Start by marking “Assassin Study (Study, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Assassin Study (Study, #1.5)

Assassin Study (Study #1.5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  5,361 ratings  ·  393 reviews
Yelena, the heroine of Maria V. Snyder's stunning debut novel Poison Study, is on her way to her ancestral homeland of Sitia to be reunited with her family and to learn more about her magical powers. An order of execution hangs over her head should she ever return to Ixia. But her true love, Valek, quickly learns that an assassin has taken it upon himself to make sure Yele ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by MIRA Books

To ask other readers questions about Assassin Study, please sign up.

Shima This isn't a book, It's a story and you can read it for free on the author's website. Just follow this link!
Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
46th out of 522 books — 1,029 voters
The Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGraceling by Kristin CashoreAssassin's Apprentice by Robin HobbThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasPoison Study by Maria V. Snyder
SF/F Assassins!
31st out of 153 books — 564 voters

More lists with this book...

Read for free here: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/assassins...

This was very reminiscent of those ‘choose your own adventure’ books, which is probably simply due to the whole ‘letting the readers chose what happens next’ thing the author did. I will say that it’s a very bad idea to get on Valek’s bad side though!
Kristin
GrowingUp YA

I think I had an excitement attack (this usually involves flailing arms) when my friend told me about Maria V. Snyder's novella, Assassin Study

It took me less than a second to find the short story on Snyder's blog and then it was don't talk to me or I'll murder you, Valek style. Okay, so maybe it was more like this:

Anyhoo, as someone who experiences occasional pangs of Poison Study withdrawal, I definitely had my fix with this novella.

Assassin Study is a very quick read that takes p
Mimi
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

A short review for a short story found at http://www.mariavsnyder.com/assassinstudy.php

Yelena has left Ixia to return home to her long-lost family and learn to control her magic, but someone’s taken her execution order and is determined to follow it through. Can Valek, master assassin, save the love of his life without revealing himself?

I quite liked this story told from Valek’s point of view. I love his sense of duty and how he and Yelen
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Update 6/4/15:
So good, this was the perfect pick me-up when I was having trouble sticking to a book that wasn't from this series.

Original review 10/4/14:
The second that I saw Maria V Snyder had a novella out it was on my kindle, and the second I realised it was from Valek’s POV my head snapped down and I was engrossed. I can’t get enough of Valek the Study Series and Assassin Study was bound to be a hit. The way that fans had voted on the outcome of the chapters was actually a great idea and I o
Merve  Özcan

Photobucket

Photobucket

Valek bu hikayede Yelena'nın bir kiralık katil tarafından takip edildiğini öğreniyor ve tüm işini gücünü bırakıp onun peşinden gidiyor. Gerçekten muhteşem bir adam, seksi birde. içim eriyor resmen.

Yolda tuzağa düşülüyor ve zindandan kaçmasına bir kadın yardım ediyor. Ona çocuğunu alacağım sözü veriyor, çünkü kadının kocası kızına büyü kalkanı koymuş ve onu annesinden uzak tutuyormuş. Valek'in büyüden etkilenmeme gücüde işe yarayacak tabii bu konuda. Vale
Sara
Mar 02, 2015 Sara added it
Shelves: 2015
20 páginas de Valek siendo pura perfección.

“...but she had taken his heart with her.”
Carol Chan
After all the 2-star reviews about this, i thought i might be sorely dissapointed after reading the novella, but it was fine. Yes, it was short and completely pointless to the plot but hey, it's about Valek and his POV!!! and because it's short it can't have an omg-its-so-good plot. i liked it.
But that's probably because i love Valek too much for my own good XD
The Holy Terror
Waste of time.

Here's the plot in case you don't want to bother reading this:

(view spoiler)

There's no re
Paula
3.5 stars. Quick, short story.
Eunice Biblioceraptor
The best bit about this book is having Valek on the cover.
plot-line = killing spree. the end.
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
This is a short, 15-page novella with Valek as the main character. Valek is trying to get a handle on the extent of Mogkan’s involvement in General Brazell’s plans to seize control of the Territory of Ixia.

He finds out that there is an assassin after Yelena. Tam, the assassin, has suddenly disappeared taking the order from the commanders execution order with him.

This all happening with Yelena or Irys knowing about it. They are still making their way toward's Yelena's home along with 10 children
Cristy
ASSASSIN STUDY (Study #1.5) is a quick Novella, following POISON STUDY, to tide the reader over before book two MAGIC STUDY (Study #2). I thoroughly enjoy this short story that focuses on and gives a little better glimpse at Valek as a person and as a warrior.

In the process of cleaning up the mess Brazell and Mogkan have left behind, Ari and Valek discover that an assassin has gone to hunt down Yelena as she travels to her ancestral homeland. Valek rushes to Sitia to intercept the would be assa
Saruuh Kelsey
THIS WAS SO GOOD!! HOW WAS THIS EVEN SO GOOD, IT WAS SO SHORT???? VALEKKKKK.

I need thirty more novellas in Valek POV.
Lala_Loopsie
If you read Poison Study isn't a bad book to read. If you don't read it fine, but it's great.
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
3.5

It was cool to see a story from Valek's perspective, and I kind of liked the "choose your own adventure" aspect of it (the author had polled her reader's to ask how they wanted the story to progress at the time of writing ) - though I was also glad the voting and whatnot was over and I was able to read the story straight through. (Most of the votes went the way I would've gone, anyway. It was kind of amusing, though, the way you could sort of tell the author would take the poll, but them stee
Inspired Kathy
A quick short story giving us a chance to see Valek in action. Readers got to weigh in while the story was being written with what they wanted to see happen next. Takes place just after Poison Study ends.

Content: clean
Leanne Bell
This was a lovely short story for all Valek fans! Told from his point of view, and hearing his feelings for Yelena from him was amazing and really revealing. I loved the Study Trilogy and i love Valek, so i loved this :-)
Melody To The Harmony
Moc dobré, ale krátké. Už jsem říkala, že je Valek úžasný? :D Chtěla bych ho jako domácího mazlíčka.
Angie
Synopsis: "Yelena, the heroine of Maria V. Snyder's stunning debut novel Poison Study, is on her way to her ancestral homeland of Sitia to be reunited with her family and to learn more about her magical powers. An order of execution hangs over her head should she ever return to Ixia. But her true love, Valek, quickly learns that an assassin has taken it upon himself to make sure Yelena doesn't reach her destination.

As Ixia's chief of security, and a highly skilled assassin himself, can Valek tra
Assassin Study is a free short story that can be read on Maria V. Snyder's website here. The story is set just after the ending of Poison Study and I wouldn't recommend reading it if you are new to the series but it's a fab little addition for fans of the first book. I absolutely loved Valek in Poison Study so was incredibly excited to learn that this story was from his point of view and it was really good to see things from his perspective.

Yelena has left Ixia and is travelling to Sitia to star
Teiamarie
There is already so much depth to the Study series that these additional novellas can only enrich them even further. I never tire of Yelena and Valek. Yelena was only mentioned in this particular story but it reinforces Valek's feelings that he had developed for Yelena over the course of Poison Study. It also gives us our first glimpse of the Sandseeds and I like to think that Moon Man was the one leading that group. :) While Yelena doesn't know what Valek has done for her, seeing things from hi ...more
Indigo
May 30, 2013 Indigo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love Valek
Recommended to Indigo by: GoodReads
Shelves: fantasy
Love love love this!

Real rating: 3.5 stars

Short and brusque wording, and its simple and to the point. Not much descriptive detail, and if there was more then I would be able to bring it up to more of 5 stars. But it was a very nice peek into how Valek sees the world and what he did to help make sure that the assassin wouldn't reach Yelena.

I did want better depth into Valek's thinking and there were some parts that could've been explored more satisfactorily. As well as lots more descriptive deta
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
This is an extra available on the author's website here:

Apparently it was written in installments, and at the end of each section, Snyder gave her readers two choices for how things could go in the next section (b/c the endings were rather abrupt and cliffhanger-like).

This was probably the best part, b/c of the two choices given, one would be the prudent, logical thing to do, and the other would be the who-the-hell-cares/guns-blazing option . . .

Every, si
Maria Kaye
Can be read at: http://www.harlequin.com/articlepage....

Oh how I love this series! Especially in Valek's POV :D
Meli
Una historia corta sobre Valek que nos deja bien en claro quién es. ¡Me encantó!
Ojala fuera más largo, y me hubiera gustado ver cómo Valek cumple con su promesa, pero estuvo muy, muy bien. Un buen complemento para la historia, con un par de guiños que me encantaron y que nos va poniendo en tono para lo que pasa en Magic.
Safae
May 11, 2011 Safae rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 100
a short story set after Poison study..it's really short and a real fun to read .we were spared all the details that could actually ruin any book..and this one was like an adventure it could even be could One of Valek's adventures :p..the whole chase was fun , quick and resumed . there was some action , some cleverness from both sides and Tam is actually a pretty interesting in this book, it was like he represented the -what if version of VALEK -what if Valek had turned out to be evil ? he would' ...more
Les Chroniques Aléatoires
La trilogie Les portes du secret m’a totalement ravie dès ses prémices et le mystérieux personnage de Valek y est pour beaucoup. J’avais regretté assez souvent qu’on n’ait que le point de vue d’Elena, étant dans le flou concernant le travail de Valek, ses sentiments et ses priorités. Et maintenant qu’il est séparé de son amour, Maria V. Snyder rattrape le coche en écrivant une nouvelle dont il est le héros.

On le savait déjà avant de voir les choses depuis son point de vue, Valek est un personnag
Gunne
Hmm. I think I would much rather read about Valek than to read Valek's account. Otherwise this is an OK short, except it doesn't add much to the story, if at all. You won't miss anything if you don't read this, and I would rather read Valek's notes on poisons, like a personal handbook (like J.K Rowling's Guide to Fantastical Beasts and Where to Find Them), if you know what I mean, with footnotes about Yelena and her reactions to them.
gutted. 7 39 Oct 08, 2014 09:17PM
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Of Swine and Roses
  • Beneath the Surface (The Emperor's Edge, #5.5)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Con & Conjure (Raine Benares #5)
  • The Invitation: Gathering Bonus Short
  • Catching Suki (Lila, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Tan­gled Schemes (Elemental Assassin #3.7)
  • The Decoy Princess (Princess, #1)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been ...more
More about Maria V. Snyder...

Study (6 books)
  • Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • Magic Study (Study, #2)
  • Fire Study (Study, #3)
  • Shadow Study (Soulfinders, #1)
  • Night Study (Soulfinders, #2)
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3)
Poison Study (Study, #1) Magic Study (Study, #2) Fire Study (Study, #3) Touch of Power (Healer, #1) Inside Out (Insider, #1)

“He huffed in amusement. She had the unique ability to attract danger even when in benign situations. Perhaps he should amend his plan and just watch her.” 2 likes
“Valek's thoughts returned to Yelena. An icy finger of loneliness touched the emptiness inside him. She was in Sitia, where she needed to be to learn aboout her magical powers, but she had taken his heart with her.
Cursing himself for being melodramatic, he concentrated on the grim task at hand.”
1 likes