Start by marking “Who Likes Rain?” as Want to Read:
Who Likes Rain?

Who Likes Rain?

It's time to put on your rain gear for a rainy-day romp!

With spring come April showers. It's time to put on a raincoat, grab an umbrella, and head outdoors. The worms like rain, and so do the fish and frogs. But what about the cat and dog? In this lyrical picture book, one spunky little girl discovers just who likes rain--and who doesn't--as she explores the rainy-day habi
Published April 3rd 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 28th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Who Likes Rain?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Likes Rain?

Elaine
May 04, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it
The onomatopoeia and rhythm is so much fun in this story! It's very cute and I would recommend reading it at a story time or as a bedtime story or even as a story for a rainy day with young children!
Kalynda
This book was such a happy surprise. I love it! And there is so much to love: the rhyme, the onomatopoeia, the way it is written--engaging with anticipation, and great word choice...it is just so clever! Plus the predicted text supports young readers (and the rhyme helps to build fluency).
Michelle McBeth
Dec 31, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
A little girl is disappointed at first because the rain is interrupting her outside play time. She contemplates all of the things that like rain such as flowers and frogs. Then she puts on rain gear and explores the rainy outdoors until the rain stops. Finally the real fun begins when she jumps in the puddles left behind.

Although the colors of the illustrations are a bit muted, they are colorful and enjoyable to look at. The author asks a question and the answer is a surprise on the next page in
Camille
Dec 11, 2012 Camille rated it liked it
This is a non-story about a little girl exploring what living things like and don't like the rain.
I really enjoyed the illustrations of this book. What stands out is Yee's use of white space. You can really appreciate what he chose to draw and what he didn't and how he uses little window-like pictures to help a reader guess what's on the next page.

I used it with my cat-themed storytime even though a cat is only on one page. I don't think the storytime audience noticed!
Jenna
Sep 02, 2014 Jenna rated it it was amazing
There were a lot of things I liked about this book. I really appreciated the pictures, they looked like they were hand drawn instead of being drawn up on a computer. The author was creative in making the lines rhyme, and emphasized onamatopoia words for children to imagine the sounds and pictures in their heads. Most of the time, rainy days are dreary and sad but the author wants children to realize how much fun and happiness they can create.
Asho
The layout of this storybook is nice because each page has a rhyming description of some creature that likes the rain, but you don't find out what the animal is until the next page. So, basically, each time you turn the page there's a little surprise.
I wish the illustrations were a bit more exciting. They weren't quite bright enough to capture my baby's attention. However, the house in the book looks a lot like our house, which was a fun little touch.
Aleece
Apr 10, 2014 Aleece rated it really liked it
This is a cute book about rain that talks about the different animals that are out during the rain as well as what you can do in the rain, like catch raindrops in your hat.

A simple story with very nice illustrations that display things to do on a rainy day and all of the sounds of the animals that enjoy the rain too.
Meg McGregor
Feb 11, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Little ones may not like the rain because it may keep them indoors but this book shows young readers that lots of other animals and plants need the rain to help them live!

Lyrical poetry helps make this book even better.
Kristine Hansen
Sep 21, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
A fun guessing game, illustrated perfectly that has all the sounds and experiences of playing in the rain, with a very satisfying conclusion that every parent will want to enjoy with their child (at least I hope they will....never become too grown up to play outside after a rainstorm). Loved this!
Denise
Jun 19, 2008 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I wish this was available in a larger format for use during storytime. It's beautifully written and the illustrations are gorgeous. I would still be tempted to use it for storytime so long as the group wasn't too large.
Dewey
Apr 16, 2016 Dewey rated it liked it
Shelves: st-weather, st-rain
This was a pretty firmly middle-of-the-road book. It's not overwhelmingly cute, but there's nothing bad about it. If there weren't other books available, it would make an ok read for a rain-themed storytime.
Tessa
Dec 06, 2012 Tessa rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-4050
This is a about things that happens when it rains. It gives examples of animals that do like the rain and animals who do not like rain.

This would be a cute read aloud in the spring. I would would use it with PrK or Kindergarten students.
Samantha
Mar 29, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book shows kids that we need the rain and that some things and animals actually enjoy the rain. It also shows what doesn't like the rain. It's a really cute story!
Erin
Mar 30, 2015 Erin rated it liked it
The illustrations are a bit on the softer side for me. The words and rhymes are good for introducing young ones to the joys of rain.

Good for toddler storytimes.
Lauren
Great clues and rhyming lead-in to the new animal at the top of each verse so kids can guess what it will be during readalouds. Too bad the illustrations aren't larger and more clear.
Elizabeth
Jun 30, 2016 Elizabeth added it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: GR list "Chromatic Children's Literature" https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...
Shelves: picturebooks
The illustrations feel small (since the pages are small). The rhyming text which invites reader participation is a nice touch, though the rhythm felt a little strained to me.
Heidi-Marie
Cute. Way too young for Book Time. Fun rhyming and cute pictures. Good for a younger story time and lap-sit read as well.
Edna
Apr 06, 2010 Edna rated it really liked it
Precious book with delicate chalk illustrations with a little girl who ventures out in the rain, dressed in her yellow slicker and boots, asking and answering the question, "Who Likes Rain?"
Jenn
Nov 10, 2009 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Fun to read - my daughter likes to "guess" who likes the rain on each page (although she knows since we've read it like 20 times). Nice rhymes, cute pictures.
Molly
Apr 09, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was the sleeper hit at my Rain storytime. The rhyming riddles were a fun challenge for the prereaders.
Diana Thomsen
Feb 05, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
This one was cute, but nothing to write home about. I might have actually used it for storytime if it wasn't so small!
Lora
Oct 31, 2011 Lora rated it really liked it
Cute, sweet book with great rain sounds. Also a nice positive spin on gloomy days. Lucy wanted to read it twice today!
Marie
May 05, 2010 Marie rated it it was amazing
This book feels like a classic, deceptively simple and yet elegant in it's telling. The illustrations are beautiful and fit the text perfectly. I wish it were larger.
Chelsea
Apr 19, 2010 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
"Who likes rain even more than a duck?
More than a frog n the muckety-muck?"

A little girl explores on a rainy day!
Kristin
Feb 01, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian-american
This book is good for younger kids because it is rich with rhymes and repetition of sounds. It's about a young girl exploring the sights and sounds of rain. Illustrations are pretty neat too.
Crissy
Crissy rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Quinn's Book Nook
Quinn's Book Nook rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Mckinley
Mckinley rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2016
C.
C. rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012