Start by marking “The Diary of Laura's Twin” as Want to Read:
The Diary of Laura's Twin

The Diary of Laura's Twin (Holocaust Rememberance)

Laura is about to celebrate her Jewish coming of age ceremony, called a Bat Mitzvah, when she is -twinned- with Sara Gittler, a young girl her own age who was imprisoned by the Nazis in the Warsaw Ghetto during the Holocaust. Laura is to learn about Sara's life and then share her Bat Mitzvah with her -twin- by speaking of her at the ceremony. Sara's diary unfolds with the ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Second Story Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Diary of Laura's Twin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diary of Laura's Twin

Emily M
Sep 03, 2013 Emily M rated it really liked it
The Diary of Laura's twin beautifully entwines two stories, one modern and one during wartime, both however, displaying heroic acts of faith. Laura, a twelve year old girl busily preparing for her Bat Mitzvah, is dismayed when her rabbi adds yet another task for her to do. Laura tried desperately to come up with excuses to not to her assignment, when her rabbi makes her read about a Jew her age who lived during the Holocaust. Rabbi Gardiner gives Laura the phone number of an old woman who suppos ...more
Heather
Jul 03, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
This is a touching Holocaust story for younger readers. Laura a voice that is real and heartfelt, as is Sara's through her diary. Photographs and historical facts are included throughout the book, making it a useful teaching device as well as a link to the past and the present in a captivating story. A worthy read.
Courtney
It wasnt' bad, but the writing style didn't really draw me in. It seemed a little too forced. It was still an interesting story, though, and the author added some mini-biographies in the back about some people from the time period, some of whom are mentioned in the story.
Madelyn
Jul 31, 2015 Madelyn rated it really liked it
Interesting storyline, but the MC Laura does get annoying at times. Other than that, it's a great read.
Janie
Jun 22, 2009 Janie rated it really liked it
It does a great job of bringing relevance to the Holocaust, but it was a bit boring in parts. Several of the characters were under-developed, and parts of Laura's life just weren't that interesting.
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Laura is just weeks away from celebrating her Bat Mitzvah. She has prayers to memorize, assignments to finish at school, an outfit to pick out and now Rabbi Gardiner wants her to take part in another project – a twinning project. Laura is to learn about a child who lived during the Holocaust and then honour her memory during her own Bat Mitzvah. Reluctantly, Laura goes to meet with Mrs. Mandelcorn and is given a diary written by Sara Gittler, a thirteen-and-a- half-year-old girl who lived in the ...more
Westcoast_girl
Jun 13, 2013 Westcoast_girl rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young people first starting to learn about the holocaust
I have read many young adult books about the holocaust through my youth. This one was sweet, but nothing special. That is, until my younger cousin picked it up whilst visiting. She is a girl who does not read. Yes, she knows how to and does well on her book reports and school. But she does not pore over the shelves of the library, buy books with her birthday money, or rush home after school to pick up where she left off.
However, with a 3-hour flight facing her the next day, she decided she want
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Rebecca Wells for TeensReadToo.com

Laura Wyman has only three weeks to go before her Bat Mitzvah when she is assigned a special "twinning" project. She must read the diary of Sara Gittler, a young girl imprisoned in the Warsaw Ghetto during the Holocaust. Sara never had the chance to celebrate her own Bat Mitzvah, so it is Laura's task to share hers. She will honor her "twin" by speaking of Sara at her ceremony.

Though Laura is at first reluctant to undertake this project, she quickly
Edith Wood
Aug 19, 2013 Edith Wood rated it liked it
It was good I enjoyed it. It was a bit to focused on the modern side of things but I suppose that was the point. I don't think I changed my opinion and I don't think I will always remember it but it was interesting to see how the author portrayed a modern teenage girls perspective on religion in comparison to a 1930's 1940's teenage girls perspective on religion. Arguably they were both going through different situations at the time when they " met " but I do believe if they had of known each ot ...more
JustOneMoreBook.com
Oct 31, 2008 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Musings and melodrama of a modern twelve year old, careful chronicling of a young prisoner of the Warsaw Ghetto and dozens of potent photographs stitch together the present and the past in this engaging and educational look at bullying, bigotry and backbone.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

Madison
Jun 22, 2010 Madison rated it really liked it
This book is a great read about the holocaust. It tells the story of a girl who is about to have her Bat Mitzvah, and is assigned to learn about someone in the holocaust and honor them at her ceremony. My only complaint is that sometimes it's hard to keep the present world and the past world straight, but over all it's awesome!
Hannah
Apr 11, 2011 Hannah rated it it was amazing
An AMAZING book about a Jewish girl who is doing a study on the Jews that died back in the day. While doing this she descovers more about herself than she ever thought she would and made an incredible friend.

A sweet book that will make you laught, cry and just smile the whole way through.
Coco Chanel
Jul 18, 2014 Coco Chanel rated it liked it
A Beautiful Story!
Sannasue
May 02, 2009 Sannasue rated it liked it
This would be a good book to introduce older kids to the holocaust. You get the awfulness of their situation without it being too graphic.
Carmelita
Carmelita rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Jasmin
Jasmin rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2013
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2017
Donna Perino
Donna Perino rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Maya
Maya rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Read_instead
Read_instead rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Natalia Bogatyreva
Natalia Bogatyreva rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Victoria Fry
Victoria Fry rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Saskia
Saskia rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Leasha
Leasha rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Regan
Regan rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
Hajeong
Hajeong rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Tya
Tya rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2010
Rosemarie Boll
Rosemarie Boll rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2010
Sophieginger
Sophieginger rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: These need combining, please. 13 37 Sep 06, 2012 09:52PM
  • What World is Left
  • I Was a Child of Holocaust Survivors
  • The Ark
  • Alek: From Sudanese Refugee to International Supermodel
  • Dear Jo: The Story of Losing Leah ... and Searching for Hope.
  • Back Home
  • Fragments of Isabella: A Memoir of Auschwitz
  • Erika's Story
  • Exiles from the War: The War Guest Diary of Charlotte Mary Twiss, Guelph, Ontario, 1940 (Dear Canada)
  • Daughter of War
  • Rose Blanche
  • Grace
  • A Season for Miracles
  • Survivor: Auschwitz, the Death March and my Fight for Freedom
  • Sisterland
  • Let Me Whisper You My Story
  • The Secret of the Village Fool
  • Turned Away: The World War II Diary of Devorah Bernstein (Dear Canada)

Holocaust Rememberance (9 books)
  • The Secret of Gabi's Dresser (Gabi Klein, #1)
  • The Night Spies (Gabi Klein, #2)
  • Clara's War