Start by marking “Wicked Promise (Clayton, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Promise (Clayton, #1)

Wicked Promise (Clayton #1)

A Lady's Desperate Choice
When the loathsome Lord Bascomb tries to force her into marriage, Elizabeth Woolcot, against her will, must applea to her influential guardian. Nicholas Warring, known as the Wicked Early, is a darkly handsom charasmatic figure--with the power to save her but a past that could put her reputation dangerously at risk. A ruthless womanizer, he has als
Published January 5th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicked Promise

Sharon
Easy to read story involving the much used Guardian seduces his Ward theme. (I don't read the type often but I always enjoy it when written well).

Elizabeth Woolcot, (h/ward), is a very likeable leading lady. She isn't too happy about ending up as the ward of the notorious, convicted murderer, Nicholas Warring aka the Wicked Earl.

Likewise, when Nicholas' solicitor brings Elizabeth to his estate and presents Nicholas (H/guardian) with the news of his new responsibility, nobody is really happy abou
Splage
3 1/2 - 4 stars. Good read that kept my interest, lots of things going on in this story, a lot of minor conflicts throughout that kept it moving. Guardian/ward story with some good sexual scenes, also there were other women and men for the H&h in the picture which did create some jealousy- which I loved. The hero was very tortured soul and a little bit of a downer- he said "I am sorry" too much, but it was a good love story.
Serena Miles
Feb 07, 2017 Serena Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El libro me ha gustado mucho... aunque se me ha hecho largo
Me han parecido unos personajes geniales, que me han conquistado enseguida.. todos todos

9/10
Val Bryan
Mar 13, 2017 Val Bryan rated it it was amazing
LOVE,LOVE, LOVE this book. I read it for a second time as soon as I finished it the first time. Beautiful love story.
Missy
Sep 10, 2014 Missy rated it it was amazing
Really, really enjoyed this book - just could not put it down! A wonderful love story packed full of: jealously; deceit; betrayal; obsession; greed; sin; redemption; murder; and true love. Nicholas and his sister Maggie are tainted by a past scandal & murder; believing he deserves no forgiveness Nicholas descends into a life of excess until a light enters his life in the form of Elizabeth, his ward. Elizabeth sees the good in him and he starts to see the errors of his ways and realizes he ne ...more
Mo
For a time back in the 80’s & 90’s, my reading material of choice was frequently bodice rippers, historical fiction, and regency romances with a few contemporary best sellers thrown in for good measure. Most of them were pretty steamy (blush) &/or overly romantic, but I read them during a time in my life when I found myself as a single parent, and these books fit the bill. I found them to be highly entertaining.

I recently donated a slew of them, but I wanted to catalog them all the same
Manuela
Feb 17, 2011 Manuela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prestito, storico
RomReader❤️Spoiler Giver✨
20-yr-old ward moves into her rakish guardian's estate in order to be protected by molestation attempts of lecherous & obssessive man. She becomes attracted to him, despite knowing about his reputation & ex-convict past. But Hero is married but estranged from his wife for 9 years. Hero tries to fight off his attraction to heroine b/c of his married status & tries to marry her off to a respectable man.

Although Martin's writing is good, I did not find Hero's sudden change from an unca
skein
Jan 25, 2011 skein rated it liked it
so, apparently I've read this before? C says that is DISGRACEFUL but I point out how many books I've read just this year, compared to her total (8, love) and also: the cover is different on this copy!!
Umm. I think. (edit: apparently not. oops.)
Anyway, it's pretty good. And I bought it for 47c.

And ... the song playing on iTunes right now is Candyman:

"he had tattoos up and down his arm
there's nothing more dangerous than a boy with charm
he's a one-stop shop, makes the panties drop
he's a sweet-talk
Mey
Jul 31, 2016 Mey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sin duda alguna gana conforme va desarrollandose. En un principio me recordaba muchísimo al patrón seguido en otras novelas de Kat pero conforme vas acercandote al último cuarto del libro, la historia da un giro y logra sorprender. Me gusta mucho la forma en que van desarrollandose los acontecimientos, sus toques de humor y que tiene la cantidad justa, para mi gusto, de contenido erótico. Por otro lado, no me gusta que la autora no nos cuente las consecuencias del acto final de forma amplia, le ...more
Quinn
Apr 10, 2012 Quinn rated it liked it
It was everything you'd expect in a romance novel- hot sex, lush romance, two good and beautiful people devoted to one another who have to go through hell and high water to be happy.

I liked it, but I didn't love it. It seemed drawn out. Maybe 30-40 pages too long. It was easy to put down, and I didn't feel the burning need to return to it. I was a bit bored overall.

I would certainly read more from Kat Martin. I do like her voice. :-)
Rebecca
Midway through this I realized I had read it back in 1998 when it first came out. It was good enough to finish despite that, but I have the feeling that if another edition were to be published and I were in a lack-of-book position again, I would probably pick it up without realizing that I had read it before...
Shelley
Sep 23, 2015 Shelley rated it it was amazing
Awesome read. Lots of drama and love scienes. Wanted to wrap Nicholas in my arms and hold him. Being punished for a crime of self defense as well as defending his sister. You had to feel sorry for him. And then you have poor Elizabeth and trying to protect herself agains Oliver. Loved every minuet of this book. Thank you.
Paola Montero
Jun 23, 2016 Paola Montero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: le-do
Es un libro muy bueno me gusto mucho, en definitiva el villano era un villano en todo el sentido de la palabra me gusto la propiedad que le dieron al personaje, los personajes secundarios también fueron muy muy buenos, así como los protagonistas puede sentir a través de las lineas su amor.
Nira
Jan 17, 2012 Nira rated it really liked it
Was a lovely read. But I had already read Grace and Ethan's story before this one and liked it better. This one lacked a certain degree of flare/danger that the other had. On the whole though I love the characters and Kat Martin so I'm rather biased. Give it a shot. It might impress you :)
BURMA
Dec 05, 2015 BURMA rated it really liked it
Kat Martin starts her books very nicely. They are always promising, original and passionate but somehow, midway, they careen. The angst is flattened and it makes me feel a bit disappointed . All in all, a nice, esay reading.
Linda Lachance
Feb 07, 2014 Linda Lachance rated it really liked it
Very good, recommend!
Sharon Sherman
Nov 28, 2011 Sharon Sherman rated it really liked it
If you think life is hard now this book will show you that it was hard in 1803 as well and that in the end everything can go right.
Eva
This was a horrible horrible horrible book. I don't know why I read it.

The plot was so horribly written and it was all over the place.

If I could I'd give it 0/5 stars.
Sammy
Apr 15, 2012 Sammy rated it liked it
The story needs more...more characterization, more feeling, villains that are more villainous, more drama, more action...you get my drift.
Jessica De La Cruz
Jessica De La Cruz rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Marcia
Marcia rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Marishka
Marishka rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2011
Michaela
Michaela rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2010
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
May 16, 2015
laura Kashner
laura Kashner rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
Tammie
Tammie rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
Eimile
Eimile rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2017
  • Forbidden Love
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • Virgin Star
  • Anne's Perfect Husband (Sinclair Bride, #2)
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • My False Heart (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron, #1)
  • The Pleasure Seekers
  • When Angels Fall
  • Once in a Blue Moon
  • The Rebellious Ward (Regency, #2)
  • Lessons From a Courtesan
  • Love With a Scandalous Lord (Daughters of Fortune, #3)
  • Love in a Mist (Devereaux Family, #4)
  • Tapestry
  • Lily
  • The Darkest Heart
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • Upon a Moon-Dark Moor (Chandlers of Highclyffe Hall, #1)
Kathleen Kelly Martin (aka Kathy Lawrence, Kasey Mars)

Kathleen Kelly was born on 14 July 1947 in the Central Valley of California, USA. She obtained a degree in Anthropology and also studied History at the University of California in Santa Barbara. She was a real estate broker, when she met her future husband, Larry Jay Martin. A short time after the two became acquainted, Larry asked her to read
More about Kat Martin...

Clayton (2 books)
  • Perfect Sin (Clayton, #2)

“day in her father’s study. Relief mingled with guilt as he” 0 likes