Start by marking “Fast Speaking Woman: Chants and Essays” as Want to Read:
Fast Speaking Woman: Chants and Essays

Fast Speaking Woman: Chants and Essays

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Anne Waldman takes the opportunity with this twentieth-anniversary expanded edition to add twenty poems to this collection that brings into focus her lifelong engagement with “Chant” as central to contemporary performative poetry.

Here are spells, invocations, laments, ritual rants. Archaic beliefs in magic and ecstasy meet current notions of the power of the spoken word. W
Published January 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Speaking Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Speaking Woman

On the Road by Jack KerouacHowl and Other Poems by Allen GinsbergThe Dharma Bums by Jack KerouacNaked Lunch by William S. BurroughsJunky by William S. Burroughs
Beat Lit
135th out of 160 books — 130 voters
Pictures of the Gone World by Lawrence FerlinghettiHowl and Other Poems by Allen GinsbergReality Sandwiches by Allen GinsbergThirty Spanish Poems of Love and Exile by Raphael AlbertiPoems of Humor and Protest by Kenneth Patchen
The Pocket Poets Series
33rd out of 60 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Noriyuko 'Pat'
What I love about Waldman's work is its completely demented nature - it is at once completely arrogant in an almost pathological way (i.e., Waldman framing herself as an invocation of Kali Yuga or related Hindu / Buddhist deity) as it is absolutely charming and funny (little turns of phrases that show her absolute attention and interest in chat, haircuts, and the like). The essays in the most recent edition show a thinker thinking deeply and passionately. A pleasure.
Lauren
Jul 18, 2007 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beat poetry fans
Shelves: poetry
I had to read this in college, and I since re-read it myself for pleasure many times since. Her Buddhism and her re-investigation of the role of women are intermingled to create energetic, prescient poetry about modern womanhood. Though this may have been written to reflect a certain period in time, I think this will be a timeless book of poetry.
Cedric Key
Through generous support from the Governors Workforce Board RI, RIMTA members can now receive up to $5000 in incumbent worker training funds through Express Grants. Companies must be located in RI and provide a 50% match. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and training must be completed within 90 days of applying.
Kate
This girl is still alive and kicking up dirt in Boulder, Colorado. She was one of the youngest members of the beat generation, and I got the chance to see her perform live. She's incredible. Very inspiring. She's so full of life, energy and character.
Kevin
some of the repetitious poetry became tedious to read, as i think they were written to be spoken. however, the essays on performance and the ritual of reading poetry to an audience were literally enlightening.
Annie Goold
She had me writing my own songs of naming and speaking self into being upon the first few lines. Incredible voice and laser-fine eye: a bow and echoing return to you, Miss Waldman.
Crystal
Anne Waldman is one of the most powerful poet perfomers. She is so strong and full of life. This book explores and seeks to define the possibilites of what it means to be a woman.
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
An interesting collection of contemporary poetry, written in the style of chants and invocations. I'm adding this one to my bookshelf.
Maleka
one of my absolutely favorite books of all time. poetry, chants, essays. every time I re-read it I get something more out of it. So good!
Ed Smith
Oct 26, 2009 Ed Smith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beat poets
Read this once I was out of college
around 1976. Fast pasted poems, quick
to the eye & good stuff from Anne
Dom Zuccone
Reads,reaches and moves on the perfect book for a busride.
Lissa

the first one was 34 pages long......... but it was fun
Nigel Pearce
Brilliant poetic chanting as well as the essays.
Miloe Peck/Braden
Wonderful book if you like that sorta thing.
Wendy
what's not to worship?
Allyson Yuhas
Allyson Yuhas is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Zippster G
Zippster G marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
J.C.
J.C. marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Haley
Haley marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Sara Caudill
Sara Caudill marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Sharon L. Sherman
Sharon L. Sherman marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
  • Ring of Fire
  • The Sonnets
  • Mysteries of Small Houses
  • Fuck You-Aloha-I Love You
  • City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology
  • Not Me (Semiotext(e) / Native Agents)
  • Commons
  • Incubation: A Space for Monsters
  • Sisters of the Extreme: Women Writing on the Drug Experience
  • The Tennis Court Oath
  • The Book of Repulsive Women: 8 Rhythms and 5 Drawings
Anne Waldman was part of the late Sixties poetry scene in the East Village. She ran the St. Mark's Church Poetry Project, and gave exuberant, highly physical readings of her own work.

She became a Buddhist, worshipping with the Tibetan Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, who would also become Allen Ginsberg's guru. She and Ginsberg worked together to create a poetry school, the Jack Kerouac School of Disembo
More about Anne Waldman...
The Beat Book Nice to See You: Homage to Ted Berrigan Civil Disobediences: Poetics and Politics in Action Marriage: A Sentence Vow to Poetry