Start by marking “Where You're At: Notes from the Frontline of a Hip-Hop Planet” as Want to Read:
Where You're At: Notes from the Frontline of a Hip-Hop Planet

Where You're At: Notes from the Frontline of a Hip-Hop Planet

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Spurred by his own deep love of the music and its central role in his life, but troubled by the current state of mainstream hip-hop culture, Patrick Neate sets off to discover if the music and culture that mean so much to him have retained true cultural vitality and significance anywhere in the world. Covering five continents and cities as diverse as New York, Rio, Tokyo, ...more
Published August 3rd 2004 by Riverhead Trade (first published June 21st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Where You're At, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where You're At

Neal
Jun 01, 2010 Neal rated it liked it
I know this isn't a well thought-out review, but wanted to get a few points out:

At first, I thought I was really going to like this book. The author travels around the world to several locations to compare hip-hop in these areas and how it affects the social landscape and possibility of social change. It's a great concept and idea, but Neate doesn't tie it together as well as he hopes (which is kind of the point of the book).

The intro, on how he fell in love with hip hop as a white kid in the UK
Matt
Jul 12, 2013 Matt rated it it was ok
As Patrick Neate is seemingly eager to point out, hip-hop comprises more than just a musical genre. He outlines early on in his book Where You're At the nebulous four/five elements of hip-hop culture: emceeing, DJing, graffiti, break dancing, and sometimes consciousness. Where You're At concerns itself mainly with the social aspects of the culture as Neate travels across the world to provide a snapshot of how the genre has been appropriated and adapted in different countries. Spanning five citie ...more
Skyler
Sep 24, 2014 Skyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: mfa-reading-list
"In the information age, mass media expanded and contracted at the same time. Global broadcasters pumped out homogenous material while niche magazines pitched to ever smaller demographics. But now we are entering the post-information age and information is not so much "niche" as "personal". At a level that remains in the realms of sci-fi for most of us, this means information tailored to our individual mores. But more practically and, for the moment, it means utterly individual; consumption."
kasia
Mar 14, 2008 kasia rated it it was amazing
I almost quit reading this book after the first 30 pages. The author seemed like an annoying, somewhat arrogant jerk who didn't know shit about hiphop. His writing style seemed pretentious and self-indulgent, and I wasn't having it. But I kept going, and I'm SO glad I did, because in the end, it turned out to be an absolutely fantastic, fascinating book on hiphop around the world, as well as one of the best examples of academic writing for a mass audience that I've ever seen.

Full review:
Goransle
Aug 23, 2011 Goransle rated it did not like it
I read this after reading 'City of Tiny Lights' and was very disappointed. I understand that this book is, by no means, in the same style as 'Tiny Lights' but I figured that, given how much I enjoyed reading that book, I would enjoy Neate's other works. This book intends to be a history of hip-hop in relation to Neate's life and his experiences. An interesting concept and one that appeals to me on paper but, for whatever reason, it just didn't work for me.
Adam
Apr 22, 2016 Adam rated it it was ok
Good ideas, but frustrating, fractured, and seemingly out-of-time, even though the book is only 12-13 years old.
Aaron
Jan 18, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun look at how hip hop has been embraced by different cultures, how its power as a political or cultural movement is in its maleability, a nice ethnographic/journalistic survey of different places, different people and also different issues that people, especially youth, face in europe, south africa, south america, japan and the United States.

Cynthia
Feb 09, 2008 Cynthia rated it liked it
a pretty engaging glimpse of hip hop in different parts of the world with little historical detours along the way. i got kind of fatigued from the type of writing and repetitious themes by the end of the book though.
Rushay Booysen
May 30, 2010 Rushay Booysen rated it really liked it
nice read i was honored to receive a copy of the book when it dropped good insight into Patricks journey to several countries and his discovery to the hip hop scene.I would advise you to get a copy
Stephanie
May 04, 2007 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
a must read for anyone who cares about hip hop and its impact on the world.
Dave
Jan 28, 2008 Dave rated it it was amazing
I love this book.
Benjamin Martin
Benjamin Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Maja Dezulovic
Maja Dezulovic marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Ross
Ross rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2016
Agris Fakingsons
Agris Fakingsons marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Alexander
Alexander rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Chance Hogan
Chance Hogan rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Ria Isobel
Ria Isobel marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Alyse
Alyse rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Jon Bate
Jon Bate rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
  • Princess Noire: The Tumultuous Reign of Nina Simone
  • Visions of Jazz: The First Century
  • A Change Is Gonna Come: Music, Race & the Soul of America
  • And It Don't Stop: The Best American Hip-Hop Journalism of the Last 25 Years
  • Dirty South: OutKast, Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, and the Southern Rappers Who Reinvented Hip-Hop
  • That's the Joint!: The Hip-Hop Studies Reader
  • The Vibe History of Hip Hop
  • Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists
  • Soul Train: The Music, Dance, and Style of a Generation
  • Hip Hop Matters: Politics, Pop Culture, and the Struggle for the Soul of a Movement
  • Yes Yes Y'all: The Experience Music Project Oral History Of Hip-hop's First Decade
  • Why White Kids Love Hip Hop: Wankstas, Wiggers, Wannabes, and the New Reality of Race in America
  • The Dozens: A History of Rap's Mama