Start by marking “Great Russian Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Great Russian Short Stories

Great Russian Short Stories

Twelve powerful works of fiction, includingPushkin's "The Queen of Spades," Gogol's "The Overcoat," Turgenev's "The District Doctor," Dostoyevsky's "White Nights," Tolstoy's "How Much Land Does a Man Need?," plus "The Clothes Mender" by Leskov, "The Lady with the Toy Dog" by Chekhov, "Twenty-Six Men and a Girl" by Gorky, "Lazarus" by Andreyev, and more. ...more
Published July 29th 2003 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Great Russian Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Russian Short Stories

Anna
Dec 02, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
I'm not usually a fan of short stories, and picked this up because I wanted to read one of them, but was overall pleasantly surprised. Most of them were very fun to read, others were depressing but I still loved them. They confirmed how much I love the Russians' writing.

The stories (with my rating) are:
Loved - The District Doctor (Turgenev), White Nights (Doestoevsky - my favourite), How Much Land Does a Man Need (Tolstoy), The Lady With the Toy Dog (Chekov), The White Mother (Sologub).

Liked -
Steve
Dec 02, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
I learned a lot about the Russian people from this, my first exposure to their literature. First, Russians fall in love incredibly easily. Second, it never ends well.
Kyra
Jan 04, 2016 Kyra rated it liked it
Some great stories in here. No surprise to hear I was especially fond of Dostoyevsky's piece. I must shamefully admit that I've never read any Tolstoy before this collection, but I am very excited to explore more of his writings. For anyone interested in Russian lit, I would definitely check this out.
Niklas Pivic
Mar 24, 2011 Niklas Pivic rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, russia
This book contains Dostoyevsky's "White Nights", which is a masterpiece. Likewise I must say I enjoyed Andreyev's "Lazarus": I can't really say why I liked those short-stories so much, but they were a long stretch away from being classical tales.

Through these stories, I feel I've got a firm grasp of 19th-century Russian writing. It's interesting to see how it differs so much and yet so universally little from a lot of western English-speaking literature (even though this is a collection translat
Tate Stevenson
Jan 31, 2016 Tate Stevenson rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Must read for anyone new to Russian literature.
Richard
Dec 04, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Folklorist, people who love aesops fables
Has a collection of short stories written by great Russian authours such as Dotsoevsky (Crime and Punishement) and many more. Although I do not know the period in which these short stories were written I assume that its pre-communist Russia, thus you can literally reach out and feel the desperation and the general poor conditions in which the common people were living. Like nearly all short stories, in the end there is a strange twist of faith.
Boorrito
Apr 14, 2011 Boorrito rated it really liked it
I found this a mixed bag of some stories. Some of them are really good: 'The Queen of Spades', 'The Overcoat' and 'Lazarus' which was a good choice for the concluding story. Others are alright and others just remind me what a ridiculous place Imperial Russia was. I'm mainly giving four stars for Lazarus though, with its fantastic creeping dread throughout.
Andrew 'Smitty' Smith
May 24, 2011 Andrew 'Smitty' Smith rated it it was amazing
This collection, while far from covering all the definitive shorts of Russian Lit. - that would be a hefty volume - is excellent. There is not a bad story in this collection, with most being known fairly well among American audiences. The translations are well done, and flow well. I was very happy with my little three dollar purchase.
Petra
Jul 27, 2009 Petra rated it liked it
These were interesting stories telling of many aspects of Russian life. The stories in this book are a great forerunner to Russian authors and their style of writing. It brought to mind again of how well the Russians write and I've added many new-to-me authors on my list of TBR.

Mez
Jun 08, 2012 Mez rated it it was amazing
I've just re-read this collection in a new translation. Interesting to revisit this after 20 years (probably last read some of them - The Cloak, The Lady with the Little Dog, for example - more than 30 years ago now). Still compelling and marvellous.
Dianna
Mar 10, 2013 Dianna rated it really liked it
Terrific collection of some of my favorites. Would be a great introduction gift to someone who thinks they may be interested in Russian short stories.
Jessica
Aug 03, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it
This isn't exactly what I'm reading. THe one I am reading is so old it doesn't have an isbn as far as I can tell. I do love me some russians.
Sep 19, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is a good representative collection of short stories by Russian authors. Worth reading.
Nathalie Gagnon
Nathalie Gagnon marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Lucas Miotto
Lucas Miotto marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Lawrence Guthridge
Lawrence Guthridge rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
germ
germ marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Sarah Ash
Sarah Ash is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2016
Charles DePriest
Charles DePriest marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Pamela N.
Pamela N. marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Paul Van
Paul Van rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Katerina
Katerina marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Bibliophilic Emily
Bibliophilic Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Asif Anonto
Asif Anonto marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Tayeba Aurine
Tayeba Aurine marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Kseniya
Kseniya rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Henok Haile
Henok Haile marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Danielle Mcivor
Danielle Mcivor marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
  • Witch Wood
  • The Time: Night
  • A Diamond Guitar
  • Hunger
  • Pelagia and the Red Rooster (Sister Pelagia Mysteries, #3)
  • The Duel and Other Stories