Start by marking “The Named” as Want to Read:
The Named

The Named (Guardians of Time #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  6,559 Ratings  ·  422 Reviews
The first installment of Curley's trilogy is now available in paperback. Swashbuckling time-travel plus soap-opera relationships make for a page-turning start to a promised trilogy.--Kirkus Reviews.
Published by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Named, please sign up.

Gazettu There aren't. It's more like a fantasy books for teenagers like me. It's not WOW THIS IS SO GOOD but it's entertaining :)

Aug 07, 2015 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread August 2 to 7, 2015 for #fivefaves

Maybe more of a 3.5/5 stars. NOT SURE.
Well I still really liked this book, but I'm not sure if I can count it in one of my faves anymore. I still really love the story and overall concept - they are so unique and wonderful that it's hard NOT to love them. However the writing is so SO bad. It's something I definitely wouldn't have noticed as much years ago, but it's really bad. The character development is definitely lacking as well, and the characters bei
Sep 30, 2008 Arya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What if you could protect the traveling into the Past

The Named- where the Gaurdians of Time travel into history to protect life as we know from the Goddess of Chaos, a rampaging Immortal intent on taking over the world.

Ethan- a member of "The Named", part of a prophecy made years ago fortelling the end of the battle that rages between Lorian and the Goddess, and the main character of the book. He has been promoted to "Trainer" and his apprentice is - his ex-best friend' sister- whic

The first half of this book was just like all the other YA paranormals that I’ve grown so tired of - teenagers in class, passing notes, grumpy teachers, girl & boy working together, one with a crush on the other. Depressing home lives, parent and sibling issues, blah blah. Not a lot actually happens at first, but I could see where it was going and was quickly falling into eye-rolling mode, fighting boredom and frustration. How many times have I seen these clichés play out by now?

When I picke
Very adventurous, a definite page turner.

It had me wanting more after each chapter, i literally could not put this book down.

The characters are a fine set all with their own personality.

My only complaint is that they were not defined much, as in, i had no idea how they looked like. At times Curley would describe a few of their qualities, but not enough to get a strong image.

If anything, all i got a good image of was when they turned into someone else. Arkarian is my favorite character along wit
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
Meet Bob

Now we can tell that Bob is going to work but what is his job?
He could be a businessman, a lawyer, a clown, an assassin, a secret agent, a doctor, or that might not even be his briefcase at all!
What about his personality?
He looks happy in this picture but what if one of his friends just died and he's trying to look happy since that's what his friend wants?
What if he has an evil plan inside that head of his?
The thing is...
We don't know Bob.
That's what I felt like when I read this book.
I k
Sep 30, 2013 Faye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best books you'll ever read. I just finished the second one, The Dark, and it was even better than the first--if that's possible. Anyway, I am off to read the third and I highly recommend this to everyone, especially fans of sci-fi, mystery, fiction and fantasy.
Feb 04, 2009 Booker rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! "The Named" is a great time travel book: exciting, magical, historical, and had a bit of romance. It was a little confusing in places, but overall it was a great page turner that will have you scrambling for the rest of the trilogy.
Allison A
Aug 20, 2010 Allison A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome! It involved time travel, drama, and mystery. I really enjoy books that aren't predictable. I just pulled this off the shelf not expecting much, and would really enjoy reading the others. It kept me going and I read it in three days.
Nilin Börekçi
Sep 12, 2016 Nilin Börekçi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 tan 5 puan,

Karakterlerin yaşları ilk sorun bence. İkincisi ise de, ki bu benden kaynaklanıyor, -kitabı daha önce okuduğum için- bazı yerlerde sıkılmam ve ne olacağını anlamamdı. Buna rağmen, kitap bazı kısımlarda beni cidden şaşırttı, hayrete düşürdü.

Bu seriyi cidden çok seviyorum. Neden bu kadar az kişi okumuş veya neden bu kadar az biliniyor, hiçbir fikrim yok fakar, fantastik bir hikaye okumak istiyorsanız eğer, Anılan dan başlamanızı kesinlikle öneririm.
So I finished the book and I certainly enjoyed the time that I was reading it, but I feel that this only deserves 3 stars because anything higher should be reserved for particularly good work. This was candy.

But the candy tasted a little bitter because with such an intriguiging concept, the execution was a bit of a disappointment. There could have been so many interesting theames explored with the idea of how tightly interwoven events in space-time are. But it often seemed like the timetravel a
Sandra Pulliam
Mar 06, 2012 Sandra Pulliam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Marianne Curley had me from hello! This book starts out with a bang and ends pretty much the same way! I was glued to the book and didn't want to put it down.

The main character Ethan is my favorite. Isabelle runs a close second but Ethan is who stole my heart. I love the time travel! Going back in time to make sure all goes as planned. It's a great and different concept that was a nice break from vampires, werewolves and all other supernatural reads.

I already have "The Dark" so I'm lo
I was really excited about this got such a high rating and seemed like such a fantastic premise. Maybe that's why it seemed to fall short.

Ethan is a Guardian of Time; he travels to the past in order to keep evil denizens from the Order of Chaos from changing it, thus affecting the future. Of course Ethan's only a teenager, but he's already very good at what he does. So the Guard decides to test him by giving him the willful Isabel as his new apprentice. But Isabel's initiation brings
This book is the literary equivalent of Chinese food. You really enjoy it sometimes, you share it with friends who enjoy it too, and an hour later you forget it because it didn't really satisfy you in some fundamental way.

The better attributes of the book are the greater-than-average number of ideas included in the plot and the fantasy elements. Interesting choices of destinations in time and historical figures to meet (not the obvious choices) set the book apart right away. Then the descriptio

As a child I had a penchant for repetition, a penchant I have been weaning myself from for years. By repetition I mean that I would read a book once, return it to the library and three months later re-borrow that book. It was a guarantee that I would find something in my holidays that was worth reading. The later books in this series here are among those books which I re-borrowed aplenty.

The Named itself is easily one of the weaker books in this series, however the fantastical ideas within it se
I can not put this series down. It is so interesting. The characters are real and I love the story. I am always on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next. I like that you get to see into two charcters minds. It is such a great book. Easy to understand and fun to figure out.
Mar 14, 2011 Momo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I will have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this book. The back cover promised to portray a story of excitement and romance which was quite misleading. The premise of the story was excellent, but the delivery was flat. The characters are not fully developed and the connections between characters are also not explored to satisfaction. Time travel isn’t real, and the author did a good job of remind me of that while reading. None of it seemed to transcend reality: the characters, plot, e ...more
Sarah Primivera
May 18, 2009 Sarah Primivera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit odd at first... i felt rushed into the whole excitement and worried that it would get worse. The beginning was off-putting but it quickly saved itself. The beginning was quite predictable but once i felt like i knew the whole book it flipped in a matter of seconds. It has a great story and i'm excited to see what else will be done with the idea. I do love how everything is far from perfect and characters are tested and its just all really great. I hope it only gets better from here

Sep 24, 2015 Lia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-read
Intriguing plot. Brilliant ideas of a new world. An ending somewhat satisfied.

BUT ...

The world building is lacking ... The explanation on time, on the 2nd world and on how things come to be is not very well done. We get to know things on the surface,and I hate that! I like to know everything there is to know and more.

The character's development is also lacking for lots of characters. So far, Ethan the main boy is the only one I like, mostly because his actions made senses. The rest, they aren
I liked the concept, and the historical element was fun.
The characters were interesting, and I especially liked Arkarian, Isabel and Ethan, in that order.

However, I felt the prose seemed to be aimed at a younger audience, and it would go from being very simplistic to extremely intricate plot devices at the drop of a hat. The imagery was good, but sometimes I felt lost rather than in the moment.

Also, everyone has a soul-mate, and they're all conveniently going to find each other.

I just was
May 14, 2008 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a YA book, first of 3, even though it seems there should be one before it. Its about boy who witnessed his sisters abduction by a monster, who turns out to be his father's partner turned rouge in a group called Gaurdian of Time. A group of people with supernatural abilities fight against the evil goddess who wants to change history so she can rule the world.

I really liked this book, it was entertaining and kept me in suspense, even the sappy romantic stuff in it. Very well written and I
Feb 09, 2014 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just okay for me. The basic premise--guarding history through going back in time and thwarting attempts to change it--was interesting, but the motives of those seeking to change history were not believable, and the characters seemed superficial. Absent of any surprises and turns, the plot was predictable. All in all it was a pleasant read but that is similar to labeling one's new hairstyle "different" or "interesting".
I got this from the library when I was about 11 or 12, and took it on holiday with me. I remember devouring it and wanting to go home from my holiday, purely so I could read the next one. I still love the series now, and re-read them every so often. They're a quick and easy read, and the story is gripping. If you're a fan of history, the books are especially appealing. I also liked that one of the main characters shared my name ;)
Selin Kamaş
Sep 14, 2012 Selin Kamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Eski yorumlarımı güncellerken bu seriyi hatırladım.Ne severim bu seriyi. :)) Bu kadar kaliteli seri az olur. Okumayan varsa okusun. Hatta hemen okusun. Herkes okusun. Lütfen, okusun. İsterseniz kitabı araştırın, inanın okursanız pişman olmazsınız. :)) Yani bence olmazsınız, sadece bir şans verin. :)
Nov 18, 2014 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo había leido hace muchos años, y la verdad solo me acordaba por encima,y ahora lo volvi a leer al hacerme con toda la trilogía me arrepiento de no haberla conseguido antes, me ha gustado mucho la historia y como se va contando. Pronto, una opinión más extensa en
April (Aprilius Maximus)
THIS WAS SO GREAT. The writing honestly wasn't amazing, but the unique premise and the riveting plot certainly made up for that. I can't wait to continue on with this series!
Riley Blue
Espero leer el siguiente pronto, este libro ha sido muy bueno, no necesariamente lo-mejor-que-he-leído, pero bueno.
Oct 14, 2012 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Entertaining YA fantasy read, though I would probably have enjoyed it more had I read it when I was younger.
Mar 27, 2012 Bianca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank God I bought the whole series... I can't put them down!
kisses all around!
Oct 15, 2016 Fallingstar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read this book about five years ago while I was in high school and really enjoyed it. I still remembered the story years later and was so devastated when I couldn't remember the title. I spent months tracking it down because I remembered the general plot and was so excited when I found it again. This story was every bit enchanting as I remembered. It is a fantasy story that is about these two teenagers who have different magical abilities and it is there job to go back to specific points i ...more
Vasatın biraz üstünde bir genç yetişkin kitabı. Altmetin-üstmetin yok, direkt olay var. Bu da bir şeydir tabii. Yani. Sanırım.
  • Sorcerers of the Nightwing (The Ravenscliff, #1)
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • Red is for Remembrance (Blue is for Nightmares, #4)
  • The Pace (The Pace, #1)
  • Prisoner of Time (Time Travelers, #3)
  • Queen of Atlantis
  • City of Stars (Stravaganza, #2)
  • Silvermay (Silvermay, #1)
  • Burnt Snow
  • Pucker
  • La llamada de los muertos (Crónicas De La Torre, #3)
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • Searching for Arthur (The Return to Camelot, #1)
  • Methodius Buslaev: The Midnight Wizard (Methodius Buslaev #1)
  • Falcondance (The Kiesha'ra, #3)
  • Arrival (Strangers of Paragor, #1)
  • A Well-Timed Enchantment
  • Magic or Madness (Magic or Madness, #1)
I loved reading from a young age and scoured my school libraries during my younger years, but I never thought I would become a writer. It was not until my mid-thirties, while teaching office studies and computers to adults at the Coffs Harbour Education Campus that I began to think seriously about writing. I took several courses and experimented with different styles and genres. With two teenage d ...more
More about Marianne Curley...

Guardians of Time (3 books)
  • The Dark (Guardians of Time, #2)
  • The Key (Guardians of Time, #3)

“Isabel sends her brother a look that could boil him in oil if she had that particular paranormal talent. A thought hits me: maybe she has. It will be fun to find out.” 16 likes