Assassin Study (Study, #1.5)

Assassin Study (Study #1.5)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  4,635 ratings  ·  328 reviews
Yelena, the heroine of Maria V. Snyder's stunning debut novel Poison Study, is on her way to her ancestral homeland of Sitia to be reunited with her family and to learn more about her magical powers. An order of execution hangs over her head should she ever return to Ixia. But her true love, Valek, quickly learns that an assassin has taken it upon himself to make sure Yele...more
Published 2008 by MIRA Books

To ask other readers questions about Assassin Study, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assassin Study

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
48th out of 480 books — 930 voters
The Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGraceling by Kristin CashoreAssassin's Apprentice by Robin HobbPoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThrone of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
SF/F Assassins!
30th out of 136 books — 506 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristin
GrowingUp YA

I think I had an excitement attack (this usually involves flailing arms) when my friend told me about Maria V. Snyder's novella, Assassin Study

It took me less than a second to find the short story on Snyder's blog and then it was don't talk to me or I'll murder you, Valek style. Okay, so maybe it was more like this:

Anyhoo, as someone who experiences occasional pangs of Poison Study withdrawal, I definitely had my fix with this novella.

Assassin Study is a very quick read that takes p...more
Merve  Özcan

Photobucket

Photobucket

Valek bu hikayede Yelena'nın bir kiralık katil tarafından takip edildiğini öğreniyor ve tüm işini gücünü bırakıp onun peşinden gidiyor. Gerçekten muhteşem bir adam, seksi birde. içim eriyor resmen.

Yolda tuzağa düşülüyor ve zindandan kaçmasına bir kadın yardım ediyor. Ona çocuğunu alacağım sözü veriyor, çünkü kadının kocası kızına büyü kalkanı koymuş ve onu annesinden uzak tutuyormuş. Valek'in büyüden etkilenmeme gücüde işe yarayacak tabii bu konuda. Vale...more
Carol Chan
After all the 2-star reviews about this, i thought i might be sorely dissapointed after reading the novella, but it was fine. Yes, it was short and completely pointless to the plot but hey, it's about Valek and his POV!!! and because it's short it can't have an omg-its-so-good plot. i liked it.
But that's probably because i love Valek too much for my own good XD
Eunice Biblioceraptor
The best bit about this book is having Valek on the cover.
plot-line = killing spree. the end.
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
This is a short, 15-page novella with Valek as the main character. Valek is trying to get a handle on the extent of Mogkan’s involvement in General Brazell’s plans to seize control of the Territory of Ixia.

He finds out that there is an assassin after Yelena. Tam, the assassin, has suddenly disappeared taking the order from the commanders execution order with him.

This all happening with Yelena or Irys knowing about it. They are still making their way toward's Yelena's home along with 10 children...more
Cristy
ASSASSIN STUDY (Study #1.5) is a quick Novella, following POISON STUDY, to tide the reader over before book two MAGIC STUDY (Study #2). I thoroughly enjoy this short story that focuses on and gives a little better glimpse at Valek as a person and as a warrior.

In the process of cleaning up the mess Brazell and Mogkan have left behind, Ari and Valek discover that an assassin has gone to hunt down Yelena as she travels to her ancestral homeland. Valek rushes to Sitia to intercept the would be assa...more
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
3.5

It was cool to see a story from Valek's perspective, and I kind of liked the "choose your own adventure" aspect of it (the author had polled her reader's to ask how they wanted the story to progress at the time of writing ) - though I was also glad the voting and whatnot was over and I was able to read the story straight through. (Most of the votes went the way I would've gone, anyway. It was kind of amusing, though, the way you could sort of tell the author would take the poll, but them stee...more
Leanne Bell
This was a lovely short story for all Valek fans! Told from his point of view, and hearing his feelings for Yelena from him was amazing and really revealing. I loved the Study Trilogy and i love Valek, so i loved this :-)
Melody To The Harmony
Moc dobré, ale krátké. Už jsem říkala, že je Valek úžasný? :D Chtěla bych ho jako domácího mazlíčka.
Angie
Synopsis: "Yelena, the heroine of Maria V. Snyder's stunning debut novel Poison Study, is on her way to her ancestral homeland of Sitia to be reunited with her family and to learn more about her magical powers. An order of execution hangs over her head should she ever return to Ixia. But her true love, Valek, quickly learns that an assassin has taken it upon himself to make sure Yelena doesn't reach her destination.

As Ixia's chief of security, and a highly skilled assassin himself, can Valek tra
Assassin Study is a free short story that can be read on Maria V. Snyder's website here. The story is set just after the ending of Poison Study and I wouldn't recommend reading it if you are new to the series but it's a fab little addition for fans of the first book. I absolutely loved Valek in Poison Study so was incredibly excited to learn that this story was from his point of view and it was really good to see things from his perspective.

Yelena has left Ixia and is travelling to Sitia to star...more
Teiamarie
There is already so much depth to the Study series that these additional novellas can only enrich them even further. I never tire of Yelena and Valek. Yelena was only mentioned in this particular story but it reinforces Valek's feelings that he had developed for Yelena over the course of Poison Study. It also gives us our first glimpse of the Sandseeds and I like to think that Moon Man was the one leading that group. :) While Yelena doesn't know what Valek has done for her, seeing things from hi...more
Indigo
May 30, 2013 Indigo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love Valek
Recommended to Indigo by: GoodReads
Shelves: fantasy
Love love love this!

Real rating: 3.5 stars

Short and brusque wording, and its simple and to the point. Not much descriptive detail, and if there was more then I would be able to bring it up to more of 5 stars. But it was a very nice peek into how Valek sees the world and what he did to help make sure that the assassin wouldn't reach Yelena.

I did want better depth into Valek's thinking and there were some parts that could've been explored more satisfactorily. As well as lots more descriptive deta...more
Meli
Una historia corta sobre Valek que nos deja bien en claro quién es. ¡Me encantó!
Ojala fuera más largo, y me hubiera gustado ver cómo Valek cumple con su promesa, pero estuvo muy, muy bien. Un buen complemento para la historia, con un par de guiños que me encantaron y que nos va poniendo en tono para lo que pasa en Magic.
Safae
May 11, 2011 Safae rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 100
a short story set after Poison study..it's really short and a real fun to read .we were spared all the details that could actually ruin any book..and this one was like an adventure it could even be could One of Valek's adventures :p..the whole chase was fun , quick and resumed . there was some action , some cleverness from both sides and Tam is actually a pretty interesting in this book, it was like he represented the -what if version of VALEK -what if Valek had turned out to be evil ? he would'...more
Gunne
Hmm. I think I would much rather read about Valek than to read Valek's account. Otherwise this is an OK short, except it doesn't add much to the story, if at all. You won't miss anything if you don't read this, and I would rather read Valek's notes on poisons, like a personal handbook (like J.K Rowling's Guide to Fantastical Beasts and Where to Find Them), if you know what I mean, with footnotes about Yelena and her reactions to them.
Ally
A cute little novella detailing some of Valek's behind the scene work protecting Yelena. The writing wasn't as great as Poison Study. It was nice and short, and very concise, with an easily solvable plot.
missART
This was a short and sweet novella. I felt it lack a little depth (I'm not quite sure what I mean here) but something was missing in the soup. It was good fun either way! I loved seeing things officially from Valek's POV as he's one of my favorite characters. Definitely a must read for any Study fan!
Emma
I can tell I'm going to like this series very very much.

Valek is so bad ass! I like how this novella is in his POV.
It kind of gives a little bit on insight into his feelings for Yelana.
I just love him so much!! <3
Echo
Valek was so cold and calculating in Poison Study, it seemed silly that he took careless moves. His skill is in tactics, and he's in charge of the entire intelligence force in Ixia. To top it off, the love between him and Yelena built so slowly during the first book it seems a cop out that he is so worried, knowing how capable she is and she's with the one of the best magicians in the world.

The reason he seems to make such foolish choices? Maria Snyder let readers vote on what course of action...more
Shanna
I really liked getting to know Valek a lil better, but I have to say that I still think that he is still cold. The author needs to work on creating more feelings and emotions in her characters.
Angela
Nice little story about Valek. Short but lets the readers explore more of this character and see things from his eyes. Connects well into the next books in the series :)
Timmysparks `~`Blahzin Phyre`~`
I like this short story. I really love that no matter how loyal Valek is to the Commander he would do absolutely anything for Yelena. Loving the series.
Marina
I don't know, I guess I was just expecting more. It seemed more like a filler than anything else, maybe even a chapter the author decided to delete because it was too excessive and unnecessary to the story. I think I would have liked it better if Valek did something completely unexpected, to really show how much Yelena had changed him. Heck, I would have even loved to see a simple seen of Valek sitting alone carving one of his statues, letting his thoughts take him away, or maybe even recall mem...more
Carrie
A short story from Valek's point of view. More Valek is never a bad thing. It just furthered my excitement for Magic Study.
Jessica B
Great little short story about Valek. He really showed his true feelings about Yelena. One of the best shorts I've read!
Michelle
Great short story with an unexpected ending. I love Valek's character, so more of him is always a good thing.
Doğa Aydın
Ah Valek, ah... Özlemişim gerizekalıyı.
Power Study'yi de okumak istiyorum. GELİYORUM ARI VE JANCO!
Jane
Feb 09, 2010 Jane marked it as to-read
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
The second that I saw Maria V Snyder had a novella out it was on my kindle, and the second I realised it was from Valek’s POV my head snapped down and I was engrossed. I can’t get enough of Valek the Study Series and Assassin Study was bound to be a hit. The way that fans had voted on the outcome of the chapters was actually a great idea and I only wish I wasn’t too late to include myself in it.

They also made the right decisions because some fans can know a character as well as the author does a...more
gutted. 6 29 Apr 14, 2014 12:58PM
  • The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)
  • Beneath the Surface (The Emperor's Edge, #5.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5)
  • The Invitation: Gathering Bonus Short
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Resist (Possession, #0.5)
  • A Day in the Afterlife of Tod (Soul Screamers, #4.1)
  • Ash's Letter to Meghan (The Iron Fey, #3.6)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been...more
More about Maria V. Snyder...
Poison Study (Study, #1) Magic Study (Study #2) Fire Study (Study #3) Touch of Power (Healer, #1) Inside Out (Insider, #1)

“Valek's thoughts returned to Yelena. An icy finger of loneliness touched the emptiness inside him. She was in Sitia, where she needed to be to learn aboout her magical powers, but she had taken his heart with her.
Cursing himself for being melodramatic, he concentrated on the grim task at hand.”
0 likes
“He huffed in amusement. She had the unique ability to attract danger even when in benign situations. Perhaps he should amend his plan and just watch her.” 0 likes