Start by marking “Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales

Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales

This is a collection of Scottish fairy tales, folk tales and legends, which have been passed on from generation to generation, and have been brought together in this one volume.
Paperback, Penguin Popular Classics, 208 pages
Published 1997 by Penguin Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales

Kidnapped by Robert Louis StevensonWilliam Shakespeare's by Bruce CovilleWinter Arrives by Roz MarshallFear of Falling by Roz MarshallThe Observations by Jane  Harris
Scotland
68 books — 23 voters
Beowulf by UnknownThe Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteSir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown
Mythology/Folklore
335 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Eylül Çetinbaş
May 22, 2013 Eylül Çetinbaş rated it it was amazing
Loved it! it is very rollicking to read each story, on each passing day just before going to sleep. anyone who is interested in something which is anent Scotland, should do this daily routine. You'll see, you shall be blissful and I deem you will go back to your childhood since you can find some little pieces which belong to the gigantic wall of the mythical, legendary cliches, no matter where you have come from.
funkgoddess
May 12, 2012 funkgoddess rated it did not like it
oh dear, if this book is to be believed, scotland has no good fairy tales.
Serena Wyndelin Ogawa
A good book of folk and fairy tales, but nothing spectacular or unusual. A few duds. It got a bit bogged down with the "keys" on so many pages.

Not bad for a cheap used book.
Shima
Nov 27, 2012 Shima rated it really liked it
This tiny little thing of a book is adorable!

Firstly I adored the graphic representation of the Scottish accent - “aboot” (about), “leddy” (lady), “oot” (out), “ain” (one), “banes” (bones), and so many others -, I believe it added a feeling of hearing the story directly from a Scottish person.
Secondly, most of the writing really is in a “story telling” style – “There was once a Scottish laird whose name was Graham”, “In those days, Thomas was a well-known local character”, etc. – which obviously
Chris Linehan
It was a good enough book of fairy tales and an easy read. But, I think it is probably a bit more geared towards children. That said, a couple of stories were better than the others. Tam Lin was a good one, as was The Gold of Fairnlee. My favorite two though were Assipattle and the Mester Stoorworm and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Through The Veil. It's worth a read if you like fairy and folk tales, but not the best collection I've read.
Anka Räubertochter
Dec 08, 2016 Anka Räubertochter rated it it was ok
Shelves: flops
Ich wette, dass es da draußen noch weitaus schönere Sammlungen schottischer Märchen und Volkssagen geben muss, denn diese Anthologie war eher eine Enttäuschung. Es gab leider nur ein paar wenige Geschichten, die mir gut gefallen haben, während der Rest langweilig und/oder schlecht geschrieben war.
Niks
Sep 25, 2008 Niks rated it it was amazing
The tales in this book are so addictive and astonishing...they are just what tales should be like - magical, mystical, fairy. One can learn much from them : about Scottish folklore; how were good and evil introduced into little children's minds; what kind of stories adults loved to tell at gatherings over a drink of mead...
And I just can't forget about the way it's written...well it is BRILLIANT...I don't know wether it's old english or scottish accent, but it gives the reader such a nice and wa
Brian Willis
Jul 10, 2015 Brian Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever go back and read Grimm's fairy tales or some of the Greco-Roman myths and realize they were much darker and more gruesome than you thought as a kid? That is the effect of reading these Scottish origin fairy and folk tales, which at times are brutally gruesome. A nice little collection to plow through in an afternoon or piece by piece over a few weeks. Recommended for all who love fairy tales or Scottish folk tales.
Danielle
Sep 06, 2010 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20in10
I adore reading fairytales before bed. It's the best way to have something lovely in mind while falling asleep without that "just one my chapter" craze that makes me stay up the whole night.

This is a great collection of tales. The storyteller's voice isn't as distinct as in other folk tales I've read, but the stories are great. My favorite is the Lonely Giant.

Enjoy!
Flavia Costadoni
Apr 18, 2015 Flavia Costadoni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brownies, folletti, streghe, bellissime principesse e regine crudeli. Questa deliziosa raccolta di racconti, ci porta in un viaggio in Scozia attraverso le sue storie. Come ogni libri di racconti, la sua bellezza sta nel poter scegliere che storia leggere, si può sceglie da chi o da cosa vogliamo farci incantare.
Emily

Basically, if you want some good stories that are lovely, dark, and often funny, read this.

If you are looking for some narratives (late-18th century onwards, with a heavy twentieth century element)that are not crafted as explicit attempts to (re)create culture and add an antiquarian gloss, read this.

So read it. Then run around reciting Burns for a week or so, which is well-worth doing.
Alicia Wright
Jul 23, 2013 Alicia Wright rated it really liked it
I found both folklore I know well and fairy tales I had never heard of and I enjoyed them all. There was also some actual literature in there, and it was a good mix.

If you like fairytales and folklore, go right ahead and give it a go.
Ari
Dec 24, 2013 Ari rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I wouldn't recommend reading this as 'entertainment' but for historical/anthropological/literary purpose. Most are forgetable (the Conan Doyle one was particularly good). You would read this to see the storytelling way of olden times, and folklore of course. Not much more.
Jan Jørgensen
Jul 23, 2014 Jan Jørgensen rated it it was ok
Ikke den bedste samling men lille og let tilgængelig. Har dog flere eventyr end folke historier. vil anbefale Scottish Folk Tales udgivet af Lomond. Den indeholder mange af de samme historie pluds mange flere og er generelt mere velskrevet.
TOM
Aug 24, 2016 TOM rated it liked it
This is a brief and moderately entertaining collection, amusing in parts. Not thrilling though, it seems a little brief and light on the fantastic and bizarre - also nowhere near enough witchery for my taste. A good introduction but not as fabulous as other fairytale collections I've read.
Kristina Herondale
Jul 21, 2015 Kristina Herondale rated it liked it
There were some stories I didn't like, but generally The book is very enjoyable and entertaining for those who is obviously interested in Scottish Folk or just Fairy tales
Stephanie
May 14, 2014 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Fun and quick-to-read short stories. Most all have a step-mother who is selfish and greedy. Many teach a simple lesson through folk tales and legends and usually have a happy ending.
Karoliina
Oct 09, 2016 Karoliina rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, folk
Some of these are not all that memorable but there are a couple of good ones in there. I especially liked The Lonely Giant - it's a genuinely funny and clever fairy tale.
Brian Richards
Jul 03, 2016 Brian Richards rated it it was amazing
Strange, rather unsettling book...
Rachel (Sfogs)
Dec 18, 2008 Rachel (Sfogs) rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! With the short stories I could just pick it up again and again to read it over!
Mathias
Mathias rated it really liked it
May 24, 2013
Kess
Kess rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Fingon
Fingon rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2011
Hannah Walker
Hannah Walker rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Keely Park
Keely Park rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2013
Łukasz
Łukasz rated it really liked it
May 19, 2012
Wael saleh
Wael saleh rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2013
Truman
Truman rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Léa Silhol
Léa Silhol rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2015
  • Treasury of Irish Myth, Legend & Folklore
  • The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm
  • The Grey Fairy Book
  • Scandinavian Folk & Fairy Tales: Tales From Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland & Iceland
  • Norwegian Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Vanishing People: Fairy Lore and Legends
  • The Yellow Fairy Book
  • Celtic Fairy Tales
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
  • Swedish Folktales and Legends
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • A Complete Guide to Faeries & Magical Beings: Explore the Mystical Realm of the Little People
  • The Victorian Fairy Tale Book (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Best-Loved Folktales of the World
  • Japanese Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales