Start by marking “Amy's Answering Machine: Messages from Mom” as Want to Read:
Amy's Answering Machine: Messages from Mom

Amy's Answering Machine: Messages from Mom

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Does your mother call you in a panic whenever there's a storm warning for your area? Does she act as though it's her duty to alert you to every health story on the news? Have you ever been briefly out of touch with your mother only to find she's phoned everyone short of the National Guard to track you down -- or, just maybe, are you that mother?Take comfort in knowing you' ...more
Published April 3rd 2001 by Atria (first published April 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Amy's Answering Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amy's Answering Machine

PostSecret by Frank WarrenA Lifetime of Secrets by Frank WarrenPostSecret by Frank WarrenMy Secret by Frank WarrenPassive Aggressive Notes by Kerry Miller
Found, Submitted
39th out of 57 books — 31 voters
Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth StroutThe Joy Luck Club by Amy TanAmy Angel Goes Home by Eric BakkeLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottFinding Amy by Carol Steward
The Amys
8th out of 21 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Zoe
Jun 22, 2007 Zoe rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People with overprotective mothers and/or answering machines
Shelves: 2007books
If you're looking for a really quick read (under an hour or so), this is the book for you. It's a quirky little collection of answering machine messages from Amy's overprotective Jewish mother and Amy's anecdotes about/responses to the messages. Funny, I guess, but it fell a little flat to me.
Amelia
Nov 11, 2015 Amelia rated it did not like it
Eh, I bought this book because of the title mainly...and it looked funny. It is mildly amusing in parts, but not so much, mostly bitching about her yenta mom. The best part about it was that it is a really short read. Borrow it maybe, if you feel you must. I wouldn't buy it if I had it to do over, and I would never read it again.
Amy
Aug 13, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Oh so quick & funny! My only disappointment was it was over too fast! I heard about this book years ago on the radio & have been meaning to find it ever since. My mother is neurotic as well, so I could identify & commiserate. Buy this & laugh out loud!!
Loretta
Jun 06, 2016 Loretta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borkowsky
This very cute book features actual messages Amy's mother left after Amy left home to start her life as and independent adult-or so she thought anyway.
Suzie
Nov 17, 2014 Suzie rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
Amy's mother loves her very much and leaves her funny messages. This book is short, enjoyable, and light. This isn't as good as Sh*t My Dad Says, but few people are as eminently quotable as Justin Halpern's dad.
Rachel Barr
Jun 27, 2016 Rachel Barr rated it it was amazing
I h ave not laughed so hard in a long time.. A most read for a great laugh. The message and the responses are awesome
Bookfanatic
Jun 05, 2013 Bookfanatic rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, memoir, non-fiction
Funny and charming! These are the real life answering machine messages left by Amy's very overprotective mother who frets constantly about her daughter's health, love life, and well-being. The messages are comical. For example, Mom warns Amy about wearing certain colors while she's walking down the hallway to throw her trash in the trash chute because she could be mistaken for a gangster. She tries valiantly to make sure Amy is aware of every possible danger out there in the world no matter how ...more
Colleen
Nov 30, 2014 Colleen rated it really liked it
A hilarious read; funny for anyone who has or is a mother.
Becky Frost
Feb 01, 2014 Becky Frost rated it it was amazing
Oh so good....and I type this with my red robe tucked away in the closet.... :)
N.N. Light
Apr 02, 2014 N.N. Light rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and it made me laugh all the way through. Some people may not like it but I loved it! It's an easy read and perfect for delving into after a hard day! :-)
Jill
Funny answering machine messages from mom.
Mary Kinietz
Jan 26, 2014 Mary Kinietz rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Funny - possibly even funner if it were audio - actual messages left by her mother.
Jan 17, 2008 Heather rated it did not like it
Ok, I could have done without this one. I read the first few pages and then relisted it on PBS. I heard about this book years ago, and actually listened to the author on a talk show once. She is VERY funny, and so is her subject matter. But I got the book to give to my mom for Christmas and it is NOT a good mom-gift book. Although it is very funny there’s too much ‘mom-slamming’ for me. Hopefully someone else will enjoy it more.
Meredith
Sep 06, 2007 Meredith rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people/neurotic jewish mothers
This book you can read in about 30 minutes. It's really short and cute with lots of comic drawings. I could relate to some of the things that Amy and her mom dealt with but sometimes I felt like it was way exaggerated. No one's mom would tell them not to wear their red bathrobe because they might be mistaken as part of a gang. Cute, easy read. Would recommend it if you have 30 minutes to laugh a little.
Erin
Sep 25, 2007 Erin rated it it was ok
This is just a really short funny book about the crazy messages her mother leaves on her answering machine. I could relate to some of it (though my mom prefers face to face). It's more of a novelty book than an actual story. Just something you can pick up from time to time and get a quick chuckle.
Aug 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just need a chance to laugh--and I do at this book!! Even more, I enjoy actually listening to the recordings which you can listen to as well. I can laugh at the good, if not divine, intentions I understand now as a mother. For whatever reason, this book tickled my funny bone.....
Stephanie
Feb 20, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I actually listened to the audiobook after hearing one of the stories on NPR. HYSTERICAL! The CD has the actual machine messages from her mom. What makes them so incredibly funny is not only her mom's messages, but the earnestness/seriousness in which her mom speaks.
Cheryl
Apr 27, 2009 Cheryl rated it liked it
The author shares messages left on her answering machine by her over-protective mother. You'll find yourself laughing out loud as her mother gives advice on dating, staying out late, and much more! Quick and light read.
Karen
Aug 24, 2007 Karen rated it really liked it
This is so short I read it while in the bookstore. It's a funny book and worth reading. I have to admit, the older I get the more I sound like Amy's mom...sorry Erika! :-) It's just that I love you and you're SO far away.
Aug 02, 2008 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: general-fiction
This book was ok. I couldn't really relate as I don't have such an overbearing mother like the one in the book. Wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. Still a decent read and really quick.
Denise Toibes
Dec 11, 2009 Denise Toibes rated it did not like it
My mom lives four houses away from me and calls me all the time. I thought this would be good. This book was lame. It could have been better without the author's input on the messages.
Beth
Nov 13, 2011 Beth rated it it was ok
The messages that Amy's mom has left on her answering machine were pretty funny, but it became tedious to read Amy's thoughts on every message. Still a quick funny read.
bookczuk
Given to me because of my name. I heard the author on NPR and the bit was funny. Less funny when there's a whole bit of Jewish mother schtick.
Jul 18, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. Worth every minute - get the audio books so you can actully hear Amy's mother's voice.
Cara
Jul 05, 2009 Cara rated it liked it
Shelves: dewey, 2009
Pretty funny. Amy's mother leaves really funny messages, although I'm sure she doesn't think they are funny. I got quite a few chuckles.
Marie
Sep 23, 2008 Marie rated it it was ok
Some messages are more funny than others. But it didn't have the same kick as hearing it. It was worth the dollar.
Donna
Feb 01, 2008 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: read-and-liked
I thought this was SO funny.....I also listened to it on tape and it was even funnier hearing the mother!!!!!
Ellice
Jul 16, 2010 Ellice rated it it was ok
Like my friend Mel said, "This would have been better to listen to".
Gina Becconsall
Jul 21, 2011 Gina Becconsall rated it it was ok
Book was just ok. It sounded like it would be better than it actually was.
Rachel
Jul 11, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Cute but a bit forced. Fun for the $1 I think I paid for it. :)
  • Catapult: Harry and I Build a Siege Weapon
  • Goodnight, John Boy: A Celebration of an American Family and the Values That Have Sustained Us Through Good Times and Bad
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Where the Pavement Ends: One Woman's Bicycle Trip Through Mongolia, China & Vietnam
  • Book of Everything
  • Balsamic Dreams: A Short But Self-Important History of the Baby Boomer Generation
  • A Smile as Big as the Moon: A Special Education Teacher, His Class, and Their Inspiring Journey Through U.S. Space Camp
  • Sunk Without a Sound: The Tragic Colorado River Honeymoon of Glen and Bessie Hyde
  • Round Ireland in Low Gear
  • Nothing to Do but Stay: My Pioneer Mother
  • Eight Feet in the Andes
  • Walking Home: A Woman's Pilgrimage on the Appalachian Trail
  • CraftFail: When Homemade Goes Horribly Wrong
  • Creepiosity: A Hilarious Guide to the Unintentionally Creepy
  • The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation
  • Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex