone to be available from 7-9 p.m., doesn’t allow anyone ...more
Susan
Ocean Waves is the third book in the Quilting Mystery series by Terri Thayer, set in modern-day San Jose CA. Software engineer Dewey Pellicano inherited her mother's quilt shop, Quilter Paradiso. The series will appeal to quilters who also like cozies. First in the series: Wild Goose Chase, second: Old Maid's Puzzle.

To stimulate her quilting creativity and get ideas for the shop, Dewey enrolls in the Legendary Quilts seminar at Sewing-by-the-Sea quilt retreat in Asilomar. As in the previous two
Kayeb
Nov 23, 2009 Kayeb rated it liked it
Not so quilty, not top notch mystery, but fun enough that I enjoyed it. Dewey's development over the days in putting together her quilt is a quiet undertone, and is evocative of what has kept people quilting...that we find in our work something that speaks to us about life.

Dewey Pellicano is planning to mix a little business with pleasure at the Sewing-by-the-Sea Symposium in Asilomar, California. When not minding her shop at the quilting conference, she'll be enjoying the salty sea air. Then he
Elizabeth
This is the third installment in Thayer's series taking place in Quilters Paridiso. Near the end of the second book, Dewey Pellicano fires her impossible to work with sister in law Kym. This was the plot line I really wanted to see play out in this book. And while that situation doesn't get "wrapped up" by any means, Thayer does advance the plot. And I'm still interested.

The plot line of "Ocean Waves" takes place during a week long quilting seminar. Dewey witnesses a suicide, valuable antiques a
❂ Jennifer
May 05, 2013 ❂ Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
2.5 stars. While I've enjoyed this series up to this point, this book was a chore to get through with an ending I didn't *at all* appreciate. I'm not a fan of books that take place "on location" and this one proved the rule for me. A whole cast of characters that aren't worth investing time in getting to know, since they won't be around for the next book, and all the normal characters you've gotten to know and like are absent. The story got more interesting towards the end, but author ruined it ...more
Juliezs
Sep 18, 2009 Juliezs rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
A very fun, thoroughly entertaining read, with a great unexpected ending. I don't read a whole lot of mysteries, so I'm always pleased when an ending can surprise me. Loved the setting, makes me want to go to Asilomar even more, for quilting or just for a visit.
Dewey Pellicano is a character that I wish I knew in real life, and several of the others are ones that I'm seriously glad to NOT know in real life. As Dewey's story continues I'm really interested in what will come next in her life.
Pam
Jan 17, 2013 Pam rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This was not a bad book in fact I enjoyed it some, but the author just did not develop the characters sufficiently especially the main character Dewey. I never felt that I really understood Dewey's background, her life or personality. (I admit I did not start with book one, but that should not be necessary.) I disliked her adversarial relationship with her sister-in-law Kym and I thought her relationship with Buster read more like a romance than a cozy mystery. The mystery part of the story line ...more
Jane
Feb 16, 2010 Jane rated it it was ok
I found myself more interested in the quilting classes described in the story than the mystery itself. But that's just me. This is the first Quilting Mystery I've read, maybe if I'd read the other Dewey Pellicano books first I would have felt more of a connection with her. It was an OK mystery and I did get some ideas for a quilting project.
Peggy Albert
Oct 01, 2011 Peggy Albert rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Peggy by: Joan Spencer
Shelves: fiction
This quilt mystery is a new adventure for me, as I have not been a mystery reader previously. However, that may change as I really enjoyed this book. I could barely put it down and read in only a few hours. Nicely woven plot with interesting characters and a beautifully detailed setting. Should be an interesting read for both quilters and non-quilters alike.
Sandy H
In the grand scheme of cozy mysteries, especially those that take place in a quilt shop (it's own sub-genre), this series is halfway decent. Not my favorite, but mostly enjoyable. I didn't like this volume in the series quite as much as earlier ones--the characters all seemed too caricatured. Still n' all, it was a decent vacation read and I'm about to start the next one in the series.
Mary Shipman
Jan 31, 2013 Mary Shipman rated it really liked it
Here are some questions for you:
Do you like mystery?
Do you like quilts and quilting?
Do you like beaches?
How about California?

If you answered any of these questions with a 'yes', you might want to take a little break for Sewing-by-the-sea at Asilomar. A week long adventure interupted by murder, theft and a surprising secret.

Good work Terri Thayer, from me one word - "MORE"!

Gretchen
Apr 15, 2009 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-stuff
This book is exceptionally fun to read because it's about our local area. I can relate to some of the characters, but I won't mention which ones...Terri, I especially like the Saddlerack comment. We weren't line dancing, but Bo Bice was awesome! I didn't see the end coming. My only negative comment would be that the editors need to proof it better.
Corky
May 31, 2010 Corky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
This is the third in a series of Dewey Pellicano, quilt store owner and amateur sleuth. This time, she has decided since she is keeping her mother's quilt shop, she really should learn something about quilting. To achieve this she signs up for a week long set of classes by famous teachers. One of whom is sure to wind up dead putting Dewey on the case.
Marcie Mathis
May 01, 2016 Marcie Mathis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best in Series So Far

I have read the books in this series in order, and enjoyed this one (the third) the most so far. I only have the fourth one left and wish there were more to look forward to. I recommend this to anyone who likes light hearted mysteries, and especially to those who are quilters.
Melodie
Aug 13, 2010 Melodie rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2010
I really liked the other 2 books in this series. This one, not so much. There was a completely different feel to it from the others and it was just kind of off. Don't think there's going to be more of these. Maybe that's a good thing.
Lisa Bork
Dec 21, 2009 Lisa Bork rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Dewey Pellicano travels to a quilting conference in Asilomar, CA only to witness a woman disappear off a cliff into the ocean. Dewey believes she may have committed suicide after years of abuse at the hands of her husband but when a murder follows, Dewey probes deeper and finds a killer.
Cristina
Jul 07, 2014 Cristina rated it really liked it
I liked this Dewey Quilting Mystery more than the last as it had a bit more mystery in it. Still a nice easy read, but one that kept you guessing until the end. I also like how we met another brother of Dewey's.
Bgpriley
Oct 08, 2014 Bgpriley rated it it was ok
Not as good as the first two. The book didn't flow right, and some of the pieces didn't make sense.
Babs
Nov 17, 2009 Babs rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
I really enjoyed this 2nd book in the series. There were a few slow spots but over all seeing Dewey getting into trouble again and learning more about her older brother was fun.
Amy
Aug 19, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok
This is the 3rd book in the series and it was my least favorite. It took place away from the shop and the other characters weren't involved, which is what I liked about the previous books.
Bonnie Drummond
Jan 06, 2016 Bonnie Drummond rated it it was amazing
One of the second best Quilt Mystery's I've read so far. Quilting by the Sea and trying to solve a murder would take precise angles and lines to find out who the killer is and what dose he want.
Rolanda
Rolanda rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2012
MVB
MVB rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
Kerry
Kerry rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2012
J
J rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2012
Robyn
Robyn rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Sari Lynn
Sari Lynn rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2012
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • Murder Grins and Bears It (Gertie Johnson #2)
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Foul Play at the PTA  (Beth Kennedy #2)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (Talk Radio Mystery #3)
  • Elvis and the Grateful Dead (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #2)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Stealing with Style (Sterling Glass, #1)
  • Short Squeeze
  • Killer Keepsakes (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4)
  • The Cracked Pot (Clay and Crime, #2)
  • Quilt as Desired (Harriet Truman / Loose Threads Mystery #1)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Poison Pen (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #1)
  • Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #2)
I am the author of seven mysteries. Four quilting mysteries: WILD GOOSE CHASE, OLD MAID'S PUZZLE, OCEAN WAVES, MONKEY WRENCH.

I am a quilter, have been for more than 20 years. I love fabric and reading and writing mysteries.
More about Terri Thayer...

A Quilting Mystery (4 books)
  • Wild Goose Chase (A Quilting Mystery, #1)
  • Old Maid's Puzzle (A Quilting Mystery, #2)
  • Monkey Wrench