Mac Roscope

Mac Roscope

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,984 ratings  ·  70 reviews
One of Piers Anthony's most loved works! A great interwoven exciting story told by one of science fiction's greatest authors.
Published (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Mac Roscope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mac Roscope

Stephen
In case my 5 star rating is insufficient to persuade you to try this book, I prepared the following comparison scale to chart the exact amount of awesomeness contained in the story. Photobucket

5.0 Stars. I think we all have those books that we absolutely love that just never seem to get the attention that we are feel deep down in our giblets they deserve. I call these my literary babies. Well this is one of my babies**.

** I have previously reviewed two others Liege-Killer and Heroes Die which I am mentio...more
Manny
There's this trope you come across every now and then in science-fiction books which annoys the hell out of anyone who's actually interested in language. You have some supergenius type who's supposed to know everything, and the way the author chooses to show you how clever they are is to have them demonstrate their knowledge of a word in some more or less obscure language.

There was a fine example in Babel-17, which I reread last month. Rydra Wong, the gorgeous supergenius poet and linguist, has...more
Zach
One of the worst science fiction books I've ever read. Hard to follow, clumsy language, ridiculous dialogue, long and interminably boring tangents into astrology... there isn't much to like here. The central mystery of the book was just compelling enough to get through to the end, but the revelation wasn't all that satisfying and the denouement was very bland.
Galen
Here is a review that I posted on Amazon.com in Dec. 2004:

"I am rereading this book after a number of years, having first read it some time in the mid 1970's. Again I find that it is one of those books that changes how one thinks about things, and a work that can be appreciated on multiple levels.

First, it can change one's view of what's possible within the genre of science fiction. It impressively weaves a tapestry from such diverse threads as music, mathematics, classic American literature, ph...more
Greg Frederick
I was told that Piers Anthony writes silly sci-fi, which I've never read before. Then I ran into a couple of his works at a thrift store and thought I'd give them a try. This is the first one I started reading, and boy was it surprising! This is not a silly book, and ended up becoming one of my all-time favorite sci-fi reads. Macroscope is so creative, well spun, and perfectly paced that once the ball got rolling it was really hard to put it down.

So apparently Piers Anthony deserves some serious...more
MissingNorth
Loose and rambling with annoying stereotypical characters that made me think it was written in the 1950s when women were only either good wives or good-for-now. It also struggles with identity, starting in pseudo noir then fumbling ineptly into the fantastic, finally coming out crudely and unsatisfyingly scrambled.

If this had been the first book by Piers Anthony I had read, I would never pick up another of his books. I love science-fiction. Love fantasy, the absurd, the fantastic. Macroscope bel...more
Gary
I agree with Stephen.... nuff said.
Awet Moges
I started reading this primarily for research purposes: something to do with language that destroyed language, like a snow crash. However, I was pleased with this entry in classic scifi, and thought it far superior to Anthony's other work (incarnations of immortality series). However I had trouble getting by the main character's (intentionally) dull presence, and his slightly overcooked sexist views of another main character. Thankfully this archaic attitude declines as the plot chugs along towa...more
Jim Hoff
From a general summary of Macroscope, you might get the impression that Piers Anthony took the "throw everything in but the kitchen sink" approach. After all, the book is bursting with ideas and oddities. Just some its component elements include astrology, ancient history, Sidney Lanier's poetry, a grand history of a multifarious universe, and the wars it endured, mind destroying beams, a project to create genetically perfect geniuses. And on... From these few sentences alone, you might think it...more
Peter
Mar 13, 2011 Peter added it
A Wild Soup of Sprouts, Genius, and Astrology: A long, long time ago when the world was young and Anthony was a fresh new face in the science fiction world, he blessed us with works of power, incredible imagination, great originality, depth and meaning. This is one of those very early works, and by some measures it may be his best, or very nearly so, standing with his Chthon and Orn as a seminal work that introduced ideas that are still fresh and very different from the standard run-of-the-mill...more
Jlawrence
I'm most familiar with Piers Anthony from his light-hearted fantasy series Xanth that I read as a youngling nerd, so it was very interesting to read this early, much more serious and ambitious science fiction novel of his. I would like to give it four stars for the many cool ideas in it (using planets and moons as spaceships to punch through hyperspace; an intergalactic signal that if you're intelligent enough to understand leads you down an inevitable logical chain that burns your brain out, lo...more
Ally Kaye
This would be getting one star if the ideas in it weren't so interesting. The book itself is both racist, sexist, and homophobic. And I know, I know it's a product of its time but that doesn't make it any more pleasant to read. I spent half the book wondering if Anthony had ever really talked to a woman and the other half knowing he hadn't. So I guess if you don't mind women who are written like they're from some alien species there are some good parts to Macroscope I just don't think they're wo...more
Bryan457
This probably deserved another star, but I just wasn't in the mood for some of it.
The concept of the macroscope really got my interest.
The ending was also quite amazing.
The high gravity adaptation and FTL travel methods were a little over the top for me, but interesting nonetheless.
I got very bogged down in the astrology and dream-sequences.
If you liked the galactic alien civilization parts, you might like The Genesis Quest, Second Genesis or Startide Rising.
Paul
9/10

Takes Anthony's work to a whole new level. A philosophical and intellectual journey that illustrates what Anthony is capable of when he puts his mind to more serious work.

Awarded at the time and deserved it.

Should be a canon of the genre but often (and unjustly) misses out.
Phil
Ever read a 20 year old sci-fi book in 1989 at the age of 19 while under the influence of hallucinogens on a regular basis, then spend the next twenty plus years remembering it as this mind blowing experience? No? You're lucky. I came across a copy of this at an estate sale and was so excited to read it again, remembering it as this amazing book that had so much to say about the universe and how it worked. While I respect other novels by Piers Anthony, the reality is that this was a rambling, se...more
Robin
Interesting and quite enjoyable. Some scientists come across a signal from outer space that appears to be a instruction manual containing all of the knowledge from multiple extrasolar civilizations. But there is a problem - a destroyer signal causes anyone who tries to view the information is turned into a virtual vegetable. Enter Ivo, a young man who had been part of an experiment to create ultrasmart humans. He figures out how to access the data. Afterward, circumstances dictate that he and fo...more
Dave Peticolas

While Anthony is known more for his fantasy work, he also wrote sci-fi. I don't remember this one at all, though. According to the Amazon reviews, it is much better than his later works.

Ms_prue
I'm not far in to it yet, partly because the formatting of the Kindle version is sub-par and partly because I'm incredibly allergic to the portrayal of Afra, Penthouse Pet to the Mensa Set. Every time she reappears and I have to hear again about what she's wearing and how Ivo can't breathe, he's so in awe of her beauty, I have to put the book down again for four days.
17/6/12: I finally finished! And then I made the mistake of reading the afterword to the Kindle edition. 30% of that afterword is...more
"KayFey"
Yep. Before his writing became too silly with the 'Xanth' series, Piers Anthony was writing stuff like this. Mind blown to infinitesimal pieces with this book!
Nicki
I liked the style of writing of this book as well as the characters. The concept was something so unusual. I'm trying not to give too much away about the story, but for me it was in parts similar to Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide (I guess as far as time-travel and the unexpected goes). I read it many, many years ago and would love to get a copy and read it again. I remember some good references to astrology, which resonated with me when I read it. I must have been about 18 I'm guessing.

Will t...more
Aharon
Back when Piers Anthony used to concentrate all of his ideas in one single novel rather than spreading them out over a 19 book series he wrote Macroscope. Then he probably signed a megabook deal and novels like this no longer made economic sense for him. That's my suspicion anyways. There's some weird pop70s new age culture in here towards the end -- most of Anthony's novels seem to be vulnerable to these ideas, but on the whole most of htis book is just brilliant science fiction. I've never rea...more
Glenn Schmelzle
Using Speed of Light to our advantage.
Smokey
This book was difficult to swallow, not only on philosophical grounds, but on scientific ones as well. In addition, the author's not inconsiderable talent was just not enough to make up for a literally unbelievable storyline.

Had Piers Anthony taken pains to portray Macroscope as though it were set in some other universe, or under different rules from our own, I think I'd have enjoyed it more. His effort to portray it as one of OUR possible futures, however, was mostly a failure.
Bryan
I read this book 25 years ago, and back then it made a stunning impression on me. As an experiment, I decided to read it again to see how my thoughts and tastes had evolved. Sadly, "Macroscope" has not stood the test of time. A pretentious jumbled mess of astrology, eugenics and Civil War history, this book aspires to be an epic but falls a long way short. Horrendously dated (complete with undercurrents of racism and utterly overt sexism), bloated and rambling. A big disappointment.
Sandy
My fav scifi book since I read it in ... sadly I've forgotten the year now, probably around 2000. Really worth 10 stars.
VERY imaginative
Really need to read again ... but it's so l-o-n-g ...
I love love love books that really change my perceptions, my issue is I can never read this book for the first time again ;(

PS - I probably ignored the sexisim, reading since the 1950's caused me to learn to ignore that bullshit LOL
MarvV
Aug 30, 2008 MarvV rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MarvV by: Another technican
It's an interesting concept book. I'm rereading this. Originally read it many years ago. And it was one of several reads that brought me back to reading Science Fiction. Rereading it and it is still a good read. And yes I think it's much better than a trip to Xanth although I do those too.

This is probably the third time I've read this somehow it isn't as profound as the first two times. Still well worth the read.
Chris Gager
I read about one sci-fi or detective novel every fifth book or so. Just because... This one's very typical. Lots of interesting ideas about the future and space travel with characters right out of daytime soaps. Another note: so far I've put up about five books and the best average rating is for "The Three Edwards". HUH????? Better than Cormac M. and Willa C.? That's kind of discouraging.
Chryss
This is my favorite sci-fi novel of all time, even above Asimov, Heinlein and all the other greats. It's good hard science with a bit of astrology thrown in. Scientists are orbiting the earth in the Macroscope and, through events, must steal it. A bit of political intrigue there. I highly recommend it. I think I've read it four or five times, at least. Enjoy, if you give it a go.
Eye-shuh
I'm not going to pretend like I know what is going on in this book most of the time, but there is just something about it that has sent me back to it a billion times. BILLION. I absolutely love it. I love the characters, I love the crazy technology and ideas, I love the impossible situations they get into, I love the contest and resolution at the end. It is worth every minute.
  • Project Pope
  • The Enemy Stars
  • The Whole Man
  • Doorways in the Sand
  • When Harlie Was One
  • Time Storm
  • Shadrach in the Furnace
  • Mother of Storms
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • Radix (Radix, #1)
  • Rogue Moon
  • Mindbridge (Collector's Edition)
  • On Wings of Song
  • Courtship Rite
  • The Computer Connection
  • Davy

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm...more
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)