Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1

Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1 (Her Majesty's Dog #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,967 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Amane's not like other girls. With her ice queen demeanor and naivete, she's become quite the misfit on campus. Even more unusual is her relationship with fellow transfer student Hyoue Inugami, the hottest guy in school. But the truth is that Amane is a powerful psychic and Hyoue is her guardian demon-dog whose powers are fueled by her kiss And when Amane lets her "dog" of...more
Published November 2nd 2006 by Go Comi (first published October 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1

Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
95th out of 308 books — 426 voters
Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
214th out of 569 books — 1,189 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
A cute series with a horror slant. I really like the female protagonist! She is kind and clueless but without being spineless. Plus I love that she still can't figure out how to use "modern" technology!
ChaoticNight
Arminzerella
Starbubbles
This series was soo good! My expectations were blown away, or more like to smithereens. I was expecting a "meh" story similar to Beast Master, only to read the first chapter and have it not narrated by either of the main characters. Sure, she's a key player, but not one typically telling the story. That set the tone for an incredible story filled with twists, turns, friendship, love, and most importantly, self-discovery. I believe that last part is what separates any story for an okay, or even g...more
Curse of the Bibliophile
This was a really cute and interesting story that I highly enjoyed.
The art was ok, but the characters were what really kept me interested. I was able to relate to a lot of the characters from this story and even though this has a lot of paranormal aspects to it I think it really shows a lot of the things that teenagers go through, especially in high school.

I also liked the fact that whenever it started to get a bit too serious the Mangaka (sorry if I spelled that wrong) always found a way to t...more
Hannah
Series Review: He Majesty's Dog is a unique and entertaining manga that is well worth the read. It is funny and lighthearted while keeping a series plot. The characters are amazing as they each have very different personalities that work wonderful together. I definitely recommend giving this manga a try!
Kimikimi
Looks like a paranormal romance with an interesting enough premise. Powerful psychic girl and her physically powerful demon isn't exactly new and it's done better in other places but I liked this one enough that I'll try to pick up the next few.
Nicole
This one was just okay. Kind of strange plot, and with pretty flat characters. Basically, our young teenage heroine Amane has been raised in a village noted for its powerful psychics. She can see ghosts and control spirits by learning their true names and using the power of her words to command them and help them find peace. She leaves her village to see more of the world, and attends a regular high school accompanied by her trusty demon, Hyoue. Hyoue has a contract of sorts with Amane. She allo...more
Hannah
Takeuchi Mick's art is quite pretty. Hyoue is drawn particularly well, and the slave/master relationship mixed with romantic tension between Hyoue and Amane is central to Her Majesty's Dog, and also one of my favourite elements.

Hyoue's such a conflicting character; he clearly loves Amane deeply, but she coldly maintains a distance between them and makes his status as her demon protector and not quite her equal, quite painfully clear. This seems to be Amane's way of protecting herself, and Hyoue...more
Alice
At first I was skeptical about the art and story by just looking at the covers. I'm glad I gave it a chance though since it turned out to be a good first volume. Inside the art is better than what's on the front cover, so I was pleasantly surprised. Another thing I really enjoyed is how each chapter is a little story/situation that the characters get into. I know not all manga's are like that, but it fits really well for this series.

I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys magic, legen...more
Jami Lowe
Liked the whole series very much!
Aiste
So funny!!!
Sara
Karla
Apr 01, 2008 Karla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: manga fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
A cute, rather predictable shoujo manga. It was funny, and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't one of the best I have read. Each episode seems to stand alone so there isn't a big story arc. Good if you want to pick up a volume out of order - if the following volumes are the same as the first. Not like some manga series that go on for 20+ volumes see Fruits Basket without resolving the story!!! Argghhhhh!!!
Tawnie
While I enjoy the series, it isn't something that I feel the need to own. Fun enjoyable characters, but the plot really isn't that unique and for all the mystical elements, it is your classic high school love comedy. Well drawn and easy to read.
Jenna
For fans of the manga "Fruits Basket" and perhaps even "Ghosthunters". A young woman and her demon companion must simultaneously deal with high school drama and the restless spirits that surround them.
Robin Conley
This was an okay manga. It's got an interesting story going on but I'm not sure it is that attention grabbing just yet. It has potential though and I think it could get better in the next two.
Barbz
Dec 16, 2013 Barbz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: manga
This is a great book - it's the start of a really fun series. It's easy to get into because it's broken into "dog fights". All in all, even if you don't think you like manga, try this book!
Karaoke OK
[Series Length: 11 volumes / Read: volumes 1-11]

(Would you like me to post a short review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
AudryT
May 09, 2010 AudryT added it
Shelves: go-comi-manga
One of our best sellers. I was Creative Director for this one...and maybe Senior Editor, though Jake did almost all of the editorial work during our first year.
Steph
Feb 01, 2008 Steph rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Cute story and art, a bit shoujo, a bit horror. I'm not sure why it's rated OT/16+ though -- because there are three scenes of public kissing?
Susan
So cute! You can tell it started off as a one-shot story, but she is able to expand the series without running out of ideas--so far.
Minty-chan~
Kawaii! i love the way hyoue looks! kyaaa~ wish you could be mine! i definately wouldnt treat you like a dog~
Rachel
Love the folkloric elements. Character backgrounds are not fully realized in this volume

Camerion Cardwell
i read back in high school. I give it 4 because I don't quite remember the plot.
Kimberly
Random language for middle schoolers but a fun story that girls will enjoy.
Dracolibris
I really enjoyed this and look forward to reading more of the series.
Wee!wawaLAA!!!
Nov 26, 2008 Wee!wawaLAA!!! is currently reading it
I read part of this 3 years ago thanks to my awesome buddy~ Rika :]
Cassandre
A friend loaned me this book and it's one of my favorite manga.
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Recommended for fans of Ghost Hunt-style horror/shoujo manga.
  • Punch!, Vol. 1 (Punch!, #1)
  • Vampire Game, Volume 01
  • Love Monster, Vol. 1
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 1
  • Ghost Hunt, Volume 1
  • Mugen Spiral, Vol. 01
  • Hanatsukihime, Vol. 02
  • Tail of the Moon, Volume 1
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 (Tenshi Ja Nai, #1)
  • InuYasha Ani-Manga, Vol. 1 (Inuyasha Ani-Manga, #1)
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 01
  • Kyo Kara MAOH!, Volume 01
  • Girl Got Game, Book 1
  • Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 5
  • Land of the Blindfolded, Vol. 1 (Land of the Blindfolded, #1)
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • Desire Climax, Vol. 1
  • Hana to Akuma, Vol. 01
Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 2 Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 3 Her Majesty's Dog Vol. 4 (v. 4) Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 5 Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 6