Start by marking “The Named” as Want to Read:
The Named

The Named (Guardians of Time #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  5,803 ratings  ·  386 reviews
Ethan is one of the Named, fated to stop this ever happening, although the forces of chaos have other ideas and Ethan is finding it more and more difficult to stay one step ahead. He is also a normal schoolboy, whose life is rapidly becoming far too confusing. So when Isabel arrives on the scene she is only going to make matters worse or is she?
Published (first published January 1st 2002)

Elica
Very adventurous, a definite page turner.

It had me wanting more after each chapter, i literally could not put this book down.

The characters are a fine set all with their own personality.

My only complaint is that they were not defined much, as in, i had no idea how they looked like. At times Curley would describe a few of their qualities, but not enough to get a strong image.

If anything, all i got a good image of was when they turned into someone else. Arkarian is my favorite character along wit
Arya
What if you could protect the Future...by traveling into the Past

The Named- where the Gaurdians of Time travel into history to protect life as we know from the Goddess of Chaos, a rampaging Immortal intent on taking over the world.

Ethan- a member of "The Named", part of a prophecy made years ago fortelling the end of the battle that rages between Lorian and the Goddess, and the main character of the book. He has been promoted to "Trainer" and his apprentice is - his ex-best friend' sister- whic
Allison

The first half of this book was just like all the other YA paranormals that I’ve grown so tired of - teenagers in class, passing notes, grumpy teachers, girl & boy working together, one with a crush on the other. Depressing home lives, parent and sibling issues, blah blah. Not a lot actually happens at first, but I could see where it was going and was quickly falling into eye-rolling mode, fighting boredom and frustration. How many times have I seen these clichés play out by now?

When I picke
Booker
This book was fantastic! "The Named" is a great time travel book: exciting, magical, historical, and had a bit of romance. It was a little confusing in places, but overall it was a great page turner that will have you scrambling for the rest of the trilogy.
Sandra Pulliam
Once again Marianne Curley had me from hello! This book starts out with a bang and ends pretty much the same way! I was glued to the book and didn't want to put it down.

The main character Ethan is my favorite. Isabelle runs a close second but Ethan is who stole my heart. I love the time travel! Going back in time to make sure all goes as planned. It's a great and different concept that was a nice break from vampires, werewolves and all other supernatural reads.

I already have "The Dark" so I'm lo
Faye
This book is one of the best books you'll ever read. I just finished the second one, The Dark, and it was even better than the first--if that's possible. Anyway, I am off to read the third and I highly recommend this to everyone, especially fans of sci-fi, mystery, fiction and fantasy.
Allison A
This book was awesome! It involved time travel, drama, and mystery. I really enjoy books that aren't predictable. I just pulled this off the shelf not expecting much, and would really enjoy reading the others. It kept me going and I read it in three days.
Lonewolf
So I finished the book and I certainly enjoyed the time that I was reading it, but I feel that this only deserves 3 stars because anything higher should be reserved for particularly good work. This was candy.

But the candy tasted a little bitter because with such an intriguiging concept, the execution was a bit of a disappointment. There could have been so many interesting theames explored with the idea of how tightly interwoven events in space-time are. But it often seemed like the timetravel a
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
Meet Bob

Now we can tell that Bob is going to work but what is his job?
He could be a businessman, a lawyer, a clown, an assassin, a secret agent, a doctor, or that might not even be his briefcase at all!
What about his personality?
He looks happy in this picture but what if one of his friends just died and he's trying to look happy since that's what his friend wants?
What if he has an evil plan inside that head of his?
The thing is...
We don't know Bob.
That's what I felt like when I read this book.
I k
Jonathan

As a child I had a penchant for repetition, a penchant I have been weaning myself from for years. By repetition I mean that I would read a book once, return it to the library and three months later re-borrow that book. It was a guarantee that I would find something in my holidays that was worth reading. The later books in this series here are among those books which I re-borrowed aplenty.

The Named itself is easily one of the weaker books in this series, however the fantastical ideas within it se
Victoria
I was really excited about this book...it got such a high rating and seemed like such a fantastic premise. Maybe that's why it seemed to fall short.

Ethan is a Guardian of Time; he travels to the past in order to keep evil denizens from the Order of Chaos from changing it, thus affecting the future. Of course Ethan's only a teenager, but he's already very good at what he does. So the Guard decides to test him by giving him the willful Isabel as his new apprentice. But Isabel's initiation brings
Tawny
I can not put this series down. It is so interesting. The characters are real and I love the story. I am always on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next. I like that you get to see into two charcters minds. It is such a great book. Easy to understand and fun to figure out.
snowplum
This book is the literary equivalent of Chinese food. You really enjoy it sometimes, you share it with friends who enjoy it too, and an hour later you forget it because it didn't really satisfy you in some fundamental way.

The better attributes of the book are the greater-than-average number of ideas included in the plot and the fantasy elements. Interesting choices of destinations in time and historical figures to meet (not the obvious choices) set the book apart right away. Then the descriptio
Sarah Primivera
It was a bit odd at first... i felt rushed into the whole excitement and worried that it would get worse. The beginning was off-putting but it quickly saved itself. The beginning was quite predictable but once i felt like i knew the whole book it flipped in a matter of seconds. It has a great story and i'm excited to see what else will be done with the idea. I do love how everything is far from perfect and characters are tested and its just all really great. I hope it only gets better from here

I
Momo
I will have to say that I was pretty disappointed with this book. The back cover promised to portray a story of excitement and romance which was quite misleading. The premise of the story was excellent, but the delivery was flat. The characters are not fully developed and the connections between characters are also not explored to satisfaction. Time travel isn’t real, and the author did a good job of remind me of that while reading. None of it seemed to transcend reality: the characters, plot, e ...more
Mairead
I liked the concept, and the historical element was fun.
The characters were interesting, and I especially liked Arkarian, Isabel and Ethan, in that order.

However, I felt the prose seemed to be aimed at a younger audience, and it would go from being very simplistic to extremely intricate plot devices at the drop of a hat. The imagery was good, but sometimes I felt lost rather than in the moment.

Also, everyone has a soul-mate, and they're all conveniently going to find each other.
Hmm.

I just was
Vicki
This is a YA book, first of 3, even though it seems there should be one before it. Its about boy who witnessed his sisters abduction by a monster, who turns out to be his father's partner turned rouge in a group called Gaurdian of Time. A group of people with supernatural abilities fight against the evil goddess who wants to change history so she can rule the world.

I really liked this book, it was entertaining and kept me in suspense, even the sappy romantic stuff in it. Very well written and I
Aelvana
Ethan is one of the Guards who preserves history the way it was supposed to happen---that is, the way it originally happened (no questions of destiny here, although it certainly would've been appropriate). As part of his duties he is asked to take on an apprentice, Isabel, the sister of his former best friend. As if that wasn't enough to worry about, the man that killed Ethan's sister right in front of him when he was four years old has reappeared ready to ruin Ethan's life again.

Although the co
Patty
This book was just okay for me. The basic premise--guarding history through going back in time and thwarting attempts to change it--was interesting, but the motives of those seeking to change history were not believable, and the characters seemed superficial. Absent of any surprises and turns, the plot was predictable. All in all it was a pleasant read but that is similar to labeling one's new hairstyle "different" or "interesting".
Rinn
I got this from the library when I was about 11 or 12, and took it on holiday with me. I remember devouring it and wanting to go home from my holiday, purely so I could read the next one. I still love the series now, and re-read them every so often. They're a quick and easy read, and the story is gripping. If you're a fan of history, the books are especially appealing. I also liked that one of the main characters shared my name ;)
Sub_zero
2/5

Como parte de mi objetivo marcado durante este año en el reto 'El bloguero recomienda', una de las lecturas de marzo ha sido Los elegidos, primer volumen de una trilogía juvenil que escarcea sin éxito entre un enorme batiburrillo de ideas con desbordante potencial, pero que bajo mi punto de vista no han sabido llevarse a buen puerto. Personajes contradictorios e irritantes, un estilo carente de interés y un desarrollo argumental en líneas generales bastante chapucero son tres ejemplos de por
Selin Kamaş
Eski yorumlarımı güncellerken bu seriyi hatırladım.Ne severim bu seriyi. :)) Bu kadar kaliteli seri az olur. Okumayan varsa okusun. Hatta hemen okusun. Herkes okusun. Lütfen, okusun. İsterseniz kitabı araştırın, inanın okursanız pişman olmazsınız. :)) Yani bence olmazsınız, sadece bir şans verin. :)
Mangrii
Lo había leido hace muchos años, y la verdad solo me acordaba por encima,y ahora lo volvi a leer al hacerme con toda la trilogía me arrepiento de no haberla conseguido antes, me ha gustado mucho la historia y como se va contando. Pronto, una opinión más extensa en www.boywithletters.blogspot.com.es
Nathalie Morales
The book "The Named" was a book that was mixed with fantasy and reality. There are two main characters in the book, Ethan and Isabel. In the beginning of the story Ethan finds out that he has powers and he is sixteen years old. Then Isabel comes in the book. Ethan and Isabel were best friends when they were younger. Ethan trains with the coordinator of the guards. Ethan realizes he has the power to stay 18 forever, he can also read others minds. Isabel and Ethan are able to go back in time and c ...more
Caitlin Mitchell
In the first few chapters of "The Named" the main character, Ethan is introduced. He is an intelligent 16 year old boy who has spent the last 12 years of his life working as a member of the Guard, a secret society of "named" people who work to protect the past, and future. Ethan's membership to the Guard becomes more interesting when he is assigned an Apprentice named Isabel. They must work together to stop the future from changing, work through events that occured in the past and protect the on ...more
Riley Blue
Espero leer el siguiente pronto, este libro ha sido muy bueno, no necesariamente lo-mejor-que-he-leído, pero bueno.
Denise
Entertaining YA fantasy read, though I would probably have enjoyed it more had I read it when I was younger.
Bianca
Thank God I bought the whole series... I can't put them down!
kisses all around!
Soph
Ok, I'll admit it. This was one of those books that I picked up JUST because of the cover. I like to think otherwise but it's true. I was in a section of a library where EVERY SINGLE BOOK looked the same. So I picked up this book. And God, I'm glad I did.
This was the first book I've ever read which took different perspectives on the story, although I've read quite a few since. It was so effective as it just made you love both the characters and empathise with them that bit more. Ingenious story,
Nɪɴᴀ {Words and Water}
3.5 stars. It was interesting, I did like the whole time travel thing. Isabel wasn't bad as a character. Ethan too. Those are the pros. I read this through, though it was both fast and slow, with good parts and not so great parts. Although none of the characters really annoyed me. Oh wait, I lie, Matt REALLY irritated me.

The finer details:
~ Told from switching perspectives, Ethan and Isabel.
~ The main characters are ranged between 15-16.
~ There's a "Guard" who are good, people who are "Named", a
  • Dreams of the Ringed Vale (Luthiel's Song, #1)
  • Magic or Madness (Magic or Madness, #1)
  • Genesis (The Rosie Black Chronicles, #1)
  • Queen of Atlantis
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • Sorcerers of the Nightwing (The Ravenscliff, #1)
  • Alas negras (Ahriel, #2)
  • A Matter of Magic (Mairelon, #1-2)
  • Sacred Scars (A Resurrection of Magic, #2)
  • The Gauntlet Thrown (Gauntlet Trilogy, #1)
  • Arrival (Strangers of Paragor, #1)
  • The Fetch
  • The Crystal Mask (The Echorium Sequence, #2)
  • Silver Is for Secrets (Blue is for Nightmares, #3)
  • Silvermay (Silvermay, #1)
  • The Order of Odd-Fish
I loved reading from a young age and scoured my school libraries during my younger years, but I never thought I would become a writer. It was not until my mid-thirties, while teaching office studies and computers to adults at the Coffs Harbour Education Campus that I began to think seriously about writing. I took several courses and experimented with different styles and genres. With two teenage d ...more
More about Marianne Curley...

Guardians of Time (3 books)
  • The Dark (Guardians of Time, #2)
  • The Key (Guardians of Time, #3)
Old Magic The Dark (Guardians of Time, #2) The Key (Guardians of Time, #3) Hidden (Avena, #1) Broken (Avena, #2)

“Isabel sends her brother a look that could boil him in oil if she had that particular paranormal talent. A thought hits me: maybe she has. It will be fun to find out.” 12 likes