Start by marking “Long Night Dance (The Seeker Chronicles, #1 )” as Want to Read:
Long Night Dance (The Seeker Chronicles, #1 )

Long Night Dance (The Seeker Chronicles #1)

Fifteen-year-old Kat is more her father's housekeeper than his daughter. Just like all Upslope women, Kat is required to stay close to the hearth and as far away from Downshore and its savage people as possible. Kat must remain "respectable" -- and that means covering her wild red hair, finding a husband to care for, and never singing, swimming, or dancing.But Kat knows th ...more
Published August 23rd 2005 by Simon Pulse (first published August 31st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Long Night Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Night Dance

The Folk Keeper by Franny BillingsleyThe Selkie Pact by Judith FullertonTides by Betsy CornwellA Stranger Came Ashore by Mollie HunterThe Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan
13th out of 70 books — 30 voters
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayBetrayed by P.C. CastTorment by Lauren KateThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonUntamed by P.C. Cast
With Their Backs to the Reader
475th out of 714 books — 230 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 24, 2007 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
once again, i love this series. this is the second book and i must have read it in one night because i couldn't put it down.
Feb 05, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
An amazing hero's journey--three books in the series, and all well worth your time if you love myth and great fiction.
Apr 27, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
This book is perfect in it's simplicity. Different from what I have been reading lately, but refreshing and honest. Kat is a girl who is discovering who she is supposed to be, rather than what she is.
Jan 20, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
Jan 02, 2009 Juliamkennedy rated it it was amazing
ok so this book was really good, the thing was that i had already read the 2nd and 3rd book already so i knew mostly what happened in the book already. this series is really good and i suggest that people should read it!
Taylor rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2009
Allison rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2009
Aug 13, 2009 Lydia rated it really liked it
kind of interesting, except i think it should have been done with the first book instead of being a one needs to know what kat does with the rest of her life :D it was ok but then the other books kind of dragged...
Aug 23, 2009 Sheree rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of YA fantasy
I was captivated by this original, easy-to-read tale, written beautifully in a haunting, poetic style. It's the story of a girl's coming of age, her quest for something better in life and the price that's paid for wanting more. Kat's 'awakening' takes place in a world of opposing culture & views; hatred and understanding, right and wrong, prejudice & acceptance, duty and freedom, land and sea.

Kat is the child of a scandolous marriage between a Hill woman & an Upslope man. She has car
Apr 02, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
This book totally had potential to be one of my favorites but something was missing...the language and culture is sometimes confusing....maybe I'll read the next book in the series and it will be better?
Mar 31, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
I had read this book years ago and loved it. I wondered after picking it up again if I would like it as much as the first time and I have to say that I do!

This is a young adult novel. A coming of age story that as others have said, is poetic.
Jul 11, 2010 kyliemm rated it really liked it
I LOVED THIS BOOK! It definitely had a point--even an agenda, so much so to the point of being didactic. But it was a point I agreed with, so the didacticism (word?) didn't bother me, at least not too much. Overall, I thought this book was a great blend of feminism and fantasy. I loved the characters and the land James invented, and I especially liked that she was a U of U graduate who wrote such an interesting book :)
Aug 15, 2010 Kiana rated it really liked it
This book had everything that I really like: a unique fantasy, a rich cultural background, a little bit of romance, and a great author. The main thing that keeps it from getting five stars is that towards the end, things got a little confusing for me (although, that might have been because it was around one AM when I finished it) and that there is just SOMETHING about Kat's character that I don't like. I think it may be her voice. I find her to be a little, well, stupid for a fifteen year old an ...more
Maegan rated it it was ok
May 15, 2011
Kezia *Mrs Dean Winchester*
Nov 26, 2010 Kezia *Mrs Dean Winchester* rated it really liked it
i am a sucker for a new world evolved from the writer's imaginative mind so i really liked this book. I love everything about it, :D!!
Viohlet rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2011
Mar 17, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
What a beautifully written spell binding book. There was this amazing gap between the people that lived side by side. Then you add a folk tale into this harsh world. It was so well done. But defiantly not for younger readers. There was subtle references to sex all over the book. But it was well done and in context with the book. Very quick read too.
~Geektastic~ rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2011
Lauren rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2012
Paula rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Lolasnapdragon rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Aparna rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Jul 10, 2013 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: girls-15-and-up
Betsy James lives in New Mexico and often teaches writing classes locally--after reading this book, I think I'll sign myself up for one. J.T. has already taken a class from her.

Betsy has a crisp, lyrical, intensely visual voice. In a relatively short book, no, within the first chapter or two, she built a world, a mood, a mystery, and a crisis. Katyesha, entrapped in a life she does not want, calls to a love she does not know. She must decide whether to accept the life she's been living or to fi
Dr. Rebecca
Dr. Rebecca rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2015
Sep 15, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it
Kaitlin Martin
Kaitlin Martin rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
Jun 17, 2016 Lindsey rated it it was ok
It's…okay. I was hoping for more, intrigued by the twist on the Irish selkie myth. It turned out that the selkie (called a Rig in this story), was hardly in the story, but was the catalyst for the protagonist's character change.

I must say that I am extremely done with female characters named any form of "Kat." Katniss (Hunger Games), Katsa (Graceling), Katyesha (Long Night Dance). No more. Please. Think of something else!

Kat's character was too often erratic to me. Her obsession with the Rig boy
Helvine Berinyui
Sep 30, 2016 Helvine Berinyui rated it liked it
the book was good in general. but when i first started to read the book i had doubts about it because it has o much grammar and i just wasn't understanding what they were saying. But i decided to stay with the book because i started to understand it i love the romance between the two characters nall and kat i expected more romance but i'm still happy with what i read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Nightpool (Dragonbards, #1)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 4
  • Letters from Atlantis
  • The Woman Who Loved Reindeer
  • Dream Stalker: Talented: Book 1
  • Tidal Whispers
  • Grave Beginnings (The Grave Report, #1)
  • The Only Living Boy #1: Prisoner of the Patchwork Planet
  • Another Fine Myth / Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #1-2)
  • Northlander (Tales of the Borderlands, #1)
  • Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom
  • Firegold
  • Fitcher's Brides
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Never
  • Returning My Sister's Face and Other Far Eastern Tales of Whimsy and Malice
  • Cygnet (Cygnet, #1-2)
  • The Secret of Roan Inish
Award-winning author-illustrator Betsy James has written and/or illustrated more than a dozen books for children and young adults. She lives in New Mexico where she hikes, grows corn, and shares the shade of a cottonwood tree with one small ground squirrel and several toads.

More about Betsy James...

The Seeker Chronicles (3 books)
  • Dark Heart (The Seeker Chronicles, #2)
  • Listening at the Gate (The Seeker Chronicles, #3)