Start by marking “The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian” as Want to Read:
The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian

The Story We Find Ourselves In: Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  919 ratings  ·  61 reviews
After many years as a successful pastor, Brian McLaren has found, as more and more Christians are finding, that none of the current strains of Christianity fully describes his own faith. In The Story We Find Ourselves In -- the much anticipated sequel to his award-winning book A New Kind of Christian-- McLaren captures a new spirit of a relevant Christianity, where traditi ...more
Published February 21st 2003 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about The Story We Find Ourselves In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story We Find Ourselves In

The Power of Now by Eckhart TolleLife of Pi by Yann MartelSmall Wonder by Barbara KingsolverA Hidden Wholeness by Parker J. PalmerThe Philosophy of Jesus by Peter Kreeft
2012 Books to Reform a Soul
32nd out of 101 books — 13 voters
The Happiness Animal by Will JelbertThe House at Pooh Corner by A.A. MilneA Hidden Wholeness by Parker J. PalmerI Asked For Wonder by Abraham Joshua HeschelJesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes by Kenneth E. Bailey
The Happy List
35th out of 104 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrew Burden
A continuation of McLaren's "creative nonfiction" work, following the friendship of disillusioned evangelical pastor Dan Poole and his daughter's former high school science teacher, Neil Edward Oliver, but everyone calls him Neo. Another friend, an Australian naturalist working in the Galapagos who strikes a friendship with Neo, discovers her cancer is worsening and later joins the Pooles in the States. As with the first in what became a trilogy (A New Kind of Christian), the characters eventual ...more
Jonathan Anderson
Even if Brian McLaren hadn't honed his fiction writing skills between books, I might have been inclined to give this one a pass. The clashes and, hopefully, combinations of theology and science weigh heavily on me, and I loved having Neo and Dan and new characters analyze and critique various schools of thought about them.

Thankfully, McLaren also honed his fiction writing skills between books.

I worried a bit when he brought 9/11 into the story, I said "Oh no, here comes the shark, he's gonna jum
Stephanie
Feb 18, 2008 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Conservative Christians willing to dialogue with their progressive friends
Recommended to Stephanie by: it was popular as school
McLaren makes his case for a metaphorical understanding of the poetic and mythical passages of Genesis.

Neo is in the Galapagos Islands, in conversation with a biologist. He uses a metaphor of invasive species to talk about misreading the Bible. The early Christians “had to adopt Greek terminology, and terms can be kind of like Trojan horses, bringing in foreign ways of thinking that aren’t native to the story.” For the Greeks there was an ideal world (spiritual & superior, complete) and the
Eric Sundquist
The best McLaren book I've read! Okay, so I've only read two. I'm going through the New Kind of Christian series (in preparation for his newest book, A New Kind of Christianity), and this is the second book in the installment.

Book One (A New Kind of Christian) deals with WHY people need to step back and evaluate how they think about God and the church. Many of the doctrines we believe are orthodox Christianity are flavored by thoughts from the "Modern" era, and even from the era of Greek philoso
Joy
Not quite a novel, this is a postmodern theology presented through the postmodern medium of narrative. I'm curious as to how people of other backgrounds might respond to this book. Although some of McLaren's descriptions of Christian concepts are lofty and inspiring, I can't help but feel that this book fails both as an intellectual defense of postmodern theology and as a believable story. For my part, as a Christian who holds to a high view of Scripture, I feel very uncomfortable with the way p ...more
Hye Sung
There was some cheesy dialogue, but honestly, this book blessed me immensely. It helped me process a lot of things I have come to believe for myself and counseled me quite a bit. Not only is this a good resource in the way it does counsel and help process, but the story is pretty good. It's not at all going to be dubbed a classic, even in the strange world of Christian fiction, but the characters were well-developed and I won't lie... I cried a bit.
marcus miller
McLaren shares his theology in the form of a story, which is fitting, as that is one way he approaches scripture, as story, as poetry, as an epic tale. If you are tired of a Christianity which seems to always say "no," if you are tired of a Christianity which is anti-intellectual and opposed to science, if you are tired of a Christianity which seems to always be bickering over seemingly pointless issues, this book, if you give it a chance, may give you some hope.
Sue
Second in a trilogy, this could easily stand alone. McLaren continues to look at being a Christian in the post-modern world, this time from the perspective of PhD scientists working in the galapagos. Neo, the lively Jamaican high-school teacher is on a world tour sabbatical, and stops to take on a temporary job as a tour guide, introducing staff and visitors to the God who created such amazing biodiversity.

Fascinating discussions about evolution from a Christian perspective, and the whole 'stor
Dwayne Shugert
Brian McLaren always challenges me to think deeper about faith, Christianity, church, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God. This book is no different. It is a beautiful retelling of the gospel story and our part in this every unfolding story of God that we find ourselves in. Here is one of my favorite quotes...

"A violin master is someone who can take an instrument of wood and wire and horsehair and play it so that it yields music more beautiful than anyone else can play. And for the disciples to call
Alice
This is the second book in the "Further Adventures of a New Kind of Christian." In the first one Rev. Daniel Poole begins to doubt his calling as a pastor. Then he meets Neo, his daughter's science teacher and soccer coach, also a former pastor. Neo has come to an invigorating new way of looking at Christianity. In this book Neo has befriended a woman on his travels to Ecuador who has cancer. She is coming to the Washington DC area for medical treatment, and Neo has asked Daniel and his family t ...more
Mike Steinborn
Not nearly as good in my view as "A New Kind of Christian", but still thought-provoking...
J.D.
This book, like the others in the series are quite incredible. Although McLaren is not exactly the best fiction writer, there are so many rich moments in these books that bring up points which cause you to stop and think. This ability more than makes up for the story, which seems to lack in some points and drag on with parts that don't really seem necessary. Overall, I would say that there is much that can be learned from this series, and it is a shame that many refuse to read it and solely crit ...more
Nathan
This the continuation of the book A New Kind of Christian. I would recommend reading that one first, thought it is not necessary. I would highly recommend this to anyone who would love to challenge their traditional thinking of the church in present day. However, if you are happy "doing" church on sundays and wednesdays please don't read this book, because I would rather not hear you spew on the "heresy" it contains. Please use discretion in picking this book up and read it with an open mind!!
Anna Kristina
While there are issues in the books where I disagree with McLaren, the story he paints in this book is beautiful and moving. I disagree with some of the science, but I do agree with the basic themes of "the story we find ourselves in." Christians can differ on issues (how many different theological stances are there within Christianity?) but still be united in purpose to bring others into relationship with Christ. Arguing will not change people's hearts, but God's love through us will.
Jenn Raley
The use of "creative nonfiction" (as McLaren describes it in the Preface) is an effective way to explore the theological subject matter. By depicting the characters as being on a journey, the book invites readers to take their own journeys, validating the idea that we don't have to have all the answers or agree 100% with ideas presented.

While this book would stand alone, I strongly recommend reading "A New Kind of Christian" first.
Jack
This is book 2 of the continuing story of Dan Poole and his frienship w/ Neil Oliver(aka Neo)and his quest to find deeper meaning than offered conventional Evangelical Christianity. The book takes many twist and turns and many 'points' the book makes are told through the relationship w/ Dan and the characters he encounters. Very easy reading, and a refreshing viewpoint, esp to recovering "fundamentalists" of which I'm part of.
papasteve
I found this second book in McLarens threesome to be really intriguing because I like story and storytelling. Not only is his style more storytelling in this book, but it's about the fact that being a person of faith is finding yourself in an ongoing story, not one that was started and already finished, or the outcome is totally clear. If you want to find out what story we are in, read this book.
Ghine
I really enjoyed this book just like 'A New Kind of Christian.' The characters Neo & Dan are great and I love the addition of Kerry & the adventures on Galapagos Islands. The 7 C's are presented very well & I truly enjoy the challenges in thinking & stretching of the mind that McLaren brings me with his stories in the emerging way. I'm looking forward to reading the last book in this trilogy.
Dillon Rockrohr
I actually only read half of it. It just wasn't doing much for me, and I have many other things I'd rather be reading. I like McLaren's work, and I wouldn't place this one among his better books, though the other two in the trilogy are great. Just don't read them for their literary value, which is lacking, but instead their theological, philosophical, and ecclesiological value.
Rick
We're in the story of creation, and the story of creation is a continuing one. This theology of emergence is McLaren's take on what it all means, and he tells it through a very good novel. The ideas are big, and as one of the characters, an old Jamaican women says. "Da mind dat stretch to embrace da new t'ought never shrink back to da small size it were before." (p. 159)
Michael Mills
Sequel to New Kind of Christian...helps us enter into the Biblical story...and why the old debates between "creationists" and "evolutionists" are stuck in the old enlightenment, modernistic, mechanistic worldview...so it's okay to be Christian and make peace with evolution...which the Catholic Church did long ago but many evangelicals can't seem to get there.
Teri
Turtle sex is the only thing I remember about this book.

This is the follow-up to New Kind of Christian. I couldn't even finish this one because I was so distracted by the terrible story and ridiculous characters. I couldn't see through it to get to what the book was supposed to be about: further adventures in faith.

Do not waste your time here.
Brandon
The adventure continues in this sequel and I found it to be a great story. The characters explore evolution, death, ministry, etc. from different viewpoints and it allows the reader to be able to explore different aspects of the faith without being defensive. I loved the book and thought the story line was as good as the theological exploration.
Alison
I have only read about the first 50 pages of this book and I feel like I am reading a philosophy book...it's very wordy and a bit confusing...however it has brought up some interesting questions as to the beliefs I have grown up learning about the Christian faith...

UPDATE***
I stopped reading this...didn't hold my interest
Joey
The sequal to A New Kind of Christian is not as good as the first book. The story and characters are not interesting at all. The only thing that kept me reading the book was the dialogue about the Christian faith. I found myself skipping paragraphs in order to just read the conversations rather than the story.
Sandy
This is the second in McLaren's "New Kind of Christian" series. It focuses a lot on evolution and death/dying. I don't think it was as good as the first one. Since I've never really had a problem with evolution, this didn't seem as challenging as the first. And he still shouldn't give up his day job to write fiction.
Rachel Kopel
I read this for my bible study book group and found it interesting. He does not exactly *speak to my condition* since I dont have many of the questions he is trying to answer. But it was illuminating to realize that so many folks do. I am now reading another of his books.
Linda
Nov 01, 2008 Linda added it
Excellent as it prepares the Christian to interact with those influenced and even steeped in Postmodern thinking. This is a must read for Christians to be able to communicate with Postmoderns and Lord willing to lead them into a saving fulfilled relationship with Him.
Chrissy
Hokey dialog exchanges and perhaps not the best narrative. But the ideas presented make me scream, "Yes!!" Let's all be invited into the future instead of bring pushed by the past. A shift in thinking for the post-western, post-industrialized world.
  • Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture
  • Jesus for President: Politics for Ordinary Radicals
  • Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire
  • New Monasticism: What It Has to Say to Today's Church
  • The Emerging Church: Vintage Christianity for New Generations
  • An Emergent Manifesto of Hope (emersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)
  • The Next Christians: The Good News About the End of Christian America
  • Practicing the Way of Jesus: Life Together in the Kingdom of Love
  • Real Sex: The Naked Truth about Chastity
  • The Last Word: Beyond the Bible Wars to a New Understanding of the Authority of Scripture
Brian D. McLaren is an internationally known speaker and the author of over ten highly acclaimed books on contemporary Christianity, including A New Kind of Christian, A Generous Orthodoxy, and The Secret Message of Jesus.
More about Brian D. McLaren...
A Generous Orthodoxy: Why I Am a Missional, Evangelical, Post/Protestant, Liberal/Conservative, Mystical/Poetic, Biblical, Charismatic/Contemplative, Fundamentalist/Calvinist, Anabaptist/Anglican, Metho A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey A New Kind of Christianity: Ten Questions That Are Transforming the Faith The Secret Message of Jesus: Uncovering the Truth That Could Change Everything Everything Must Change