Start by marking “Assassin Study (Study, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Assassin Study (Study, #1.5)

Assassin Study (Study #1.5)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,486 Ratings  ·  481 Reviews
Yelena, the heroine of Maria V. Snyder's stunning debut novel Poison Study, is on her way to her ancestral homeland of Sitia to be reunited with her family and to learn more about her magical powers. An order of execution hangs over her head should she ever return to Ixia. But her true love, Valek, quickly learns that an assassin has taken it upon himself to make sure Yele ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by MIRA Books

To ask other readers questions about Assassin Study, please sign up.

Shima This isn't a book, It's a story and you can read it for free on the author's website. Just follow this link!
Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiGlitches by Marissa MeyerHana by Lauren OliverSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
45th out of 609 books — 1,138 voters
The Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGraceling by Kristin CashoreThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasAssassin's Apprentice by Robin HobbPoison Study by Maria V. Snyder
SF/F Assassins!
35th out of 167 books — 658 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 28, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Read for free here: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/assassins...

This was very reminiscent of those ‘choose your own adventure’ books, which is probably simply due to the whole ‘letting the readers chose what happens next’ thing the author did. I will say that it’s a very bad idea to get on Valek’s bad side though!
Maggie ☘Wonderland-BookQueen☘
Jan 25, 2016 Maggie ☘Wonderland-BookQueen☘ rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hardcore fans *like me* of Study Series
This short story is fast and pretty entertaining. Must read for fans of Study series and to those who are in love *like me* with a certain assassin!

“Knife fighting was his forte, but he wouldn’t have time to have a proper match. Pity.”

You can find it on Maria V. Snyder's website, here: http://www.mariavsnyder.com/assassins...

Skyscraper
Aug 17, 2015 Skyscraper rated it liked it
I would’ve given this book page a lot less than 3 stars if it wasn’t 15 pages. Valek, the bae of all baes, is trying to catch up to an assassin who caught the order of assassinating Yelena, and is willing to kill her to be the commander’s second in command.

A few bumps in the road, a new ally, and I guess that’s it…?

I don’t even get why I’m writing a review on a novella that is 15 pages. Well, the basic reason was to explain why it got 3 stars not less.

So guys read it just to waste time, I guess
Kristin
Jan 09, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it
GrowingUp YA

I think I had an excitement attack (this usually involves flailing arms) when my friend told me about Maria V. Snyder's novella, Assassin Study

It took me less than a second to find the short story on Snyder's blog and then it was don't talk to me or I'll murder you, Valek style. Okay, so maybe it was more like this:

Anyhoo, as someone who experiences occasional pangs of Poison Study withdrawal, I definitely had my fix with this novella.

Assassin Study is a very quick read that takes p
Mimi
Mar 16, 2015 Mimi rated it it was ok
Nemo (Young Adult At Heart)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

A short review for a short story found at http://www.mariavsnyder.com/assassinstudy.php

Yelena has left Ixia to return home to her long-lost family and learn to control her magic, but someone’s taken her execution order and is determined to follow it through. Can Valek, master assassin, save the love of his life without revealing himself?

I quite liked this story told from Valek’s point of view. I love his sense of duty and how he and Yelen
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Update 6/4/15:
So good, this was the perfect pick me-up when I was having trouble sticking to a book that wasn't from this series.

Original review 10/4/14:
The second that I saw Maria V Snyder had a novella out it was on my kindle, and the second I realised it was from Valek’s POV my head snapped down and I was engrossed. I can’t get enough of Valek the Study Series and Assassin Study was bound to be a hit. The way that fans had voted on the outcome of the chapters was actually a great idea and I o
Brad
Apr 16, 2016 Brad rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
3.5 stars.

a simple novella from Valeck's POV that seemed to set up events that will occur in Magic Study. A quick and enjoyable read.
Carol Chan
Jul 04, 2010 Carol Chan rated it really liked it
After all the 2-star reviews about this, i thought i might be sorely dissapointed after reading the novella, but it was fine. Yes, it was short and completely pointless to the plot but hey, it's about Valek and his POV!!! and because it's short it can't have an omg-its-so-good plot. i liked it.
But that's probably because i love Valek too much for my own good XD
Sónia Salgado
This was so shooooort!!! Great small story though! I can't wait to finish Magic Study!
Reddish
20 páginas de Valek siendo pura perfección.

“...but she had taken his heart with her.”
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
If you read Poison Study isn't a bad book to read. If you don't read it fine, but it's great.
Merve  Özcan
Oct 01, 2012 Merve Özcan rated it liked it

Photobucket

Photobucket

Valek bu hikayede Yelena'nın bir kiralık katil tarafından takip edildiğini öğreniyor ve tüm işini gücünü bırakıp onun peşinden gidiyor. Gerçekten muhteşem bir adam, seksi birde. içim eriyor resmen.

Yolda tuzağa düşülüyor ve zindandan kaçmasına bir kadın yardım ediyor. Ona çocuğunu alacağım sözü veriyor, çünkü kadının kocası kızına büyü kalkanı koymuş ve onu annesinden uzak tutuyormuş. Valek'in büyüden etkilenmeme gücüde işe yarayacak tabii bu konuda. Vale
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Oct 24, 2015 Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads rated it liked it
Recommends it for: die-hard Valek fans
This is an extra available on the author's website here:

Apparently it was written in installments, and at the end of each section, Snyder gave her readers two choices for how things could go in the next section (b/c the endings were rather abrupt and cliffhanger-like).

This was probably the best part, b/c of the two choices given, one would be the prudent, logical thing to do, and the other would be the who-the-hell-cares/guns-blazing option . . .

Every, si
Natalie
May 22, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it
Oooo Valek you are so sweet a bad ass. Despite the fact that you are 33 years old and Yelena is only 19 you are still my fave :D
Inspired Kathy
Feb 24, 2015 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it
A quick short story giving us a chance to see Valek in action. Readers got to weigh in while the story was being written with what they wanted to see happen next. Takes place just after Poison Study ends.

Content: clean
Leanne Bell
May 30, 2010 Leanne Bell rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely short story for all Valek fans! Told from his point of view, and hearing his feelings for Yelena from him was amazing and really revealing. I loved the Study Trilogy and i love Valek, so i loved this :-)
Eunice
Aug 15, 2012 Eunice rated it liked it
The best bit about this book is having Valek on the cover.
plot-line = killing spree. the end.
Paula
Jun 03, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-faves
3.5 stars. Quick, short story.
Sara (Freadom Library)
God, I love Valek much!
Oct 10, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Assassin Study is a free short story that can be read on Maria V. Snyder's website here. The story is set just after the ending of Poison Study and I wouldn't recommend reading it if you are new to the series but it's a fab little addition for fans of the first book. I absolutely loved Valek in Poison Study so was incredibly excited to learn that this story was from his point of view and it was really good to see things from his perspective.

Yelena has left Ixia and is travelling to Sitia to star
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Dec 11, 2010 Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews rated it really liked it
This is a short, 15-page novella with Valek as the main character. Valek is trying to get a handle on the extent of Mogkan’s involvement in General Brazell’s plans to seize control of the Territory of Ixia.

He finds out that there is an assassin after Yelena. Tam, the assassin, has suddenly disappeared taking the order from the commanders execution order with him.

This all happening with Yelena or Irys knowing about it. They are still making their way toward's Yelena's home along with 10 children
Cristy
Feb 06, 2011 Cristy rated it really liked it
ASSASSIN STUDY (Study #1.5) is a quick Novella, following POISON STUDY, to tide the reader over before book two MAGIC STUDY (Study #2). I thoroughly enjoy this short story that focuses on and gives a little better glimpse at Valek as a person and as a warrior.

In the process of cleaning up the mess Brazell and Mogkan have left behind, Ari and Valek discover that an assassin has gone to hunt down Yelena as she travels to her ancestral homeland. Valek rushes to Sitia to intercept the would be assa
Gabriela Tate ♡
Jan 31, 2016 Gabriela Tate ♡ rated it it was ok
Estuve en semana de examenes en la universidad asi que no tuve tiempo de leer nada... peroo al fin acabe y continue en donde me habia quedado, es decir en la triologia de Study.
Esta historia corta tiene 21 hojas, es rapida y entretenida.
Conocemos a Valek un poquito mas.
No tengo mucho que decir de esto, pero siento que si es importante leerla.
Frannie Pan
Dec 24, 2015 Frannie Pan rated it liked it
Shelves: z-2015
Clearly the author didn't put a lot of effort and care in writing this, the differences with the actual first book are monumental but whatever.
It doesn't add anything to the story, it's actually pretty useless, but I read Poison study like what, 2 days ago? And I already am missing all the characters like crazy and this short story was like a cube of sugar to keep me at bay till I get Magic Study this friday :P
Siobhan
Feb 07, 2016 Siobhan rated it liked it
Assassin Study is a nice short story, well linked in to the Study series. Don’t worry, though, it is not a necessity. It is more for fun than anything else.

For me, it wasn’t overly magical but it was still interesting enough. I liked getting to see more of Valek, to understand him better. For me, he has never really been a fully formed character. It is almost as though the air of mystique has been wrapped too tightly, thus preventing him from being truly mysterious and merely making him a perso
Saruuh Kelsey
THIS WAS SO GOOD!! HOW WAS THIS EVEN SO GOOD, IT WAS SO SHORT???? VALEKKKKK.

I need thirty more novellas in Valek POV.
Alexandra
Feb 15, 2016 Alexandra rated it it was ok
It seems this is only available online. I was hoping to load it onto my Nook but it wasn't worth the trouble of converting the file and all that. Luckily for my eyes, it was fairly short.

I guess this was some sort of choose your own adventure type story. It said readers had voted after each chapter for what decision Valek would make. I didn't really like that part. I felt the writing was weaker than what I'm used to from this author. It was nice seeing things from Valek's point of view, but I fe
The Holy Terror
Waste of time.

Here's the plot in case you don't want to bother reading this:

(view spoiler)

There's no re
Ellie
Jul 05, 2015 Ellie rated it liked it
Shelves: a-2015
This was just a cute little five-chapter story about Valek that I read off of the author's website.

The story itself was fine, but it was kinda weird, because after each chapter the readers could make a choice: should Valek do A or B, except that the entire thing was written long before I could cast my vote, and... I don't know. I would've liked it more if it was just one continuous story without the reader interactions.

No Yelena, though. (For the fans who wanted more of her) :)
gutted. 7 39 Oct 08, 2014 09:17PM
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Warcry  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #4)
  • All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)
  • Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6)
  • Spider's Bargain (Elemental Assassin, #0.5)
  • The Automaton's Treasure (The Assassin's Curse #0.6)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • The Lightning God's Wife (Master of Crows, #1.5)
  • Portrait of a Spore: The 3rd Unhidden Story (Starters, #1.5)
  • The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Tributary (River of Time, #3.2)
Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been ...more
More about Maria V. Snyder...

Study (6 books)
  • Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • Magic Study (Study, #2)
  • Fire Study (Study, #3)
  • Shadow Study (Soulfinders #1)
  • Night Study (Soulfinders, #2)
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3)

“He huffed in amusement. She had the unique ability to attract danger even when in benign situations. Perhaps he should amend his plan and just watch her.” 3 likes
“Valek's thoughts returned to Yelena. An icy finger of loneliness touched the emptiness inside him. She was in Sitia, where she needed to be to learn aboout her magical powers, but she had taken his heart with her.
Cursing himself for being melodramatic, he concentrated on the grim task at hand.”
1 likes