The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)

The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  1,659 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Isak is a white-eye, feared and despised in equal measure. Trapped in a life of poverty, hated and abused by his father, Isak dreams of escape, but when his chance comes, it isn't to a place in the army as he'd expected. Instead, the Gods have marked him out as heir-elect to the brooding Lord Bahl, the Lord of the Fahlan.
Lord Bahl is also a white-eye, a genetic rarity tha...more
Published March 16th 2006 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about The Stormcaller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stormcaller

Phoenixfalls
This first novel does show some promise, but overall there were too many missteps, large and small, for me to really enjoy it. The missteps fall into a couple categories: first, problems with authorial control over the narrative, and second, aspects of the book that I object to but other readers may not.

In the first category, I had four problems with the narrative. First, Lloyd was not consistent with point of view. The book was written with an omniscient narrator that jumped from character to c...more
Jason
4.5 Stars

Tom Llyod's Twilight Reign series has been in my reading queue for many years, I just never made the time to start it. Finally, I devoured book one, and loved every minute of it. This mature dark fantasy does not read like a first. It is gritty, dirty, and quite imaginative. Sure this book is the typical coming of age story of our main protagonist Iask, but it is done in a dark world and centers on a pretty bad ass man. Isak is a Whiteeye, a very large, angry, magically adept loner, who...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

I have to say I did things a little bit backwards when it came to this series. It all started with The God Tattoo, Tom Lloyd's anthology of stories from the Twilight Reign that I read last year. Needless to say, I enjoyed it very much. Furthermore, it made me want to explore everything else this world had to offer, so when Pyr gave me the opportunity to read and review The Stormcaller, the first book of the series that beg...more
Kati
I had to re-read this one for work-related purposes and I have to say that the second time around, I liked it much better. I mean, there are still too many characters/places and it's hard to keep track of who is who and related to whom and why but the story itself is rather intriguing and I really liked Isak, Vesna and Mingh and even Lord Bahl himself. It's a good book and I hope that the rest of the "The Twilight Reign" series will be just as good and that the author will actually use all the c...more
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
I was completely surprised by this book. Recommended by the guys over at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/, it sat on my bed stand for over a month before I finally got into it, and then I couldn't put it down.

Lloyd writes unlike so many other sci-fi or fantasy writers. Instead of massive info dumps filling us in on the background of the world they've created, Lloyd just hitches us to the characters like a reality cam and takes the reader along for the ride. We start to see the world, its...more
Mike
Full review at my blog.

Tom Lloyd’s Stormcaller, the first book in the Twilight Reign series first saw publication in the U.K. in March….of 2006. If my previous rants haven’t hammered home the disparity between the U.K. and American fantasy market maybe that will. I don’t know. Regardless The Stormcaller is a fascinating entry into the fantasy genre that sparkles with originality while at the same time paying homage to the works that have come before. The story centers around Isak, a white-eye, a...more
Chris Dawson
Jul 10, 2009 Chris Dawson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
Excellent debut novel by an upcoming fantasy writer in Tom Lloyd, his writing style during battle scenes was immense. Incorporating everything you could imagine into the battle.

This book has everything you expect from a fantasy book. Witches, daemons, magic, gods, politics, the list goes on. Its all in there, the only problem I found with the book was the sheer amount of characters that were introduced, perhaps too many, making it hard to keep with who was from where and doing what. But if you c...more
M.d. Lachlan
A rattling good fantasy tale. If you're looking for fantasy, this is it. Magic, gods, prophecy, intertwining plots, big battles. Top stuff.
Melanie
After starting this book nearly two months ago, I finally forced myself to sit down and read it properly to finish it off, and I think the main problem I have with this book can be summed up quite easily: it's too big.

Now, I don't mean that it's too long. Or rather, I don't just mean it was too long. There was too many threads, too much going on, and you're thrown into a great big world without enough knowledge. There are things and people and places and stuff and terms which were introduced wit...more
Ruth
c2006. Fantastic, tremendous, thrilling. Count myself lucky to have found this book. Everything you could want from a speculative fiction novel, There are heroes and villians although it is difficult to tell who is who! Characters are well drawn and the world building is thorough. Loved it, loved it and there is a DRAGON! All manners of fantasy elements, gods, ghosts, elves, trolls, centaurs, witches etc are all seamlessly included in the story. This man is just a great great storyteller. I have...more
General Dicer
This book isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it sets a fine starting point for one of the better fantasy series out there, and it is a solid novel in and of itself.
It has a great front villain in Kastan Styrax, a well-defined and 3D hero in Isak, and an angry king/mentor that manages to pull the role off without being a stereotype in Lord Bahl. The book is packed with action, magic and intrigue, and the battle scenes are smoothly written, dynamic and easy to follow.
My number on...more
Jason Williams
Another audio book down, and another enjoyable experience. Maybe some wonder why all the books I read or listen to get 3 stars at least. Well, that is because I don't attempt to negatively impact anyone's work. Authors work hard on their work, and if I don't care for it, I keep it to myself. Now on to the review......

"The Stormcaller" is the first in a five book series from author Tom Lloyd called "The Twilight Reign", and does a good job at being just that. "The Stormcaller" does an excellent j...more
Stacey O'Neale
This review was written by Michael Cummings, senior reviewer with the Fantasy Book Addict.

What could have been a four star book compromises its way up to three stars. First, the good. Tom Lloyd presents us with a world filled with gods and men, and all the fantastical tropes that walk in between. Lloyd tugs at all of the familiar strings – prophetically proclaimed saviors, curses, even vampires, and of course, the question of whether our protagonist will turn out to be the hero or the doom foret...more
William
Nice intro into a somewhat lengthy series. parts of the story seemed rushed and some far to drawn out giving the book a little "jerky" feel to the story.It's still a 3.5 star book for me (still no 1/2 star rating system.Why not goodreads?)
Vince
This series has been on my to-read lists for years, but for one reason or another....
Had a difficult time with the first half until I realized this is the first of five and that this is the "ground work" for the following books. Lots of people, but by the end, you're have the story lines down. In review of the rest, it seems the praise for each keeps rising! I like Lloyd's writing and his ability to let you into the character's head as well as what they're actually doing. Guess I'll give The Twi...more
Victoria Osborne
It took me longer than usual to read this book, but I felt that the author deserved a review. Sometimes they just need more.

The bad.
single quotation marks to mark off dialogue. It makes it really difficult to read. He uses a lot of British spelling so I think he must be from England or Australia. But, as far as I know, it is still grammatically correct to use double quote ".

He has many passages of dense prose that you must struggle through. I found those lumps, with paragraphs two pages long, j...more
Siobhan Parker
The Stormcaller, in my opinion, was standard fantasy novel fare aside from one key difference: very vivid descriptions. The sights, sounds, sensations, and other sensory items of the fantastical land were very well-described. The only problems I had were the space-wasting format and the overuse of profanity. If you're a fantasy fan looking for something other than Harry Potter or Tolkien, you might want to check The Stormcaller out.
Steve
Solid, entertaining read. Pretty conventional introduction to the main character, and the scope of this first book it quite narrow, but there are enough hints towards more interesting stuff to come, and the interplay between mortals & gods is unique enough to set it apart.
Jon Ringstad
Stormcaller is on the surface a classic tale of underdog/outsider boy finds a greater destiny, but it quickly sucks you in and shows you that it's got do much more. As the story progresses the world and the characters deepen and the scope widens. This book and series will replace many classics as one of the gates every young readers must pass to become a true reader of fantasy.
Eric
Dec 28, 2008 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much any fantasy fan
Recommended to Eric by: Brian
Shelves: fantasy, borrowed
This was a very good fantasy epic. It is the first part of a series which will comprise and undisclosed number of books. Despite this fact, it had its own beginning and ending.

The social, political, and magical structure of the world is very interesting and unusual. The characters are likable, flawed, and thoroughly realized.
Michael
I think this book deserves a solid 3.5 stars.

Even though there is action and plenty of things going on, I never felt that there was enough depth of character to make this a really worthwhile.

A few things I didn't like:

- I felt that the author wasn't that good transitioning between viewpoints. The story is told in third person and the viewpoint will jump around, however, there were a few times when I just wasn't sure whose viewpoint was being told.

- The story seems to start slow, in the sense th...more
Harry
The Stormcaller is a solid, old fashioned epic fantasy, in the vein of Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule. It's jam-packed with lore-based juiciness and while this isn't always delivered flawlessly it is always satisfying. An entertaining read throughout.
Aimee
From the first paragraph, I was completely swept away by the vivid pictures that were being painted through the beautifully written prose. This story was captivating from the first and compelling to the last, I'm going to start the next one immediately.
Nuranar
Clearly the first of a series, and yet it still engaged me enough that I come away wanting to find the rest of the books. The worldbuilding was done very well, as was the character development. It's refreshing to be able to like characters.
Steven Ede
Surprisingly good book. Very intricate and detailed with lots of complex characters. It was almost in the same vein as GRRMs Game of Thrones novel. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the books when i can get my hands on them.
Josh
Very solid, well thought out, world. Things move quickly but it's never too jarring to follow along. A little inconsistent in a few small spots but most people probably would not notice. Overall, I enjoyed this book a lot.
Hannah
Love it would recommend it to anyone looking for a book that will not allow them to put it down for even an instant.
Josh
A lot of potential, though the onslaught of new characters/history was a bit much. Look forward to the next one.
Sentory
Great idea--poor execution. The main character is essentially a berserker with potential for magic and he is constantly being shadowed by evil portents (which is a super-cool concept and should be explored more often). Unfortunately, there were too many characters and places without enough introduction. It didn't take long to get bogged down and losing track of who anyone was and it interrupted the narrative too much.

If you like to analyze stories and lots of characters, I guess I wouldn't turn...more
  • The King's Bastard (King Rolen's Kin, #1)
  • Blood of Ambrose (Morlock Ambrosius, #1)
  • The Adamantine Palace (The Memory of Flames, #1)
  • Winterbirth (The Godless World, #1)
  • Farlander
  • Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1)
  • Dawnthief (Chronicles of the Raven, #1)
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • The Ten Thousand (The Macht #1)
  • The Conqueror's Shadow
  • Secrets of the Sands (Children of the Desert, #1)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • Royal Exile (Valisar, #1)
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
  • Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
  • The Unremembered (The Vault of Heaven, #1)
  • The Silver Skull (Swords of Albion, #1)
Tom Lloyd was born in 1979 and showed almost no interest in writing until the age of eighteen. I blame the teachers myself.

Nevertheless he did eventually find himself with a long summer to spare before university, and decided to start a novel when it was suggested he get a job to pass the time. This tells you much of what there is to know about him. The rest can be derived from the fact that he fi...more
More about Tom Lloyd...
The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2) The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3) The Ragged Man (Twilight Reign, #4) The Dusk Watchman (Twilight Reign, #5) Moon's Artifice (The Empire of a Hundred Houses, #1)