Start by marking “Fast Speaking Woman: Chants and Essays” as Want to Read:
Fast Speaking Woman: Chants and Essays

Fast Speaking Woman: Chants and Essays

Anne Waldman takes the opportunity with this twentieth-anniversary expanded edition to add twenty poems to this collection that brings into focus her lifelong engagement with “Chant” as central to contemporary performative poetry.

Here are spells, invocations, laments, ritual rants. Archaic beliefs in magic and ecstasy meet current notions of the power of the spoken word. W
Published January 1st 2001 by City Lights Publishers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Speaking Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Speaking Woman

Lauren
Jul 18, 2007 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: beat poetry fans
Shelves: poetry
I had to read this in college, and I since re-read it myself for pleasure many times since. Her Buddhism and her re-investigation of the role of women are intermingled to create energetic, prescient poetry about modern womanhood. Though this may have been written to reflect a certain period in time, I think this will be a timeless book of poetry.
Kate
Jun 05, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
This girl is still alive and kicking up dirt in Boulder, Colorado. She was one of the youngest members of the beat generation, and I got the chance to see her perform live. She's incredible. Very inspiring. She's so full of life, energy and character.
Maleka
Nov 29, 2007 Maleka rated it it was amazing
one of my absolutely favorite books of all time. poetry, chants, essays. every time I re-read it I get something more out of it. So good!
Mandy E
Dec 07, 2015 Mandy E rated it really liked it
"I am a dissipative structure—a flowing apparent wholeness, highly organized but always in process. The more complex a dissipative structure, the more energy is needed to maintain all its connections. It is exceedingly vulnerable to internal fluctuations. Connections may only be sustained by a flow of energy; the system is always in flux. The more coherent the structure, the more unstable it is. This ironic instability is the key to transformation. This dissipation of energy creates the potentia ...more
Cedric Key
Sep 17, 2014 Cedric Key rated it liked it
Through generous support from the Governors Workforce Board RI, RIMTA members can now receive up to $5000 in incumbent worker training funds through Express Grants. Companies must be located in RI and provide a 50% match. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and training must be completed within 90 days of applying.
Kevin
Nov 24, 2010 Kevin rated it really liked it
some of the repetitious poetry became tedious to read, as i think they were written to be spoken. however, the essays on performance and the ritual of reading poetry to an audience were literally enlightening.
Crystal
Feb 20, 2012 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Anne Waldman is one of the most powerful poet perfomers. She is so strong and full of life. This book explores and seeks to define the possibilites of what it means to be a woman.
Nicole Kapise-Perkins
Dec 08, 2013 Nicole Kapise-Perkins rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of contemporary poetry, written in the style of chants and invocations. I'm adding this one to my bookshelf.
Annie Goold
Feb 09, 2013 Annie Goold rated it it was amazing
She had me writing my own songs of naming and speaking self into being upon the first few lines. Incredible voice and laser-fine eye: a bow and echoing return to you, Miss Waldman.
Ed Smith
Oct 26, 2009 Ed Smith rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beat poets
Read this once I was out of college
around 1976. Fast pasted poems, quick
to the eye & good stuff from Anne
Thomas Garcia
Thomas Garcia rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Shin Yu
Shin Yu rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2007
Ed Greenlee
Ed Greenlee rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Maggie Graham
Maggie Graham rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2013
Kelsea Dawn Hume
Kelsea Dawn Hume rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Yamo
Yamo rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Dom Zuccone
Jul 19, 2010 Dom Zuccone rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Reads,reaches and moves on the perfect book for a busride.
Kelly Neal
Kelly Neal rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2011
H.R. Hegnauer
H.R. Hegnauer rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2008
Joseph
Joseph rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2008
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2011
Suzzanne
Suzzanne rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Alaina Ferris
Alaina Ferris rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2016
  • City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology
  • The Vertical Interrogation of Strangers
  • The Book of Jon
  • Deviant Propulsion
  • Not Me (Semiotext(e) / Native Agents)
  • The Maximus Poems
  • Elegiac Feelings American
  • The Book of Repulsive Women: 8 Rhythms and 5 Drawings
  • Pink Elephant
  • Word Warriors: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken Word Revolution
  • The Writer on Her Work
  • In Search of Duende
Anne Waldman was part of the late Sixties poetry scene in the East Village. She ran the St. Mark's Church Poetry Project, and gave exuberant, highly physical readings of her own work.

She became a Buddhist, worshipping with the Tibetan Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, who would also become Allen Ginsberg's guru. She and Ginsberg worked together to create a poetry school, the Jack Kerouac School of Disembo
More about Anne Waldman...