Start by marking “Not Much Fun: The Lost Poems of Dorothy Parker” as Want to Read:
Not Much Fun: The Lost Poems of Dorothy Parker

Not Much Fun: The Lost Poems of Dorothy Parker

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  24 reviews
During the early years of her career, while struggling to "keep body and soul apart" (as she ruefully put it later), Dorothy Parker wrote more than three hundred poems and verses for a variety of popular magazines and newspapers. Between 1926 and 1933 she collected most of these pieces in three volumes of poetry: Enough Rope, Sunset Gun, and Death and Taxes. The remaining ...more
Published July 10th 2001 by Scribner (first published August 2nd 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Not Much Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Much Fun

Kathy Dawson
Mar 19, 2007 Kathy Dawson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of the jazz age, Algonquin Round Table fans, culture lovers
While the poetry in the book does not reach the height of excellence that her later, more "serious" work did, the true worth of this book is Silverstein's truly fantastic (if short) biography of Dorothy Parker, which contains a number of delightful anecdotes that I have been unable to find in other books. Buy it for the biography, and consider the amusing poetry as a bonus. :)
Julie Leggett
One of my favorite poems from this book...

FRAGMENT
Why should we set these hearts of our above
The rest, and cramp them in possession's clutch?
Poor things, we gasp and strain to capture love,
And in our hands, it powders at our touch.
We turn the fragrant pages of the past,
Mournful with scent of passion's faded flow'rs,
On every one we read, "Love cannot last"---
So how could ours?

It is the quest that thrills, and not the gain,
The mad pursuit, and not the cornering:
Love caught is but a drop of A
Donna
Nearly the first quarter of the book is an anecdote-heavy introduction to Parker's life and career. This part was good overall, but at times it went a little too heavily into "here's a funny thing she said, and here's another" for my taste. This was especially true in the footnotes, which also managed to throw me off by referring to her as "Dottie," as if the person writing them was a casual acquaintance writing about a friend rather than a biographer.

There are some bright spots in the poems, th
David Ward
Not Much Fun: The Lost Poems of Dorothy Parker by Stuart Y. Silverstein (Scribner 1996) (811) is collection of the lesser-known poems of the "Queen of Mean" of the 1930's and 1940's. These are "lesser-known" for good reason. Many are beyond vitriolic; they are simply hateful and nasty as though the author thought to ease her own pain by causing pain to her targets. If I ever desire another dose of Dorothy, I'll reread her best-known wordplay and leave this volume aside, for it provides just wha ...more
Rebecca
Though not her best works -- these are, for the most part, the poems she never put into collections herself -- Parker is always so bitterly entertaining. Good for when you're in a pissy mood. Strangely, it's plain from his introduction that the editor of this collection is not a Dorothy Parker fan, despite constant fawning references to "Dottie." While haphazard and maybe even overindulgent, the footnotes in the introduction are fun for their wealth of Parker one-offs at cocktail parties, at the ...more
Not Much Fun offers a sampling of the unknown Dorothy Parker, the bits she wisely culled from later collections for not being quite up to par. Gathered here, they offer only a dim reflection of her trademark shining wit, though the book itself is a worthwhile read just for the hilariously overfootnoted introduction and the Hate Songs section at the end. (I Hate Wives...Too Many People Have Them)
Granny
Oct 12, 2008 Granny rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dorothy Parker fans
Shelves: poetry
Dorothy Parker will always get at least three stars from me, but this anthology, "Not Much Fun," includes some "lost poems" that are "not much good." I have a feeling that Ms. Parker would have preferred some of them remain "lost," but of course a few are jewels and the biographical pages are really worth reading. All in all, it's Dorothy Parker...nuff said!
Ellen
This is a collection of poems by Parker that weren't printed in her previous collections. Although I enjoyed reading these poems, they're not among her best. But I have no problem recommending this one to other Parker lovers at all.

This edition also includes a good introduction to Parker's life and writing history, which is most definitely worth reading.
Kevin
she is an interesting person, very witty, mean at times, sometimes a strange bird, very much a person of her times, her poetry is very craftsman like with flashes of brilliance, I enjoyed reading about her, but not my favorite person
Poofygoo
I dated a man who fancied himself a poet once. We went to poetry slams. Consequently, I'm convinced 98.7% of all poetry is pure crap dressed up in fancy words. Dorothy Parker represents a large portion of the remaining 1.3%.
Cari
First, no introduction should have so many footnotes. Second, Parker's work is, by and large, a showcase of wit and talent, but this collection doesn't do it justice. I'm still a fan, but not of this particular set.
Mazzeo
Dec 26, 2007 Mazzeo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Dorothy Parker
This collection is not found in the other anthology I reviewed. It’s more of the same, but I don’t care for it quite as much. If you're a fan of Parker it's worth checking out- otherwise I suggest her portable reader.
Mike
Mar 23, 2008 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: diehard Parker fans, jilted lovers
Recommended to Mike by: Joy Crabill
this book is just a joy for those die-hard Dorothy Parker fans. There are some real jewels of her wit and wisdom buried here; bits and pieces not found elsewhere. If Dottie trips your trigger, check this out!
Aiyana
Pretty amazing! When someone's unpublished work is this good, you know they are an amazing author. Besides, you just can't go wrong with Dorothy Parker. Unless you're male.
Lesley Genao
Like all of Parker's works this book is a lovely mix of satire and sarcasm. I am in love with her way of thinking. I feel that we should all preach the Hate Verses.
Donika
Was just in the mood to read some Parker. If you're unfamiliar with her, there's a nice little summary of her biography with lots of quotes in the beginning.
Crystal
I believe I enjoyed the introductory biography more than the poetry. Some of them were wonderful, but I can see why she didn't want them all to be published.
Kate
The poems are great, but the best part may have been the quote and reference heavy introduction.
Sally Hansen
Favorite author of all time! Love her wit and sarcasm! If only she were alive to write today!
Melissa Engberg
This collection is brilliant! Read it for "Pollyanna Takes the Air," if nothing else.
Wendy
Nothing cheers me up more than the black humor of Dorothy Parker!
Danelle Garrison
Dec 28, 2007 Danelle Garrison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
not her best work, but still very entertaining.
Amy
Worth it for the biography alone.
Jamia
Dorothy Parker is a genius.
Lee
Lee is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2015
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Rebecca McDougald
Rebecca McDougald marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Susan Blyler
Susan Blyler marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
  • Dorothy Parker: What Fresh Hell Is This?
  • Imperfect Spirituality: Extraordinary Enlightenment for Ordinary People
  • Sisters of the Extreme: Women Writing on the Drug Experience
  • English Romantic Poetry
  • Lewis Carroll: A Biography
  • Elizabeth: Virgin Queen?
  • White Stains - Anaïs Nin & Friends (Delectus Classics of Erotic Literature)
  • Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
  • The Complete Letters of Oscar Wilde
  • Populuxe: The Look and Life of America in the '50s and '60s, from Tailfins and TV Dinners to Barbie Dolls and Fallout Shelters
  • No Evil Star: Selected Essays, Interviews, and Prose
  • You Might as Well Live: The Life and Times of Dorothy Parker
  • Alternacrafts: 20+ Hi-Style Lo-Budget Projects to Make
  • Truly Wilde: The Unsettling Story Of Dolly Wilde, Oscar's Unusual Niece
  • The Bird's Nest
  • The Nest Home Design Handbook
  • The Collected Poems
  • Kiss Me Again, Stranger: A Collection Of Eight Stories, Long And Short
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Dorothy Parker was an American writer and poet best known for her caustic wit, wisecracks, and sharp eye for 20th century urban foibles. From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary output in such venues as The New Yorker and as a founding member of the Algonquin Round Ta
More about Dorothy Parker...
The Portable Dorothy Parker Complete Stories The Poetry and Short Stories of Dorothy Parker (Modern Library) The Complete Poems of Dorothy Parker The Collected Dorothy Parker