Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5)

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  1,468,418 ratings  ·  19,583 reviews
Harry Potter is due to start his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His best friends Ron and Hermione have been very secretive all summer and he is desperate to get back to school and find out what has been going on. However, what Harry discovers is far more devastating than he could ever have expected...

Hardcover, First Edition, 766 pages
Published June 21st 2003 by Bloomsbury Publishing (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, please sign up.

Meredith I was seven when I first read it, and I don't feel like I missed out on any of the themes or anything, nor was I particularly disturbed or confused.…moreI was seven when I first read it, and I don't feel like I missed out on any of the themes or anything, nor was I particularly disturbed or confused. Yes, it has heavy topics, but having grown up with the series I feel like it's important for children to read about heavy topics if they understand them. Complex story lines and ideas shouldn't exclude children, if the individual child is ready for it.(less)
RetaD نعم يمكنك الشراء الكتاب من امارون
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. TolkienSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Top Ten Fantasy Adventure Novels
16th out of 245 books — 471 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerMateguas Island by Linda  WatkinsInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceSalem's Lot by Stephen KingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Supernatural Fiction
26th out of 738 books — 553 voters

More lists with this book...

I cried like a little baby. J.K. Rowling really starts taking the series down a darker road in this book. She is so talented at character development, and it really shines in this book. Here, Harry is 15 years old, and for most of the book, he's whiny and self-centered, just like a typical teenager. I also adore Dumbledore's role in this book--his conversation at the end with Harry put me to tears. Rowling did an amazing job with the character of Umbridge...never have I hated a fictional charact ...more
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]

Interview with JK Rowling...
Stephen Fry: Can we settle an important question?

JK Rowling: Yes.

Stephen Fry: How do you pronounce your last name?

JK Rowling: It is Row-ling. As in rolling pin.

Stephen Fry: So if any of you hear someone pronounce her name “Rohw-ling”, you have my permission to hit them over the head with — not with Order of the Phoenix, that would be cruel. Something smaller, like a fridge.
Dear Amazon,

Congratulations on your recent acquisition of Goodreads. It is a good purchase, a meaningful one. It’s like buying someone else’s grandfather’s house. Or a classic car someone else rebuilt. You know it’s a quality product because a lot of folks really sunk their hearts into it. For a lot of us, it’s been a labor of love. We’ve spent years carefully cultivating this community that you were lucky enough to buy.

This occasion reminds me a lot of one of my favorite books, Harry Potter and
SO many feels!!!
I really love this book. The plot and world gets so complex, and I'm very happy to get answers and explanations at the end!
This one was a crazy, scary, and ... frustrating.. (Umbridge) ride, but still so fun.
Raeleen Lemay
Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas To You

ok. I will start by saying that this is one of my least favorite books in the series, and that isn't because it's bad, BECAUSE IT IS DEFINITELY NOT. It's mainly due to the fact that I hate Umbridge more than words can translate, and having to read about her so much just infuriates me, rather than giving me warm fuzzies the entire time I'm reading.

That being said, here are some of my thoughts on the book:

-mention of Regulus Black near the beginni
Dear Dolores Umbridge,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(view spoiler)
Nour Sharif
Edit #3: 27/3/2015
I am still getting positive feedback over this and every time I read what you guys and girls have told me, my heart swells.
Gosh, I am so proud of this review.

Edit #2: 25\7\2014
So I came across this article today, and for some reason, it made me happy!! I feel evil *evil laugh*

Edit #1: 8\3\2014
It has been four months that I posted this review. And so far I have received great feedback. Thank you everyone for yo#ur support ^^
Jun 28, 2007 Annie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tried and true Harry Potter fans
This is my least favourite of the Harry Potter series, and almost borders on the "don't bother". It is saved only by the virtue that it is a Harry Potter book and moves the series along to the still yet unknown finale.
My issues with it:
- deals with complex social/political problems in a simplified, extreme, and dichotomous manner
- characterisations are too easy/lazy- all good or all bad (with the exception of Snape who's good/evil intentions are yet unknown), all courageous or cowardly,

Seriously, don't read this review if you haven't read the books.

The biggest compliment I can think to give an 870 page book is that I wish it had been longer. I wish this had been longer.

This book has always been my favorite in the series. Up until it, Harry’s story had been filled with light. Yes, yes, there were some tough parts, yes, yes, some darkness tinged the edges of the previous one, but honestly, that was a pretty happy book compared to this. Good still triumphed over evil, our hero

Bunny Suicide 1
Bunny Suicide 2

Instead of a review, I’m just going to share my memories of this book. Back when this came out was the high time of midnight bookstore release parties. Yes, I did go to one and no, I didn’t dress up.

It was held at a Barnes and Noble and of course John Williams’s soundtrack for the first 2 movies was played on a loop throughout the night. Amidst the crowd eagerly awaiting the stroke of 12, were tired adult chaperones and sullen workers who had had enough already. My brother brought me to the stor
Juliana Zapata
Maravilloso, increíble!! Este libro me dejó destrozada, con los ojos hinchados de llorar y con el corazón en pedacitos.

La historia y los personajes han madurado mucho, el libro tiene un ritmo perfecto y es una ruleta rusa de emociones. Hay nuevos misterios y nuevos descubrimientos, amé este libro como he amado a los demás de la saga.

Odie con mi alma a Dolores Umbridge

Reseña Completa:
(9 3/4) Gerasimos Kyritsis
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.

The copy I own is not signed by J. K. Rowling but it is signed by Daniel Radcliffe!

Ademilson Moraes
Adolescence is not an easy stage of life. I remember when I was a teenager I would often find myself having fits of anger without any reason at all. I would be pissed with people that I did not even know, I would antagonize my parents and friends just for the sake of doing it. As Harry is now a fifteen year old, we find him going through all this hormonal problems. Throw in the mixture the fact that there is a psychopath trying to kill him while no one believes what he says and, to worsen the si ...more
J.G. Keely
This is my favorite installment of the quintessential modern bildungsroman. Nevertheless, it has its problems, familiar to any reader of Rowling's.

She never seems to gain control of her writing, which spirals out into thousand-page doorstops filled with unimportant side characters and rambling plots. The story is moved along by arbitrary plot devices, often magic. Instead of using the magic to make her world seem more strange and wondrous, she uses it to cover up plot holes. Why write a consiste
Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 Carmen Maloy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
What stands out in book 5:

* Harry's outburst to his friends at No. 12 Grimmauld Place. A combination of frustration over being kept in the dark and fear that he will be expelled fuels much of Harry's anger, and it all comes out at once, directly aimed at Ron and Hermione. Rowling perfectly portrays Harry's frustration at being too old to shirk responsibility, but too young to be accepted as part of the fight that he knows is coming.
* Harry's detention with Professor Umbridge. Rowling shows her
“Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure.”

Each time & every time I start an HP book I'm blown away by how much every book is different than the last one..

From the very beginning of the book, just like Harry, I was mad at Dumbledore cause he really seemed to ignoring Harry, which as a fact he was, but then at last when Dumbledore told Harry the reasons why he had been acting so distant I couldn't help feeling sorry for Dumbledore and the fact that instead of stopping Harry from sho
Franco  Santos
No sé qué decir... Es increíble. Gracias, Rowling, por esto...., gracias.

Los jóvenes no pueden saber cómo piensan ni cómo sienten los ancianos, pero los ancianos cometemos un error si olvidamos qué significa ser joven.

Tu incapacidad para comprender que hay cosas mucho peores que la muerte siempre ha sido tu mayor debilidad
Mohammed Arabey
Forget the movie, it's just a 2 hours trailer for the Novel..
أول أجزاء هاري بوتر التي يغلفها أجواء ثورية أورويلية
حيث بمجرد ظهور خطر يهدد مجتمع السحرة، خطر يجب أن يتم اﻷعداد لمواجهته ومحاربته فإن الوزارة نفت تماما الخبر لأنه جاء من هاري بوتر..ودمبلدور
رأت أنها لن تصدق شابا صغيرا ورجل له مكانته وشعبيته لظنهم إنه يسعي لتولي منصب الوزير
فرات الوزارة أن التعتيم الأعلام للمجتمع هو الحل ...بثت الأكاذيب عنهما ووصفت هاري بالكذب والسعي للشهرة..بل وقامت بتلفيق التهم له
قامت بالرقابة المشددة علي الطلبة خوفا م
Cait Grace
AHHHH I AM FINALLY FINISHD. *collapses in a puddle* Peoples, I usually read a book in a day, two days if it's big, three if it's super huge. THIS BOOK TOOK ME FOREVER. I know there a lot of super-keen Potter fans out there, so, um, you may not want to read this review. But! But! WAIT! The biggest thing you need to know is: I seriously love this series. I do. It's so detailed and thorough and interesting and I totally see why it's captured the world in it's wizarding claws. BUT. I didn't grow up ...more
A week ago I would've told you this was my least favorite Harry Potter novel. A week ago I would've told you that Harry seems so bratty, and the story just isn't that interesting in this iteration.

I want to travel in time to a week ago and slap myself.

I haven't reread this book in years. Probably since I was in 8th grade (for those curious I just celebrated my 20th birthday). I was more than content to just watch the movie if I eve needed my OotP fix. Flash forward to last year, where I stopped
Why does the biggest book in this series (I like big books and I cannot lie) have to have the most annoying character (Umbridge)? I feel awful saying she deserved what she got.. but she definitely deserved what she got.

Oh, and the Weasley twins are everything.
Liz* Fashionably Late
"[Love] is at once more wonderful and more terrible than death, than human intelligence, than the forces of nature."

Luna is so sweet, I love every time she speaks. There's so much wisdom in her and you don't even know it.

You bet your sorry ass he's back and you and a-hole Perry can go and hide now...

This woman was seriously fucked up.

Still, I don't like bullies.

Book Ginny is amazing. Movie Ginny is criminal...

That ending. THAT ENDING. And only Dumbledore can say: it was all my fault because
I've been told this was the most difficult to read of the series and I found it to be true. Harry is full of teen angst and spends a lot of the book furious (and being quite infuriating) at the fact that nothing is happening, and that when things do happen, he's not allowed to be involved. Of course not being allowed do things should never stop a boy like Harry Potter from getting involved - except that amazingly it does.

This book isn’t really so much about Harry Potter, but about all the other
Reread in December 2014 for harryxmastoyou

This one took me so long to get through because of so many things coming up but it was still great! I feel like as the books get later there are so many things I forgot were in there that weren't in the movie, like the fight scene at the end is TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I really loved this book this time around.
Jason Koivu
Why won't I let myself give this more than 3 stars?! I want to, I really do, but my cursor-moving finger won't budge! Let's investigate the whys!

Length - This is the longest book in the series. I love the Harry Potter series, so I should want more of it, right? I don't know, sometimes a lot is too much. Rowling did her best to pack a lot into this one and it feels too bulgy. If this was carry-on luggage, TSA would make her check it for going over the size limit.

Dolores Umbridge - What a great e
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
So... I'm at my mother's house and there my old paperback edition of this book sits, taunting me, challenging me to read it for the hundredth time. How can I resist Harry??

This is my least favourite book in the series because Harry acts like a self-righteous jerk but it is still one of the best books I've ever read. And the end always makes me cry like a baby.

Crazy Uncle Ryan
Mike (the Paladin)
Wonderful book...only complaint I ever heard was it was too short. Still the emotional toll of this book is heavier than the ones before and it is more a young "adult" book than a "youth" book. As I've pointed out before, the original "generation reading these books had more time to mature between the publishing date of each book. Now they can be bought all together. Harry goes through some amazingly tough times (and doesn't handle some of them too well). Read these books before you simply turn ...more
Umbridge 8 70 Oct 04, 2015 10:36AM
What is your Favorite Character In Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 5 17 Oct 04, 2015 01:14AM
Dumbledore's Army 3 37 Sep 28, 2015 05:25PM
How good was this book to you? 2 29 Sep 26, 2015 10:42PM
Was the movie dissapointing compared to the book? 40 197 Sep 26, 2015 10:37PM
A book about Snape!! 21 157 Sep 26, 2015 08:03PM
  • Lady Knight (Protector of the Small, #4)
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • A Fúria dos Reis (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #3)
  • The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3)
  • Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)
  • Kinderen van Moeder Aarde (De Toekomsttrilogie, #1)
  • The Novice (Black Magician, #2)
  • The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • The Isle of Illusion (Deltora Shadowlands, #2)
  • The Key (Guardians of Time, #3)
  • Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories (Abhorsen)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)