Start by marking “Painter Man” as Want to Read:
Painter Man

Painter Man

A delicately woven plot and masterly prose illuminate this touching story of a father seeking absolution for his past through his art

When newlyweds Malcolm and Alice set up together in their terraced home, Malcolm's passion for his young wife inspires his artwork. And with the arrival of their two children he continues to work out the patterns of his life through art—shapi
Published May 1st 2005 by Tindal Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Painter Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Painter Man

Nick Davies
Jan 13, 2016 Nick Davies rated it really liked it
I came to this book in a slightly round-about manner, having attended a book group meeting where the author Jeff Phelps had come to talk about the book - but I'd missed the previous month's meeting so hadn't read the book. Seeing the author having to defend his writing from questions by a group of middle-aged women who'd found fault in some of the characters in this debut novel, it all seemed a little unfair.

It was a couple of years later when I was bought a copy of the book, and was able to rea
Debbie
Oct 02, 2009 Debbie rated it did not like it
This book was hardgoing and difficult to get through. The main reason being that Malcolm the main charactor was so hard to like and I could not symphathise with the situation he found himself in. He does little to prevent what happens to him and is a stereotypical artist determined to suffer for his art.

Malcolm produces new pieces or art/ sculture presumably as a symbol of how he is coping or not coping with life. I say his wife had a lucky escape and pity his new girlfriend.

There is a very st
Alan
Jun 22, 2011 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
An interesting, well written novel. Deals with depression and there's a revelation about why..
I should say I know the author (a bit).
Emma Jane
Emma Jane rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2013
Stephen Ingram
Stephen Ingram rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
Sorcha
Sorcha marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016