Start by marking “The Hite Report” as Want to Read:
The Hite Report

The Hite Report

Ten years after the Hite Report exploded the myths surrounding women's physical sexuality, Women and Love offers a massive and moving documentation of women's profound questioning of their emotional relationships with men.
Published August 1st 1987 by Dell (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Hite Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hite Report

Helmut
Apr 21, 2015 Helmut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Statistik mal anders
In der NDR-Talkshow war neulich Erika Berger zu Gast. Sie wurde gefragt, welche Fragen ihr heutzutage, in einem aufgeklärteren Zeitalter, noch gestellt wurden. "Abgesehen von der ewigen Frage nach dem Orgasmus, der nicht vorhanden ist?" fragte sie gegen. Dieses Buch, geschrieben in den 70ern, hat daher wohl bis heute nichts an Aktualität verloren.

Letztlich handelt es sich um eine äußerst ausführliche Auswertung eines Fragebogens, der an tausende Frauen verschickt wurde, in d
Ronald Wise
Aug 19, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it it was amazing
This one was added to my collection while I was majoring in psychology at the University of Washington, and on the recommendation of my only girlfriend ever, Patty. Read the first time in 1976, while I was making a last gasp effort to convince myself that I was straight, the overall impression I got then from this book was that sex with women might be very complicated. Reading it now, after nearly 30 years of water under the bridge, the main message of the book seems to center around the individ ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 14, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Rejecting the very idea of penetration as the sole definition of “real sex,” Shere Hite’s The Hite Report on Female Sexuality (1976) sought to understand how individuals regard sexual experience and the meaning it holds for them, using the clitoris as her critical lens. “Its not specifically just orgasms we are talking about here,” she wrote, “we are talking about a complete redefinition, or un-definition, of what sex is.”

What I love most about Hite's work: she uses the personal accounts of wome
Lynley
Sep 10, 2016 Lynley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, feminism
As I was reading this I kept wondering how things have changed since the mid seventies. But I have a sneaky suspicion I wouldn't like the answer to that.

Gloria Steinem said that all women should read this book, but I would hope (???) that in 2014 a lot of women are familiar with the ideas within -- instead, I think men (especially those who like women) should read this book. And now (after a break, perhaps) I'd like to read the equivalent about men.

Hite's ideas for a better world pretty much lin
Liz
Jan 24, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The format of the book - answers to a survey- makes it a bit tricky to get through easily. It was also sometimes hard to distinguish the comments from the commentary. And occasionally I felt the comments were becoming repetitive. But that didn't really affect how I felt about the book overall.

Otherwise it was fascinating and surprisingly eye-opening. Sadly, it seems that very little has changed in some ways, even though it was nearly forty years ago that this was written. Perhaps if everyone rea
Marcus Clark
Jul 23, 2012 Marcus Clark rated it it was amazing
About the sexuality of women. Could easily be condensed but it is definitely a landmark book --- very important in what it says. It explores women's attitudes to sex, what they do, and how they do it. Largely by getting hundreds of women to answer intimate questions about their sex life.
Anna
Jul 06, 2007 Anna rated it it was amazing
Groundbreaking (back then, anyhow) in that women enjoy and need sex as much as the next guy. Oh, and we fantasize about it too!
Neal Hines
Oct 26, 2007 Neal Hines rated it it was amazing
Wow, I learned a lot by reading this book. A worthwhile read into the elusive world of sex from the female perspective.
Petra Eggs
May 05, 2015 Petra Eggs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sex, reviewed
Did anyone actually read this for statistics, in an objective, academic way? Or was it not just a very legitimate purchase of a really dirty book? (It was for me!)
Mike Rogero
Oct 06, 2014 Mike Rogero rated it it was amazing
Very eye-opening for the 16yr old me...
Shanamadele
Jun 01, 2007 Shanamadele rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women, anyone who wants to have sex with women
This book changed my life.
Virgilio Machado
More than 35 million copies sold worldwide
Selected in 1998 as one of the one hundred key books of the twentieth century by the London Times and the World Expo.

"A frankness and directness not usually seen in print . . . Many female readers can closely identify with these intimate revelations." --Time

"The first major literary breakthrough in this field since the work of Masters and Johnson." --The Literary Guild

Thirty years ago a book by an unknown American
Carlie
Jan 31, 2007 Carlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Married Couples, Sex Researchers, Counselers, Pastors
My husband and I have been reading this book aloud together for the past month or so, the survey format makes it kind of a slow read. I think this book is generally very insightful. The idea was, a woman put together a comprehensive sexual survey and then had thousands of American women fill it out and mail in the responses anonymously. Great plan. The flaw was in the execution. When the author gathered all the results and put them into book form in order to share her findings with the public sh ...more
Joakim
Jul 05, 2014 Joakim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: {Men looking to please a lady, Women confused about sexual pleasure}
Shelves: guyism, 2014
So there's no guarantee women will get orgasms from intercourse, and most even don't know what an orgasm is to begin with. To seal the deal as a man (or woman)- foreplay, followed by tinkering with the clitosaurus..preferably by means other than cunnilingus (because they might be self-conscious about the smell/taste down there), and when everything is said, finely tuned, and done, penis serves just as an anecdote (in case of men).
Good to know.
I'm off to become a homosexual.
Victoire
Feb 23, 2012 Victoire rated it it was amazing
After Kinsey (which I later read) Hite was touted as the leading author... indeed she is. It's all here in real detail. Makes you actually think about 'what women want' before you go barging in with your assumptions.

Curious, Disturbing (in places) and erotic (passages are written in the tellers own hand)

A good one for young men of all calibres.
David
Dec 17, 2016 David rated it liked it
A good way for men to understand a woman's perspective with so much uncensored first hand reporting of sexual experience. But, although still relevant, it is very much a snapshot of where the sexual revolution was in the early 70's.
Jack Curtis
May 27, 2012 Jack Curtis rated it did not like it
Absolutely fucking moronic. I'm not sure if Sherry (s)Hite knows how to corrolate data or just wanted to validate her own sexuality.
Yaaresse
A huge shadow of doubt about her methods and integrity have been cast in recent years, but at the time it was published, it was a Very Big Deal.
Stacey
Oct 01, 2008 Stacey rated it it was amazing
I never got "the speech" from my parents. Instead my mom gave me this book when I was about 14 or so and said "read it in the dark". It was all downhill from there. :)
Sally
Jan 05, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sexuality, women
This is still a great resource on female sexuality, largely in the words of hundreds of individual women.
Oliver
Aug 13, 2013 Oliver rated it it was amazing
This book is a bit dated but the information was very valuable. I learned a lot from this book and even in this day and age females are still not open about discussing this topic.
Heather Emme
Heather Emme rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2007
Christine Benagh
Christine Benagh rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2013
Kathleen Willoughby
Kathleen Willoughby rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2011
Alexandra Adamez
Alexandra Adamez rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Heather Lehr
Heather Lehr rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Donjicot
Donjicot rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Remarciaf
Remarciaf rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2009
Daphne Chennault
Daphne Chennault rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2014
  • Sexual Behavior in the Human Female
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The War on Choice: The Right-Wing Attack on Women's Rights and How to Fight Back
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Gyn/Ecology: The Metaethics of Radical Feminism
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans
  • The New Male Sexuality
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • Men In Love
  • Sisterhood is Powerful: An Anthology of Writings from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Are Women Human?: And Other International Dialogues
  • The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips
  • Sexual Fluidity: Understanding Women's Love and Desire
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • Beyond Power:  On Women, Men and Morals
  • The Morning After: Sex, Fear, and Feminism
  • The Sexual Paradox: Extreme Men, Gifted Women and the Real Gender Gap
Shere Hite (born November 2, 1942, Saint Joseph, Missouri) is an American-born German[1] sex educator and feminist. Her sexological work has focused primarily on female sexuality. Hite builds upon biological studies of sex by Masters and Johnson and by Alfred Kinsey. She also references theoretical, political and psychological works associated with the feminist movement of the 1970s, such as Anne ...more
More about Shere Hite...