Start by marking “Holes (Holes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Holes (Holes, #1)

Holes (Holes #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  700,296 Ratings  ·  14,392 Reviews
Stanley Yelnats is under a curse. A curse that began with his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather and has since followed generations of Yelnatses. Now Stanley has been unjustly sent to a boys’ detention center, Camp Green Lake, where the boys build character by spending all day, every day digging holes exactly five feet wide and five feet deep. There ...more
Published August 20th 1998 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan StroudThe Giver by Lois Lowry
YA & MG Books WITHOUT Romance
6th out of 279 books — 95 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury1984 by George OrwellAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Best of Banned and Challenged Books
55th out of 195 books — 228 voters

More lists with this book...

I am very sad that I never read this as a young person, because I think that I would have loved it even more than I do now. I think that it probably would have blown my mind. I have to applaud Louis Sachar for being so courageous in a children’s novel.

Effortlessly weaving together the past, present, and ancient history of these characters, Mr. Sachar examines the impact of our history and the nature of hope and human compassion, all while maintaining a light, humorous quality. This is a book for
Shayantani Das
No wonder this book has got a Newberry Award. Its 200 something pages of pure awesomeness! By beautifully executing such an ingenious concept, Louis Sachar has made me his fan.

Stanley Yelnats is an over sized preteen who is falsely accused of stealing. He is provided with the option to choose between jail and camp green lake. Stanley is not well of, and has never been to camp, so his choice is obvious. Unfortunately though, Camp green lake is not the usual camp. He gets his fair share of adventu
Dec 16, 2015 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2010
Funny story: I'm trying to shelve this book, and can't remember if it had been banned (but I thought it had - google confirmed). At the same time, my friend Allison and I are chatting on Google Chat, and she starts ranting about how ridiculous book banning is (an opinion with which I agree wholeheartedly). Anyway, the conversation went like this:

me: Is Holes a banned book? I can't remember
allison: dunno... the whole concept of banned books is stupid. I mean, you could find a reason to gripe abo
May 30, 2011 Ranee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew of a friend who lost everything when her father started digging holes. You see, her dad was a treasure hunter. And to be a treasure hunter, you are supposed to be well equipped and with good manpower. You must also be in possession of a reliable map and a lot of time. You also need a lot of money to be able to acquire all the above things. Unfortunately, my friend's father only acquired a fake map, swindlers for company and equipment worth nothing when you're digging the wrong hole. Littl ...more
Oct 25, 2014 KristenR rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but it seems I'm no longer absolutely cool in my daughter's eyes. I could understand if her particular issues with me were current fashion or "the" things to do while hanging out with friends, but books? BOOKS?!? Oh, the pain!

I don't say anything about the girly girl preteen drivel she loves to read (after all, I occasionally read girly girl grownup drivel) and I recommend a wide range of books (while keeping in mind she doesn't have the same penchant for s
Jun 01, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was picking up some books at the resale shop and for some reason found myself browsing in the children’s books. It seemed like the usual fare at first, some Dr. Seuss, a mangy copy of a Clifford book, a few ratty Choose Your Own Adventure paperbacks, Hugh Hefner’s autobiography, some smut called “The Very Virile Viking”, and “Pimp” by Iceberg Slim. Tucked amongst all this tawdry trash was something called “Holes”, which seemed to make sense sandwiched between “Pimp” and Hef’s life saga.

I soon
Mary Taitt
Feb 05, 2008 Mary Taitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Mary by: Erwin
Shelves: young-adult
Holes, by Louis Sachar, 5/5. It was really good; I loved it. It's a young adult novel from which a movie was made. I have not seen the movie, but I hope to. The book is a Newberry Award Winner.

Stanley Yelnats is falsely accused of stealing a pair of sneakers and set to Camp Green Lake, for criminal boys. To build character, the boys get up at 4:30 every morning and dig holes--big holes. If they find anything unusual, they are supposed to report it. But the warden isn't looking for fossils or pre
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Holes is one of my favorite books of all time. The whole thing is just so clever. The writing style is simple, but not boring. Every character is amazingly developed and believable. I like how the story of the present and the story of the past connect to each other perfectly in the end. And the movie version is really good, too! I highly suggest this book to everyone.
Nov 15, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this author did an especially clever job on the way he set up the story. He flipped back-and-forth between generations, never getting confusing, never giving information too soon, never giving information too late. This was very fun to read.
Oct 19, 2015 Kaya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful and studious read. I can't say anything bad about the book, since every chapter made perfect sense. It just didn't bring out any emotion in me. Also, I found myself a bit bored throughout the flashbacks. Mostly, I think the biggest problem is that I'm too old for this book, even though I know it sounds a little pretentious.

Stanley's family was cursed by a gypsy because of his great great great Pig-stealing-Grandpa. His dad tries to make a formula to get rid of the smell of old worn o
Holes is the first installment in Louis Sachar's middle grade/young adult series titled: Holes. Again, I'm so happy to say I've found joy in reading along with my 5th grade son. This academic year has been full of fun required reading and that makes me so happy for him. It's hard to be excited about required reading but it helps so much when the content is entertaining.

I watched the film adaptation of Holes prior to reading the book, but I'm happy to say the two are almost exactly the same. Wel
Anna Aguirre
Apr 11, 2008 Anna Aguirre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love! Kids love it, too. A great novel about inner strength and persistence.
Everybody knows who this man is, right?

I mean, I'm looking over the reviews for this book on the front page and I can find no mention. There's not a whisper of the author's previous successes. I'm absolutely flabbergasted that the word "Wayside" is not coming up in any of my "control+F" searches. Absolutely nothing.

"Sideways Stories from Wayside School"?! Really?! The absolute greatest story about an elementary school ever told? The one built sideways accidentally, with no 13th floor? Mrs. Gorf?
Shoa Khan
"If only, if only," the woodpecker sighs,
"The bark on the tree was as soft as the skies."
While the wolf waits below, hungry and lonely,
Crying to the moo-oo-oon,
"If only, If only.”

OH. MY. GOD! 5 FREAKING STARS are simply not enough to do justice to this little gem of a book!
My first fulll-length read of 2016, and I couldn't have asked for a better book! And I just happened to pick it up by chance. It so happened that I was looking for an audiobook for my daily commute, and that bumped this dese
Mar 16, 2012 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book really surprised me and surpassed all of my expectations for it. I loved the characters and thought the story itself was clever and nicely laid out. I never got the feeling that the author was talking down to his audience because this is a young adult novel, which is a big pet peeve of mine. Stanley and Zero were a great pair, though Zero was my favorite, and I was kept in constant suspense waiting for the next bad shoe to drop.
Muhammad Galal
Nov 25, 2015 Muhammad Galal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
خلاصة القصّة : المال الحلال أبدًا لا يضيع !
-- أحيانًا تسوقُك الأقدار لمعاناة تكون سببًا في خلاصك من ذنوبك و سعادتك فيما بعد ،
فاصبر و لا تجزع و دع قطار الحياة يسير بكَ إلى منتهاه .
-- و تخلّص " ستانلي " من إثم جدّ جدّه و كتب بيده نهاية لعنة استمرّت أكثر من مائة عام ، و سينتهون قريبًا من كيل السبُاب لجدّ جدّه السيء القذر المقزّز سارق الخنزير ...!
-- بالرغم أنّ تصنيف القصّة أدب أمريكي للأطفال ، إلّا إنّها أعجبتني جدًا ووجدتها أفضل بكثير من الأدب المكتوب للكبار.
-- " ساشار " تنقّل بخفّة يُحسَد عليْها ب
Aug 14, 2016 AMEERA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
absolutely I enjoyed interesting book I'm happy to read it
Sara Kamjou
Jun 05, 2016 Sara Kamjou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ترکیبی جذاب از داستانهایی که به صورت موازی روایت میشوند و به تصویر کشیدن یک نسبیت جالب از زندگی آدمها. گودالها را دوست داشتم و یک نفس خواندمش. با اینکه لوییس سکر داستانی به ظاهر ساده را روایت میکند، احساس خستگی یا پیش پا افتاده بودن به آدم دست نمیدهد. ای کاش میشد بهش . بدهم! خواندنش خیلی لذتبخش بود.
بخشهای ماندگار کتاب:
منظورم این نیست که کار راحتیه. هیچ کاری تو زندگی راحت نیست. اما این دلیل نمیشه که ناامید بشیم. اگر با جون و دل یه کاری رو بکنی از پیشرفت خودت مت
Mar 17, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2001
I read this while working at the bookstore. People kept coming in and saying "Do you have that book - Holes?" and finally I signed out a copy and read it to see what all the fuss was. It was a really good read! I immediatly understood why everyone was making a fuss over the book and why it was going to be made into a movie. (I never did see the movie.)

Mary JL
Aug 25, 2013 Mary JL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone age 11 on up
Recommended to Mary JL by: Several recommendations on GR
I know this book won the Newberry Medal--and other awards. But I must review my books for me--I rate it a very good, strong 3 stars but no higher. Defintely worth reading for anyone, however. I also freely admit--had I read this at age 12, I WOULD have rated it four stars.

First, tops marks to the author for interlinking two stories--Stanley's incarceration at Camp Green Lake and the earlier tale of Kate Barlow. The matching and interweaving of the two plot lines is well done.

I would have liked a
Rachel Hartman
Apr 23, 2012 Rachel Hartman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think it could be done, but we finally found it: a chapter book my son and I both enjoyed equally. It wasn't too scary for him (at least not once it became clear that Stanley really was going to be able to dig that first hole -- B was super worried about him), and it wasn't too tedious for me. We both looked forward to reading it together, and even made excuses to read longer than usual each evening because we were enjoying it so much.

I enjoyed watching my son piece together past and pr
Feb 18, 2016 Marina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, own
I think this is a fantastic children's book. But maybe I'm biased because I love the movie so much. And I'm so shocked because the movie and the book are basically identical.

Stanley is a great protagonist. I wish he'd undergone a little more development, but I think he did learn to stick up for himself a little. But I think Zero/Hector is definitely my favorite. Aside from Sam/Kate of course *weeps*. Thanks to reading this book I know that the real villain here is Hattie Parker. She's the one w
So nun kommt hier die richtige und nicht die ursprüngliche irrümliche Bewertung, die mal wieder von meiner Alterssichtigkeit (Wenn Schasaugate sich am Handy vertippen :D ) verursacht wurde.

Was für ein wundervolles, großartiges und entzückendes Jugendbuch, über das ich zufällig in einem offenen Büchertauschregal im Einkaufszentrum gestolpert bin und das gaaanz laut "Nimm mich" gefüstert hat.

Löcher hat irgendwie alles, was meiner Meinung nach ein altersgerechtes, aber dennoch spannendes, anspruchs
Jan 06, 2016 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I never had this in my "currently reading" list, but I had to jump on it for the following reasons:

1) My friend Mitchell read it recently and reminded me of it,

2) I remembered we actually have a copy of this handy,

3) It wouldn't be hard to complete before the end of the year, and

4) It fits with a running theme of "books that have been made into movies", of which I've read more than a dozen this year (Tuck Everlasting, The Time Machine, I Robot, I am Number Four, Stardust, Gulliver's Trave
Dec 10, 2012 Eden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally went back and read this, and... stupendous. The fashion in which Louis Sachar unfolds his three stories -- four, if you count Zero's separately -- is pure wonder, 100% not from concentrate straight from the spring of genius. This is probably the only classic in elementary schools that I fully support. <3

While Stanley is the protagonist (and good thing too -- he's the one who the reader will feel closest, too), the novel really belongs to a cast of characters spanning countries and g
Spencer Johnston
Holes by Louis Sachar is a mystery/adventure novel about a boy named Stanley Yelnats. Stanley was from an economically disadvantaged family. He was accused of a theft that he did not commit. At his trial, Stanley is found guilty and has a choice of going to jail or a juvenile work prison called Camp Green Lake. He thinks carefully and decides on giving Camp Green Lake a chance.

The majority of the book is about Stanley's hard labor at Green Lake, the mystery surrounding Green Lake and Stanley's
Jul 29, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I can't believe I didn't read this when I was younger!!! Thank god I finally picked it up and gave it a shot.

Holes is about Stanley, an overweight young boy who after accidentally stealing a shoe (yes, accidently!) goes to trial for theft. He is then forced by the judge to pick between jail time or go to Camp Green Lake. Stanley, of course, chooses the camp option thinking it will be fun and games and at l
Paulo Flores Chico
If you don't know this, I love young adult novels. This one especially. It might seem like just another book about young boys dealing with pride, losers versus bullies, loyalty and masculinity. But there's actually really cute and romantic story in it all.
Aug 24, 2015 Annet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so much fun! I used to take clippings from magazines with book reviews, found an old clipping about this book cleaning up the house recently and thought...mmm... let's read this one. Timing was impeccable. I went through an explosive challenging period of really hard work and high pressure in the office and this book made me look forward to reading if only a few pages when coming home. A quirky funny story about a boy called Stanley who is sent to 'Green Camp Lake', a boy's detentio ...more
Apr 23, 2009 3Malik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary- Holes was a book about a family that was cursed by a gypsy because of Stanley's great great great Pig stealing Grandpa. Stanley's dad is trying to make a formula that will get rid of the smell of very old worn out sneakers. Stanley's family curse is making them unsuccessful in what he trying to do. Stanley is sent to Camp Green Lake because he was accused of stealing from an orphanage. He met Zero at the Camp. Zero ran away fro the camp Stanley went after him. Stanley didn't know Zero ...more
  • A Single Shard
  • A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2)
  • The Great Gilly Hopkins
  • Bloomability
  • The Higher Power of Lucky (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #1)
  • Hoot
  • Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze
  • Roller Skates
  • The View from Saturday
  • Kira-Kira
  • Saffy's Angel (Casson Family, #1)
  • Al Capone Does My Shirts (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #1)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • The Tale of Despereaux
Louis Sachar (pronounced Sacker), born March 20, 1954, is an American author of children's books.

More about Louis Sachar...

Holes (2 books)
  • Small Steps (Holes, #2)

86 trivia questions
6 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“If only, if only," the woodpecker sighs,
"The bark on the tree was as soft as the skies."
While the wolf waits below, hungry and lonely,
Crying to the moo-oo-oon,
"If only, If only.”
“It was all because of his no-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing great-great-grandfather!” 127 likes