Start by marking “The Far Side Gallery 2” as Want to Read:
The Far Side Gallery 2

The Far Side Gallery 2 (The Far Side Gallery Anthologies #2)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  6,881 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Cartoons from BRIDE OF THE FAR SIDE, VALLEY OF THE FAR SIDE and IT CAME FROM THE FAR SIDE.
Unknown Binding, 192 pages
Published May 25th 1989 by Not Avail (first published September 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Side Gallery 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Side Gallery 2

TK421
In an age when everything seems sacred, immune to jests and teasing, a cartoonist dares to push the envelope, and gives Readers a small sanctuary to retreat to--actually, he ultimately reminds us of a time when nothing was sacred and everything was funny. (I think I made sense there.) Enter Gary Larson. (If you have never heard of Gary Larson you need to stop reading this and go immediately to a busy street and start playing in it.) His satirical humor illuminates the many problems society so du ...more
Philip
The humor is in the details.

I'm not sure how Gary Larson gets away with all he gets away with. Cannibalism, infant death, suicide, nuclear war, torture, friendly fire, people with big noses... he pokes fun at them all. As someone with a relatively large schnooz, who is also becoming more liberal, I take offense to at least two of these. How does he get away with it all? How? I mean, buddy - there's the line - WAAAAYYY back there. You're not just edging over it. You're two states past it. And it
Stephen
5.0 stars. Another priceless collection of Far Side cartoons. As I previously stated in my review of the First Far Side Gallery, The Far Side series is the funniest (and most clever) cartoon series ever put on paper and Gary Larson is a comic genius.
Inder Suri
"When asked to describe the famous glass of water, there can only be 4 answers and they will reflect the character of the person, they are: a) half empty. b) half full. c) half empty, no...half full, ...I mean empty, ...what was the question? d) hey, I ordered a cheeseburger!"
-- Gary Larson

Welcome to the bizarre and twisted world of Gary Larson.
I will still stick to what I said before for The Far side Gallery(part1)

"This is some serious shit. Filled with Dark Humor and Situational Irony.
Highly
Mike (the Paladin)
4 or 5? I finally went with 5. While I suppose Gary Larson may not suite everybody (and may be an aquired taste for some) he is flat funny. These oddly twisted and surreal views of the world haven't been equaled before or since. Staying power.
Bookworm Smith
From start to finish all laughs. Which is good, because that is the point of this 'book' right? The odds are good you'll find a good chuckle on every page, seeing as there are on average 4 comics per page. What I found interesting was over the hundereds of 'funnies' in the collection, there was really only a small range of humour; animals in human situations (funny), violence or implied violence (funny), & cruel situations (funniest)...actually, if you take a step back this does not sound fu ...more
Mark
Another large collection from Larson, collating several of the smaller books, this contains cartoons from 1980 through to 1984 (including one of the earliest, where a Mexican firing squad is interrupted by a woman in a blazing building who screams “fire!”). The quality holds up throughout, though the stand-outs for me are “Randy’s goin’ down!” as a cat operates a rat dispenser, astronauts tumbling out of their capsule and all shouting “First!”, vultures making sure their prey dies with the aid o ...more
Kurtbg
More of the skewed viewpoint of Gary Larson's comics from the eighties.
Anything human is juxtaposed into the animal kingdom, and vice versa, poking holes at what it means to be human and animal - and many times finding the ticklish places often followed with a humorous 'oh, yeah."
David Ward
The Far Side Gallery 2 (The Far Side Gallery Anthologies #2) by Gary Larson (Andrews, McMeel, & Parker 1986)(741.5973). Another collection of "The Far Side" daily comics by Gary Larson. My rating: 7/10, finished 7/30/14.
Beau Johnston
Sure, you could get all worked-up and offended by Gary Larson's work. But on the other hand, you could come to the realization that nothing in this book was aimed at you personally, and just enjoy the book for what it is.
Travelin
People have referred to me as a "cartoon psychic". At least I think they have. I often know what a comedian is thinking.

So, of all the excellent Far Side cartoons I've seen as a young man, my mind always circles around the cartoon "Beware of Doug". I used to think that the genius of the Far Side is that cartoon characters have exceptionally wide eyes and therefore long reaction shots.

But I've recently read that Gary Larson credited growing up with a cruel older brother for his "paranoid sense of
Fox
Oh, books of my past.

I've had The Far Side Gallery books for as long as I can remember. I grew up reading these comics and giggling to myself. Every time I come back to them I understand some of the more 'adult' and scientific jokes and puns and the comics only get more enjoyable. This collection of five books is fantastic, and brings together all (?) or at least a significant amount of Gary Larson's work.
Tabi Rae
The second in Gary Larson's The Far Side Gallery, and also highly recommended. Very funny, and even informative, and a little wacky, these will definitely keep you entertained.
Indika De Silva
Brilliant.....

Stephen King's introduction is kinda awesome too...
Carla Arcilla
Deliciously witty. Extremely funny. Enough said.
Mark
Because it's awesome, that's why.
Amber the Human
I was quite pleased to find this at my library. While I feel confident that I have seen all of these cartoons before, even memorized some of them, it is nice to be able to go through and actually make sure that I've read each book. If I had to guess I would say that I haven't, but now that I'm able to easily keep track of this, perhaps I will before the year is out!
John
I remember being introduced to the Far Side by a very good friend after a heavy session of serious alcohol...

I know that it's nothing to be proud of [but it felt good at the time], yet I have often wondered if my state of alcohol-induced giggles was entirely down to the Far Side...

ANSWER = IT WAS....

The books are outstandingly still funny.
Ashwise
Some of it was funny, some of it was not. The author had an obsession with cavemen, cats vs dog, and scientists.
Molly
As always, Gary Larson delivers. The Far Side Gallery is funny, provocative, and insightful, like all of Larson's books. Unfortunately, as with most comics strips, it's either all or nothing, love it or hate it. If you like Larson, then you are guaranteed to love this book. If you don't care for Larson...why are you here?
M-dawg
This just reinforces the fact that Gary Larson is perhaps the greatest comic writer out there. Not only are the jokes hilarious, but many of them are smart too. It's refreashing to see some comics that have some thought put into them instead of the generic comic strips you see today.
Adam T Calvert
I enjoyed the foreword by Stephen King. And the comics are generally up to Larson's normal standard. For some reason though this one seemed to have a greater amount of comics giving credence to the theory of evolution than other volumes.
Robert
This was the beginning of the end for me regarding The Far Side. I had tried to get into the strip, but for me, it was too inconsistent. Some great strips, but too far inbetween some stuff that just didn't do it for me.
Tony
I'd rate this a 92% A.

What a hoot! I nursed this over several months, as one can only "read" a few pages at a time.

The best ones were ones I had to stop, look at, and think before I got the joke.
Steve
Some of the most imaginative humour out there, if you can handle comics that have some of the flattest punchlines in existence. The humour can be dry, dull, boring, but it is always hilarious.
Kim
Re-read 2/27/2013. Always good for some laughs. Cartoons from Bride of the Far Side, Valley of the Far Side, and It Came From the Far Side. Foreword by Stephen King.
Erin
I randomly picked this up at the library today. I totally forgot how much I love Far Side cartoons.

Some are super funny. Some are not. But, it was a nice funny break from reality.
Phillip
I love this books. Essentially they are visual puns. The thing to do is read a few then leave them alone for a while. Larson is outrageously funny.
Bunny
Reading a compilation of these is nice, and all, but it really shows you that not all of them are great, and some of them are just plain stupid.
  • Fugitive from the Cubicle Police
  • Classics of Western Literature: Bloom County, 1986-1989
  • Calvin and Hobbes: There's Treasure Everywhere
  • Foxtrotius Maximus
  • The Big Book of Hell: The Best of Life in Hell
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...
The Far Side Gallery 3 The Far Side Gallery The Far Side Gallery 4 The Prehistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit The Far Side