Start by marking “Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)” as Want to Read:
Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)

Preserves (River Cottage Handbooks #2)

Explaining the history, science and basic processes of preserving, Pam Corbin guides us through a world of jams, jellies, butters, curds, pickles, chutneys, cordials, liqueurs, vinegars and sauces that can be made from local produce throughout the year. She includes 75 recipes.
Published August 4th 2008 by Bloomsbury UK

To ask other readers questions about Preserves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preserves

Preserves by Pam CorbinBooze for Free by Andy  HamiltonFood for Free by Richard MabeyHedgerow by John WrightThrifty Forager by Alys Fowler
Best Foraging Books
1st out of 5 books — 2 voters
The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie ToppThe Art of Fermentation by Sandor Ellix KatzThe Art of Preserving by Rick FieldThe Joy of Pickling by Linda ZiedrichHomemade Condiments by Jessica Harlan
Essential Preserving Books
7th out of 20 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Sabriel
Feb 01, 2013 Sabriel rated it liked it
Shelves: preserving
Not the best preserving book I have read. I find the format a bit annoying, it does not quite open up properly which I want if cooking out of something. The order of recipes and contents is a bit jumbled, it focuses much on hedgerow but then figuring out what to do when is not quite easy and the recipes are alright, but nothing outright fabulous.
Jeff
Jun 18, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing
One of the most comprehensive books on traditional preserving methods and recipes. Simple to follow, very compact and informative with seasonal timings. Note the timings relate to UK seasonality but for the most part you can transpose the seasonal boundaries to your part of the world and adjust acordingly
Greta
This is a pretty little book, saturated with gorgeous images that make you feel as if you, too, are picking berries in a flowering hedgerow in some quaint little town in the English countryside. There's a great variety of recipes, from honeyed hazelnuts to rumtopf to pickled nasturium pods. And you can practically hear the author's British accent in the colorful instructions, such as this one from the black current jam, "... remove the twiggy bits..."

But having said all that, American canners ha
Cat Tobin
Feb 01, 2015 Cat Tobin rated it really liked it
In the interests of full disclosure, I have to admit to a) being obsessed with preserving, and b) being a big River Cottage fan. This was the first book in the River Cottage series I've read, and it didn't disappoint; full of tasty-looking recipes and great ideas (pickling nasturtium seeds to use as capers, for example), I devoured this in one sitting and can't wait to test out the advice.
Amanda
Mar 17, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Love everything about this book. I have always been a packaged pectin user, that's what the Ball Blue Book says, so you do it, right? Pam's book gave me the confidence to go all natural with the pectin and I had great results. I am learning so much! The marmalade and fruit leathers are a big hit.
May 12, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diy
I'm cautious about the techniques presented in the book. I'm sometimes confused by the recipes. So why do I love this book? First it simplifies the preserving process. It recommends a variety of fruit to try in recipes such as Bachelor's Jam. I was surprised by the minimual amount of added sweetness in the brandied plums.

I really wanted to learn how to preserve fruit in booze. This book provided me with lots of options. Next time, I'm likely to plan on hot-water sealing for anything that I want
Saiisha
Jun 20, 2014 Saiisha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-book
I'm not a cookbook person, but I simply loved this book - gorgeous pictures, English village voice, and out-of-the-ordinary ideas! Simple ingredients, simple instructions - I tried the gooseberry jam and it was delicious :)
Bonnie
Dec 06, 2014 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Interesting recipes, lots of good inspiration, but recipes recommend open kettle canning which is not considered safe by USDA canning guidelines. Not a good book for beginners, in my opinion, due to that.
julie
Feb 09, 2014 julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
this wonderful book is sticky from marmalade and cordials and is a beloved presence in my kitchen. i couldn't get along without it, especially when berry season is here.
Megan
Jul 21, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have given it a five but too many ingredients would be unavailable here. Still an excellent book on the subject of preserving.
Raivis
Dec 17, 2014 Raivis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Stilīgs, gaumīgs un vienkārši lietojams konservēšanas recepšu krājums.
Tim
Aug 14, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing
Another in the excellent handbook series. As in some of the others, Hedgerow, Mushrooms, Edible Seashore, doubly useful in this pocket size as you can take them out with you when out collecting and catching.
These books written by people associated with River Cottage are able to cover everyone from beginner to established home cook.
From advice about equipment, where to find wild ingredients to some delightful recipes it's a lot in a little package.
Foreword by Hugh F - W.
Rebecca
Jul 02, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Very thorough and easy to follow instructions as well as lots of information on the 'basics' of making preserves, which are useful to follow even when following recipes from other sources. I've already made a delicious gooseberry and elderflower jam from here, and right at the end is the most genius idea/recipe: 'Souper Mix,' a kind of homemade stock paste that you can adapt to feature flavours of the season.
Andrew
Jul 13, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
this is another one from the river cottage guides (see hedgerow) I have been after this for a while and i will admit there is more than just a book of recipes to tempt you with there is also useful information there too - and I admit there is nothing better than to consume your creations afterwards (especially when you have stunk out the house)
Nikki
Aug 16, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
The star rating is just for the seville orange marmalade - followed the recipe and the marmalade just didn't set - lovely marmalade just a bit runny. Had made some the previous year from a magazine - will definately search for that magazine again and use the recipe in there. Got put of by that and not tried the other recipes in the book.
Aug 07, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodie
At first glance, I assumed that this book was too beautiful to be useful. Many gorgeous cookbooks seem designed for the coffee table, not the kitchen. But I was wrong. I LOVE this book. Preserving things has always seemed scary to me, but after reading this book I feel I can go forward unafraid.
Once more, into the breach!
Cynthia
Nov 18, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it
A comforting voice, Ms. Corbin makes preserve making seem simple and straightforward, useful, and beautiful. It's a fun browse, with some good ideas, and a nice picture into eating like a Brit. I like to look at recipes for hedgerow jelly, and imagine that some day I'll get to make it. It's that kind of book.
Lime
Jun 07, 2013 Lime rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Love this book! Made quite a few things all excellent including blues and bay, canned pears with anise, pears in ginger wine and pickled fennel. Made many more but these are the ones that stand out, and there are lots more to try.
Jeanne
Interesting look at something my mother could probably have told me all about. Thought the cordials looked interesting. Pretty little book. Not sure I'd ever use any of the recipes, though.
P.
May 20, 2013 P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery-bookery
okay, so I only made one very small batch of rhubarb jam from this to eat within a week or so (not in a sterilized jar). But had I the time & equipment I would totally want to make more from it.
Tracy Houk-ishitoya
I loved this for small batch preserving for jams and beyond. Not only does it give techniques, but also how each preserve may be used. Great for beginners and the more experienced.
Gloria
Jun 04, 2011 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best preserves book I've ever seen, but I checked it out from the library and I'm still trying out recipes. Worth a look for sure, it's a fun format.
Elizabeth
Jan 25, 2010 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Shelves: food
Referred to for its yummy homemade bouillon at 101Cookbooks.com.

Lois Wolffe
Jan 05, 2014 Lois Wolffe rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites, food
This is one of my go-to cookbooks - the recipes are well explained, and unfailingly successful, and super-tasty. What more can you ask for?
Mary
Oct 07, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yum! This book has some great recipes in it. I found one for sundried tomatoes and pepper jam.
Nicola
Aug 27, 2008 Nicola rated it liked it
great chutney recipes for abundance of marrows and courgettes
Geanna
Jul 27, 2011 Geanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, non-fic
Beautiful pictures and lovely recipes.
Tracie
Sep 20, 2010 Tracie rated it really liked it
Read the first one - awesome.
Lullyweb
food,cooking
Dec 23, 2011 Sarah marked it as considering
rec'd by Lisa K
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • The River Cottage Family Cookbook
  • The River Cottage Mushroom Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #1)
  • Plenty
  • Home Dairy with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Cheese, Yogurt, Butter & More
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • English Food
  • The Art of Preserving
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods

River Cottage Handbooks (10 books)
  • The River Cottage Mushroom Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #1)
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • Veg Patch (River Cottage Handbook, #4)
  • Edible Seashore (River Cottage Handbook, #5)
  • Sea Fishing (River Cottage Handbook, #6)
  • Hedgerow (River Cottage Handbook, #7)
  • Cakes (River Cottage Handbook, #8)
  • Fruit (River Cottage Handbook, #9)
  • Herbs