Start by marking “Churchill and America” as Want to Read:
Churchill and America

Churchill and America

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In this stirring book, Martin Gilbert tells the intensely human story of Winston Churchill's profound connection to America, a relationship that resulted in an Anglo-American alliance that has stood at the center of international relations for more than a century.

Winston Churchill, whose mother, Jennie Jerome, the daughter of a leading American entrepreneur, was born in B
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2005 by Tantor Media (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Churchill and America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Churchill and America

Mikey B.
Over one half of this book focuses on the World War II years. Martin Gilbert has a style of “only the facts”. There is little probing beneath the surface as the book quotes Churchill enormously and also uses letters sent to Churchill. I was, for instance, hoping to find some enlightenment as to why Churchill did not attend Roosevelt’s funeral, but found virtually none. Churchill travelled continuously during the war years – so why did he not go to the U.S. to at least meet Roosevelt’s successor ...more
Nick
Martin Gilbert wrote the definitive Churchill biography, and this book is more or less a spin-off of that gigantic effort. But it's worth spending time with, because it turns out that Churchill's relationships with his mother, America, Roosevelt, and a number of Americans who mentored the great Prime Minister were critical to the outcome of WW II and thus history as we think we know it.

What Gilbert brings out best is the provisional nature of the early war years for Churchill. To put it simply,
Mardel Fehrenbach
Churchill and America is a book that had been on my reading stack for quite some time. Truth is, I had been putting it off, thinking that I just didn't have the focus to really concentrate on it. I have read part o Gilbert's biography of Churchill, which is excellent, but Gilbert can be a bit dogged and I wasn't sure I was really up to it, much as I admire Churchill. Well, I was mistaken. The book is fantastically interesting, and it is not at all a classic biography, as it is for the most part ...more
Andrew
This book would be a poor introduction to the life of Winston Churchill, one of the lions of the British Empire. But it explains quite well how Churchill was able to profit financially as an author from his close relationship with a wide variety of Americans. And it explains in detail his courtship of the United States as an ally in World War II and in the Cold War that followed, where "Never be separated from the Americans" became his mantra in the post-war era.

The author, Martin Gilbert, is Ch
Dan
Biographies many times is written solely on the dates, times, and events of the "what happened" in a persons life but can leave the personal side of the person's life open to authors interpretation. In "Churchill and America" you receive the full personal side of Churchill and their reaction to him from their own words. Gilbert showed his extensive research in uncovering the archived writings and words of Churchill and his contemporaries to build his narrative. I found his ability to build the s ...more
Liss
Sep 06, 2008 Liss rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
Mike
"If you were my husband, I'd put poison in your coffee," is what Nancy Astor told Winston Churchill. "If you were my wife, I would drink it," is what he replied.

Was recently talking to some friends about what superpower you'd want if you could only have one... deep, philosophical stuff. I think I might want to always have a quick, nasty comeback ready.

Really interesting book. Didn't know Churchill's mom was American. His speeches, foresight and leadership were impressive and sorely missed these
Relstuart
This book explores Churchill's relationship with America. Both his biological, financial, and political. It's not a full spectrum biography and really sticks to it's narrow scope. A bit dry but struck me as well written and researched. Not a bad read but for the general reader who simply wants to know more about Churchill this one may be to narrowly focused. Cheers.
Mk100
This book has all the classic Martin Gilbert pleasures and drawbacks. As for the pleasures, it is once again fantastically interesting. Gilbert knows more about Churchill than any living writer, unsurprising given that Gilbert has written most of the volumes of Churchill's authorized biography (Winston's son Randolph wrote the first two volumes) and edited many volumes of his documents, as well as a one-volume treatment.

Gilbert's style is in effect to walk the reader through a calendar-like reci
Tammy
The WWII years make up the greater part of the book, which pleased me immensely. I enjoyed the English perspective on the war and reading the personal correspondence of Churchill as he attempted save his nation.
Charley
I started this book first as a hardbound and finished when it, with a start over, on my Kindle. As is usual with books like this I read in spurts putting it down for long periods of time then picking up again when the mood strikes me again. Well worth the read any way you chose to read it. Gilbert as the official biographer of Churchill draws on the vast amount of information he has collected about Churchill over the decades provide the reader an informative history of Churchill's long relations ...more
Gary
Excellent insight into the man and his relationship with the US
Thomas Dattoli
audible.com version

This was a good listen/read with good perspective on the historical aspects of Winston Churchill and the USA. Historically, this perspective and relationship is very important to understand. Without Winston, the UK would probably have never stood up to fascism and the outcome of WWII would have been dramatically different. More importantly, it was Churchill, using his influence on the USA that helped create programs like lend/lease supporting the UK during the times they stood
Lori
Excellent content. The narrator was not my favorite. Martin Gilbert has all the facts but his writing is not as interesting to listen to as William Manchester's The Last Lion Volume 1.
Gilbert gives all the info, but Manchester's version paints a broader picture of the times the events took place in.
This is definitely a Churchill Book to read if you are interested in all things Churchill.
Carolyne
favorite subject yet I found the author's writing style dry. This made the book very difficult to read though I know the subject well. I had been looking forward to the specificity of focus this book was to have covered and feel disappointed I was unable to move past my inability to relate as a reader to how it was written.
Shaun
This is the history of Winston Churchill and his relationship with the United States of America. He was born to a British father and an American mother. This book details the relationship between the UK and the USA during WWI & WWII. It is an excellent book if you want to learn more about a great leader, Winston Churchill.
Lief
Wow! Never really knew much about Churchill, but I really enjoyed listening to this audiobook and getting the British view of WWI, WWII and early bits of the Cold War. Definitely recommend.
Gayle
I love Winnie and find his strength appropriate for today. This book tells of his great love and relationship with America. Did you know that Churchill's mother was American?
Adam DeVille, Ph.D.
Gilbert is of course the doyen of Churchill historians and biographers today, and this book is at his usual fine standards. Fascinating and enjoyable.
Gordon Francisco
Great read - certainly shows Churchill's greatness. Interesting how Churchill's influence and prominence came so early in America.
Glenn Walker
I've been on a Churchill kick as of late. This book details more than the FDR Churchill WWII years.
Annmbray
Great book. Lots of history told thru the life of an amazing man!
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • The Hinge of Fate (The Second World War, #4)
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Winston Churchill
  • Light This Candle: The Life & Times of Alan Shepard--America's First Spaceman
  • The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan
  • Gandhi and Churchill: The Epic Rivalry that Destroyed an Empire and Forged Our Age
  • Heinrich Himmler: The Sinister Life of the Head of the SS and Gestapo
  • Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World
  • Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend
  • Churchill
  • Abraham Lincoln: Redeemer President
  • The Third Reich in Power (The History of the Third Reich, #2)
  • Warlord
  • Troublesome Young Men: The Rebels Who Brought Churchill to Power and Helped Save England
  • Khrushchev: The Man and His Era
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • The Life and Times of Chaucer
Sir Martin John Gilbert is a British historian and Fellow of Merton College, University of Oxford. He is the author of over eighty books, including works on the Holocaust and Jewish history. Gilbert is a leading historian of the modern world, and is known as the official biographer of Sir Winston Churchill.
More about Martin Gilbert...
Churchill: A Life The First World War: A Complete History The Holocaust The Second World War: A Complete History The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the Holocaust