Start by marking “The American Heritage New History of WWII” as Want to Read:
The American Heritage New History of WWII

The American Heritage New History of WWII

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Visually stunning, The American Heritage New History of World War II features more than 700 of the most dramatic and haunting photographs from renowned war photographers on the line of battle, from artists who captured the quintessence of war on canvas, and from cartoonists who portrayed the lighter side of war for millions on the front lines and at home. These images, whi ...more
Published October 6th 1997 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about The American Heritage New History of WWII, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American Heritage New History of WWII

Eric
My Dad was on the Arizona before the attack and was transferred to the Tennessee.....I don't know if I could have gone through what he and all the others did, and remain sane.
David
An updated version (edited by Stephen Ambrose) of a book I enjoyed as a kid from my parents' library. Lavishly illustrated, a good jumping off point for those wanting to read one book about the war. This is certainly a history written for an American readership, however - the Russian contribution to victory over the Nazis is definitely downplayed.
Mandy
A really good book that overviews WWII. It has lots of great pictures and maps, which you will like if you are a visual learner, like me. I still go back and reference this book often when I can't remember certain events or timelines about WWII.
Jonathan
Decided to revisit the reprint of this book from my teen years. Quick overview of WWII, most glaring were some of the simple mistakes in the photo captions. Its a good coffee table book, fairly well skewed to the Allied view of things.
Daniel Routh
Read selections of this. Insightful, very well-written summary that goes through the war comprehensively from start to finish, with an abundance of photographs.
Bob
If you want to read one book explaining WWII this is the one. Enough text to cover what occurred and pictures to bring it to reality.
Brittney Bradford
Brittney Bradford marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Clare
Clare marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
seymour shapiro
seymour shapiro marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Christi W
Christi W marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Rach
Rach marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Cameron Grant
Cameron Grant marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Basem.android
Basem.android marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Bett Correa
Bett Correa marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Stephen Ambrose 1 1 Aug 19, 2012 07:47AM
Stephen Edward Ambrose was an American historian and biographer of U.S. Presidents Dwight Eisenhower and Richard M. Nixon. He received his Ph.D. in 1960 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

More about Stephen E. Ambrose...
Band of Brothers: E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne from Normandy to Hitler's Eagle's Nest Undaunted Courage: The Pioneering First Mission to Explore America's Wild Frontier D-Day, June 6, 1944: The Battle for the Normandy Beaches Citizen Soldiers: The U S Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany Nothing Like it in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69