Start by marking “Literary Theory: The Basics” as Want to Read:
Literary Theory: The Basics

Literary Theory: The Basics

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  189 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Providing the ideal first step in understanding the often bewildering world of literary theory, this text is an easy to follow and clearly presented introduction to this fascinating area.
Published September 27th 2004 by Routledge (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Literary Theory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literary Theory

Elham 8
درست مطمئن نیستم امتیازی که به این کتاب میدهم، چقدر حقیقی است. چون این بار اولی است که کتابی دربارۀ نظریات و نقد ادبی را کامل میخوانم؛ همیشه نگاهی به فهرست میانداختهام و همان تیتری را که لازم داشتهام میخواندهام و احیاناً مینوشتهام و تمام. شکل کتابهای مرجع دقیقاً.
علی ای حال در این مورد فکر میکنم:
این کتاب ادعایی را که در مقدمه و پشت جلد آن کرده است، تا حد قابل قبولی محقق کرده است. یعنی اینکه: «کتابی که در پیش رو دارید، هرچند تاریخ نظریۀ ادبی نیست، اما به شرحی جامع در باب تحولات نظریۀ ادبی از اواخ
Ahmed Adel
Aug 15, 2015 Ahmed Adel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never imagined I could enjoy a book about literary theories as much as I did.
This book offers an amazing, EASY, introduction to almost all literary schools, in a simple way.
The book is a page-turner!
Archie
Dec 25, 2015 Archie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most confusing and dense book I have ever read, second to only the actual theoretical works that this book actually refers to.

It's confusing perhaps because the concepts are hard, and they are hard to wrap your head around because you are simultaneously challenging so many assumptions at once that you start question your own thoughts as well.

If you're a uni student like me, make sure to read this when you have a clear mind. And if your brain ever starts to hurt (which it would, don't worry i
Rachel
Jul 11, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This relatively brief text offers a reasonably thorough introduction to the basics of literary theory -- in that, it does an excellent job of living up to its title. As its discussion of literary theory is somewhat perfunctory, this book is not recommended for the more advanced student, who likely requires greater depth of analysis. However, for those just starting out or wishing simply to dabble in literary theory, this introductory text provides an excellent starting point.

Bertens grounds his
Monica Martin
Jun 12, 2015 Monica Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells the reader how literature became worthy and how history has shaped what we see as 'good' literature. It gives outlines for the main theories (Feminism, Marxism, Race and Postcolonial), but it also shows (relatively) new theories such as Queer Theory and Ecocriticism (environment and animals). This book gives the reader a good overview with great quotes, while suggesting other books if you need to go further into the subject.
Anand Gopal
Aug 19, 2008 Anand Gopal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Mr. Bertens does quite a splendid job of charting the progression of literary theorizing from the liberal-humanist perspective, through structuralism, Marxism, cultural studies, postcolonial studies and more. The book's highlight is its lucid accounts of structuralism and post-structuralism, in which the author does admirably in trimming the fat.

Since this work covers a range of theories, it is useful even if you are well-versed in one or theoretical trends. Bertens also illuminates the relatio
Roane Swindon
Jan 29, 2014 Roane Swindon rated it really liked it
An excellent, easy-to-understand overview of literary theory from its very beginnings to new theories such as queer theory and ecocriticism. Bertens describes all concepts clearly, often with examples and relevant quotes, and if he's piqued your curiosity, offers recommended books that you might enjoy in regards to all the different theories.
Mohammad Mirzaali
کتاب مفیدی که از آرای متیو آرنولد و نقد نو، تا ساختارگرایی و پساساختارگرایی را پوشش میدهد. شاید به همین دلیل هم باید کتابی مقدماتی دانستش ...more
Anastasia
May 17, 2016 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to read this book for a class and did not anticipate how much I would actually enjoy it. The book is extremely informative and I actually devoured the chapters faster then they were assigned. It's going in my personal library since I know I'll read it again.
Ashraf
Jul 08, 2012 Ashraf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Literary Theory: The Basics as a preparation for my grad school. It is well written and organized. I just feel that Mr. Bertens could have expanded on the first chapter on post-structuralism a bit more (especially the part on Derrida), but overall it's a good introductory book on literary theory.
Matthew
May 05, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
A great overview of literary theory - and worth reading with a friend for discussions. While it doesn't illuminate every approach completely - nor should it, it's the basics - it is a great starting point so that you will have a working knowledge and a starting point.
Casper
Jun 17, 2007 Casper rated it really liked it
The handbook we used during a Modern Literary Theory course. It's definitely accessable, but certainly not too easy-going as it manages to cover a whole range of 20th centure theories. Anyone interested in the field I would recommend this book to start with.
Clare
Oct 01, 2008 Clare rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-theory
This is an excellent introduction to the history of literary theory. A bit overly wordy in places but really helpful and well set out.
Jillian
Nov 08, 2007 Jillian rated it really liked it
Shelves: grad-school, own
I found it quite helpful while preparing for grad school.
Strawberrii_xx
Very Useful For Coursework
Sofi
Oct 21, 2013 Sofi rated it really liked it
Excellent.
Rani Yah
Rani Yah marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Gb
Gb is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2016
Sudip Mukherjee
Sudip Mukherjee marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Anne
Anne is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2016
Nevini Tambay
Nevini Tambay rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Anahita
Anahita marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Mana H
Mana H marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
mohammadd
mohammadd marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Ketab
Ketab is currently reading it
May 29, 2016
saeedeh 26
saeedeh 26 marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Farah
Farah added it
May 27, 2016
Saba Gfr
Saba Gfr rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Nill
Nill marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • Deconstruction: Theory and Practice
  • Catholicism: New Study Edition--Completely Revised and Updated
  • The Old Testament: A Historical and Literary Introduction to the Hebrew Scriptures
  • Introducing Heidegger
  • Monologion and Proslogion with the Replies of Gaunilo and Anselm
  • Against the Academicians/The Teacher
  • Eureka!: 81 Key Ideas Explained
  • Ancient Rhetorics for Contemporary Students
  • The Logical Structure of the World and Pseudoproblems in Philosophy
  • In Good Company: The Fast Track from the Corporate World to Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience
  • The Cambridge Companion to Aristotle (Companions to Philosophy)
  • The Beloved Works of C.S. Lewis
  • The Cambridge Companion to Kant
  • Armchair Mystic: Easing Into Contemplative Prayer
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Popper Selections
  • The Philosophical Writings of Descartes (Volume II)
  • The Essential Homer
Daniel Chandler (born 1952) is a British visual semiotician based (since 2001) at the department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies at Aberystwyth University (where he has taught since 1989). His best-known publication is Semiotics: The Basics (Routledge: 1st edn 2002, 2nd edn 2007), which is frequently used as a basis for University courses in semiotics,and the online version 'Semiotics for ...more
More about Daniel Chandler...

“Arnold might object that ideally all of us should get the same – extended – education. And he might also point out that education does not benefit those who refuse to be educated – after all, Culture and Anarchy does not hesitate to group the English aristocracy and the Anglican establishment with the ‘Barbarians’. But he would have to admit that educational opportunities are not evenly distributed over this world; there are, even within every nation, sharply different levels in education. A sceptic might easily see Arnold's” 0 likes
“Our social institutions expect us to be reasonable and to be reasonably free. Because of that freedom, we ourselves are supposedly the source of the value and the meaning we attach to things. As liberal subjects we are not the sum of our experiences but can somehow stand outside experience: we are not defined by our circumstances but are” 0 likes