Start by marking “Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1

Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1 (Her Majesty's Dog #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,632 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Amane's not like other girls. With her ice queen demeanor and naivete, she's become quite the misfit on campus. Even more unusual is her relationship with fellow transfer student Hyoue Inugami, the hottest guy in school. But the truth is that Amane is a powerful psychic and Hyoue is her guardian demon-dog whose powers are fueled by her kiss.
Published October 1st 2005 by Go Comi (first published October 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1

Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
70th out of 313 books — 552 voters
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSailor Moon, #1 by Naoko Takeuchi
Favorite Shoujo Manga
217th out of 658 books — 1,500 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy M.
Sep 14, 2010 Amy M. rated it really liked it
A cute series with a horror slant. I really like the female protagonist! She is kind and clueless but without being spineless. Plus I love that she still can't figure out how to use "modern" technology!
Zala
Apr 23, 2016 Zala rated it it was ok
Shelves: sampled
Read up to Chapter 21

The manga started out very promising: a strong female lead; an interesting concept of koma-oni and their masters, who use kotodama*; a flamboyant and arrogant, but also caring male lead, and much more.

But the story becomes predictable and cliched very soon, and the unnecessary drama overshadows its interesting qualities. However, the thing that really ruined everything was the romance—or to be more precise, Hyoue. At first he's a very welcome change from the usual manga love
Shazza Maddog
Oct 16, 2015 Shazza Maddog rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, owned-books
Last night I couldn't take reading about zombies so I picked up a book from the stack of "things I ought to put on shelves when I get a chance". It's been a few years since I've read Her Majesty's Dog but that doesn't hurt it any.

Amane is a naive teenage girl from the countryside, attending a typical Japanese school for the first time. The other exchange student, a handsome boy named Hyoue, seems to really like her, to the point that they make out in public (just not done in Japanese high school
Дени Проданова
Отлагах тази манга толкова време, заради някакъв странен предразсъдък който ми се беше загнездил в главата от немай къде. Къде ми е бил акъла? Страхотна е! Макар и главната героиня да изглежда малко странно, то арта е приличен. Пък и при такава добра история, арта, бих казала, остава на заден план.
ChaoticNight
May 05, 2014 ChaoticNight rated it it was ok
Arminzerella
Starbubbles
Aug 17, 2012 Starbubbles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This series was soo good! My expectations were blown away, or more like to smithereens. I was expecting a "meh" story similar to Beast Master, only to read the first chapter and have it not narrated by either of the main characters. Sure, she's a key player, but not one typically telling the story. That set the tone for an incredible story filled with twists, turns, friendship, love, and most importantly, self-discovery. I believe that last part is what separates any story for an okay, or even g ...more
Curse of the Bibliophile
This was a really cute and interesting story that I highly enjoyed.
The art was ok, but the characters were what really kept me interested. I was able to relate to a lot of the characters from this story and even though this has a lot of paranormal aspects to it I think it really shows a lot of the things that teenagers go through, especially in high school.

I also liked the fact that whenever it started to get a bit too serious the Mangaka (sorry if I spelled that wrong) always found a way to t
EruditeBirdy
Mar 28, 2016 EruditeBirdy rated it really liked it
Standard Oni falls for a human girl, only she is no weakling.
Amane Kamori is a Manatsukai/a medium, who uses kotodama/names to control others.
The Oni is Hyoue Inugami, a Koma-Oni, a guardian demon, or so we think.

Possibly he is more than this.
I'm looking forward to reading more about them.
Hannah
Sep 02, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy, manga
Series Review: He Majesty's Dog is a unique and entertaining manga that is well worth the read. It is funny and lighthearted while keeping a series plot. The characters are amazing as they each have very different personalities that work wonderful together. I definitely recommend giving this manga a try!
Nicole
Nov 21, 2011 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, supernatural
This one was just okay. Kind of strange plot, and with pretty flat characters. Basically, our young teenage heroine Amane has been raised in a village noted for its powerful psychics. She can see ghosts and control spirits by learning their true names and using the power of her words to command them and help them find peace. She leaves her village to see more of the world, and attends a regular high school accompanied by her trusty demon, Hyoue. Hyoue has a contract of sorts with Amane. She allo ...more
Devania Annesya
Nov 11, 2014 Devania Annesya rated it liked it
nilai plusnya dari komik ini, bukan cuma soal cinta cintaan, tp jg mengangkat tema bullying dan kesetiaan anjing kepada majikan. komedinya belum dapat sayangnya.
Hannah
May 15, 2010 Hannah rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Takeuchi Mick's art is quite pretty. Hyoue is drawn particularly well, and the slave/master relationship mixed with romantic tension between Hyoue and Amane is central to Her Majesty's Dog, and also one of my favourite elements.

Hyoue's such a conflicting character; he clearly loves Amane deeply, but she coldly maintains a distance between them and makes his status as her demon protector and not quite her equal, quite painfully clear. This seems to be Amane's way of protecting herself, and Hyoue
Alice
Jan 01, 2011 Alice rated it really liked it
At first I was skeptical about the art and story by just looking at the covers. I'm glad I gave it a chance though since it turned out to be a good first volume. Inside the art is better than what's on the front cover, so I was pleasantly surprised. Another thing I really enjoyed is how each chapter is a little story/situation that the characters get into. I know not all manga's are like that, but it fits really well for this series.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys magic, legen
Grace
Apr 19, 2016 Grace rated it really liked it
It's a very good start to a series.
Jami Lowe
Aug 25, 2014 Jami Lowe rated it really liked it
Liked the whole series very much!
Aiste Elena Cepuleviciute
Jul 23, 2014 Aiste Elena Cepuleviciute rated it really liked it
So funny!!!
Karla
Apr 01, 2008 Karla rated it liked it
Recommends it for: manga fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
A cute, rather predictable shoujo manga. It was funny, and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't one of the best I have read. Each episode seems to stand alone so there isn't a big story arc. Good if you want to pick up a volume out of order - if the following volumes are the same as the first. Not like some manga series that go on for 20+ volumes see Fruits Basket without resolving the story!!! Argghhhhh!!!
Victoria Newman
Oct 06, 2015 Victoria Newman rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read
Kimikimi
Feb 14, 2015 Kimikimi rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Looks like a paranormal romance with an interesting enough premise. Powerful psychic girl and her physically powerful demon isn't exactly new and it's done better in other places but I liked this one enough that I'll try to pick up the next few.
Tawnie
Aug 06, 2016 Tawnie rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-romance
While I enjoy the series, it isn't something that I feel the need to own. Fun enjoyable characters, but the plot really isn't that unique and for all the mystical elements, it is your classic high school love comedy. Well drawn and easy to read.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
When saw this suggested to me on Goodreads, I thought it was a joke. So I requested it from the library, just for laughs. And darnit, I ended up really enjoying it. Next volumes are requested, and I look forward to seeing where this goes.
Jenna
For fans of the manga "Fruits Basket" and perhaps even "Ghosthunters". A young woman and her demon companion must simultaneously deal with high school drama and the restless spirits that surround them.
Robin Conley
Feb 20, 2011 Robin Conley rated it liked it
This was an okay manga. It's got an interesting story going on but I'm not sure it is that attention grabbing just yet. It has potential though and I think it could get better in the next two.
Barbz
Dec 16, 2013 Barbz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: manga
This is a great book - it's the start of a really fun series. It's easy to get into because it's broken into "dog fights". All in all, even if you don't think you like manga, try this book!
Karaoke OK
Apr 09, 2009 Karaoke OK rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-favorites
[Series Length: 11 volumes / Read: volumes 1-11]

(Would you like me to post a short review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
AudryT
May 09, 2010 AudryT added it
Shelves: go-comi-manga
One of our best sellers. I was Creative Director for this one...and maybe Senior Editor, though Jake did almost all of the editorial work during our first year.
Steph
Feb 01, 2008 Steph rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Cute story and art, a bit shoujo, a bit horror. I'm not sure why it's rated OT/16+ though -- because there are three scenes of public kissing?
Susan
Nov 15, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: shojo_manga, yokai
So cute! You can tell it started off as a one-shot story, but she is able to expand the series without running out of ideas--so far.
Melissa
Oct 23, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
I put this series off for the longest time because of the cover but it was actually cute and engaging.
  • Vampire Game, Volume 01
  • 恋だの愛だの 1 [Koi Dano Ai Dano 1]
  • Punch!, Vol. 1 (Punch!, #1)
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • Princess of the Damned
  • Kyo Kara MAOH!, Volume 01
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Yurara, Vol. 1
  • Love Monster, Vol. 1
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #5)
  • Mugen Spiral, Vol. 01
  • G.A. Aiken Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, & Last Dragon Standing
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 1 (Ghost Hunt, #1)
  • Girl Got Game, Vol. 1 (Girl Got Game, #1)
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1
  • InuYasha Ani-Manga, Vol. 1 (Inuyasha Ani-Manga, #1)
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 (Tenshi Ja Nai, #1)
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
Mick Takeuchi (竹内未来) has been making manga since 1994. Her breakout series was Ayakashihime Kurenai, published under Kadokawa’s Asuka imprint. In 2000, she began Joou-sama no Inu (Her Majesty’s Dog), her longest and most popular work. It started out as a part-time project, with quarterly chapters, but was so popular that after 2002, it ran monthly and was her sole project for a while.

Takeuchi-sen
More about Mick Takeuchi...

Her Majesty's Dog (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 2
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 3
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 4
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 5
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 6
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 7
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 8 (Her Majesty's Dog)
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 9