Start by marking “The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)

The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  50,648 Ratings  ·  2,350 Reviews
The Field Guide sets up the story of the Grace children—13-year-old Mallory and 9-year-old twins Jared and Simon—who with their mother move into the dilapidated Spiderwick Estate only to quickly find themselves sucked into a dark and fascinating world of faeries.
Published May 1st 2003 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Field Guide, please sign up.

Danielle Swift I am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a…moreI am a 4th grade teacher and I have this series in my library. It's written at exactly a 4th grade level and my students love to read it. I have a pair of students who have read all the way to book 4 so far. The plot isn't scary and is full of lots of magic that they enjoy. Both boys and girls seem to enjoy the series equally. (less)
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
What To Read After Harry Potter
70th out of 1,351 books — 5,065 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
29th out of 913 books — 1,943 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 24, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing
I'm reading these books for the second time. But it's been years since I picked them up, and it's the first time I'm reading them with my son. And both of those things make a huge difference to my experience.

First, and perhaps most importantly, my little boy likes them. He's about five an a half, which is younger than the target age for these books, but he's into them.

(In the interest of full disclosure, Oot isn't the most critical of readers at this point in his life. He pretty much likes all
Mar 14, 2016 Bangadybangz rated it really liked it
This was such a fun little book! Short and sweet, quirky and magical, loved it! I've always been a fan of anything to do with fairies and folklore, so I'm definitely pumped to delve more into this exciting world!
Mar 24, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Everything about the packaging and promotion of this book is delightful...the title, the mysterious notes obscuring the back cover synopses, the inclusion of a letter from the three children protagonists to the author. All of that is very nice, but after reading the first installment, I can't help but feel a little robbed.

First of all, and forgive me for this, I can't help comparing the books to a more cleverly written and altogether smarter series, Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Eve
Taylor Knight

I read the Spiderwick Chronicles back when I was quite young, maybe eight or nine. My sister and I read the crap out these books (we must have read them 15 times, no joke) and I've been wanting to revist this series and the wonderful fantasy world that Holly and Tony created for awhile now but I've finally gotten around to it.

The writing partnership of Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi is remarkable and this series is by far some of the most well written literature that I've ever read.

The three ma
Nov 12, 2015 Becky rated it it was ok
Just your typical 'move into an old creepy house, weird stuff starts happening, one of the kids gets blamed, and then they find a book that explains the existence of fairies/faeries/fey which solves their problems... while at the same time causing many more problems'.

Happens every day.

Also, I'm no expert in the sport of fencing, but I'm pretty sure that they don't call the weapon a sword, and someone who is serious about fencing, as Mallory apparently is, would know that.

I think that this boo
Aug 08, 2015 P rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
เดียวนีกลายเปนคนชอบอานหนังสือเดกทีมีภาพประกอบไปแลว สำหรับสไปเดอรวิกนีเคยดูหนังเมือหลายปีกอน ชอบนะ พอมาอานแลวรูสึกวาหนังสือนีเลาเรืองแบบกระชับมาก ไมยืดเยือ ภาพประกอบกสวย ใหอารมณลึกลับนาติดตาม ติดแคตรงเนือเรืองเลมแรกสันมาก เปนการปูพืนไปเลมตอๆไป แตอานแลวติดใจจนตองหยิบเลมตอขึนมาอานทันที

(view spoiler)
As I said in an earlier comment, I love the size and feel of this small book. That may sound an odd comment, but I am a book lover of the real deal books, not electronic ones. I love books you can hold in your hands, feel and smell the paper, books you can caress. It's just such a lovely size; I could hold it in one hand whilst I read. Even the fonts captured me. This is the sort of book that I would have cherished as a young girl, collecting all of the series and placing them in a special spot ...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
Fairies are DANGEROUS. And they don't want you to know about them. I love that this book takes the question of fairies and brownies and pixies seriously, it gives this story its power. I love the setting: the rambling old house out in the country, the secret room, the shadowy feeling that something is watching...
And I love the format of this series, with the uneven edges to the pages, the small size of the books. They just feel cool.
This is the first book of the series, and it starts off strong
Aug 05, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
This had everything a children's book should have: imagination. This was really great!
Peter Monn
Oct 19, 2016 Peter Monn rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Check out my review on my booktube channel at
Cait • A Page with a View
Sep 11, 2016 Cait • A Page with a View rated it really liked it
Shelves: faeries
I might be out of the target age range for this series just a wee bit buuuuut better late than never.
Dec 15, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lemony Snicket Fans
Shelves: ya, 2005, fantasy, adventure
The First book in a series of Five.

The story is about the Grace Children: Mallory who is 13 and the 9 year-old twins Jared and Simon. When their father leaves the family, mom and the kids move into the Spiderwick estate - a large crumbling mansion that they inherited from their “crazy” Aunt. The house is big enough for Mallory to practice her fencing, Simon to keep his stray animals he loves and for Jared to ....well... mostly just be pissed off. He isn’t handling the whole abandonment thing re
Aug 30, 2015 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I don't plan to go into great detail about the storyline, because I'm a firm believer that a story can only be truly reviewed by a person's impression of the story. I think it would be a waste of time to go over the plot again...that's what the title page of the book is for.

This was such a great start to what I can imagine will be a very strange and chaotic adventure for Jared, Simon, and Mallory! Short, simple, and to the point, I cannot wait to dive into the rest of the books. I feel it will n
Richie Chagas
Apr 29, 2015 Richie Chagas rated it it was ok
Stefan Yates
May 03, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-room
I wasn't too sure what I was getting into when I started this book and I must say that I was much more than pleasantly surprised. The story centers on a mother and her three children, a set of twins and their older sister, who have just moved into the old dilapidated house that has been in the family for years. Very soon after moving in, strange occurrences begin to happen and the children dedicate themselves to solving the mystery.

This is a well written introduction to the series and the style
Mar 25, 2008 Pepper rated it it was amazing
This is the first chapter book I have started to read with my six year old son. He truly enjoys the story and with the help of the descriptions the authors give, he is learning to "imagine" the story in his head. The beautiful illustrations scattered throughout the book help to keep him interested as well. My eight year old nephew also loves reading this series on his own.
I feel it is a wonderful story. The first book sets the stage and gives lots of background information. The length of the boo
Heidi Elmore
Sep 24, 2007 Heidi Elmore rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children and fanciful people :)
I love this book. It is a childrens book and I read it in one day, but it was a great escape. I have a feeling the other ones in this series will be good as well.

Something to look for in the book: between some of the paragraphs there are little black figures of different fairies and they create an optical illusion - as you read and concentrate on one line, when you switch to another line, or look around the room or whatnot, it looks like there are little farie outlines. This had to have been in
Mar 24, 2016 Reddish rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-pov
Debo decir, sin vergüenza alguna, que soy muy fan de la película Las Crónicas de Spiderwick. Es por eso mismo que he decidido leer los libros. De momento la cosa me está gustando bastante. Las ilustraciones le dan un toque fantástico a la historia. Ya explicaré qué me ha parecido la saga en general en el último tomo, puesto a que son bastante cortitos, y no creo que tarde mucho en leerlos todos.
Jul 01, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
A fun and quick read.
Karen Syed
Mar 10, 2008 Karen Syed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves fantasy
Recommended to Karen by:
Shelves: kids
Since the book is very short I truly expected to find the typical kid's fantasy, I was disappointed. I mean it is a kid's fantasy, but it is so much more. Take a few words, sprinkle in some charm, and add numerous awesome illustrations and you have an excellent book. Getting to know the Grace kids in "The Spiderwick Chronicles" is going to be so much more than an adventure.

If I had to pick one element of "The Field Guide" I don't think I could. The kids are kids, with problems and personalities
Raoofa Ibrahim
Jan 24, 2016 Raoofa Ibrahim rated it really liked it
A family moved to a new house .. 2 twin brothers,their sister,and their mom will have to adjust in this new life.
when they finished lugging their suitcases, A little adventure will begin. they will find a dumbwaiter and of course they will try to see where it leads and thats when the story will begin.

Note: If you like Harry potter you'll enjoy this book, it mentions boggart, pixies and brownies(elf that does housework secretly).
Todo comienza cuando los tres hermanos Mallory, Simon y Jared Grace se mudan junto con su madre recién divorciada a la vieja mansión de su tia abuela Lucinda. Al llegar todos los problemas recaen en Jared, de personalidad aventurera y problemático, culpándolo de todos los desastres producidos, sin saber que realmente son causados por seres de un mundo fantástico.

Es un cuento corto que hace méritos al género. Sin entrar en complicaciones, propone un contexto familiar de los protagonistas para, de
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Jun 28, 2014 Pranta Ghosh Dastider rated it it was ok
The Book started and the book ended.

A very little book I would say, and for very ignorant audience, the story ends before it could start! Almost nothing happen in the book and that made me sad.

The story is about three siblings and how they discovered the magic/faeries in their world. But even the discovery itself was too insignificant!

Many things happened too simply, and felt like that a few things were on writers mind and she didn't explain. Perhaps more of explanations and detailed story li
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
This was . . . okay.

Nothing really interesting happened other than the Grace kids being mischieviously pranked on and scuttling around finding this boggart.

I've watched the movie so I could guess what comes next. So yeah, The Field Guide didn't awe me as much (The movie was altered a bit but that was to be expected) Too bad, but I do like the illustrations, the little poems in the book (which weren't shown in the movie, and I think its pretty clever) and the atmospheric details I can recognize a
Aug 31, 2008 Jess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids looking for a fun set of chapter books
Recommended to Jess by: fantasy class reading
Along with their recently divorced and broke mom, twins Jared (9) and Simon and sister Mallory (13) move into a decrepit Victorian house that holds all sorts of mysteries and creatures.

Fun, good characters, and excellent illustrations.

I glanced at some of the comments here and plenty of people seem to be finding fault with the fact that the book is short. Well, it's a chapter book; it ought to be short. I'm not a fan of books whose endings are little more than a set up for the next book (it's ch
Feb 12, 2015 Justine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Un peu rapide, mais un premier tome qui m'a bien plu ^^
Libby N
Mar 28, 2016 Libby N rated it really liked it
Jared Grace is a 12 year old boy with a twin brother and older sister, Simon and Malory. After there parents got a divorce, the three of them and there mom moved into an old rickety house that used to belong to there great aunt Lucinda who is now in a nursing home. When crazy things started happening to them, like Malory getting her hair tied to her bed and the kitchen getting trashed, they all blamed Jared since he has been getting into fights at school. One day Jared had suspicions on where th ...more
Nov 11, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did a series review of the Spiderwick Chronicles on my blog. Check it out if you're interested. =)

Kevin Cambronero
¿Qué puedo decir de este libro? Es tan corto...
Yo creo que juntando los cinco libros de la saga se haría un libro con una extensión un poco más aceptable.

La verdad es que casi no recuerdo nada del libro. Lo que sí recuerdo es que ganas de seguir con la saga no me dieron.
Why did they never make a sequel to the movie? 10 78 Jun 20, 2014 12:36PM
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • Igraine the Brave
  • Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm, #4)
  • The Water Sprites (Fairy Realm, #8)
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Arthur and the Minimoys
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • The New Kid at School (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #1)
  • The Snow Spider (Snow Spider Trilogy, #1)
  • Worlds Apart (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #14)
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones,The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in J ...more
More about Holly Black...

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)