Start by marking “What Matters: The World's Preeminent Photojournalists and Thinkers Depict Essential Issues of Our Time” as Want to Read:

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  8 reviews
For more than a century, photography has revealed truths, exposed lies, advanced the public discourse, and inspired people to demand change. Socially conscious pioneers with cameras transformed the world—and that legacy lives on in this eye-opening, thought-provoking, and (we hope) action-inducing book. Like Jacob Riis’s How the Other Half Lives, Rachel Carson’s Silent Spr ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about What Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Matters

Brian Page
Eighteen superb essays: and while it’s nearly criminal to single out one for special comment, I will anyway. Fawaz Gerges’s essay, “Global Jihad” alone makes it worthwhile to chase down a copy of this book. Gerges is penetrating in his analysis of the West’s confrontation with Islamic fundamentalism and makes one weep for the lost opportunities for peace. As for the other 17 essays, they also will make you weep.
Pat Loughery
Absolutely fantastic examples of photojournalism and photo essays which show the power of image and information to invite us to see the hard realities all around our world.
Rachel
A prior employer routinely set up speaking engagements with their award-winning photojournalists to talk to employees about their work and the issues they encountered. I loved attending those lectures and this book seems to capture some of that spirit.
Judith
What a wonderfully inspiring book. Magnificent photography and moving journalism covering topics that we would all like to ignore.
Moira
Eloquently written and photographed; title says it all. An important read, especially for young people.
MB
Feb 07, 2012 MB rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone (except children)
Recommended to MB by: ILL request from another library
Very powerful photographs. I don't think you can see these pictures and not be moved.
Joy
Informative. Powerful photos. Great for the classroom.
Jennifer Marie Cambra
This book is a household essential.
Liz Jensen
Liz Jensen marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Cheney
Cheney marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
My Tam
My Tam marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Tyler Gampp
Tyler Gampp marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Andy Choong
Andy Choong marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Jan 07, 2014
Umisha Patel
Umisha Patel marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
KRISHNA M RAVURI
KRISHNA M RAVURI marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Roma
Roma marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Lora
Lora marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
One Year Off: Leaving It All Behind for a Round-the-World Journey with Our Children William & Catherine: Their Romance and Royal Wedding in Photographs A Day in the Life of Africa: Photographed by the World's Leading Photojournalists on One Day Christmas in America Nelson Mandela: A Life in Photographs