Start by marking “The Hazards of Sleeping Alone” as Want to Read:
The Hazards of Sleeping Alone

The Hazards of Sleeping Alone

With her free-spirited daughter away at college and her "hip" ex-husband living across the country, Charlotte has grown used to being alone. For the most part, she prefers it. She relies on familiar routines: manicures, grocery shopping, game shows. But at night, no matter how hard she tries (and in spite of the Dream Machine her daughter Emily sent her) she can't stop her ...more
Published September 14th 2004 by Downtown Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hazards of Sleeping Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hazards of Sleeping Alone

Annette
Jun 07, 2014 Annette rated it liked it
Somewhat uneven, and slow moving. The story of a woman who has become locked inside her own life, narrowing her choices and her routines in an effort to stay away from the messy emotion of life in general. Charlotte lives in a condo after moving from the home she shared with her daughter after her divorce from Joe.

Joe and her daughter Emily are free wheeling thinkers and bold doers.

I found the characters annoying. Charlotte the mouse, Emily is a brat, and Joe is a jerk. The only genuine and un
Kim
Feb 16, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-group
I have no idea why -- I think it was the writing that appealed to me the most -- but I really liked this book. And maybe it struck a little close to home too. I was happy to finally read a mother/daughter book from the mother's perspective. This book might have been a lot less appealing before I had kids of my own -- not sure. All I know is that reading is different for me now.

After reading some reviews of this book it made me think about how we read -- how we approach books, their material and
Elysabeth
May 06, 2009 Elysabeth rated it did not like it
So, for whatever reason, I couldn't NOT finish this book. And believe me, I tried. It boterhed me that I put it down, so I powered through. I did not like this book whatsoever. It was full of crazy stereotypes (wacky hippies from New Hampshire, trashy waitresses, Seattle dads who are full of themselves), and drew conclusions that weren't even that intelligent.

I wouldn't read other books by this author and I can't even believe that this book WAS published. I like books that are sometimes a menta
Cindy
Aug 06, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
For some reason, this book really got to me. At first, the character of Charlotte was frustrating. She was wishy-washy, weak, sad, and overly dependent on routines. She clearly didn't like to be out of her comfort zone, and yet she had this strong, opinionated daughter who constantly pushed her out of that comfort zone. It took a while for the character and the story to come together, but as it did, I started to see the beauty of it. It's a book with a relatively simple plot--barely even a plot ...more
Jenni
Feb 04, 2008 Jenni rated it really liked it
Shelves: donated
Marnie
Mar 31, 2009 Marnie rated it liked it
I loved Elise Juska's "Getting Over Jack Wagner" so I thought I might like this one too. It was ok, but it wasnt as good. The subject is very interesting: Charlotte's daughter Emily is very different from her: Emily is a very liberal new age type & lives in an "alternative living arrangement" with her black boyfriend & another couple. She comes home to visit Charlotte, who is divorced, & she's pregnant with a biracial baby. She wants to get an abortion but Charlotte doesnt want her t ...more
Debbie Tinker
Typical Chick-Lit. Didn't require a lot of deep thinking over tough issues. However, it was a great, relaxing, lay in bed reading!
Tara
Jun 19, 2015 Tara rated it liked it
5/26/12 - Went to a few yardsales with mom & Kristina today. Got this one & some others.

6/19/15 finally finished this, this evening! so glad to finish off another of my "in-progress" books!!!

this book was ok. I didn't find it "captivating" (obviously, look how long it took me to finish, lol), but it was OK. depends on your interests & reading preference, too, of course.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it liked it
Charlotte Warren is trying to adjust to living alone in a new condo. Fifteen years after her divorce, Charlotte's daughter urges her to finally 'get a life', but Charlotte wonders if she can. This selection is more hen-lit than chick-lit and has a lot of substance. A wonderful and charming read about letting go of the past and moving on to the unknown.
Penny Gumbel
Sep 16, 2012 Penny Gumbel rated it it was ok
So this is an excellent example of don't judge a book by its cover. I was expecting tales of a spitfire single girl, but got a neurotic divorcee. I was expecting lighthearted chic-lit, but got depressing middle-aged fiction instead. To top it off the character development was minimal at best.
Rachel Gioia
Jan 26, 2011 Rachel Gioia rated it really liked it
Sometimes I liked this book, at others times I couldn't wait to finish it. It was an ok read, kind of preictable at times, sometimes ridculous. I don't know that I would NOT recommend it, but I wouldn't go out of my way TO recommend it. I am wondering what the author's other novels are like...
george
Apr 16, 2008 george rated it it was ok
Eh. I hated this at first. Charlotte is paranoid, annoying, and lives her life through her daughter. Emily, the aforementioned daughter, is selfish, obnoxious and self-righteous. Both experience welcome character changes that made me hate them a lot less by the end. Still iffy about it.
Christy
Mar 08, 2008 Christy rated it liked it
A woman divorces her ultra-hip husband and urges her hippie daughter to reconsider her pending abortion. Reads more as a character study of the mother, who does show a decent degree of development throughout the story. Good book, but not one I'd probably read twice.
Jen
Feb 11, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
I had thought this would be funny chic lit. "confessions of a shopaholic" for an older crowd, perhaps. I didn't laugh out loud, but it was an easy read with some sweet spots. I liked the main character a lot better as she loosened up and grew into herself.
Natalie
Jul 01, 2008 Natalie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who are into mother/daughter stories with one-sided characters
Shelves: 2008, chick-lit
I probably shouldn't have finished this book. The author fails to create sympathy for the main character and her daughter; instead we are presented with two whiny annoying self-serving individuals. Not the worst book I've read, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Meghan
Jul 22, 2009 Meghan rated it liked it
A different chick-lit book. Written from the point of view of the mom. I didn't really know what was going to happen. I liked it, though I can see the criticisms of stereotypical characters ( although I think that's sort of the point).
Aug 23, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
At first I thought it was just a waste of time, but I ended up enjoying it. Plus, the summer is almost over and I'm trying to eat up as many books as possible.
Kara
Sep 22, 2008 Kara rated it it was ok
Definitely not what I expected... I probably wouldn't read this author's books again. She's a little too long-winded for my taste. The book was a pretty slow read.
Michelle
Jun 09, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Pretty good read. Sad at times, but really relatable and a quick read. I wish the author would have told more of the story of Emily after the party at the end.
Dria
Mar 18, 2008 Dria rated it really liked it
I really liked this book- all about a mother/daughter relationship- the daughter being very headstrong and the mother learning about herself. Great read!
Court
Jul 02, 2013 Court rated it really liked it
I read this book pretty quickly - I wanted to see how it ended! The writing was very good, plus the characters were relatable.
Michelle
Dec 08, 2007 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub
Light reading. People with annoying personalities - yet it was a readable book.
Barbara
Not as good as Getting over Jack Wagner. Okay.
Dereksmom99
Jan 08, 2010 Dereksmom99 rated it really liked it
fun chick-lit. great light beach reading.
AJ LeBlanc
Dec 17, 2008 AJ LeBlanc rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
A quick chick lit read from Mom's point of view.
Miriam
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • She, Myself & I
  • New European Poets
  • Behaving Like Adults
  • The Quiet Little Woman: Tilly's Christmas, Rosa's Tale : Three Enchanting Christmas Stories
  • Married in Seattle (First Comes Marriage & Wanted: Perfect Partner)
  • Notes From The Underbelly
  • You Could Do Better
  • Blood and Soap: Stories
  • If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home Now
  • Love and Other Natural Disasters
200123
Elise Juska's novel The Blessings was released by Grand Central Publishing in Spring 2014. The book was selected for Barnes & Noble's Discover Great New Writers series, featured on Entertainment Weekly's "Must List," and named one of the Philadelphia Inquirer's Best Books of 2014. The paperback was released in late May 2015.

Juska's short fiction has appeared in Ploughshares, The Gettysburg Rev
More about Elise Juska...