Wicked Promise (Clayton #1)

Wicked Promise (Clayton #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A Lady's Desperate Choice
When the loathsome Lord Bascomb tries to force her into marriage, Elizabeth Woolcot, against her will, must applea to her influential guardian. Nicholas Warring, known as the Wicked Early, is a darkly handsom charasmatic figure--with the power to save her but a past that could put her reputation dangerously at risk. A ruthless womanizer, he has als...more
Published January 5th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Promise

Sharon
Easy to read story involving the much used Guardian seduces his Ward theme. (I don't read the type often but I always enjoy it when written well).

Elizabeth Woolcot, (h/ward), is a very likeable leading lady. She isn't too happy about ending up as the ward of the notorious, convicted murderer, Nicholas Warring aka the Wicked Earl.

Likewise, when Nicholas' solicitor brings Elizabeth to his estate and presents Nicholas (H/guardian) with the news of his new responsibility, nobody is really happy abou...more
Missy
Really, really enjoyed this book - just could not put it down! A wonderful love story packed full of: jealously; deceit; betrayal; obsession; greed; sin; redemption; murder; and true love. Nicholas and his sister Maggie are tainted by a past scandal & murder; believing he deserves no forgiveness Nicholas descends into a life of excess until a light enters his life in the form of Elizabeth, his ward. Elizabeth sees the good in him and he starts to see the errors of his ways and realizes he ne...more
Mo
For a time back in the 80’s & 90’s, my reading material of choice was frequently bodice rippers, historical fiction, and regency romances with a few contemporary best sellers thrown in for good measure. Most of them were pretty steamy (blush) &/or overly romantic, but I read them during a time in my life when I found myself as a single parent, and these books fit the bill. I found them to be highly entertaining.

I recently donated a slew of them, but I wanted to catalog them all the same...more
Splage
3 1/2 - 4 stars. Good read that kept my interest, lots of things going on in this story, a lot of minor conflicts throughout that kept it moving. Guardian/ward story with some good sexual scenes, also there were other women and men for the H&h in the picture which did create some jealousy- which I loved. The hero was very tortured soul and a little bit of a downer- he said "I am sorry" too much, but it was a good love story.
Manuela
RomReader
20-yr-old ward moves into her rakish guardian's estate in order to be protected by molestation attempts of lecherous & obssessive man. She becomes attracted to him, despite knowing about his reputation & ex-convict past. But Hero is married but estranged from his wife for 9 years. Hero tries to fight off his attraction to heroine b/c of his married status & tries to marry her off to a respectable man.

Although Martin's writing is good, I did not find Hero's sudden change from an unca...more
skein
so, apparently I've read this before? C says that is DISGRACEFUL but I point out how many books I've read just this year, compared to her total (8, love) and also: the cover is different on this copy!!
Umm. I think. (edit: apparently not. oops.)
Anyway, it's pretty good. And I bought it for 47c.

And ... the song playing on iTunes right now is Candyman:

"he had tattoos up and down his arm
there's nothing more dangerous than a boy with charm
he's a one-stop shop, makes the panties drop
he's a sweet-talk...more
Quinn
It was everything you'd expect in a romance novel- hot sex, lush romance, two good and beautiful people devoted to one another who have to go through hell and high water to be happy.

I liked it, but I didn't love it. It seemed drawn out. Maybe 30-40 pages too long. It was easy to put down, and I didn't feel the burning need to return to it. I was a bit bored overall.

I would certainly read more from Kat Martin. I do like her voice. :-)
CrazyPenguinLady
Not this author's best. It was too long and somewhat predictable. The characters were likable, though, and there were a few themes that were unique (like (view spoiler).) Fans of the genre will enjoy it, but it's nowhere near as good as Ms. Martin's later work.
Nira
Was a lovely read. But I had already read Grace and Ethan's story before this one and liked it better. This one lacked a certain degree of flare/danger that the other had. On the whole though I love the characters and Kat Martin so I'm rather biased. Give it a shot. It might impress you :)
Sharon Sherman
If you think life is hard now this book will show you that it was hard in 1803 as well and that in the end everything can go right.
Sammy
The story needs more...more characterization, more feeling, villains that are more villainous, more drama, more action...you get my drift.
Being Human
This book is too silly for my taste.
Kat Martin really needs to sharpen her writing ability!!
Lynn
I loved it! Elizabeth and Nicholas are a sigh worthy couple...
Linda Lachance
Very good, recommend!
Kimberly
good hot regency romance!
Juliana
Juliana marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Maricar
Maricar marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Nancy Feldman
Nancy Feldman marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • Forbidden Love
  • When Angels Fall
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • Seduced
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • In Your Eyes
  • Upon a Moon-Dark Moor
  • Dangerous Desires
  • Tapestry
  • Lily
  • Once an Angel
  • Dark Fires (Bragg Saga, #4)
  • My False Heart (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron, #1)
  • A Valentine Wedding
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • Lessons From a Courtesan
  • A Fire in the Heart
Kathleen Kelly Martin (aka Kathy Lawrence, Kasey Mars)

Kathleen Kelly was born on 14 July 1947 in the Central Valley of California, USA. She obtained a degree in Anthropology and History from the University of California in Santa Barbara. She was a real estate broker, when she met her future husband, Larry Jay Martin. A short time after the two became acquainted, Larry asked her to read an unpublis...more
More about Kat Martin...
Against the Wind (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #1) Against the Law (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #3) Against the Storm (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #4) Against the Fire (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #2) The Bride's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy #1)

“day in her father’s study. Relief mingled with guilt as he” 0 likes